Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to ask to be hired as a Dev
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to ask to be hired as a Dev

Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

Looking at https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/178561/need-to-hire-a-dev-to-help-transition-to-vanilla-4-x made me wonder:

If people want to be hired to do a Dev job why wouldn't they post a link to their website, a copy of their resume, or point to examples of their work?

Thanked by 1KermEd

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

How to ask to be hired to receive BilohBucks?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

It's not a real job, so no-one treats it as such.

• Because developers doesn’t have time for resumes

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

Clearly state how much compensation will be involved. I hate salary negotiations.

• devpdevp Member
    edited April 2022

@Not_Oles said: Looking at https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/178561/need-to-hire-a-dev-to-help-transition-to-vanilla-4-x made me wonder:

If people want to be hired to do a Dev job why wouldn't they post a link to their website, a copy of their resume, or point to examples of their work?

Most Active Community members know contributions of other members here at LET forum.

There is a level of trust and commitment preset here among members and thats the reason regular visitors eventually becomes member of LET forum.

Every member holds equality at LET forum.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • devpdevp Member

@yoursunny said:
    How to ask to be hired to receive BilohBucks?

@Nekki said:
    It's not a real job, so no-one treats it as such.

@Jorbox said:
    Because developers doesn’t have time for resumes

@lentro said:
    Clearly state how much compensation will be involved. I hate salary negotiations.

Agreed.

Thanked by 1tjn
  • henixhenix Member

You don't, they will ask you

• raviravi Member

@Jorbox said:
    Because developers doesn’t have time for resumes

I second this....

Its better to ask for past woks or linkdin profile url.

• henrymillerhenrymiller Member
    edited April 2022

maybe they don't want to publically dox themselves? there's also roughly zero information on the exact job. So why would devs bend over and apply if also zero effort was invested in trying to find devs.

Usually this extreme lack of info on "looking for dev" is a huge red flag tbh.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

Probably asking at wrong place.

• zedzed Member

should this be in tutorials

• LeeLee Veteran

@zed said: should this be in tutorials

Should it even exist?

• KermEdKermEd Member
    edited April 2022

@Not_Oles said:
    Looking at https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/178561/need-to-hire-a-dev-to-help-transition-to-vanilla-4-x made me wonder:

I can't speak for others, but in my case, I am very busy with a sizable team, and my job is very much in demand with about 18 months worth of projects 'on the books'.

As an established company, we are picky on what we do. We have project cost & value minimums - it isn't worth the time to invoice and does not connect with our values. I also do not accept personal paid projects of any size or value, and have had 20 more interesting projects already pitched to me over the last few days.

This project isn't saving babies - it's a vanilla migration (about as much fun as watching paint dry) and the post doesn't come across as a serious proposal. Plus I don't think anyone wants to give discounted work to some guy on a paid vanilla forum that just paywalled and cold invoiced a chunk of his user base.

• KermEdKermEd Member
    edited April 2022

Also - it is uncommon to have a professional pitch / proposal on something like a vanilla forum. He asked it as an offhanded question, he's going to get offhanded replies.

That said a lot of low cost studios that need to keep projects coming in by volume while likely hit his inbox at midnight tonight after reading it.

Most of the proposals he gets are unlikely to come via the forums. I personally recieve about 20 emails a day from outsourcing agencies trying get us to send them work. But they usually email overnight (and no disrespect to them for trying, they need to hustle too). But I suspect most proposals won't come from direct forum users and eventually he will find a low cost outsourcing team that is happy to do the work.

Thanked by 1devp
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

BTW deving is hard work especially with the amount of idiots out there that expect you to quote exactly on a project that they are developing for the first time. I have come across people who say 'it is easy work and should be fast to fix', why then don't ya just do it yourself then why don't you.

• devpdevp Member

@risharde said:
    BTW deving is hard work especially with the amount of idiots out there that expect you to quote exactly on a project that they are developing for the first time. I have come across people who say 'it is easy work and should be fast to fix', why then don't ya just do it yourself then why don't you.

Classic.

Thanked by 1risharde
  • Because developers wouldn't expect well-paid job offer from a low-end forum. :)

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

@try4lontalk said:
    Because developers wouldn't expect well-paid job offer from a low-end forum. :)

How much per hour is well-paid for you? Thanks!

