Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Epik Holdings acquires Terrahost AS - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Epik Holdings acquires Terrahost AS

Comments

• RobMonsterRobMonster Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2022

Rob Monster here - I am founder and CEO of Epik Holdings, the parent of Terrahost. Those of you who are reporting solid network performance like @jahrinc know that it comes from sweating the details. It is not typical for a 15 year old company to grow 317% in revenue and maintain 99.9998% uptime while investing in major upgrades. The guys who made that happen are getting the resources they need to scale what already worked. Thank you all for your ongoing support and feedback of this important work as this little-known Norwegian gem spreads its wings!

• @RobMonster said:
    Rob Monster here - I am founder and CEO of Epik Holdings, the parent of Terrahost. Those of you who are reporting solid network performance like @jahrinc know that it comes from sweating the details. It is not typical for a 15 year old company to grow 317% in revenue and maintain 99.9998% uptime while investing in major upgrades. The guys who made that happen are getting the resources they need to scale what already worked. Thank you all for your ongoing support and feedback of this important work as this little-known Norwegian gem spreads its wings!

Hi

Thanked by 2RobMonster codelock
  • Congratulations! @terrahost
    Let's see high-quality network and services!

Thanked by 1RobMonster
  • @RobMonster said:

Welcome @RobMonster! Congratulations to you and @terrahost!

Now that Rumble.com is successfully taking on YouTube, how about build a quality free speech Facebook competitor?

Thanked by 1RobMonster
  • RobMonsterRobMonster Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2022

@Offshore_Solutions said:

Welcome @RobMonster! Congratulations to you and @terrahost!

Now that Rumble.com is successfully taking on YouTube, how about build a quality free speech Facebook competitor?

I think we'll see a whole bunch of those coming online. I personally know of them, and in some cases we are providing critical infrastructure. I would say that the climate is favorable for decentralized niche community developments. Resilient infrastructure will be price of entry, as GiveSendGo learned the hard way a few days ago when they got their time to shine. They are recovering. Object lesson: Dig your well before you are thirsty!

Thanked by 1Offshore_Solutions
  • lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

@RobMonster said: I personally know of them, and in some cases we are providing critical infrastructure

Out of curiosity, have any of your upstreams (e.g. ISPs, vendors) expressed concerns or threatened to stop providing services due to the "offensive" content, and how do you ensure that free speech can continue to be hosted in the face of this? If I remember correctly, didn't Voxility force Epik to stop serving 8chan or something?

https://www.geekwire.com/2019/epik-reverses-course-seattle-area-web-services-company-will-not-host-8chan-following-shooting/

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited February 2022

also @terrahost please confirm that @RobMonster is actually THEY guy, not we getting trolled or @RobMonster please verify it somehow - tweet, facebook, epik webiste, anything with that lovely checkmark that no one will complain >:D

• terrahostterrahost Member, Patron Provider

@JabJab said:
    also @terrahost please confirm that @RobMonster is actually THEY guy, not we getting trolled or @RobMonster please verify it somehow - tweet, facebook, epik webiste, anything with that lovely checkmark that no one will complain >:D

I can verify that the account is real.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited February 2022

@JabJab said:

This guy @RobMonster doesn't sound like a troll, but -- yeah -- it wouldn't hurt to confirm that he's legitimate

• does this mean no more midnight offerings?

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited February 2022

@JabJab said:
    also terrahost please confirm that RobMonster is actually THEY guy, not we getting trolled or RobMonster please verify it somehow - tweet, facebook, epik webiste, anything with that lovely checkmark that no one will complain >:D

I can verify as well. Host Rep tag given. Welcome Rob to LET! :)

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited February 2022

@RobMonster said:

First: welcome on LET.

AFAIK nobody doubts @terrahost being a fine provider with nice and attractive products. But still congrats re. 99.9998% uptime.

I'm still missing a clear statement on one critical issue though: Does Epik have or access to terrahost's customer data (as in "address, financial, etc") or not?
    It's maybe a sensitive point for you, and if so I can understand it, but Epik had some very unfortunate "mishaps" wrt. customer data, so I assume that you understand (certainly not only) my worries in that regard.

