Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A direct look at paid family email hosting.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A direct look at paid family email hosting.

I have spent the last ten days scouring the internet looking for email hosting. I am more than happy to pay for the hosting, but I do have a personal cap (that is somewhat variable) where it stops being feasible.

So what I have found is there are only a few viable hosts for personal/family email hosting for less than ten users, and here is my list.

MXroute (Forerunner, cares for their service and IPs so low to no blacklists and best cost per user )

Scalahosting (Removed their enhanced spam protection on all tiers, only offers blacklist protection on max tier)

Namescheap and a few others are per user per month. I would rather pay a flat fee yearly.

Buy hosting and use built-in email. However, this has a high risk of blacklisting IPs because of shared IP pools.

Am I missing anything or any new suggestions?

Comments

• Fastmail
    Zoho
    Postale
    Runbox

• If you want to go the shared hosting route and just use the built-in email, a provider with MailChannels would potentially solve blocklisting issues. It may be expensive than the typical shared host though, plus, I'd rather use something that's actually focused on email since they tend to know more about keeping spam out and the like.

Fastmail works great has decent spam filtering the last time I tried it. Personally, I'm on a Microsoft 365 subscription since I use the Office licenses that come along with it, and the 1TB storage for OneDrive ain't bad for the cost.

If I weren't using the Office licenses I would go for MXroute or a self-hosted VPS and run my own.

• BinaryzeroBinaryzero Member
    edited February 2022

@Astro said:
    Fastmail

They appear to have about the same per user per month costs as google. $500 a year

Zoho

Hard pass, I have worked with them in the past.

Postale

I will have to look into this one, thank you!!

Runbox

It seems to nickel and dime you, one account to start and then more for each account, $35 for main, and $15 for each additional account.

edited February 2022

@definitelyliam said:
    MailChannel

I will look into that,pitty it is $80 a month.

Fastmail works great has decent spam filtering the last time I tried it.

If there were not so gosh darn expansive, they were at the top of my list when I started.

Personally, I'm on a Microsoft 365 subscription since I use the Office licenses that come along with it, and the 1TB storage for OneDrive ain't bad for the cost.

And I get EPP rates too, I need to look over the how-to-do-it without Godaddy DNS.

If I weren't using the Office licenses I would go for MXroute or a self-hosted VPS and run my own.

Thanks, these are solid suggestions.

• cnbeiningcnbeining Member
    edited February 2022

@MikePT is using MailChannels for ALL outbound Emails. Plus you got real hosting space for projects. Plus MyW has lifetime plan.

Or if you don't care about Bytedance, Larksuite's Email is said to be a wrapper around AWS SES. Free.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • $500 a year

... $15,000 for a 30 year email account setup ... 😂😂😅

• Purelymail? $10/year

• Oh and Migadu

Thanked by 1intermall
  • bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

Yandex

• @bruh21 said:
    Yandex

I live in the US, so hard pass. :)

edited February 2022

@cnbeining said:
    @MikePT is using MailChannels for ALL outbound Emails. Plus you got real hosting space for projects. Plus MyW has lifetime plan.

Or if you don't care about Bytedance, Larksuite's Email is said to be a wrapper around AWS SES. Free.

I am a total noob here, so I am not following your shorthand for the providers.

But LARK seems like a datamine, and I do not trust its parent.

• kkrajkkkrajk Member
    edited February 2022

@Binaryzero said: Buy hosting and use built-in email. However, this has a high risk of blacklisting IPs because of shared IP pools.

@MikePT his shared hosting uses mailchannels.
    You are limited only by the diskspace (which you can always upgrade as required) & not by email accounts/domains

https://myw.pt

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @Astro said: Purelymail

@Astro said:
    Purelymail? $10/year

Looks cool but gives a "not ready for primetime" feel...

• @kkrajk said:

@Binaryzero said: Buy hosting and use built-in email. However, this has a high risk of blacklisting IPs because of shared IP pools.