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Not_Oles said:

@try4lontalk said:
    Because developers wouldn't expect well-paid job offer from a low-end forum. :)

How much per hour is well-paid for you? Thanks!

10 push-ups per hour.

• @KermEd said:

@Not_Oles said:

I can't speak for others, but in my case, I am very busy with a sizable team, and my job is very much in demand with about 18 months worth of projects 'on the books'.

As an established company, we are picky on what we do. We have project cost & value minimums - it isn't worth the time to invoice and does not connect with our values. I also do not accept personal paid projects of any size or value, and have had 20 more interesting projects already pitched to me over the last few days.

This project isn't saving babies - it's a vanilla migration (about as much fun as watching paint dry) and the post doesn't come across as a serious proposal. Plus I don't think anyone wants to give discounted work to some guy on a paid vanilla forum that just paywalled and cold invoiced a chunk of his user base.

Same with our team. We keep having to tell clients we're available a year out and they're all still lining up. Fortunate for us since it gives us the option to pick and choose which projects we'd like to engage with. Also means that we've already grown 300% in the last two years and we're looking to double our size again this year.

But yeah. Pretty much. This kind of job is just a one-off contracting job. I'd highly recommend the LE* team look to project-based freelancing sites such as Upwork or similar platforms to find someone to do this. I think it'll be harder to get qualified candidates on this forum without paying for the time for them to get familiar with the Vanilla codebase as well. Maybe another idea would be to look for someone to hire on Vanilla's own support forums or something.

@HalfEatenPie said: Same with our team. We keep having to tell clients we're available a year out and they're all still lining up. Fortunate for us since it gives us the option to pick and choose which projects we'd like to engage with. Also means that we've already grown 300% in the last two years and we're looking to double our size again this year.

What kind of work do you do? How about a link to your website, please? Thanks!

• How did you get hired as professional forumer and LEB editor if I may ask?

Thanked by 2Not_Oles adly
  • lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

@Not_Oles said: well-paid

Preface: the numbers I'm giving are for very competent engineers for large software projects who I'd call 10x'ers. A typical 1x engineer that can handle Vanilla editing can be found for way less, and you can find people on Upwork for like $10/hour. You're not going to need a real software engineer.

But still, here's some "insight" if you're curious about smart engineering compensation packages nowadays at the top tech companies for the smartest engineers:

Personally, if it's an interesting project, I'd take $100/hr, but I have friends whose minimum is $200/hour. Anything less, and it's not worth the time. This is also why my startup don't sell on LET, haha -- we're interested in selling servers for $100k or $1m, not in selling for $10. I know someone who turned down a $25k/month job at a wall street firm because he thought it'd be too boring. When the recruiter asked where he was going to go next, he told the recruiter that he'd prefer to be unemployed :joy:. Then again, he's worked at Google, so he knows his stuff, and he's probably going to find a job equally high paying at a better company.

As an SWE myself, I'm most interested in climbing the ladder to those $300k/yr-$400k/yr jobs. If we work for less, our goal is to get the experience needed to go to that next level. So any smart engineer is going to do work for a company that they feel will boost their reputation, resume-wise, if they can't find a company that pays in that range.

• I've heard of $1m signing bonuses for SWEs to leave a FANG company
    • I personally know people who have been "unassigned" for an entire year during a reorg and still been paid $350k/yr
    • Startups by students still in college with zero experience are getting more than $1m off of an idea (I've worked at one...)
  • @lentro said: I'd take $100/hr, but I have friends whose minimum is $200/hour.

Someone honestly needed to say that to set the expectation right.

Understanding the design of an application and implementing a feature in a sensible manner would take even the best of devs a few hours to a few days (depending upon its size), and those low-end amounts like $100 to implement an entire feature in an app simply doesn't get you people who can be described as "competent".

I've always wondered why people advertise the rates they do on Fiverr and Upwork. Even if you do live a developing country, there are many software engineering companies operating out of these regions who pay better than those aforementioned gig work rates.

Thanked by 2lentro Not_Oles
  • @lentro said: Startups by students still in college with zero experience are getting more than $1m off of an idea (I've worked at one...)

