Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone issue connection speed KVM MyCustomHosting - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone issue connection speed KVM MyCustomHosting

Comments

• MCHPhilMCHPhil Member
    edited December 2013

http://mycustomhosting.net/archive/proof.swf.html

.. routes.

Had this been an issue on my end, I would have loved to fix it. As it was not. I could not.

I have explained many times that DHCP is iffy. I sent an email MONTHS back saying DHCP was the best option. After some time it was determined that DHCP was not the best option. This was due to adding more ISO and templates to the mix. Some OS respect the RFC and some do not. So I rewrote things and emailed all customers to use static IP's. If you do not follow along with the email's I can't do this for you. I'm sorry if you expected a VPS to be setup and forget. It's not. You have to MAINTAIN it. I'll agree that setting up the network once a month is not normal maintenance but really... how long did it take me to fix that?

Thanked by 1BrianHarrison
  • SpiritSpirit Member
    edited December 2013

What's with them? So you assume that I removed them after you sent us notification about node network loss yesterday and now I am posting this just to bugging you?

• MCHPhilMCHPhil Member
    edited December 2013

@Spirit said:
    What's with them? So you assume that I removed them after you sent us notification about node network loss yesterday?

The problem is your still using DHCP. Maybe a package update caused the specific OS your using to no longer respect the values. I couldn't tell you. DHCP is not the suggested way to setup your networking.

You never added the routes. Had you, they would have been in the /etc/network/interfaces file. Or did you put them elsewhere? My guide states to put them in /etc/network/interfaces.

You relied on DHCP.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited December 2013

I sent an email MONTHS back saying DHCP was the best option. After some time it was determined that DHCP was not the best option. This was due to adding more ISO and templates to the mix. Some OS respect the RFC and some do not. So I rewrote things and emailed all customers to use static IP's.

&&

The problem is your still using DHCP.

I use DHCP because YOU TOLD me so.

I went through my whole WHMCS email history (want me to do screenshoot too?) and the only network related mail I see is this:

To keep everything in line with OVH network standards, I need to ask everyone to set your network configurations to DHCP. Your IP will not change etc, it is locked in by the MAC address set for your VPS.

But it must be my fault because you didn't sent mail about ANOTHER network change, right?

• MCHPhil said: The problem is your still using DHCP. Maybe a package update caused the specific OS your using to no longer respect the values. I couldn't tell you. DHCP is not the suggested way to setup your networking.

I am sorry to burst your bubble, but you are wrong here. Even if you stated that DHCP wasn't working and that customers shouldn't use it, a network without DHCP would be laughed at even in the 90's...

It is not @Spirit's fault that his provider is too incompetent to setup something as simple as DHCP. General networking standards should have working DHCP. Unless of course it's your own private network, but in production, DHCP is a must.

I am not trying to bash you, but I think someone has to confirm that you are wrong here. And yes, any administrator could have resolved this issue on their own but they expect DHCP to work because it did in the beginning too.

• MCHPhilMCHPhil Member
    edited December 2013

DHCP is setup 100% correctly. OVH network requires a gateway outside your subnet. This requires a separate route to be entered before you can route the gateway. Have you ever used classless static routes, specifically options 121 and 249? I don't get to use the built in DHCP server with SolusVM. Options 121 and 249 are not widely respected DHCP options. Only some versions of Windows support it. The same can be said about Linux.

@Spirit, maybe an email escaped me. I'm one guy. At the end of it, you'd rather bash me than even check the knowledgebase or try and help yourself.. :) It's ok.

• FiberVMFiberVM Member
    edited December 2013

@MCHPhil said:
    DHCP is setup 100% correctly. OVH network requires a gateway outside your subnet. This requires a separate route to be entered before you can route the gateway. Have you ever used classless static routes, specifically options 121 and 249?

Spirit, maybe an email escaped me. I'm one guy. At the end of it, you'd rather bash me than even check the knowledgebase or try and help yourself.. :) It's ok.

Hey hey hey, wait a moment! If DHCP doesn't pass the correct gateway to use then it is not working 100% correctly.

