Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A direct look at paid family email hosting. - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A direct look at paid family email hosting.

13»

Comments

• @simlev said:

@Fritz said:
    You can install other Webmail software like Rainloop or even Webmail Lite too.

You mean via Softaculous, right. I was not blaming Roundcube itself but the server, or how it's configured, since I haven't experienced any sluggishness with Roundcube elsewhere.
    I mean, it's still an exceptional value for the (one-off) price, but you need to be aware of what it is: a single server, that does email without being focused on it specifically.

Yes, I'm agree.

It focuses on hosting with email as a part of it.

• @Saahib said:

@Binaryzero said:
    Thank you, everyone, for all the great suggestions, I personally have made my choice. You are a great community and I thank you all for the suggestions and Ideas.

so, which one ?

Opening threads asking others for help and then never sharing the solution are the worst Internet users.

Thanked by 2angstrom Master_Bo
  • SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2022

@TimboJones said:

@Saahib said:

so, which one ?

Opening threads asking others for help and then never sharing the solution are the worst Internet users.

Though I ignore such irrelevant comments but its LET, I had to respond.

I don't understand what is issue here, visiting forum is not just helping others, it is also about learning from other's experience and choices. This is the same philosophy which makes us HUMAN and differentiate us from animals. Unlike animals, Human learns from other's experiences also. Here reason for asking was to know his reasons to choose, may be something special he found which I didn't know.

But I had no idea that this small curiosity will give you chance for being judgemental as well as opportunity for you to post completely irrelevant post to in the thread.

• @Saahib said:

@TimboJones said:

@Saahib said:

so, which one ?

Though I ignore such irrelevant comments but its LET, I had to respond.

I don't understand what is issue here, visiting forum is not just helping others, it is also about learning from other's experience and choices. This is the same philosophy which makes us HUMAN and differentiate us from animals. Unlike animals, Human learns from other's experiences also. Here reason for asking was to know his reasons to choose, may be something special he found which I didn't know.

But I had no idea that this small curiosity will give you chance for being judgemental as well as opportunity for you to post completely irrelevant post to in the thread.

You do understand that @TimboJones was reacting to @Binaryzero and not to you, right?

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

@angstrom said:
    You do understand that @TimboJones was reacting to @Binaryzero and not to you, right?

Oh, that's shame, I guess I should not check LET before going to bed.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • Can recomend https://soverin.net/ if your privacy driven about your data.

• beazathead7beazathead7 Member
    edited February 2022

Hello, Binaryzero.
    Scala H returned their anti spam protection which is a good fact - you could check here - https://scalahosting.com/kb/how-to-enable-spamassassin/
    Also they are explaining how to configure your SPF record and DKIM properly so your email does NOT go into spam folders - which is important.
    Greetings.

• @C0TiE said:
    Can recomend https://soverin.net/ if your privacy driven about your data.

Looks polished but at €3.25 a month it's the same price to just stay with Gmail.

IMO no one who has GSuite Legacy today cares that much about privacy, they fit into the customer segment who wants something cheap that just works.

• fanfan Veteran

@cnbeining said: said to be a wrapper around AWS SES

Tried lark with a spare domain and they seem to send via domain.***.dkim.larksuite.com

Is that SES?

• @fan said:

@cnbeining said: said to be a wrapper around AWS SES

Tried lark with a spare domain and they seem to send via domain.***.dkim.larksuite.com

Is that SES?

Under the hood yes.

• BinaryzeroBinaryzero Member
    edited March 2022

I want to apologize to everyone who expressed dissatisfaction with me for not sharing who I am ended up going with, I ended up needing to deal with a divorce so that delayed things a bit, and I had not made a choice until now. I will be going with MXRoute, they feel to be the most solid offering for what I need and have the lowest risk of IP blocking in my opinion.

Thank to @jar for his sharing his reasons for protecting his IPs it is what sold it for me.

And to everyone else that contributed: You are a great lot of humans and all of your feedback was invaluable!

Thanked by 2jar Ironia
  • @Binaryzero said:
    I want to apologize to everyone who expressed dissatisfaction with me for not sharing who I am ended up going with, I ended up needing to deal with a divorce so that delayed things a bit, and I had not made a choice until now. I will be going with MXRoute, they feel to be the most solid offering for what I need and have the lowest risk of IP blocking in my opinion.

Thank to @jar for his sharing his reasons for protecting his IPs it is what sold it for me.

And to everyone else that contributed: You are a great lot of humans and all of your feedback was invaluable!

So you ended with personal email hosting instead of family email hosting?

