Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


VPS Providers that have IPv6 by default?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

VPS Providers that have IPv6 by default?

gzzgzz Member

Curious if I can find any. Sure there are a lot that have IPv6, but quite a few make you go through extra hoops (i.e. making a ticket) to get it. I want a provider that has it by default.

Any suggestions?

Thanked by 1xms
«13

Comments

  • HarambeHarambe Member

    Any hosts I use at this point have native v6. You're gonna need to narrow things down more - in terms of what specs you want, location(s), etc.

    BuyVM hands out a /64 with each VPS where you can manually assign individual IPs, as well as an optional routed /48 with rDNS delegation.

    Thanked by 1MannDude
  • gzzgzz Member
    edited April 9

    @Harambe said:
    Any hosts I use at this point have native v6. You're gonna need to narrow things down more - in terms of what specs you want, location(s), etc.

    BuyVM hands out a /64 with each VPS where you can manually assign individual IPs, as well as an optional routed /48 with rDNS delegation.

    Are there really that many hosts now that just support it? Few years ago I guess this thread would've made more sense.. :D was a lot harder back then

  • MannDudeMannDude Member, Host Rep

    Literally almost any provider does. I can't imagine a reason to NOT include it by default.

    Thanked by 3afn yoursunny Peppery9
  • gzzgzz Member

    @MannDude said:
    Literally almost any provider does. I can't imagine a reason to NOT include it by default.

    Do you guys support it?

  • HarambeHarambe Member

    @gzz said:

    Are there really that many hosts now that just support it? Few years ago I guess this thread would've made more sense.. :D was a lot harder back then

    Yeah, things have gotten better in the last couple years.

    You still need to avoid any hosts that primarily use Colocrossing though (racknerd, etc), since CC v6 is still a meme a decade later.

  • MannDudeMannDude Member, Host Rep

    @gzz said:

    @MannDude said:
    Literally almost any provider does. I can't imagine a reason to NOT include it by default.

    Do you guys support it?

    In Netherlands. I guess I should mention that we don't in Finland, but that's an issue with our upstream and making networking a headache. (Only mentioning that since we did recently reintroduce some Finland stock after having it unavailable for so long).

    BuyVM, Nexusbytes, LevelOneServers, Nexril, Vultr, etc are all providers I use for things like DNS, website mirrors, etc. All have it by default.

    Thanked by 2gzz Ian_Dot_Tech
  • KousakaKousaka Member
    edited April 9

    The best option for you would be BuyVM. They offer a /48 subnet for each VPS by default

    If you just want a /64, then there are also tons of choices.

    Thanked by 1gzz
  • spectraipspectraip Member, Patron Provider

    @gzz said:
    Curious if I can find any. Sure there are a lot that have IPv6, but quite a few make you go through extra hoops (i.e. making a ticket) to get it. I want a provider that has it by default.

    Any suggestions?

    We offer a /64 subnet by default.
    https://spectraip.net/vps/

  • I would expect any VPS provider that wants to be taken seriously in 2022 to provide IPv6 by default

  • I would expect any VPS provider that wants to be taken seriously in 2022 to provide IPv6 by default

  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator

    Are there any providers right now that offer VPS services with IPv6 only?

  • @jbiloh said:
    Are there any providers right now that offer VPS services with IPv6 only?

    I know @servarica_hani has some plans with v6 only.

  • Both Linode and Vultr provide IPv6 by default.

  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator

    @LiliLabs said:

    @jbiloh said:
    Are there any providers right now that offer VPS services with IPv6 only?

    I know @servarica_hani has some plans with v6 only.

    I'd be curious to know how well they sell.

  • @jbiloh said:
    Are there any providers right now that offer VPS services with IPv6 only?

    Justhost.ru does, you can buy VPS with IPv6 only, if you want IPv4 it will cost a bit more

  • MaouniqueMaounique Member
    edited April 13

    Depends what default means.
    For example, every KVM with Prometeus has a /64 allocated but not configured by default, there is a script to find out the settings and you can configure it if needed, there is no need for a ticket. OVZ/Xen has IPv6 already configured but you can also add the /64 if you would like as by default only a few addresses are added in config and NOT from the /64 you can get through the script. For the /64 extra there is no rDNS available in the panel, for that you really need a ticket.

  • terrahostterrahost Member, Patron Provider

    Hey :) We provide and configure IPv6 by default when you install a server in our control panel ENIGMA. Your additional /48 is also pre-routed.

  • First thing I do on every system is disable IPv6. Any reason to keep it on, to be honest?

    Thanked by 1MaxKVM
  • henixhenix Member

    Doesn't @yoursunny keep a track of this?