When I was working on our startup we got some decent funding from Gates Foundation and the UN (with additional funding from VC firms). It's not nothing, but a good leadership team will get you so far. Every 1 mil you raise will give you like 10 months in runway. The best part of that funding is that it's non-dilluting. When we were much younger with less funding we were using the living crap out of BuyVM and DigitalOcean. Even then I was very selective with what we put where and who we work with. After a certain amount of growth you end up wanting that more personalized touch those larger cloud services offer (account managers and such) as well as the added-on-value they offer. When I say Microsoft Azure's Data Science services are absolute tits and nothing else on the market really can compete with them in terms of value-add, I mean it.

@lentro said: As an SWE myself, I'm most interested in climbing the ladder to those $300k/yr-$400k/yr jobs. If we work for less, our goal is to get the experience needed to go to that next level. So any smart engineer is going to do work for a company that they feel will boost their reputation, resume-wise, if they can't find a company that pays in that range.

Yeah that's the thing. That's a point where I can then say "yeah I feel comfortable now and I can coast." I can afford the luxuries I enjoy and spend time on things I enjoy spending time on. But also to get to that level you have to be specialized enough for it.

At a certain point you value your time more. I enjoy spending like an hour in Bash configuring all these "self-hosted" apps, but at the end of the day sometimes I don't really want to spend four hours migrating VMs from my dedicated server or fixing a borked backup script. I'd rather pay someone else or a service to handle it for me and have them deal with the problems. Life's short, you gotta enjoy it.

Thanked by 2lentro Not_Oles
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited April 2022

I've actually never tried to push going after any of these companies that pay so well. At first it was just the barrier of being not in the USA first of all where many of these companies live (of course that could be resolved by trying to legally become a resident). What really discouraged me in general from working with companies is the lack of true and real care. I don't expect people to treat me like a baby (with that being said, free lunchs - that's awesome!) but I feel lately like I'd rather not use my talent to make others filthy rich if they have no serious vested interest in my well being. I'm sorry if this sounds selfish but it's actually more on the lines of what I call 'somewhat fair' terms.

Even here in low end, in the years I've been here, I've seen providers here stick up for providers here about low pay yet I'm pretty sure those same providers are seeking to reach a rich status - if you're starting a business with the main goal of breaking even (I'd be shocked that that is what you want for the rest of your life).

I make no way near $100 USD per hour but I'm pretty sure I could turn down a lot of companies if I ever received that offer if I thought they were jerks (or had to work with incompetent / ignorant / excuse blaming managers).

P.S I must say, my decisions and thoughts here of course has kept me so to speak within the lower middle class most probably.

Thanked by 2Not_Oles devp
  • HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited April 2022

@Not_Oles said: What kind of work do you do? How about a link to your website, please? Thanks!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Management_consulting this is what I do.

I don't work in tech (or more specifically, tech is simply a tool I use as a means to an end. I don't consider myself a full SWE). My previous work with Catalyst and vpsB were out of interest for tech, but my main bread and butter is not related to tech.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • @HalfEatenPie said:
    But yeah. Pretty much. This kind of job is just a one-off contracting job. I'd highly recommend the LE* team look to project-based freelancing sites such as Upwork or similar platforms to find someone to do this. I think it'll be harder to get qualified candidates on this forum without paying for the time for them to get familiar with the Vanilla codebase as well. Maybe another idea would be to look for someone to hire on Vanilla's own support forums or something.

I agree this kind of project is exactly what Upwork/Guru exist for :)

Thanked by 2Not_Oles yoursunny

@drizbo said: How did you get hired as professional forumer and LEB editor if I may ask?

I had written articles elsewhere. People liked my articles. Google search also liked my articles. LEB/LET was looking for someone, and a friend recommended me. Pretty simple, really. You or anybody could do it. Just start and don't give up. :)

Anybody wanting to get started as a writer is invited to prepare a guest article for possible publication on Low End Box. It probably is a good idea to check in about the topic before investing a lot of time writing.

Best wishes from the Sonoran Desert, where it's forecast to make 100 degrees F today! ☀️

Thanked by 1drizbo

I went looking for Vanilla's own support forum for Vanilla. It seems to be https://open.vanillaforums.com/ :)