Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Epik Holdings acquires Terrahost AS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Epik Holdings acquires Terrahost AS

terrahostterrahost Member, Patron Provider

Positioned for Global Growth through World-Class, Resilient, Scalable Data Solutions.

Capital Raise Planned for Q2, 2022.

February 7, 2022 — Epik Holdings Inc. announced the completion of its acquisition of Norwegian-based, Terrahost AS as part of the company’s strategic objective to provide resilient, affordable, data hosting and storage solutions to the world.

Terrahost is building upon its 15-year legacy of world-class data solutions through targeted investments and optimization of its infrastructure and portfolio of storage, software and networking products—resulting in significant market penetration and over 300% revenue growth.

“We are excited to be able to bring Terrahost to the world,” says Epik CEO, Rob Monster, “For the last 15 years, Terrahost has been building a robust network of mostly below-ground, fortified data centers connected with the proprietary Enigma automation suite. The combination is what has delivered customers a winning combination of extreme resiliency with an economic model that scales from VPS to Enterprise.”

The journey for Terrahost to become part of Epik began in April 2021. “Our success in 2021 has been a result of team commitment to providing secure, efficient, affordable data products and services to its customers,” says Sten Huseby, CEO of Terrahost AS.“

See full press release here.

Comments

• Mkey. A bit late to the party, everyone is already gone, but thank you.

• Congratulations, @terrahost :)

Thanked by 1terrahost
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

TerraHost to the moon! 📈🚀🌕

Thanked by 2Ganonk terrahost
  • Congrats, @terrahost! One of favorite providers!

Thanked by 1terrahost
  • People keep bitching but let’s give them a chance guys :) terrahost still is awesome for me. Congrats on the expansion!

Thanked by 1terrahost
  • Top product and service!

Thanked by 1terrahost
  • caracalcaracal Member
    edited February 2022

Insert positive press here

Thanked by 1terrahost
  • Very shocking news fresh out of the press

Thanked by 2bulbasaur imok
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited February 2022

Sadly hardly informative but just the usual corporate blurb.
    Sadly also not the info promised (how much of terrahost does Epik own? Is terrahost still in full control of its everyday operations?).

That said, I still like @terrahost. A lot.

I would, however, very much like to at least know whether Epik has any access to terrahost user data.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • @jsg said: Sadly hardly informative but just the usual corporate blurb.

It's a complete takeover from what it seems, except that they're keeping the current CEO. Otherwise we'd see "Epik has acquired a partial stake in Terrahost" or something along those lines.

Thanked by 1jsg

@stevewatson301 said:

@jsg said: Sadly hardly informative but just the usual corporate blurb.

It's a complete takeover from what it seems, except that they're keeping the current CEO. Otherwise we'd see "Epik has acquired a partial stake in Terrahost" or something along those lines.

I hope you are wrong ...

• deltatuxdeltatux Member
    edited February 2022

@jsg said:
    Sadly also not the info promised (how much of terrahost does Epik own? Is terrahost still in full control of its everyday operations?).

Based on the wording of the press release above, it's a full acquisition. It would have been worded differently like "invested $X for x% stake" or "has led a funding round raising for $x" if it wasn't a full on acquisition.

• Congratulations @terrahost love your network

Thanked by 2terrahost RobMonster
  • JabJabJabJab Member
    edited February 2022

EPIK!

So, where are the promos?!

--
    Interesting points from the Word document:

Terrahost currently operates data center services from locations in Sandefjord, Amsterdam, Kansas City, and Lagos.

Some of the 2021 operating highlights include:
    312% revenue growth since acquisition

• We already know, for long...
    Anyway, better than nothing

• Congratulations

Thanked by 1terrahost
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited February 2022

Congratulations @terrahost - I hope this will go well for all your customers.

Thanked by 1terrahost
  • Congratulations and best wishes!
    Your Norwegian hosting company is now in the hands of the DMCA.

• terrahostterrahost Member, Patron Provider

@jsg said:

I would, however, very much like to at least know whether Epik has any access to terrahost user data.

Epik has acquired Terrahost as a whole. Terrahost continues to be run from Norway using the Enigma software developed by Terrahost, and operated by Terrahost personnel in Norway. Terrahost continues to be governed by the highest standard of customer data privacy with such data being made available on a need-to-know basis, e.g. in the case of fraud, chargeback or legal inquiry by law enforcement.

• @terrahost said:

@jsg said:

Epik has acquired Terrahost as a whole. Terrahost continues to be run from Norway using the Enigma software developed by Terrahost, and operated by Terrahost personnel in Norway. Terrahost continues to be governed by the highest standard of customer data privacy with such data being made available on a need-to-know basis, e.g. in the case of fraud, chargeback or legal inquiry by law enforcement.

