Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cogent Communications shutting down Russian customers - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cogent Communications shutting down Russian customers

Comments

• @DanSummer said:

@default said:
    I don't think Russia cares about Cogent too much; they can live without it. Besides, US is in $30 trillion debt, and they want to pressure Russia?! - I still find this funny.

Want to bet who goes bankrupt first? Russia or US?

No, I do not wish to make such bet. I am in no position to make such political assumptions on a thread which @Nyr asked not to be derailed.

Indeed, I agree with you: hosting providers will survive. People need internet.

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

@VirMach said:
    Well, looks like we won't directly be using Cogent, just sent them an email. (Not that we're Russian or trying to make a political statement, it's just difficult to be confident in using a company's service when they do something like this.)

Lol, this is just typical Cogent. I would demand payment from them for having to deal with their shit tbh. It's that bad.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@amj said: The goverment bonds (except T-Bill) of Japan are yen-based and 90% or more holded in Japan.

This. Japan has a special formula in which it finances pension funds and gives ppl safe investment options with the national debt :P
    Worst case scenario, they have a huge drop in Yen and that makes their exports extremely profitable...
    Nope, Japan won't default, kudos to it's citizens for saving so much, WWII taught them a valuable lesson. Searching for wealth and resources outside has a terrible price and leads to ruin, the real wealth is inside, in the people of the country.

Back to the topic, as I have said in other places, Cogent is no longer the Cogent it was 10 years ago, yes, is not premium, but works well enough for the price, in fact, having in the mix is a good idea, not to mention when you have many PoPs they can offer you a great bundle and you have short routes to many cheap providers which otherwise would go through Cogent then some other hop, L3 or whatever you have...

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2022

@DanSummer said: My prediction is that Russia would default within the next 3-6 months if this continues. Knowing Russia well, this could happen within weeks :smile:

"Default" is usually defined as the cessation of payment on one's debt. Considering US and EU have basically frozen more than half of Russia's money (see sanctions on the Central Bank reserves), can you really blame Russia for possibly taking a step like that? Or can you be all smiley-smiley about it like that?

Like, we will freeze your bank account, but you do continue to pay us up. What.

edited March 2022

@rm_ said: Like, we will freeze your bank account, but you do continue to pay us up. What.

Not really. Frozen assets CAN and usually ARE used to pay the debts to the entities in the jurisdiction that froze them.
    When an institution, like the Police, or even the tax authorities freezes your funds, the bank can still take payments from there, because the money is no longer yours, therefore the freeze no longer applies when some debt becomes due as long as the funds are not confiscated. Freezing and confiscating are two very different actions in the legal frame. Freezing means you can no longer dispose of them at will but you retain ownership, confiscating means the funds are not yours anymore and are not even in your account, they are wired to the account of the entity that confiscated them.
    So, the pound, dollar and euro accounts frozen will pay the debts to the respective entities. The people or entities owed money by Russia as a state or as various companies can ask money from those accounts, even use the justice system if refused.
    I am not privy on how these sanctions would work, but I am reasonably sure the payments will continue from those accounts and whatever is not covered (entities owed money which are not in the respective jurisdictions, probably very little money) can take from the Chinese banks or can even go and take some gold.
    I am not worried about an involuntary default, even a voluntary one would be hard to happen as long as those funds can be tapped into by ppl which are owed money from before the sanctions.
    It would be a very bad idea to lend new money or send goods or services on credit from now on, though. That is the actual point of the sanctions, not the past debt.

Thanked by 2TimboJones DanSummer
  • FritzFritz Veteran
    edited March 2022

@bark said:

@Nyr said:
    Seriously, why can't you guys leave politics for other places?

Nyr, respectfully, this goes so very far beyond 'politics' now. And our history and timeline of life, no matter how digitally oriented, is changed forever.

This isn't about Afghanistan, or Syria anymore. This is about the consequences of innocent dead children in modern successful cities and the violation of what has been historically perceived as 'freedom'.

Technical forum, yes. But the challenge of outrage and the technical reshaping of our universe must be reasoned with. Not simply pushed aside because technicians refuse to deal with it.

You, and your loved one's, history has and will be changed forever now, including every single tiny bit and metadata package in the universe. It is never to be the same.

The Internet, as it was, the one that we have always taken for granted, is over.

This is history repeating itself. Prepare for the consequences, you are now in the timeline, and this is the message~

Not politics.

Dude, please respect the rule. No politics and war discussion here.

Please bark somewhere else.