Feel sorry for you, man. Hope everything get better.

Thanked by 1sibaper
  • thanks for the kind words!

I still need family, just one less account. I still need to host my adult children and parents.

• A bit on the pricier side but... Google Workspace, it's a great service

• msattmsatt Member

I wouldn't go / stay with Google unless it is free.
    G-Suite Legacy forever free, lets rename it Workspace and charge everyone. Very dirty trick and they keep on doing these tricks. Lets lock you in and then bump up the charges.

As far as moving away from GMail (G-Suite legacy), I setup cloudflare to do email forwarding to a free GMail account and setup a CPanel on Racknerd to allow sending (using my domain name).
    All photos, were shared with the new account and autosave enabled so I have all photos available on the free account.

For GDrive I used rclone and rsynced everything to the free account.
    All bookmarks and passwords copied to new account.
    Ok it took a bit of planning and apart from the rclone setup, moving everything to new accounts took about 10 minutes per account (have 12 accounts/colleagues).

Thanked by 1Dazzle
  • @Binaryzero said: Zoho

Hard pass, I have worked with them in the past.

Curious as to what made you move away from Zoho? Other than the not-so-recent change where IMAP access was made premier.. can't say I have much to complain about them.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@Binaryzero said:

@bruh21 said:
    Yandex

I live in the US, so hard pass. :)

Office 365 is great!

• @Obelous said:
    A bit on the pricier side but... Google Workspace, it's a great service

It is crap in every sense of the word, that is what I am trying to get away from

• @abytecurious said:

@Binaryzero said: Zoho

Hard pass, I have worked with them in the past.

Curious as to what made you move away from Zoho? Other than the not-so-recent change where IMAP access was made premier.. can't say I have much to complain about them.

Never used them, but I did check them out, I did not like the UI, the price or the bloat, I was just looking for email.

Thanked by 1abytecurious
  • @WebProject said:

@Binaryzero said:

@bruh21 said:
    Yandex

I live in the US, so hard pass. :)

Office 365 is great!

It would be valid, but their PPU is too high for my needs, this is family email, not a business.

• @msatt said:
    I wouldn't go / stay with Google unless it is free.
    G-Suite Legacy forever free, lets rename it Workspace and charge everyone. Very dirty trick and they keep on doing these tricks. Lets lock you in and then bump up the charges.

I agree with what you are saying but at the same time, we have to expect that it would end at some point.

The rest of what you said is valid but does not fit my use case.

• @Binaryzero said:

@Obelous said:

It is crap in every sense of the word, that is what I am trying to get away from

Out of curiosity, what makes you think it is crap? I've tried just about every similar service out there, and very few comes even close to Google Workspace or 365.
    For pure emailhosting you can get something cheaper elsewhere, that is true, but then you are not really comparing apples to apples.

• utfutf Member
    edited March 2022

Yandex[dot]com provides free custom domain mail account with smtp/pop3/imap support until 1000 accounts. I tried today with a free .tk domain. You can check.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@utf said:
    Yandex[dot]com provides free custom domain mail account with smtp/pop3/imap support until 1000 accounts. I tried today with a free .tk domain. You can check.

Yandex has already been mentioned several times in this thread (and the OP prefers not to use Yandex)

Congrats on your first post

• Didn't google say they'd do something about a family plan and do a survey and shit?

They need something to compete against Office family plan.

• @TimboJones said:
    Didn't google say they'd do something about a family plan and do a survey and shit?

They need something to compete against Office family plan.

But they never said that it was going to amount to anything, it was more like take our survey and we may think about it.

• @utf said:

In light of our current geopolitical landscape, there is no way I would use them.

• @rcy026 said:

@Binaryzero said:

@Obelous said:

Out of curiosity, what makes you think it is crap? I've tried just about every similar service out there, and very few comes even close to Google Workspace or 365.
    For pure emailhosting you can get something cheaper elsewhere, that is true, but then you are not really comparing apples to apples.

Partly bitter over the always free service ending, the rest is my personal tinfoil hat rant that I will spare everyone here.

• @beazathead7 said:
    Hello, Binaryzero.
    Scala H returned their anti spam protection which is a good fact - you could check here - https://scalahosting.com/kb/how-to-enable-spamassassin/
    Also they are explaining how to configure your SPF record and DKIM properly so your email does NOT go into spam folders - which is important.
    Greetings.

I missed this one, SPF and DKIM do not matter if the source IP is already blackholed for spam. But in a perfect world SPF and DKIM are very important, I can't disagree