Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

0,50€/TB Storage ? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

0,50€/TB Storage ?

Comments

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2022

@PulsedMedia said:
    Backblaze has limits on what can be stored and filesizes.

Plus they lost my data years ago, so they neither are infallible and data does get lost occasionally even for them. Haven't looked back since, these days i don't need such for my own personal needs. This was not a company account, just for my own needs.

-Aleksi

They don't keep essential data, like .dll files and Windows system files.
    According to this https://help.backblaze.com/hc/en-us/articles/217666728-How-does-Backblaze-handle-large-files- they don't limit filesize.

It's meant as a backup solution, so data loss isn't really that devastating with personal backup. The chances of both Google Drive and Backblaze losing your data in a single week is decently low, and it's probably going to be the cheapest solution for 50+TB of files.

Gsuite Enterprise - $20/mo
    Backblaze Personal - $7/mo
    Syncing Server - $5/month

Total: $32/month

I'm personally storing 100TB+ on my Google Drive account and they still haven't done anything. Currently using Backblaze Personal to backup anything important.

• @Advin said: I'm pushing 5TB+ a day

How? Isnt the limit 750GB/day??

edited February 2022

@jahrinc said:

@Advin said: I'm pushing 5TB+ a day

How? Isnt the limit 750GB/day??

The limit is per Google account. Gsuite accounts have the ability to create shared drives with unlimited storage. Just create a shared drive and add a bunch of free/service Google accounts to it. Then, cycle through each Google account.

I'm using PGBlitz to cycle through them automatically & to create a bunch of Google Drive service accounts, but it's outdated. You can most likely just setup a simple bash script to cycle through them.

I'll eventually make a thread detailing how I set it up and my experiences with Google.

Thanked by 1jahrinc
  • sgno1sgno1 Member
    edited February 2022

@Advin Wouldn't this affect all types of accounts, or is it only educational (exc. enterprise)?

https://support.google.com/a/answer/10403871?hl=en

And just a quick question, how much data do you have stored now on GDrive?

• @NoComment said: Please be realistic, as a consumer the cheapest disks you could ever buy was probably around $13/TB. After covid, it's probably really closer to $15-16/TB. Just to cover $15, you would need 2.5 years at $0.50/yr. If you were counting in euros you would have had to pay VAT so it's probably around 2.5 years to cover the cost of the disks. Then what about other costs such as the electricity, network, support and hardware? And this is assuming you do buy the cheapest possible disks during the best sales of the year and they would be consumer disks. Even for industrial disks the failure rates are probably 1+% over 3 years. You might also want at least RAID5 or RAID 6. Without any SSD cache it will probably be slow and people will complain.

tl;dr Buy your own disks, it would be easier, faster and cheaper than trying to exploit people from third world countries. You won't like the internet bills there, anyway.

TF you saying? I dont really understand, you are quoting me for an ironic joke I said and telling me to be realistic only to come to the same conclusion and agree with me and say 0.5e is not realistic?

Ofc I am kidding who tf will make people learn binary strings by heart

• afnafn Member
    edited February 2022

To people taking about backblaze and google, or even hubic or jottacloud I have said it once and I am saying it again.

None of these unlimited backup things is really unlimited, there is always a caveat, data has to be stored locally, limits on speed, GUI usage, possible data loss, possible price increase or possible FUP or whatever other shitty way to limit you.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

Over years in LET, I would rate this pricing and expectation as impossible, especially if you dont want RAID-0

• deankdeank Member, Troll

The end is nigh.

This won't end well. I mean, the data.

Thanked by 1chocolateshirt
  • @afn said:
    TF you saying? I dont really understand, you are quoting me for an ironic joke I said and telling me to be realistic only to come to the same conclusion and agree with me and say 0.5e is not realistic?

Ofc I am kidding who tf will make people learn binary strings by heart

My mistake. I got the impression that you were suggesting this pricing is possible if someone hosted it in their own house in a third world country.

Thanked by 1afn
  • afnafn Member
    edited February 2022

@NoComment said: My mistake. I got the impression that you were suggesting this pricing is possible if someone hosted it in their own house in a third world country.

Nope, no worries :wink:

@deank said: The end is nigh.

This won't end well. I mean, the data.

It won't even start...

• Found a solution, bought Google Enterprise gsuite over Turkey for arround 7 Euros.

Unlimited Storage perfect.

• @TeoM said:
    Found a solution, bought Google Enterprise gsuite over Turkey for arround 7 Euros.

Mind sharing how?

• @Astro said:

@TeoM said:
    Found a solution, bought Google Enterprise gsuite over Turkey for arround 7 Euros.

Mind sharing how?

Sounds like abuse of regional pricing. You probably just use a vpn when making a google account.

• @Astro said:

@TeoM said:

Mind sharing how?

Yes it's with Turkish VPN and than create an gsuite Turkish Account

• @TeoM said: Found a solution, bought Google Enterprise gsuite over Turkey for arround 7 Euros.

If you gonna abuse, do it right. Egypt and India are usually cheaper (last time I checked).

Also how does that get you 0.5/TB? What did you buy exactly? Google entreprise plans do not have unlimited storage.

edited February 2022

@sgno1 said:
    @Advin Wouldn't this affect all types of accounts, or is it only educational (exc. enterprise)?

https://support.google.com/a/answer/10403871?hl=en

And just a quick question, how much data do you have stored now on GDrive?

That only applies for educational accounts.