Regarding the second remark, which is plain out rude: people who don't need help won't check the knowledge base periodically, it's called knowledge and not announcement base for a reason.

• @MCHPhil said:
    Spirit, maybe an email escaped me. I'm one guy. At the end of it, you'd rather bash me than even check the knowledgebase or try and help yourself.. :) It's ok.

This isn't problem. People do mistakes... Problem is that you're so perfect that you don't do mistakes and it's all other peoples fault. Always. So yes, I used DHCP because you explicitely requested from me to use it. And now this was a problem and I shouldn't use it? So who's fault is this? Mine?

And for the record, I opened support ticket before I posted anything at all here. If you would try to work atleast a bit with your clients this thread wouldn't even exist. You wouldn't heard from me anything at all also if this would be the lonely case - but you're doing this to people all the time. There are issues with your network, I get it. But how hard is to assist to clients when you know that those issues wouldn't even exist if everything would work well at your side?

• @Spirit said:

Simple, because you didn't even try to assist yourself.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited December 2013

I thought that you're the one who messed up and didn't send out notification about ANOTHER network change. Ah, wait.. it can't be you. You don't do mistakes. It's all other people fault. Always. Even when they follow your explicit setup request and it turn out to be mistake, like in this case.. it's their fault! Way to go @MCHPhil! I am out of here...

• MCHPhilMCHPhil Member
    edited December 2013

@Spirit said:
    I thought that you're the one who messed up and didn't send out notification about ANOTHER network change. Ah, wait.. it can't be you. You don't do mistakes. It's all other people fault. Always.

I did, I thought I sent an email I didn't. That is my fault.

I updated the IPv4 configuration KB. 99% of my customers noticed this. As I have said before I do expect my customers to try and resolve issues on their own. Not doing anything except creating a ticket for an issue you can easily troubleshoot and then resolve with the information provided, is outside the scope of unmanaged support.

I informed you there are no issues with the node and you would need to inspect the issue yourself. Which is 100% true is it not?

At $7.50 a year, any sort of management is not included.

I will not be responding to this thread any more.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited December 2013

Even when there's issue at your side as your monthly network changes without informing clients are? No matter how much client pay for this VPS, it's not worth it, so as I said - feel free to terminate it and keep money. I don't have problem with this anymore but you, with your attitude toward your clients will always have it.

Thanked by 1agonyzt
  • edited December 2013

So, the vps is never having a problem or it's working perfectly when it's in "Online" state, but how about with not working internet connection?

Is it at client fault for having an Online vps but with no internet connection?

Maybe that's just the common questions from the vps user. So, the problem is with OVH with their DHCP problem then?

• @MCHPhil said:

Thanks Sir for help my vps has been running okey
    and for all have same problem try go to knowladge page
    and see tutorial about network optimising

also change name server to google dns

• MCHPhilMCHPhil Member
    edited December 2013

@ZeroCool said:
    also change name server to google dns

Are 8.26.56.26 and 8.20.247.20 not working as expected? I will change this if needed so that when new VPS are deployed, they will use working DNS and not 8.26.56.26 and 8.20.247.20.

I ask because I do very little DNS lookup on my VPS. I would likely not notice them acting up etc.

• ZeroCoolZeroCool Member
    edited December 2013

@MCHPhil said:

it's working i just change it and after i change my name server to google
    at file /etc/resolve.cnf .. i got more better speed

i try combine name server google dns and opendns for ipv4

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • Ian_Ian_ Member
    edited December 2013

Wow! Arrogance is a killer.

• ZeroCoolZeroCool Member
    edited December 2013

and this my result now after follow all instruction all at knowladge page about optimisng network

[root@kvm ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync && rm -f test
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 3.12555 seconds, 344 MB/s
    [root@kvm ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync && rm -f test
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 3.04534 seconds, 353 MB/s

Connection speed now

Now i am happy :)

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

@MCHPhil said:
    At $7.50 a year, any sort of management is not included.

Wow, that's an incredible price. Anyone expecting anything beyond a strictly self-managed VPS would be ill-advised. At a regular sysadmins rates, $7.50 wouldn't even cover 5 minutes of admin time.