  • HostMediaHostMedia Member, Patron Provider

    I think a lot of providers offer IPv6 enabled by default these days (or at least should be), our VMs, during ordering you just tick the "Enable IPv6" option which will assign it automatically, nothing to action after that :smile:

  • rcy026rcy026 Member

    @dane_doherty said:
    First thing I do on every system is disable IPv6. Any reason to keep it on, to be honest?

    I'm the exact opposite, I disable IP4 on every server since I have no use for it. I have it enabled on a few external services that are facing legacy users that are 20 years behind, but that's it.

    One big advantage is that most of the internet noise from all the idiots disappear when you remove IP4 since most of them have not figured out how to use IPv6 yet. :)

  • hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

    I think most providers have ipv6 enabled these days , only lagging is some residential ISPs

  • Most provide it in the UK anyway, not sure where you are looking for?

  • rm_rm_ Member
    edited April 13

    @Maounique said: Depends what default means.
    For example, every KVM with Prometeus has a /64 allocated but not configured by default, there is a script to find out the settings and you can configure it if needed, there is no need for a ticket.

    Nearly nobody gets what the OP is asking and it is exactly this distinction -- if you install from a default template, does the booted VM have IPv6 with no further setup? In your case the answer is "no you do not".

    And I would disagree that "most" providers would have a "yes" in this question either.

    Further somewhat related, one might ask, how many providers set up IPv6 on the LG, and not just have "some IPv6" listed on the LG webpage (and fuck off), but have an actual AAAA record on the hostname that you access the LG with (so that one could simply mtr or ping -6 lg.location.provider.com).

    Next, craziest things, how about AAAA records on the provider website, billing and control panels? Nope, nobody actually cares, even those who "provide" IPv6 and are "all for it", in words only.

  • OBHostOBHost Member, Patron Provider

    IPv6 available /112 to /64 (without any additional cost)

  • dane_dohertydane_doherty Member
    edited April 13

    @rcy026 said: One big advantage is that most of the internet noise from all the idiots disappear when you remove IP4 since most of them have not figured out how to use IPv6 yet.

    I can do that just by forcing TLS 1.3 and HTTP/2. As an added bonus I won't lose half of residential users.

    HTTP/2 is a game changer in that regard because writing even a simple Python scraper becomes messy and has a learning curve that most people are too dumb for.

    Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @dane_doherty said: I can do that just by forcing TLS 1.3 and HTTP/2. As an added bonus I won't lose half of residential users.

    Hello there, tinyweasel! The HTTP/2 spec isn't that hard to understand, although I guess your intentions to scrape "various websites" is getting throttled due to the use of bot management products.

    But if your concern is only about making some requests on HTTP/2 then my recommendation would be to switch to Node which does have good support for the protocol. Won't solve your bot management problem though.

  • @stevewatson301 said: The HTTP/2 spec isn't that hard to understand

    Why would I ever want to read that?

    HTTP is synchronous. HTTP2 is asynchronous. You cannot trivially port existing scraper logic because of that.

    IMO main obstacle nowadays is the TLS "fingerprint", meaning the cipher order and extensions. That's what Cloudflare checks when determining if an user is a bot. Cipher order is easy to spoof, but the extensions are pretty much library-specific, and it just happens that none of the major browsers use OpenSSL, which powers most scraping tools and libraries.

  • CatixsCatixs Member, Patron Provider

    Vultr Linode etc.. would have an option for IPv6 when creating the VM

  • gzzgzz Member

    @rm_ said:

    @Maounique said: Depends what default means.
    For example, every KVM with Prometeus has a /64 allocated but not configured by default, there is a script to find out the settings and you can configure it if needed, there is no need for a ticket.

    Nearly nobody gets what the OP is asking and it is exactly this distinction -- if you install from a default template, does the booted VM have IPv6 with no further setup? In your case the answer is "no you do not".

    And I would disagree that "most" providers would have a "yes" in this question either.

    Further somewhat related, one might ask, how many providers set up IPv6 on the LG, and not just have "some IPv6" listed on the LG webpage (and fuck off), but have an actual AAAA record on the hostname that you access the LG with (so that one could simply mtr or ping -6 lg.location.provider.com).

    Next, craziest things, how about AAAA records on the provider website, billing and control panels? Nope, nobody actually cares, even those who "provide" IPv6 and are "all for it", in words only.

    Thanks -- you get what I was asking for perfectly. Was looking for a host that has it setup off the get-go, without any tickets // scripts // configuration.

    I decided to go with @MannDude's service in the Netherlands, worked fine and didn't require any setup on my behalf B)

Sign In or Register to comment.