Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

0,50€/TB Storage ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

0,50€/TB Storage ?

Hello all,
looking for a provider that takes 50 cents /TB. Would like to store about 20TB of data.

Location would be really good in Europe and surrounding area.

Protocols don't matter to me for now, as long as anything is supported except GUI browser.

PS: Deep Atlantic Storage I already use have 2 PB uploaded there :wink:

Comments

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

Go ahead and buy your own hdds, and magnetic tape writers and readers, only way to achieve that 0.50/tb

Thanked by 2sgno1 risharde
  • lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

oh fuck, PulsedMedia is the only one who comes close but they're shared (not VPS) and like $1/TB/mo. You have to adjust your price expectations...

• @lentro said:
    oh fuck, PulsedMedia is the only one who comes close but they're shared (not VPS) and like $1/TB/mo. You have to adjust your price expectations...

I don't see any deals for that price range from pulsed media ?

• @TeoM said:

@lentro said:

The special plan for 24TB for 20 euro per month paid yearly.

• @Astro said:

@TeoM said:

@lentro said:

The special plan for 24TB for 20 euro per month paid yearly.

Do you have an link ?

• The problem with pulsed media they felt only raid0 one disk failure and all data gone

Thanked by 1lentro
  • @TeoM said:
    The problem with pulsed media they felt only raid0 one disk failure and all data gone

Can’t have everything I guess

Thanked by 2tjn risharde
  • 0.50 euros/TB is impossible. The best deal I've ever seen was probably one of hosthatch's 10 TB storage deals in the past. They were RAID 50/60 and you got 10 TB for around $10-11/mth.

0.50 euros was impossible even if you got one of the SYS deals and even if you struck the disk lottery. This is also impossible no matter which storage server you get on hetzner, even including the best priced auction servers before the price hike. It is also impossible on the very affordable RAID 0 deals you get from pulsedmedia. For 20 TB of storage, it is also impossible even if you tried to colocate your own server.

You might stand a chance if you tried to rent a raspberry pi and ask if the provider will allow you to send a 20 TB external drive over. But at 20 TB, you will need a power supply and I doubt anyone would do it for you.

But fret not, there's still an option left for you. The price performance ratio has been improving very fast in the past years until covid happened. Just wait another 10 years and you can achieve your dreams of 0.50/TB.

Thanked by 2Hakim mrTom
  • How much would the provider earn from selling 1TB for .... 0.50?

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

Willing to pay 10 years upfront? ;)

More years paid upfront brings the price down. Less BW, Less CPU etc. and again price down.

We have some 5400rpm 8TB drives + 45 drive jbods laying around, building a really big custom server with everything as low power as possible and enough years paid upfront -- it just might be doable. Just not for 2TB. More like 200TB. And not a contract, but actual prepayment

• https://mail360.yandex.ru/?from=yandex360

10tb = 73 eur/y - closest you can get

• @TeoM said:
    The problem with pulsed media they felt only raid0 one disk failure and all data gone

They are directly upfront about that though, and for what a lot of their clients use them for (seeding) it isn't really a problem - that data is easily replaceable if there is an issue.

I'm sure there are some cheap providers out there using R0, along with other unsafe practices, and not being honest about it.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@PulsedMedia said:
    We have some 5400rpm 8TB drives + 45 drive jbods laying around, building a really big custom server with everything as low power as possible

45-drive array on a Raspberry Pi, anyone?
    You need powered USB HUB, but it's technically possible.

what Linux does when you have more than 26 drives

AWS has a data transfer service called Snowmobile.
    They drive a truck to the customer location, customer uploads data, and then the data goes into S3 when the truck returns to AWS.
    When I close my eyes, I can picture a USB 2.0 cable coming out of that truck.

Thanked by 2ariq01 Daniel15
  • afnafn Member
    edited February 2022

I was sort of trying to "abuse" providers pricing when I opened th 1€/TB thread, That was already the limit. But 0.5... that's just not possible, maybe in one of these "unlimited" BS plans (like 1fichier and other cloud service) where you never know the true limits, there is always a caveat ( maybe : forced gui, no ftp for download, slow speeds, limit on cold storage, price adjustment later, or other unsaid limitations, etc) and you end up not able to download your data.