If a DMCA subpoena is issued for Epik, will it work for Terrahost?

edited February 2022

@terrahost said:

@jsg said:

Thanks a lot for that clear answer, I appreciate that!

But, sorry for unnerving you, but it's a very important question: Does Epik have any access to the data of terrahost's customers?
    I'm asking because I do not per se see a problem in terrahost being owned by Epik, but I'd see a major problem in Epik having or having access to terrahosts customer data, or in other words, I'm not opposed to Epik per se but very worried - and with good reason - about our (customers) data being carelessly handled by Epik; so if only terrahost (modulo legal LEA inquiries, etc) had access to customer data that would be very welcome.

Can you please offer us a clear statement on that point?

• congratulations @terrahost

Thanked by 1terrahost
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@jsg said: Does Epik have any access to the data of terrahost's customers?

I believe Terrahost is, and will always be, responsible for their own customers data despite being the acquiree, and now having a parent company.

I'm not sure how this works (legally) but Epik might not have direct access to Terrahost's customer data , but since it's a complete acquisition, it is for a fact "Terrahost an Epik Company", so if they wanted it, they can have it one way or another, I suppose.

Whatever it is, I hope this acquisition does not affect the quality of services delivered/provided by Terrahost as of today.

• @jsg said:

@terrahost said:

@jsg said:

Thanks a lot for that clear answer, I appreciate that!

But, sorry for unnerving you, but it's a very important question: Does Epik have any access to the data of terrahost's customers?
    I'm asking because I do not per se see a problem in terrahost being owned by Epik, but I'd see a major problem in Epik having or having access to terrahosts customer data, or in other words, I'm not opposed to Epik per se but very worried - and with good reason - about our (customers) data being carelessly handled by Epik; so if only terrahost (modulo legal LEA inquiries, etc) had access to customer data that would be very welcome.

Can you please offer us a clear statement on that point?

You might want to consider doing full disk encryption with a key that you hold if you're concerned that a host has potential access to your data, regardless of who that host is.

• @deltatux said:
    You might want to consider doing full disk encryption with a key that you hold if you're concerned that a host has potential access to your data, regardless of who that host is.

In case of virtual machines that's not really that effective since the host can just extract the private key from the ram from the host system.

And if you are really paranoid not even dedicated machines are safe, since the hoster could just replace the bootloader with their own that logs the password.
    Secure Boot might be able to remedy that, but has it's own pitfalls.

Thanked by 1_MS_
  • pbxpbx Member
    edited February 2022

@DP said: I'm not sure how this works (legally) but Epik might not have direct access to Terrahost's customer data , but since it's a complete acquisition, it is for a fact "Terrahost an Epik Company", so if they wanted it, they can have it one way or another, I suppose.

If the contract is signed with Terrahost AS (as it's still the case) the company is bound to respect the GDPR. IF they transfer personal customer data to Epik (no reason to, not even for Epik as it can be a good marketing strategy for them to make profit from terrahost, while enjoying the positive image of a NO based company) they'll have to do so within the boundaries of the GDPR, they can't just give all data they have away to Epik Inc (a US company).

Of course they could find tricks around that, but what would be the reason?

Rob Monster made it clear that he bought Terrahost to grow his business and to be able to provide hosting. It seems to me that they welcome all customers (as Terrahost did) and I see no reason why they would want the burden of having as much customer data as possible stored unsafely even more so after the massive data leak and PR damage they had lately.

Of course, being sure that personal customer data of Terrahost's customers will stay within Terrahost hands would be better than guessing.

Thanked by 2DP RobMonster
  • @airmass1 said:

@deltatux said:

In case of virtual machines that's not really that effective since the host can just extract the private key from the ram from the host system.

And if you are really paranoid not even dedicated machines are safe, since the hoster could just replace the bootloader with their own that logs the password.
    Secure Boot might be able to remedy that, but has it's own pitfalls.

Maybe I should have been clearer and say that FDE raises the effort considerably for unauthorized persons from accessing your data, even for VMs. I honestly don't think Terrahost or Epik would spend that kind of effort.

@deltatux said:

Misunderstanding, my point isn't about the data on the VPS but the customer data like address, financial, etc.

Thanked by 2pbx default
  • Congrats! My service since September has been rock solid. Network has been superb.

Shout out to Andreas for the amazing support.

Thanked by 1RobMonster
  • It’s funny to see when “cociu” clients comment on giants in the IT world like Epik.

Thanked by 1pbx