Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cogent Communications shutting down Russian customers - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cogent Communications shutting down Russian customers

13»

Comments

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited March 2022

@DanSummer said:
    It's always anti west, anti civilization and pro Russia with them. At the same time they're posting their minds from Europe, Canada or the US while ordinary Russian citizens suffer because of their complacency.

Speak for yourself. This thread was already derailed by politics; but now you bring it into the offensive zone, by putting words and accusations on someone else. Thank you for your toxicity. I appreciate the fact that you think about me.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2022

@bark said: This isn't about Afghanistan, or Syria anymore. This is about the consequences of innocent dead children in modern successful cities and the violation of what has been historically perceived as 'freedom'.

Yeah, because the Syrian and Afghani kids are guilty by default because they are not white and not christian or at least jewish.
    This war is a consequence of that thinking. We should not forget that US support for Israel brought up 9/11, then that brought Iraq, Afghanistan and a lot of war crimes, crimes against humanity, the nerve the Americans have to talk about war crimes when they are shielding the people which perpetrated those "for Godly revenge".
    There can be no International Law as long as everyone expects only the other side to respect it. You tear the rulebook, you should not be surprised nobody else is following those rules.
    I want, like everyone else, Putin hanged for his crimes, but I want to see the war criminals hanged in the order they perpetrated those crimes.
    We don't stop hating on skin colour, religious, sexual orientation etc grounds, the wars wont stop and there will always be a product of our hatred lifted to power some place.
    Fortunately, there is an exit from this hate circle, we all die in a month or two.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

It's a great injustice to separate the technical aspects from the reality of what's happening. This thread should indeed be closed.

• @risharde said:
    It's a great injustice to separate the technical aspects from the reality of what's happening. This thread should indeed be closed.

Thread should have been closed right after the OP.

Thanked by 2vimalware risharde
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited March 2022

@risharde said: It's a great injustice to separate the technical aspects from the reality of what's happening. This thread should indeed be closed.

Everyone has their views on this sad situation, me too. I just do not feel the need to share and discuss them in a technical forum.

In this world, there is a place for everything, and what is achieved from discussing politics in a hosting forum other than provoking confrontation and division between people? A place like this could be used to create a nexus between human beings instead of division.

I do not want to sound disrespectful towards people which right now are in a very bad situation because of this conflict, it is an horrible and sad situation. I am doing my part elsewhere to help improve their situation a bit, but ranting in an internet forum is useless in my view.

Thanked by 3default vimalware uid0
  • FritzFritz Veteran

See, this kind of thread will invite those that are playing as or think they are as innocent as angel.

They forget other humanitarian problems do exist in other side of the world. Maybe they think only Ukraine is the only country that suffers.

They are just too naive.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@DanSummer said:
    To be honest, I think he and @default are living embodiment of successful Russian propaganda.
    It's always anti west, anti civilization and pro Russia with them.

Dumb theory and factually wrong but let's assume for a moment that you were right ... then: so what?

Everyone is entitled to his/her view. What some here are trying is the dirty old game of attacking people for having a view they don't like.
    Plus, we'd be but a tiny minority.

Plus consistently slandering a country is OK (in your view), even willy-nilly creating accusations out of thin air (e.g. calling Russia's operation a genocide and comparing them to the Nazis) is OK (in your view), nothing to complain about, but saying something, anything that you perceive to be "anti-western", oh no, oy vey, totally not acceptable, must be paid Putin trolls!

Thanked by 2default mikei
  • @jsg said:

@DanSummer said:
    To be honest, I think he and @default are living embodiment of successful Russian propaganda.
    It's always anti west, anti civilization and pro Russia with them.

Everyone is entitled to his/her view.

... but not his/her own facts.

The two do have a penchant for taking contrarian positions for the sake of it and backing exactly the wrong thing (see the Hostsolutions and benchmark threads as examples).

• @stevewatson301 said:
    The two do have a penchant for taking contrarian positions for the sake of it and backing exactly the wrong thing (see the Hostsolutions and benchmark threads as examples).

This guy really wants to trigger drama. He wants a discussion about a sanctioned country, to be mixed with politics and even involucration of 2021. The humanity!

@Maounique said:
    Fortunately, there is an exit from this hate circle, we all die in a month or two.

The end is nigh indeed.

edited March 2022

@default said: The end is nigh indeed.

I hope you do take it seriously this time :).
    Putin is two miscalculations away or only one. He will always escalate, the disaster in Ukraine can't be his legacy, he has to push until he has a victory of sorts. It won't happen.
    Case A:
    He gets bogged down in Ukraine, even with flattened cities Ukrainians continue to resist fiercely. He thinks using nukes might finally force a surrender a la Hiroshima/Nagasaki betting nobody will want to have a nuclear war with Russia. He will lose the bet.
    Case B:
    Ukraine does eventually fold after being completely destroyed with conventional weapons.
    He will bet NATO will not defend the Baltic states (they won't defend Moldova he will take next almost free because is not a member and a small country) and he will lose the bet. The next step would be to threaten with nukes and use them, because there is no way his army built on corruption and coercion could ever stand a chance to professional NATO armies, therefore will use the nukes betting everyone will run scared. It wont happen.