But Like pulsed media said, only way you bring down cost to such price is when you have PBs of data, or when you are google, you own your datacenter and your own network (not just own a server in colocation).There is no room for your provider to make any money out of this price.

1€/1 is rare, but happens, like huge storage servers with Hetzner, PulsedMedia offers (astro,BF, 24TB special, etc), hosthatch did 0.9 few years ago, but 0.5€, no.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited February 2022

0.1 is possible.

Just need to prepay for 100 years.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • 1fichier + high bw vps + rclone

• afnafn Member
    edited February 2022

@deank said:
    0.1 is possible.

Just need to prepay for 100 years.

There are countries where human-labor is do dirt cheap.

Find a country where 1Eur can buy a (moderate) car and Pay some people from there to learn by heart your data. 0.5/Tb might be doable in that case.

You are ofc prone to (human) errors. Use an error correction code, maybe redundancy?

• Not optimal but I use OneDrive which I get at 4$ per year under MS friends n Family

• @mhn said:
    https://mail360.yandex.ru/?from=yandex360

10tb = 73 eur/y - closest you can get

That's very good, do you have some promotion code for that ? How it is with Adult content it's yandex allow that ?

• @afn said: Find a country where 1Eur can buy a (moderate) car and Pay some people from there to learn by heart your data. 0.5/Tb might be doable in that case.

Please be realistic, as a consumer the cheapest disks you could ever buy was probably around $13/TB. After covid, it's probably really closer to $15-16/TB. Just to cover $15, you would need 2.5 years at $0.50/yr. If you were counting in euros you would have had to pay VAT so it's probably around 2.5 years to cover the cost of the disks. Then what about other costs such as the electricity, network, support and hardware? And this is assuming you do buy the cheapest possible disks during the best sales of the year and they would be consumer disks. Even for industrial disks the failure rates are probably 1+% over 3 years. You might also want at least RAID5 or RAID 6. Without any SSD cache it will probably be slow and people will complain.

tl;dr Buy your own disks, it would be easier, faster and cheaper than trying to exploit people from third world countries. You won't like the internet bills there, anyway.

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2022

GOOGLE DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have 150TB on Google Drive for $12/month (or $20/month now). Under $0.50/TB. I'm pushing 5TB+ a day :) Can't believe no one has said this yet. You can also create multiple service accounts to bypass the 750GB/day limit.

• @Advin said:

I have 150TB on Google Drive for $12/month (or $20/month now). Under $0.50/TB. I'm pushing 5TB+ a day :)

Can't believe no one has said this yet. You can also create multiple service accounts to bypass the 750GB/day limit.

Link ? Google don't sell anymore unlimited storage

• @Advin said:

I have 150TB on Google Drive for $12/month (or $20/month now). Under $0.50/TB. I'm pushing 5TB+ a day :)

Can't believe no one has said this yet. You can also create multiple service accounts to bypass the 750GB/day limit.

Don't you need a minimum of 5 accounts to get unlimited storage? Sure, you could "share" the plan with others to abuse the unlimited storage, but that's not very nice :)

edited February 2022

@NoComment said:

@Advin said:

Don't you need a minimum of 5 accounts to get unlimited storage? Sure, you could "share" the plan with others to abuse the unlimited storage, but that's not very nice :)

Nope, they don't care. No limits on my single user Google account :)
    That too, on their new enterprise accounts, they don't even say that you need more than 1 user.

@TeoM said:

@Advin said:

Link ? Google don't sell anymore unlimited storage

Purchase a Gsuite account and then upgrade it to their Enterprise plan. It's $20/month for unlimited storage.

https://workspace.google.com/pricing.html

Proof:

• @Advin said: Purchase a Gsuite account and then upgrade it to their Enterprise plan. It's $20/month for unlimited storage.

If you look at the small print:

As much storage as you need*
    *Google will provide an initial 5 TB of pooled storage for each user. Customers who want additional storage can request it as needed by contacting Google Support.