So I have 2 legacy Gsuite accounts (unlimited storage on each). I pay $12/month per Gsuite account, my first one is through Google directly and second one is through a reseller (DreamHost).

My first legacy account has approximately 6.31TB of storage used in the main drive & is my personal Google account. My second Gsuite account has 27.4TB of storage used in the main drive. However, most of my storage is contained in the shared drives, since I have a bunch of service accounts.

List of shared drives on my second Gsuite account:

In total, my second Gsuite account has ~150TB of storage used and my personal Gsuite account has ~7TB of storage used.

@afn said:

@TeoM said: Found a solution, bought Google Enterprise gsuite over Turkey for arround 7 Euros.

If you gonna abuse, do it right. Egypt and India are usually cheaper (last time I checked).

Also how does that get you 0.5/TB? What did you buy exactly? Google entreprise plans do not have unlimited storage.

Enterprise does have unlimited storage. They don't enforce any storage limits. Read above, I'm storing 150TB on them. It costs $20/month through Google directly now, you just need to purchase a standard Gsuite account and upgrade to the Enterprise Standard plans via their dashboard.

@afn said:
    To people taking about backblaze and google, or even hubic or jottacloud I have said it once and I am saying it again.

None of these unlimited backup things is really unlimited, there is always a caveat, data has to be stored locally, limits on speed, GUI usage, possible data loss, possible price increase or possible FUP or whatever other shitty way to limit you.

You can make Backblaze backup Google Drive, it's just a bit slow. Using Backblaze Personal + Google Drive would allow you to hit the $0.50/TB price point that OP is asking for.

edited February 2022

@afn said:

@TeoM said: Found a solution, bought Google Enterprise gsuite over Turkey for arround 7 Euros.

@NoComment said:

@Astro said:

@TeoM said:

Mind sharing how?

Sounds like abuse of regional pricing. You probably just use a vpn when making a google account.

@Astro said:

@TeoM said:

Mind sharing how?

I just checked and India & Egypt is more expensive (~$18). You don't actually need to do it with a VPN, just make a Gsuite account and change the country at checkout.

Thanked by 1AmplyImpure
  • @Advin How do you checkout with the enterprise plan? Their site tells me to contact sales

@dararish said:
    @Advin How do you checkout with the enterprise plan? Their site tells me to contact sales

You need to get a normal plan and then upgrade from there.

• @Advin said:

@dararish said:
    @Advin How do you checkout with the enterprise plan? Their site tells me to contact sales

You can't change the region at checkout. Google tell me if I register the domain you can't change region.

So I only see turkey and 3 Options Euro, Dollar and TL.

@TeoM said:

@Advin said:

@dararish said:

You can't change the region at checkout. Google tell me if I register the domain you can't change region.

So I only see turkey and 3 Options Euro, Dollar and TL.

You can't change it after you've purchased a plan, only before you've purchased a plan or if you've only used the trial :)

• The thing with VPN is, now we need to hope that lira still be on 15 and google don't check my account :D

• afnafn Member
    edited February 2022

@Advin

Thanks for the info you shared here! Interesting!

I am still a bit suspicious, I know google does not enforce a limit on entreprise plans, but as far as I was told, it does exists, it is just not enforced (it's like not every criminal has been caught and jailed, law is not always enforced). Though your run at the risk of data being deleted at any time afaik. Maybe my source of information was not correct, idk :no_mouth:

Example:

https://www.dreamhost.com/products/email/google-workspace/

Google Workspace Business Standard : they say "2 TB pooled storage per user
    ", but if you upload more than 2TB it still works?

On google official website:
    it says the following for entreprise:

*Google will provide an initial 5 TB of pooled storage for each user. Customers who want additional storage can request it as needed by contacting Google Support.

So it means you have to manually contact them if you want more storage ?

• @afn said:
    @Advin

Thanks for the info you shared here! Interesting!

I am still a bit suspicious, I know google does not enforce a limit on entreprise plans, but as far as I was told, it does exists, it is just not enforced (it's like not every criminal has been caught and jailed, law is not always enforced). Though your run at the risk of data being deleted at any time afaik. Maybe my source of information was not correct, idk :no_mouth:

Example:

https://www.dreamhost.com/products/email/google-workspace/

Google Workspace Business Standard : they say "2 TB pooled storage per user
    ", but if you upload more than 2TB it still works?

You pay fuck..ng 20 dollar's for an service from Google.

You won't just use 2 or 5 TB of storage.

They have to plan at least 20 TB per user.

And if it is unlimited then also times 100tb per user. I don't buy service for 20 dollar's to store 1tb data.

• They shouldn't get their panties in a bunch when you upload 20-50 TB of data.

• afnafn Member
    edited February 2022

@TeoM I don't really understand your point. My question is mainly addressed to advin, but what I am saying, there are limits, they are just not enforced. Do we agree on this?

Advin says he has 2TB + with dreamhost despite it mentions only 2TB, which is why I am asking.

• @afn said:
    @TeoM I don't really understand your point. My question is mainly addressed to advin, but what I am saying, there are limits, they are just not enforced. Do we agree on this?

Advin says he has 2TB + with dreamhost despite it mentions only 2TB, which why I am asking.

Oh sorry. Yes

• taizitaizi Member
    edited February 2022

thank you guys, you speed-up the End is nigh
    now I can't have this nice thing

Thanked by 1chocolateshirt
  • Welcome to LET Data Hoarder..