And.. to be honest invasion happened everywhere. Just in 2022 you can see clearly everything and get all the propaganda as well from both sides thanks to the internet.

Even California and San Francisco was a former Mexico teritories, that was because of war and invasion as well.

• @DanSummer said:

@default said:
    I don't think Russia cares about Cogent too much; they can live without it. Besides, US is in $30 trillion debt, and they want to pressure Russia?! - I still find this funny.

Want to bet who goes bankrupt first? Russia or US?

Japan has more than twice the debt-to-GDP Ratio of US and I don't see Japan going bankrupt anytime soon. Same with Italy.

Fun fact: The First Chechen War led directly to Russian financial default in 1998. Interestingly, there were no massive sanctions against Russia back then.

My prediction is that Russia would default within the next 3-6 months if this continues. Knowing Russia well, this could happen within weeks :)

I honestly think the Russian hosting providers would survive.

Federal debt and family debt are not the same. I always thought the misunderstanding of the debt was intentional by the politicians. When people ask "Increase funding in education or medication". They say "we have debts". What a perfect excuse.

• @DanSummer said: I honestly think the Russian hosting providers would survive.

Going to be harder for them to accept payment now that PayPal, Visa, and Mastercard have all suspended operations in Russia.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Hope all goes well with G-Core Labs.

They've got a large footprint in RU don't they?

• @Daniel15 said:

@DanSummer said: I honestly think the Russian hosting providers would survive.

Going to be harder for them to accept payment now that PayPal, Visa, and Mastercard have all suspended operations in Russia.

Well... There is always cryptocurrency.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

For one, not anymore using Cogent is a good thing. Funnily and more importantly: If not already quite soon the by far fastest (lowest latency) route from Europe to China (and Japan and Korea and ...) will go via ... Russia.

Although the decision was obviously made with ill intent, I thank Cogent anyway ;)

Btw, I saw an attractive offer yesterday for a VPN provider with a good reputation. When I clicked to buy though a fat ukrainian flag and some blathering along the lines of "help Ukraine!" popped up ... and I clicked away and put said VPN provider on my black list.
    No, not because of the direction of their bias, but because I'm disgusted by companies playing politics and discriminating. A decent company treats each and every paying customer well, no matter his country.

• @jsg said:
    For one, not anymore using Cogent is a good thing. Funnily and more importantly: If not already quite soon the by far fastest (lowest latency) route from Europe to China (and Japan and Korea and ...) will go via ... Russia.

Although the decision was obviously made with ill intent, I thank Cogent anyway ;)

Btw, I saw an attractive offer yesterday for a VPN provider with a good reputation. When I clicked to buy though a fat ukrainian flag and some blathering along the lines of "help Ukraine!" popped up ... and I clicked away and put said VPN provider on my black list.
    No, not because of the direction of their bias, but because I'm disgusted by companies playing politics and discriminating. A decent company treats each and every paying customer well, no matter his country.

How exactly does a flag mistreat you as a paying customer?

• bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited March 2022

@heiska said:

@jsg said:

It's the mindset that you find in bullies, bigots and rapists. Namely that the aggressor should be able to have their way and abuse people, but if someone dares to raise their voice against their actions, they suddenly go around claiming moral high ground and that they're being discriminated against.

It makes for some fun discussions when someone really confronts them though and refutes every point, a good example is this thread where @jsg's scam benchmark was called out and they made similar claims of being attacked, defamed and discriminated against, while engaging in their own defamation against other benchmarking tools and outright lying about his discussions with other forum members.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2022

@default said: Well... There is always cryptocurrency.

There's also JCB (no word of blocking yet) and UnionPay. Providers who want to help Russian customers pay for their VPS/VPN, better support either of those or both. For instance Vultr does (iirc as well as Cryptocurrency).

In fact I am not sure what is Visa/MC thinking, cutting off the way that Russians pay for their foreign VPNs, so they can no longer receive truthful non-propaganda information, or communicate without eavesdropping. Sounds like a way to help just exactly the wrong people.

@stevewatson301

Hahaha! The formulation alone says it all: "called out". Get it already, a gang of marauders "calling out" something usually - and certainly in that case - carries absolutely no weight. Just like these days when large swaths of clueless CNN and BBC victims watchers "call out" Russia as "evil force". Utterly meaningless, just noise.
    And - contrary to western belief - not creating or naming facts.

