Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cogent Communications shutting down Russian customers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cogent Communications shutting down Russian customers

NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

One of the largest backbone providers, American Cogent, is disconnecting Russian operators from its networks. The company offers them a month to take back their server equipment. According to Kommersant, Cogent is working with Rostelecom, VimpelCom, MegaFon, Yandex and VK. Experts warn that the decision by the Western company may lead to a reduction in the connectivity of the Russian segment of the Internet with the global network and affect the quality of access of Russians to foreign Internet services in the near future.

International backbone communications operator Cogent notified the Russian partners that it will disconnect them from its equipment on March 4 at 20:00 Moscow time. It follows from the company's letter, which Kommersant has read, that the company will leave Russian providers' servers in racks for 30 days so that they can pick them up. "After this period ends, the equipment will be shut down and sent to storage. There will be no access to the servers after the termination of service," the statement said.

Source (Russian)

Comments

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Please, let's try to not derail the topic into politics too much.

I am posting this because it is a very relevant piece of information that one of the Tier 1 networks is disconnecting Russian customers.

LET is not an adequate forum for politics discussion and no one in the internet cares about your views.

• @Nyr said:

I am posting this because it is a very relevant piece of information that one of the Tier 1 networks is disconnecting Russian customers.

LET is not an adequate forum for politics discussion and no one in the internet cares about your views.

as a liberal republican this post offends me

• ehabehab Member
    edited March 2022

i am interested in @Vova1234 plans in general?

Further clarification from Cogent via ZDNet. It looks like they are "only" disconnecting their Russian customers, while still routing traffic for third parties:

"In response to the invasion of Ukraine, Cogent has terminated its contracts with customers billing out of Russia. [...]"

"Cogent is not otherwise restricting or blocking traffic originating from or destined for Russia. Cogent continues to provide services to Ukraine."

Thanked by 2JasonM vimalware
  • Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider

@ehab said: i am interested in @Vova1234 plans in general?

I am not Russian and not from Russia.

• ehabehab Member

@Vova1234 said:

@ehab said: i am interested in @Vova1234 plans in general?

I am not Russian and not from Russia.

sorry i was thinking you were. peace and regards to you :)

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

Well, looks like we won't directly be using Cogent, just sent them an email. (Not that we're Russian or trying to make a political statement, it's just difficult to be confident in using a company's service when they do something like this.)

• @VirMach said: Well, looks like we won't directly be using Cogent, just sent them an email. (Not that we're Russian or trying to make a political statement, it's just difficult to be confident in using a company's service when they do something like this.)

I must commend you for your position, see this for context why US carriers dropping Russian customers is a bad thing.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

@VirMach said:
    Well, looks like we won't directly be using Cogent, just sent them an email. (Not that we're Russian or trying to make a political statement, it's just difficult to be confident in using a company's service when they do something like this.)

With great power, comes great responsibility.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

It's a matter of time before OVH (a French company) and Oracle Cloud (an American company) both disconnect Russia.
    After that, there would be no more push-ups for Russians.
    The end is nigh.

Thanked by 1vyas11
  • VoidVoid Member
    edited March 2022

"After this period ends, the equipment will be shut down and sent to storage. There will be no access to the servers after the termination of service," the statement said.

All their servers are belong to US now.

Thanked by 2KermEd gazmull
  • LeviLevi Member
    edited March 2022

Who's next? Definitely not level3.

• Told you.jpg

• elliotcelliotc Member
    edited March 2022

@VirMach said:

In fact, it is very likely that this is not a political decision, but only to prevent political risks. Exchange rate and the interest rates also has a significant impact should also be taken into account.

Edit:
    Like I said before:
    In my opinion, the effect of sanctions has not yet played. Need 24-48hrs more maybe. I think people from any country, from any position, need to agree that the United States is the Evil King in Money.

Many companies are still asking their government for information and calculating the increased costs and risks. Don't think “too well“ of big conpanies.

Thanked by 1that_guy
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Congrats Russians on lower latency and better speeds from all of the remaining transit providers.

• @Nyr said:

Finally I got the feeling like home here.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I think this is only a political statement, Putin will disconnect himself anyway, this kind of a move will only play his hand, he can claim "we didn't disconnect, this is sanctions, nothing to see here".

• Lucky to get rid of Cogent.

• I don't think Russia cares about Cogent too much; they can live without it. Besides, US is in $30 trillion debt, and they want to pressure Russia?! - I still find this funny.

Internet should be about freedom, unification, and communication between people. All these sanctions prove otherwise, and all these actions further diminish the trust in Internet as a whole, in the eyes of end consumers. Most likely people will want more privacy, and other countries will implement their own internet when all this will be done. What Cogent did is a great step towards promoting decentralization, but not a good step towards globalization.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2022

@Maounique said:
    I think this is only a political statement, Putin will disconnect himself anyway, this kind of a move will only play his hand, he can claim "we didn't disconnect, this is sanctions, nothing to see here".