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • alexvolkalexvolk Member
    edited December 2013

@BrianHarrison said:
    Wow, that's an incredible price. Anyone expecting anything beyond a strictly self-managed VPS would be ill-advised. At a regular sysadmins rates, $7.50 wouldn't even cover 5 minutes of admin time.

Read the thread again. Who were asking for managed server ? Customers were expecting working vps for which they have paid. @MCHPhill failed to accept his faults and were blaming OVH and his clients.

• HeinzHeinz Member
    edited December 2013

@MCHPhil said:
    So I rewrote things and emailed all customers to use static IP's. If you do not follow along with the email's I can't do this for you.

You should get rid of ego and arrogance now when we know that you did not sent this email because this changes everything.

@BrianHarrison said:

My Custom Hosting
    Good evening,
    To keep everything in line with OVH network standards, I need to ask everyone to set your network configurations to DHCP. Your IP will not change etc, it is locked in by the MAC address set for your VPS.

And now he's saying that clients should not use DHCP. How could clients possibly know this? We do not have crystal ball to know every network setup change on a regular basis.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited December 2013

As I understand it everyone is welcome to their opinion on this forum, so although contrary to the majority, here is how it looks in my book.

Most providers here are looking for unique ways to develop their businesses. I surely wish all of them continued success. Because we all win when new and better products are offered by providers The products that they introduce are sometimes accepted by a greater or lesser percentage of users here on LET. @serverian does backupsy and is a big hit. @MCHPhil decides to add self managed KVMs at OVH and maybe not as many people stand and cheer. His KVMs are not turnkey production ready boxes, they are a huge amount of self managed resources, on fast nodes, at prices that very few providers want to match, and I've asked many here to do so. As a development KVM the flexibility that I have had with my pair of KVM has worked very well for me and I am a happy customer.

As far as everyone's perception of Phil's attitude goes. Guess what guys, that's Phil. Love him or hate him he doesn't have to change who he is for any of us. Do you want to deal with him as a provider? That's up to you. Should we bash him on a public forum, because we did not like the product that we bought? It is not that he did not provide the product that he specified in his listings, its that some of us do not like the product that he is offering and want him to change it to fit our needs. Is that really fair?

OVH as we all know can be a difficult DC to work with and is probably the reason there are not more LET providers there. @MCHPhil has always, sometimes painfully, stated that his KVM offerings are at ultra low prices, and are "completely" self managed. I think we should all get the idea what that means by now as there are enough threads that go on and on about this same thing.

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • From my personal experience, Phil has helped me with the network configuration via ticket. My experience with him has been positive so far on various occasions. I'd just chalk this up to a bad day or something.

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • I have one KVM with @MCHPhil as well, I am another happy customer.

The KVM works very well, only the way of network configuration is differ for other. This was clearly stated in their welcome mail. I managed to get my KVM out within few hour and it has been up till now.

I did send a ticket to do the rdns of my ip, it was answer within few hours and get it solved with only one reply. @MCHPhil is great.

This is un-managed KVM which may not be suitable for those very new with server configuration.

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • hotsnowhotsnow Veteran
    edited December 2013

@ZeroCool said:
    and this my result now after follow all instruction all at knowladge page about optimisng network

hi, could you please make several tests of wget http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test and http://ipv4.bhs.proof.ovh.net/files/1Gb.dat ?

• @hotsnow said:

root@wipe:~# wget http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    --2013-12-05 06:04:42-- http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    Resolving cachefly.cachefly.net (cachefly.cachefly.net)... 205.234.175.175
    Connecting to cachefly.cachefly.net (cachefly.cachefly.net)|205.234.175.175|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 104857600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: `100mb.test'

100%[======================================>] 104,857,600 38.2M/s in 2.6s

2013-12-05 06:04:44 (38.2 MB/s) - `100mb.test' saved [104857600/104857600]

root@wipe:~# wget http://ipv4.bhs.proof.ovh.net/files/1Gb.dat
    --2013-12-05 06:05:16-- http://ipv4.bhs.proof.ovh.net/files/1Gb.dat
    Resolving ipv4.bhs.proof.ovh.net (ipv4.bhs.proof.ovh.net)... 198.27.85.58
    Connecting to ipv4.bhs.proof.ovh.net (ipv4.bhs.proof.ovh.net)|198.27.85.58|:80... connected.
    Length: 125000000 (119M) [application/x-ns-proxy-autoconfig]
    Saving to: `1Gb.dat'