I have my money on case A because I think the Russian army can't conquer, and, even if it could, can't hold Ukraine, it will be extremely costly, so he has to use the nukes to scare them. It is not impossible, though, Putin would reorganize the army on the go a la Stalin and would eventually take Ukraine and chase away all Ukrainians or enough so the resistance would not put such big problems to hinder his next steps, but I think 80% case A will play out.

• @Maounique said:

@default said: The end is nigh indeed.

I hope you do take it seriously this time :).

You are way too serious, especially in speculation. Calm yourself, or you will die of stress. Chill yourself with some beer and enjoy the moment with loved ones.

There will be no war. In my opinion (I repeat: my opinion) there will be no conquering. Ukraine will have a pro-russian government, and will remain in a political independent uncertainty.

A statement has been made clear: Russia does not want NATO's full power at it's borders. That will be the end of great powers shaping the planet's chess board for now.

Sanctions will be lifted, and everybody will forget, just like everybody forgot about Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, and even Covid19. As a side note: we need to forget, otherwise we could not go on with our lives in the time we have left to live.

I strongly believe all this war was planned ahead by the secret group, to make us forget about the pandemic, but this is a different discussion.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited March 2022

@stevewatson301 said:

Everyone is entitled to his/her view.

... but not his/her own facts.

"facts"? OK, I see, spreading willy-nilly allegations is "based on facts" without any proof whatsoever (other than CNN, BBC, etc. lies).

But when evil pro (or at least not blindly anti) Russia users actually mention facts those are "not facts" because, uhm ... err ... it's the Russia-haters "majority" to decide what's a fact and what is not ...
    Example: up to this day, hour, and minute by far more ethnic Russians in Donbass have been killed by Ukrainians than Ukrainians were killed by russian troups in the whole Ukraine.
    But the former are irrelevant, not humans, while the latter are valuable human beings (although quite a few of them highly likely have killed russian civilians).

@default said:

@stevewatson301 said:

This guy really wants to trigger drama. He wants a discussion about a sanctioned country, to be mixed with politics and even involucration of 2021. The humanity!

And, to use his words, "a penchant" for ad hominems, as well as lies (the "contrarian position" I allegedly sometimes took invariably actually was simply not following the "crucify him/her, he/she is a witch" cult).

At the end of the day it's simple. The westerners have utterly ignored Russia's demands to respect international law and Russia's national security interests and demands. For decades. Just recently they basically said "f_ck off! You are not in a position to demand anything" when Russia demanded binding guarantees - well noted merely guarantees that the westerners stick to their own words and assurances.

You consistently treat a nuclear power arrogantly and ignorantly ... and you get war, duh, how (not at all) surprising!

Thanked by 4default mikei dosai Cybr
    edited March 2022

@default said: pro-russian government, and will remain in a political independent uncertainty.

A pro-russian government will have to be supported by many russian troops. After the carnage and destruction of all cities and many villages, the Ukrainian citizens left alive, whether they are ethnic Ukrainian, Russian, Jewish, Tartar, Polish, Greek, Romanian, Chinese, whatever, will hate the people that flattened their houses so much that Putin will need 2x the amount the of soldiers he needed to destroy the country just to keep his man in power. And what does pro-russian political independent means?
    It is true Putin does not have a real political affiliation, right-wing, left-wing, he doesn't need since there are no elections and no opposition, therefore no differentiation is needed, but when you are pro-russian, that can't be politically independent, you depend on Putin.
    There is also the possibility of clearing the country of all inhabitants through murder and emigration (the way Putin got rid of Tartars in Crimea), then colonizing it with Russians, but that is extremely improbable, not least because the Russian population is not enough to colonize Russia as it is now, let alone one sizeable new chunk.

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • xaocxaoc Member

So much evil in this world... Putler supporters are actually child killers, they should be reminded of that on a daily basis. Never let them forget what they've done, even if they're your relatives.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2022

@jsg said:
    Example: up to this day, hour, and minute by far more ethnic Russians in Donbass have been killed by Ukrainians than Ukrainians were killed by russian troups in the whole Ukraine.
    But the former are irrelevant, not humans, while the latter are valuable human beings (although quite a few of them highly likely have killed russian civilians).

Is that including or excluding military personnel? Obviously military personnel involved in an "operation" in a country against their consent are fair game. So really, what I'm interested in is how many civilians, and whether or not the perpetrators faced justice.

I've asked before for sources on this topic and you came back with nothing. I'll even read RT if that's all you've got.

• xaocxaoc Member

@jackb said:

@jsg said:

Is that including or excluding military personnel? Obviously military personnel involved in an "operation" in a country against their consent are fair game. So really, what I'm interested in is how many civilians, and whether or not the perpetrators faced justice.

I've asked before for sources on this topic and you came back with nothing. I'll even read RT if that's all you've got.