Besides that I agree that terrahost is an amazing provider and, albeit limited to technical aspects and support, I like it a lot and wish them, and you btw, well.

Thanked by 3RobMonster default pbx
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Thanks @RobMonster for taking the time to be here and chiming in :)

Nevertheless, I hope nothing but positive and good outcomes for both @terrahost and Epik!

• As long as the deals keep coming, LET doesn't mind who owns what ;)

• smells like giant attutude
    • just promo ... and maybe blackfriday .. end year
    • nice grab 1

i coming here because email from slack

• JasonMJasonM Member
    edited February 2022

@jsg

It seems like Velia and Godaddy. Velia operates independently out of Europe and Godaddy U.S. has full stake in it. When a company has full share holding they might get subsidiary company's customer data like Name, Product purchased, amount spent, and geographical locations, etc for accounting and generating ARPu (Average Revenue Per User) details to keep their shareholders happy.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • @jsg said: I'm still missing a clear statement on one critical issue though: Does Epik have or access to terrahost's customer data (as in "address, financial, etc") or not?

Given the acquisition of Terrahost by Epik, the best guess is yes, assuming that Epik wanted to look at these data for some reason.

Nevertheless, it's probably the case that Terrahost's customer data are (still?) stored separately (if only because the acquisition was recent), but it's possible that since Terrahost will continue operating as a separate brand, they will keep their customer data separate.

In any case, I'd be surprised if they made a statement about this.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • @angstrom said: Nevertheless, it's probably the case that Terrahost's customer data are (still?) stored separately (if only because the acquisition was recent), but it's possible that since Terrahost will continue operating as a separate brand, they will keep their customer data separate.

Keep in mind that Terrahost is an EU company, people didn't sign a contract with Epik Inc; terrahost.com also indicates that the contract is done with Terrahost AS. It isn't sure that all data can legally go to the US that easily.

That being said, probably that @RobMonster did learn a couple of things since the breach and customers' data is now kept safely. Which seems to be one of the most important things to do when you wanna attract "free speech" or "privacy" centered folks.

Thanked by 3angstrom 0xbkt jsg
  • waiting for easter, bf whatever offers from terrahost and then give them a try.

@angstrom said:
    In any case, I'd be surprised if they made a statement about this.

Well, if they don't we have to presume that all our personal and private data are available to Epik

That being said, probably that @RobMonster did learn a couple of things since the breach and customers' data is now kept safely. Which seems to be one of the most important things to do when you wanna attract "free speech" or "privacy" centered folks.

I agree, possibly @RobMonster did indeed learn from his/their "mishaps". Still I'd strongly prefer customers data to strictly stay within Europe.

@JasonM said:
    ... When a company has full share holding they might get subsidiary company's customer data like Name, Product purchased, amount spent, and geographical locations, etc for accounting and generating ARPu (Average Revenue Per User) details to keep their shareholders happy.

No, not full customers data. But that's not a problem because anonymized data are good enough for those purposes.

Anyway, I would like to trust Epik / RobMonster, but unfortunately they/he makes that next to impossible by consistently refusing to provide a clear cut statement on that important question. Disappointing.

Thanked by 1default
  • DupondtDupondt Member
    edited February 2022

While I wish communication had been handled better from the get go, this press release is nice and clear. The follow-ups by @terrahost and @RobMonster are also very nice. Now it's clear what the ownership structure is like and those not wishing to work with or benefit Epik can simply walk away, while others can join or stay.

Well done and congrats to Terrahost.

• QuartermasterQuartermaster Member
    edited February 2022

Don't trust @RobMonster or Epik with your data in any fashion, including through any subsiduary they own/operate

I sent Epik multiple formal GDPR deletion requests to jessica@epik, support@epik and rob@epik back in 2019, for an account I signed up for, but never used.

These were not honoured, and my PII was in a data dump from the Epik breach in 2021.

Total bunch of asshats!

• @Quartermaster said: I sent Epik multiple formal GDPR deletion requests to jessica@epik, support@epik and rob@epik back in 2019, for an account I signed up for, but never used.

You sent GDPR requests (EU law) to USA company?

• @JabJab said:

@Quartermaster said: I sent Epik multiple formal GDPR deletion requests to jessica@epik, support@epik and rob@epik back in 2019, for an account I signed up for, but never used.