It might be, but I think it would make more sense that it's an economic risk decision.

Every Russian business has had a substantial increase of risk of default, just down to the reduction of value of the ruble and reduction of access to funds outwith Russia.

That being said, if it was just economics, a better solution might have been for cogent to switch Russian business customers to prepay in a currency that isn't the ruble.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2022

@jackb said: That being said, if it was just economics, a better solution might have been for cogent to switch Russian business customers to prepay in a currency that isn't the ruble.

Yes, there are many ways to avoid the economic risk, this is why I think it is political, if not 100% at least mainly political. Cogent has a bad image which does not match the improvement of service, therefore they are more sensitive to public opinion.

• barkbark Member

@default said:

Internet should be about freedom, unification, and communication between people.

Let's ask the people of Ukraine about your childish little version of 'freedom', shall we?

Seriously, why can't you guys leave politics for other places?

This is a technical forum. We have members from all over the world and all over the political spectrum, it does not make sense to make your views known. It is boring, useless and does not add anything of interest to the discussion.

Thanked by 4OhJohn DP vedran uid0
  • barkbark Member

@Nyr said:

Nyr, respectfully, this goes so very far beyond 'politics' now. And our history and timeline of life, no matter how digitally oriented, is changed forever.

This isn't about Afghanistan, or Syria anymore. This is about the consequences of innocent dead children in modern successful cities and the violation of what has been historically perceived as 'freedom'.

Technical forum, yes. But the challenge of outrage and the technical reshaping of our universe must be reasoned with. Not simply pushed aside because technicians refuse to deal with it.

You, and your loved one's, history has and will be changed forever now, including every single tiny bit and metadata package in the universe. It is never to be the same.

The Internet, as it was, the one that we have always taken for granted, is over.

This is history repeating itself. Prepare for the consequences, you are now in the timeline, and this is the message~

Not politics.

Thanked by 1VPSforVPN
  • @jackb said:

@Maounique said:

It might be, but I think it would make more sense that it's an economic risk decision.

Every Russian business has had a substantial increase of risk of default, just down to the reduction of value of the ruble and reduction of access to funds outwith Russia.

That being said, if it was just economics, a better solution might have been for cogent to switch Russian business customers to prepay in a currency that isn't the ruble.

For this level of crisis, I know many companies will set up a sub company in Russia later to split political and financial risks. Propaid could be a solution, but the payment process takes time to design.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited March 2022

@bark said: This isn't about Afghanistan, or Syria anymore. This is about the consequences of innocent dead children in modern successful cities

Not sure what this is supposed to mean. Innocent dead children in Afghanistan don't matter? Of course they do.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@bark said: This isn't about Afghanistan, or Syria anymore. This is about the consequences of innocent dead children in modern successful cities

Innocent lives matter, regardless of country, ethnicity or religion.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited March 2022

@bark said:

@Nyr said:

Nyr, respectfully, this goes so very far beyond 'politics' now. And our history and timeline of life, no matter how digitally oriented, is changed forever.

This isn't about Afghanistan, or Syria anymore. This is about the consequences of innocent dead children in modern successful cities and the violation of what has been historically perceived as 'freedom'.

Technical forum, yes. But the challenge of outrage and the technical reshaping of our universe must be reasoned with. Not simply pushed aside because technicians refuse to deal with it.

You, and your loved one's, history has and will be changed forever now, including every single tiny bit and metadata package in the universe. It is never to be the same.

The Internet, as it was, the one that we have always taken for granted, is over.

This is history repeating itself. Prepare for the consequences, you are now in the timeline, and this is the message~

Not politics.

Wait a minute. In some "beatific" way, are you trying to actually say that: The end is nigh?

• @default said:
    I don't think Russia cares about Cogent too much; they can live without it. Besides, US is in $30 trillion debt, and they want to pressure Russia?! - I still find this funny.

Want to bet who goes bankrupt first? Russia or US?

Japan has more than twice the debt-to-GDP Ratio of US and I don't see Japan going bankrupt anytime soon. Same with Italy.

Fun fact: The First Chechen War led directly to Russian financial default in 1998. Interestingly, there were no massive sanctions against Russia back then.

My prediction is that Russia would default within the next 3-6 months if this continues. Knowing Russia well, this could happen within weeks :)

I honestly think the Russian hosting providers would survive.

• amjamj Member

@DanSummer said:
    Japan has more than twice the debt-to-GDP Ratio of US and I don't see Japan going bankrupt anytime soon. Same with Italy.

The goverment bonds (except T-Bill) of Japan are yen-based and 90% or more holded in Japan.

Thanked by 2Maounique hostdare
This discussion has been closed.