I forgot where I read about it, but it was supposed to be unlimited storage after you have a minimum of 5 accounts. Either google changed their policies and didn't edit the text, or they simply aren't enforcing the limits. Great deal, until they one day decide to delete all your data for "abuse".

edited February 2022

@NoComment said:

@Advin said: Purchase a Gsuite account and then upgrade it to their Enterprise plan. It's $20/month for unlimited storage.

*Google will provide an initial 5 TB of pooled storage for each user. Customers who want additional storage can request it as needed by contacting Google Support.

I forgot where I read about it, but it was supposed to be unlimited storage after you have a minimum of 5 accounts. Either google changed their policies and didn't edit the text, or they simply aren't enforcing the limits. Great deal, until they one day decide to delete all your data for "abuse".

Google never really enforced the 5 account minimum and there are records of users uploading 1PB+ to Google Drive before being suspended/banned. These unlimited storage plans have been there for over 4 years now. For 20TB, I'm sure it is fine, but regardless it's always important to take backups :)

Which is why I also abused Backblaze Personal Backup

Anyways, Google Drive would probably be FAR more reliable than any host claiming to offer $0.50/TB storage.

P.S. If you want to feel a little less bad, Dropbox also has their "unlimited" storage plans for $25/month/user (3 user minimum). They have soft limits, but support will raise it for free (usually 5-10TB at a time). After you cancel, they even keep your storage which you can then download (but not upload more).

Thanked by 1NoComment
  • NoCommentNoComment Member
    edited February 2022

@Advin said:

@NoComment said:

@Advin said: Purchase a Gsuite account and then upgrade it to their Enterprise plan. It's $20/month for unlimited storage.

Google never really enforced the 5 account minimum and there are records of users uploading 1PB+ to Google Drive before being suspended/banned. These unlimited storage plans have been there for over 4 years now. For 20TB, I'm sure it is fine, but regardless it's always important to take backups :)

Anyways, Google Drive would probably be FAR more reliable than any host claiming to offer $0.50/TB storage.

P.S. If you want to feel a little less bad, Dropbox also has their "unlimited" storage plans for $25/month/user (3 user minimum). They have soft limits, but support will raise it for free (usually 5-10TB at a time). After you cancel, they even keep your storage which you can then download (but not upload more).

Wow, the more you know... Is backblaze personal backup truly "unlimited" for $7/month? I like a good deal myself, as long as I'm not exploiting loopholes. Using a combination of google drive + backblaze might be pretty cool for $27/mth, assuming less than 100 TB is fair game to them.

The worst case scenario would be all 3 of them deciding to end their unlimited plans within the same week and you lose all data but what are the odds? :)

edited February 2022

@NoComment said:

@Advin said:

@NoComment said:

Wow, the more you know... Is backblaze personal backup truly "unlimited" for $7/month? I like a good deal myself, as long as I'm not exploiting loopholes. Using a combination of google drive + backblaze might be pretty cool for $27/mth, assuming less than 100 TB is fair game to them.

The worst case scenario would be all 3 of them deciding to end their unlimited plans within the same week and you lose all data but what are the odds? :)

I would assume so, but I haven't seen anyone cross the 100TB mark on Backblaze Personal Backup yet. Although, backing up was considerably slow in my experience. I was only able to upload 1TB after a couple of days, but it seems pretty doable.

I was only able to make Backblaze work with Gdrive a couple days ago, after finding a script that was a couple of years old on the Rclone forum. Backblaze doesn't backup network drives or Rclone mounts by default, but I found this old thread with a script that let me do it:
    https://forum.rclone.org/t/backblaze-5-m-and-rclone-mount/2745

Eventually I'll make an LET thread covering my experiences with different unlimited storage plans and backup solutions.

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2022

Backblaze has limits on what can be stored and filesizes.

Plus they lost my data years ago, so they neither are infallible and data does get lost occasionally even for them. Haven't looked back since, these days i don't need such for my own personal needs. This was not a company account, just for my own needs.

-Aleksi