You sent GDPR requests (EU law) to USA company?

Well, if you think on a bigger scale, they're both on the same planet. This means they respect the laws of one another. Besides, privacy is a right, not a privilege.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited February 2022

@JabJab said: You sent GDPR requests (EU law) to USA company?

Well, if they do business with EEA residents, on paper they are affected.

Of course it is difficult/impossible to enforce for small-ish companies, but they now have business interests in the EU and the EEA, so it is not the worst idea to start complying.

Also, they market their services to privacy-conscious individuals, so GDPR or not, why hold personal data which they do not need?

I do not have a horse in this race, but anyone could be justifiably annoyed if a personal data deletion request was ignored only to have said data leaked some years later.

Thanked by 3webcraft pbx lentro
    edited February 2022

@Nyr said:

@JabJab said: You sent GDPR requests (EU law) to USA company?

Well, if they do business with EEA residents, on paper they are affected.

Of course it is difficult/impossible to enforce for small-ish companies, but they now have business interests in the EU and the EEA, so it is not the worst idea to start complying.

Also, they market their services to privacy-conscious individuals, so GDPR or not, why hold personal data which they do not need?

I do not have a horse in this race, but anyone could be justifiably annoyed if a personal data deletion request was ignored only to have said data leaked some years later.

If @terrahost customer data were hacked/leaked they might be forgiven if they can plausibly show that they really took it seriously and did their best to protect them (which I assume is the case). If however those data leaked via Epik / @RobMonster I guess they have to deal with a veritable war and people highly likely would fire at terrahost too because there the GDPR cannons could be easily used.

As for "GDPR against a us-american company?" - well, yes, of course. Just like they seriously expect the "rest of world" to not simply ignore their DMCS and similar. Either way, terrahost is a european company, hence european laws apply and courts are unlikely to care about their owners jurisdiction.

Even the more sad that RobMonster didn't care to assure us that terrahost customer data stay with terrahost only.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • afnafn Member
    edited February 2022

I don't see much negative comments /hate like the old thread discussing this acquisition. has this thread been cleaned up by mods? or drama did not start yet?

And oh, the irresponsible noob who does not know how to handle customers' data, nor apologize responsibly has registered here on LET! Great!

Epik Holdings, the parent of Terrahost

Parent: gives birth. Epik did not give birth to Terrahost. Terrahost succeeded for years on their own. phrasing it like this makes it look as if epik is responsible for their success through the 15 years. which is misleading and not true.

@jsg said: Even the more sad that RobMonster didn't care to assure us that terrahost customer data stay with terrahost only.

Because it probably won't. Anyone who cares about safety of their personal info should not go near Terrahost anymore. Pay crypto, use fake info, etc if you really insist on using them. Or simply use another provider.

People congratulating Terrahost, what are you congratulating them for?!

Thanked by 3jsg pbx bulbasaur
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@afn said: Parent: gives birth.

A father is also considered a parent but fathers don't give birth.

@afn said: Epik did not give birth to Terrahost. Terrahost succeeded for years on their own. phrasing it like this makes it look as if epik is responsible for their success through the 15 years. which is misleading and not true.

Clearly he means "the parent" being the Parent Company and not "a person's father or mother" :smiley:

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@afn said: I don't see much negative comments /hate like the old thread discussing this acquisition. has this thread been cleaned up by mods?

LET threads are only "cleaned up" very rarely. People are happy to finally have the situation clarified, even if for some participants, explanations are never enough.

@afn said: Parent: gives birth. Epik did not give birth to Terrahost. Terrahost succeeded for years on their own. phrasing it like this makes it look as if epik is responsible for their success through the 15 years. which is misleading and not true.

parent company
    noun [ C ]
    /ˌpeə.rənt ˈkʌm.pə.ni/ US /ˌper.ənt ˈkʌm.pə.ni/
    a company that controls other smaller companies

@afn said: Because it probably won't.

It is reasonable to expect that when a company acquires other company, customer data could be transferred in accordance with existing regulations.

@afn said: People congratulating Terrahost, what are you congratulating them for?!

A successful transaction after many years of hard work.