One of the festering boils of democracy is to believe that the majority defines facts. They do not - they just believe it because they want to believe it. The simple fact and reality is that nobody of us, not you, not me, nor all the other users here, can actually change anything in the ongoing war. And rest assured that Putin will never even know about your or my existence.

Even a relatively large company like Cogent can not achieve really significant influence. At best they can be a minor nuisance with their virtue signalling and comes time, comes punishment and the hero companies will bend over to maybe, please, pretty please, re-enter the market they spat on now.

Anyone here day-dreaming of having any real influence on the world events simply is, pardon me, stupid.
    Thanks for the demonstration.

Thanked by 1default
  • edited March 2022

@jsg said:

Cool story bro.

Nope. You can't play the victim card here, sorry.

Politics would be: "We support party X, and don't allow orders from people associated with party Y".

Discrimination would be: "We don't sell to people based on their skin color, cause we don't like them".

Not selling to you, cause your supreme leader Putler decided to invade a country and commit genocide against an entire country - that is just asking for it. It is not discrimination, it is not racism, its not politics. Its called having a moral stand.

And the little supreme dwarf touching himself while talking about nuclear weapons is also not helping calm things down.

And you're likely talking about Keep Solid/VPN unlimited, which is owned and operated by Ukranians. So there is no way in hell they would sell services to a country, which is killing their own people, their own brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers and children.

Hopefully all this ends soon, and peace is restored.

I know this won't change your mind obviously, as well as you know my mind won't be changed either. Just wanted to chime in :-)

This is why politics have no place on a hosting forum. Apologies to @Nyr for bringing it in this thread. I'll keep to myself from now on.

• Quick question @jsg, given your views, as an example, do you think IBM was right in serving its German customers during WW2?

edited March 2022

@NobodyInteresting said:
    Nope. You can't play the victim card here, sorry.

Uhm, I didn't. That's also why I didn't respond to the stupid comment at first. But as others (you) bring it up, too, I react.

Politics would be: "We support party X, and don't allow orders from people associated with party Y".

That's one (1) definition. And not mine.

Discrimination would be: "We don't sell to people based on their skin color, cause we don't like them".

That's one (1) definition. And not mine.

Not selling to you,

Plain wrong.

cause your supreme leader Putler

I'm sure you made him cry ...

decided to invade a country and commit genocide against an entire country

Well, that's one (1) way of perceiving it, albeit a very weird one. And not mine.

• that is just asking for it. It is not discrimination, it is not racism, its not politics. Its called having a moral stand.

No, it's called stupid and arrogant. I'm better than that. I also hate certain ukrainian regime figures and criminals, but I'd never consider to punish all Ukrainians or to ban all Ukrainians from e.g. buying something. A moral standard that ignores this basic point isn't a moral standard but a failed attempt to virtue signal.

And the little supreme dwarf touching himself while talking about nuclear weapons is also not helping calm things down.

And again an unbiased, rational remark ... (Pardon me, but your blinking obvious hate against Putin gets boring)

Hopefully all this ends soon, and peace is restored.

... unless, of course, it's "evil Putler" who restores peace... (and he will, rest assured)

@stevewatson301 said:
    Quick question @jsg, given your views, as an example, do you think IBM was right in serving its German customers during WW2?

I have no formed opinion on that because that was long ago and I'm not a history nerd. But given that Germany and the USA were at war back then AFAIK it probably was not OK (selling war relevant material to an enemy is not OK).
    Similarly I would not hold it against Ukraine if they refused to sell material that might give a military advantage to Russia (and vice versa).

edited March 2022

--- Btw, apologies to @Nyr but it seems ridiculous to ask for politics to stay outside of a thread that is based in its core on politics. Hell, even the title shouts "politics!" ---

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • @jsg said:

LOL, Keepsolid is registered in the US and has offices in Ukraine. Just check their company facebook and linkedin, you can see their photos. This is not playing politics, they are the victims. They have prefect position to fuck Russia ass.

The situation is obvious, regardless what points you have, Russia needs to pay the price for war. You can consider it a price to pay for “justice“ if you like.

This is not the end this is just the beginning (of the long night). Welcome to a desperate society where the economy is getting worse night by night. I know this feel badly.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@jsg said:
    ... unless, of course, it's "evil Putler" who restores peace... (and he will, rest assured)

The only way I see that happening is if he follows the final actions of a well known figure from WWII.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@jsg said:
    --- Btw, apologies to @Nyr but it seems ridiculous to ask for politics to stay outside of a thread that is based in its core on politics. Hell, even the title shouts "politics!" ---

One can discuss the implications of Cogent's movement without going into a useless debate of personal views.