The donbas invasion is almost 8 years old, Ukraine invasion is just a few days old, can't compare the two even if they are the same thing(Russian Federation invasion of Ukraine). Also, this dude can't provide you any facts, just more fakes.

• Cogent? Hah, its for tourists.
    Folks still believe about some US based company can disturb the whole country communication system with own space satellites network in other part of the World. And loose millions of $$ to help UA regtime to get better and trying to save their asses. More shit into boots, more fun..

• @default said: I don't think Russia cares about Cogent too much; they can live without it. Besides, US is in $30 trillion debt, and they want to pressure Russia?! - I still find this funny.

Internet should be about freedom, unification, and communication between people. All these sanctions prove otherwise, and all these actions further diminish the trust in Internet as a whole, in the eyes of end consumers. Most likely people will want more privacy, and other countries will implement their own internet when all this will be done. What Cogent did is a great step towards promoting decentralization, but not a good step towards globalization.

You are right.

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2022

@xaoc said: Putler supporters are actually child killers

In all wars , child get affected most , example below which is done by World's democracy spreading country . why did you think child will not be affected in this war ?

• @hostdare said:

So it makes it okay for your supreme leader to do the same?

Also, please take down the kids naked picture, don't be a moron.

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2022

@NobodyInteresting said: So it makes it okay for your supreme leader to do the same?

Not really , but we should stop making so much fuss about this war. For world,this is just yet another war like Yemen,Syria,afghanistan,Libya,Vietnam etc etc unless you belong to the camp who thinks eye color matters ;p

That picture is not posted by me, just linked it . This was the iconic pic in Vietnam war to show how democracy is being taught to kids by invader

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2015/04/vietnam-war-napalm-girl-photo-today
    https://e.vnexpress.net/news/life/culture/vietnam-war-photo-of-napalm-struck-girl-most-powerful-image-in-50-years-3999163.html
    https://www.deccanherald.com/content/262538/frozen-time.html
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phan_Thi_Kim_Phuc

• mikeimikei Member

@jackb said:

@jsg said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_in_Donbas

Thanked by 1jsg
  • Everyone here hoped, Leningrad is not being blocked at this time.

• jenkkijenkki Member
    edited March 2022

Suggest place - Обстрел Донбасса войсками ВСУ - on YouTube search box and you can find many interesting.

Thanked by 1mikei
    edited March 2022

@jenkki said: Leningrad is not being blocked at this time.

So you intend to repeat the Nazi crimes at Leningrad against Ukrainian cities as a revenge, right?

@xaoc said: The donbas invasion is almost 8 years old, Ukraine invasion is just a few days old, can't compare the two

There are significant differences, indeed, the Donbas operation is classic Russian, declare "republics" on the territory of other states and bring "peacekeepers" even as this time he called them "volunteers" which in practice is the same thing.
    That worked in Moldova and Georgia, but that was long ago and it is very costly, every day Russia is losing money supporting the mob there as well as occupation troops which are in Moldova uninterruptedly since SU times, the Russians never left Moldova, not for a minute.
    One difference is that occupation of small "republics" is cheap in total (albeit high per capita, but small population doesn't make it a big deal overall), while the occupation of Ukraine will be WAY more costly, even as, per capita, it could be lower due to "economies of scale".
    Another difference is that, when Russia moved to occupy parts of Georgia, for example, Russia enjoyed a high standard of living while Georgia was a typical former Soviet republic with a corrupted and ruined economy as they didn't have the oil, gas and many other natural resources in their little country which allowed Russians in their huge and sparsely populated country to live pretty well. Russians have been blessed with a rich and huge empire, but are constantly ruining it through corruption and repeated expansion attempts.
    Things changed, the corruption in Russia increased while Georgia and Moldova lowered it as it is a requirement for joining EU and NATO, this means living standards are increasing in the countries around Russia while Russian corruption and now sanctions are tanking the economy, as such, the Empire pull is diminishing, maybe 20 years ago, or even as recently as 2014, a majority of Ukrainians would have looked up to Russians, but now things are changed, not only because of the invasion, but also because Ukrainians do not wish to be part of a folding empire with a ruined economy, not only because of the sanctions, but also because oil and gas are definitely going to be used less and less, especially in Europe, even if the sanctions will not expand to that sector.
    This war will ruin Russia and not only because of the sanctions, but because of the brain drain, because of capital flight, because of the hate people all around the world will have for Russians, even the ordinary Chinese will know what Russia does, the OFFICIAL channels show the heroic fight the Ukrainians are putting up and the war crimes the invaders are perpetrating. Of course, the nationalistic and revisionists, pro-empire people in China as well as the government will support Russia to a point (when they will use the nukes, that support will evaporate) because they have no choice, the only client state China can have of any importance is Russia. But, apart from China and puppet regimes in Syria, Belarus and various "republics", all governments around the world will hate the Russians and will have to listen to the popular feeling and stop doing business with Russia.

• @Maounique said: So you intend to repeat the Nazi crimes at Leningrad against Ukrainian cities as a revenge, right?

That your only own interpretation.

This discussion has been closed.