@MikePT his shared hosting uses mailchannels.
    You are limited only by the diskspace (which you can always upgrade as required) & not by email accounts/domains

https://myw.pt

I have this one is the solid maybe, they do not seem to offer pricing in USD, and if that is the case conversion rates may cause issues.

• @Astro said:
    Oh and Migadu

This one is interesting and requires more research. Even cooler is their info in the imapsync tool

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited February 2022

Infomaniak - cheap for a family, reliable company
    ProtonMail - decent but expensive
    OVH - cheap for an individual inbox, pricing varies depending on the country
    Migadu - small company, low sending limits
    Purelymail - low cost, but relatively new and a one man show
    Yandex 360 - decent, but how long will the free tier last?
    VK WorkMail - old Mail.ru, wouldn't trust it
    500mail - new, but from a kind of established company
    Lark - new, no IMAP/SMTP, from ByteDance, wouldn't trust it

• ArkasArkas Moderator

RackNerd also uses MailChannels

Thanked by 1hyperblast
  • Thank you @Nyr I have already excluded some of these BUT there are some new ones for me to look at too!

• Why are we skipping free Gmail, outlook, etc?

• @Binaryzero said:
    Thank you @Nyr I have already excluded some of these BUT there are some new ones for me to look at too!

Infomaniak is great. Why not just get the MS Outlook family plan?

• @Arkas said: RackNerd

@KermEd said:
    Why are we skipping free Gmail, outlook, etc.?

You can't host a custom domain for free at any of those.

• @Astro said:

@Binaryzero said:
    Thank you @Nyr I have already excluded some of these BUT there are some new ones for me to look at too!

Infomaniak is great.

Thanks I will dig deeper into their site

Why not just get the MS Outlook family plan?

because at its core it is a violation of their TOS, and my Office365 is EPP from my work. So the two are linked to at the some level.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Two more European options:

• Inbox.eu - very cheap, old company, mediocre app and web interface, but likely decent service
    • emailprofi.cz - free, old company, passable web interface, Czech only

I will list more if I remember.

• @Nyr said:
    Two more European options:

• Inbox.eu - very cheap, old company, mediocre app and web interface, but likely decent service
    • emailprofi.cz - free, old company, passable web interface, Czech only

I will list more if I remember.

Thanks! Side note I am US based.

• @Nyr said:
    Lark - new, no IMAP/SMTP, from ByteDance, wouldn't trust it

FYI you can generate IMAP credentials by logging into their app - and remove it afterwards.

Thanked by 1Nyr
  • What about mailbox.org?

• @Astro said:
    What about mailbox.org?

Their PUPM is still 30 euros better than many but not great, plus their only DC is in Germany.

• @Binaryzero said:

@Astro said:
    What about mailbox.org?

Their PUPM is still 30 euros better than many but not great, plus their only DC is in Germany.

I'm not sure if you'll get everything you're asking for in the price you want and the locations you want. Gotta shell out the moolah for the service that best fits your needs.

• @Astro said:

@Binaryzero said:

@Astro said:
    What about mailbox.org?

I'm not sure if you'll get everything you're asking for in the price you want and the locations you want. Gotta shell out the moolah for the service that best fits your needs.

I am sorry if I offended, it was not my intent, I value your feedback and suggestions, I was just explaining my reasoning, and to me $30+ a month (I am not sure the euro/dollar conversions at this time) for email only is too low an ROI when they do not offer things like a US-based DC and most importantly IP blacklist protection. I am more than happy to pay but not business prices for my family email.

• @Binaryzero said:

@Astro said:

@Binaryzero said:

@Astro said:
    What about mailbox.org?

I am sorry if I offended, it was not my intent, I value your feedback and suggestions, I was just explaining my reasoning, and to me $30+ a month (I am not sure the euro/dollar conversions at this time) for email only is too low an ROI when they do not offer things like a US-based DC and most importantly IP blacklist protection. I am more than happy to pay but not business prices for my family email.

No offence taken at all! I think Mxroute is your best bet.