I am reporting my own thread to be closed for participants being unable to follow the rules of this forum.

Thanked by 1uid0
  • bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited March 2022

@jsg said: I have no formed opinion on that because that was long ago and I'm not a history nerd. But given that Germany and the USA were at war back then AFAIK it probably was not OK (selling war relevant material to an enemy is not OK).

It's interesting that you only find assisting an enemy as objectionable, but you have no problem with the fact that IBM effectively assisted with the logistics of the Holocaust?

@stevewatson301 said:

@jsg said: I have no formed opinion on that because that was long ago and I'm not a history nerd. But given that Germany and the USA were at war back then AFAIK it probably was not OK (selling war relevant material to an enemy is not OK).

It's interesting that you only find assisting an enemy as objectionable, but you have no problem with the fact that IBM effectively assisted with the logistics of the Holocaust?

I looked at your question from the war perspective (you said, I quote, "during WW2").

Are you sure that you want to "enrich" this thread with a holocaust discussion? If so, you'll do that without me.

• kendidkendid Veteran
    edited March 2022

[deleted] thought it might be a little too political

@jsg said: Are you sure that you want to "enrich" this thread with a holocaust discussion?

The holocaust discussion is not outlandish when someone set out to eradicate a whole people.
    As for IBM, US entered the war pretty late AFTER the Poles were slaughtered, AFTER most of the crimes in Odessa (where Romanians had a huge impact as well), it took a direct attack by the Axis forces to make them understand this is not an isolated European affair where they have no dog in fight.
    For obvious reasons they can no longer sit this one out until they are directly attacked, because we would be in the same situation, the nuclear holocaust and they would go down together with everyone else with a guilty conscience they sold out hundreds of millions for oil and the end was only postponed for a few months or years.
    Putin must be stopped now, he is in between the Anschluss and the attack on Poland at this stage. We must not let him go to the next phase, attack a direct ally (like his predecessor did in Poland betting the French and British would be too reluctant to go to war again-he lost the bet).

• heiskaheiska Member
    edited March 2022

@stevewatson301 said:

@heiska said:

@jsg said:

It's the mindset that you find in bullies, bigots and rapists. Namely that the aggressor should be able to have their way and abuse people, but if someone dares to raise their voice against their actions, they suddenly go around claiming moral high ground and that they're being discriminated against.

It makes for some fun discussions when someone really confronts them though and refutes every point, a good example is this thread where @jsg's scam benchmark was called out and they made similar claims of being attacked, defamed and discriminated against, while engaging in their own defamation against other benchmarking tools and outright lying about his discussions with other forum members.

Do you think that he/she is a paid Russian troll or just plain old Useful idiot?

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • ****> @Maounique said:

@jsg said: Are you sure that you want to "enrich" this thread with a holocaust discussion?

The holocaust discussion is not outlandish when someone set out to eradicate a whole people.
    As for IBM, US entered the war pretty late AFTER the Poles were slaughtered, AFTER most of the crimes in Odessa (where Romanians had a huge impact as well), it took a direct attack by the Axis forces to make them understand this is not an isolated European affair where they have no dog in fight.
    For obvious reasons they can no longer sit this one out until they are directly attacked, because we would be in the same situation, the nuclear holocaust and they would go down together with everyone else with a guilty conscience they sold out hundreds of millions for oil and the end was only postponed for a few months or years.
    Putin must be stopped now, he is in between the Anschluss and the attack on Poland at this stage. We must not let him go to the next phase, attack a direct ally (like his predecessor did in Poland betting the French and British would be too reluctant to go to war again-he lost the bet).

@jsg and @default a> @heiska said:

@stevewatson301 said:

@heiska said:

@jsg said:

Do you think that he/she is a paid Russian troll or just plain old Useful idiot?

To be honest, I think he and @default are living embodiment of successful Russian propaganda.

It's always anti west, anti civilization and pro Russia with them. At the same time they're posting their minds from Europe, Canada or the US while ordinary Russian citizens suffer because of their complacency.

Thanked by 1Ricarta
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

@bark said:
    This isn't about Afghanistan, or Syria anymore. This is about the consequences of innocent dead children in modern successful cities and the violation of what has been historically perceived as 'freedom'.

I am quoting this because it sounds wrong on so many levels.

Shame on you, sir.

Thanked by 2Maounique bulbasaur
This discussion has been closed.