100%[======================================>] 125,000,000 110M/s in 1.1s

2013-12-05 06:05:17 (110 MB/s) - `1Gb.dat' saved [125000000/125000000]

Thanked by 1hotsnow
  • @hotsnow said:

[root@kvm ~]# wget http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    --2013-12-05 10:58:06--  http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    Resolving cachefly.cachefly.net... 205.234.175.175
    Connecting to cachefly.cachefly.net|205.234.175.175|:80... connected.

100%[======================================>] 104,857,600 39.1M/s   in 2.6s

2013-12-05 10:58:09 (39.1 MB/s) - `100mb.test' saved [104857600/104857600]

[root@kvm ~]# wget http://ipv4.bhs.proof.ovh.net/files/1Gb.dat
    --2013-12-05 10:58:46--  http://ipv4.bhs.proof.ovh.net/files/1Gb.dat
    Resolving ipv4.bhs.proof.ovh.net... 198.27.85.58
    Connecting to ipv4.bhs.proof.ovh.net|198.27.85.58|:80... connected.

100%[======================================>] 125,000,000  110M/s   in 1.1s

2013-12-05 10:58:48 (110 MB/s) - `1Gb.dat' saved [125000000/125000000]

Thanked by 1hotsnow
  • hotsnowhotsnow Veteran
    edited December 2013

I'm also on CA-VPS3, I've also tested several times, to the ovh is about the same as @smile93 and @ZeroCool, but to cachefly is not so good as them, I'm also use virtio and already optimised it according the Knowledgebase.

I think @smile93 and @ZeroCool are not on the same node as me...

root@mch:~# wget http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    --2013-12-05 06:19:19--  http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    Connecting to cachefly.cachefly.net (cachefly.cachefly.net)|205.234.175.175|:80... connected.

100%[=======================================================>] 104,857,600 16.3M/s   in 7.0s    

2013-12-05 06:19:26 (14.3 MB/s) - `100mb.test' saved [104857600/104857600]

root@mch:~# wget http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    --2013-12-05 06:19:30--  http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    Saving to: `100mb.test.1'

100%[=======================================================>] 104,857,600 15.7M/s   in 7.4s    

2013-12-05 06:19:37 (13.5 MB/s) - `100mb.test.1' saved [104857600/104857600]

• hotsnowhotsnow Veteran
    edited December 2013

@black said:

From my personal experience, Phil has helped me with the network configuration via ticket. My experience with him has been positive so far on various occasions. I'd just chalk this up to a bad day or something.

Phil also helped me with the network issue, although at last found it's a improper mac caused this :)

Have to say, the ovh's network configuration (failover ip and bridge client) is really annoying, not friendly as other provider,

but the KB is very useful for improve the disk/net performance, thanks Phil

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • My VPS at CA-VPS3,

[root@mch /]# wget http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    --2013-12-05 08:54:51--  http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    Resolving cachefly.cachefly.net... 205.234.175.175
    Connecting to cachefly.cachefly.net|205.234.175.175|:80... connected.

100%[=============================>] 104,857,600 18.8M/s   in 5.9s

2013-12-05 08:54:57 (16.9 MB/s) - `100mb.test' saved [104857600/104857600]

and

[root@mch /]# wget http://ipv4.bhs.proof.ovh.net/files/1Gb.dat
    --2013-12-05 08:57:52--  http://ipv4.bhs.proof.ovh.net/files/1Gb.dat
    Resolving ipv4.bhs.proof.ovh.net... 198.27.85.58
    Connecting to ipv4.bhs.proof.ovh.net|198.27.85.58|:80... connected.

100%[==============================>] 125,000,000 50.7M/s   in 2.3s

2013-12-05 08:57:54 (50.7 MB/s) - `1Gb.dat' saved [125000000/125000000]

This discussion has been closed.