Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone issue connection speed KVM MyCustomHosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone issue connection speed KVM MyCustomHosting

ZeroCoolZeroCool Member
edited December 2013 in General

dear all

i have server speed connection both download and upload issue with mycustomhosting kvm 4GB Montreal this so slow,

like sir phil say at my ticket "I would suggest you troubleshoot the issue on your VPS because there is no issue with the host node. " i has been resintalled my kvm 2 time
and i not do anything with my vps all clear and default setting

meybe someone have same issue low speed

This my result date 27/11/2103

This result Today

please share your result if you under mycustomhosting 4GB KVM motreal
i think this limit per client speed conection from provider

wget -O speedtest-cli https://raw.github.com/sivel/speedtest-cli/master/speedtest_cli.py
chmod +x speedtest-cli
./speedtest-cli --share

Comments

• Are you using the virtio network card?

• ZeroCoolZeroCool Member
    edited December 2013

@agonyzt said:
    Are you using the virtio network card?

yes i am under use virtio network card

i has been 2 time fresh reinstalled my kvm and do settup like spirit say but result still nothing change

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited December 2013

KVM Node CA-VPS4

Download speed from CacheFly: 51.2MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Atlanta, GA: 19.1MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Newark, NJ: 48.4MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Dallas, TX: 22.8MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 7.01MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, London, UK: 13.2MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 14.4MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 5.47MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 16.3MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 16.4MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 29.7MB/s

ZeroCool said: i has been try it but still got same result then

Strange because for me "net.core.rmem_max=16777216, etc..." setup change drasticly improved speed.

• i am under node
    Node CA-VPS3

• @Inglar said:

what NODE u use bro ?

• Type: cat /etc/sysctl.conf and who us content please.
    I hope you run "sysctl -p" after change.

• MCHPhilMCHPhil Member
    edited December 2013

From CA-VPS3.. Not the host node. From a VPS I have on CA-VPS3. I personally feel these speed are acceptable and should be attainable for ANY other VPS on the node, with correct configuration.

OP I hope you do not expect to see full gbit speeds, 24/7, at $21 a quarter for 4GB RAM. A great deal, yes. But there will be compromises. The speeds here are great for the price.

I will just set your ticket to answered since you decided to take things to public forum.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited December 2013

This speed test doesn't matter much anyway, as it test speeds inside own OVH CA network.

@MCHPhil out of curiosity - why such upload speed differences in your results?

• Could be a lot of reasons. Internal network routing, if it is all OVH. I didn't check much I just ran a speed test from my VPS to the 5 test locations in Montreal. All the way to other customers using the node or a backup running. It is shared :D

• @ZeroCool said:

CA-VPS2

edited December 2013

@MCHPhil said:
    From CA-VPS3.. Not the host node. From a VPS I have on CA-VPS3. I personally feel these speed are acceptable and should be attainable for ANY other VPS on the node, with correct configuration.

OP I hope you do not expect to see full gbit speeds, 24/7, at $21 a quarter for 4GB RAM. A great deal, yes. But there will be compromises. The speeds here are great for the price.

I will just set your ticket to answered since you decided to take things to public forum.

yes that true like you say
    your answer just tell me to troubleshot my vps , yup i has been do it but until now i got same result, i know this shared, i not say need 1Gbit speed, but like i write, from 27/11/13 until now is same result very low sir, i has been 2 time freesh reinstalled, if shared then that not alaways got low speed right sometime got good result but this from 27/11/13 same result

edited December 2013

i just need find to other client who got same result with me then my decision i must find at LET with posting

becouse i know you not give support like this becouse unmanage plan like you write into your email before

• cppgohancppgohan Member
    edited December 2013

@ZeroCool said:
    i just need find to other client who got same result with me then my decision i must find at LET with posting

becouse i know you not give support like this becouse unmanage plan like you write into your email before

I'm on CA-VPS3, my speedtest is very good, but UnixBench score is not good for their CPU limit scripts.

ServerBearBench:

• hotsnowhotsnow Veteran
    edited December 2013

I'm also on CA-VPS3, I've tested several times just now, wget from cachefly and http://ipv4.bhs.proof.ovh.net/files/1Gb.dat, sometimes the speed is fast, sometimes slow, the max speed from cachefly is about 20M/s, from ovh is about 70M/s,

when slow, even wget from BHS OVH (internal network), the speed only 10M/s

• cachefly must not have a POP near OVH's BHS facility.

Speedtest from CA-VPS3 to Buffalo, NY, USA

Speedtest from Buffalo, NY, USA on a shared 1 Gbps port
            Download Speed: 16.15 MB/sec
            Upload speed: 28.89 MB/sec

It's not too shabby.

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • i've got one of these plans, so far not too bad but I'm sure time will tell :)
    yes performance isn't "super" but so far its been acceptable, particularly at the price point this plan is offered at.

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • I also got one of the black friday 4GB KVMs and am pretty happy. IPv6 setup was more complicated than it needed to be, but I think that's an OVHism. Speedtests are weird, not showing very fast upload, but actually pushing files via http is rather zippy:

But I was able to pull a dummy file from this VPS to my Swiftway storage VPS (the pre-order one from back in Sept-Oct) at almost 370Mbps:

HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 1073741824 (1.0G) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: 1gb.bin
    100%[=======================>] 1,073,741,824 46.0M/s   in 22s

2013-12-04 01:43:12 (45.7 MB/s) - 1gb.bin

This morning I saw some rather slow disk I/O. I retried a few times all around this result:

# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync; rm -f test
        16384+0 records in
        16384+0 records out
        1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 24.2022 s, 44.4 MB/s

But I followed their Disk IO Optimization guide (https://billing.mycustomhosting.net/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=3) and immediately retested and got this and every time since:

# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync; rm -f test
        16384+0 records in
        16384+0 records out
        1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 3.34916 s, 321 MB/s

Maybe it was a coincidence, but so far I'm very impressed with this server for the price. Keep up the good work @MCHPhil !!

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • My MyCustomHosting VPS is down since yesterday. But that's nothing new with countless maintenances all the time.
    Last time he migrated us we were down 24 hours and so was his billing system so we didn't even know what's going on.

It's pretty safe to say that MyCustomHosting sucks.

• agonyztagonyzt Member
    edited December 2013

Rockster said: It's pretty safe to say that MyCustomHosting sucks.

I wouldn't say it sucks but there's definitely room for improvement. I used to be a huge fan of MyCustomHosting but the last few days I've not been impressed with their service at all...

It started 3 days ago with 2 completely random crashes while doing basic operations (creating a tallball?). SolusVM was showing the VPS as up and running, but there was no way to log in using SSH or even use the VNC console from the panel (was saying "connected" but was stuck there). According to MCHPhil, the node is okay so my VPS should be okay too. Then the network connection started to act up. The gateway is intermittently unreachable across reboots (with proper setup according to the knowledge base article). I know for sure it has nothing to do with my setup, as even booting from an ISO image, the installer cannot (50% of the time) reach the gateway with proper manual setup. I reboot, and it works. I reboot, doesn't work anymore. Be it my installed OS or a live ISO, doesn't matter, I have the same totally random problem. But according to MCHPhil, the node is okay and it's not his problem.

UPDATE: Today it's working flawlessly... No more gateway issues!

I'm generally a very positive person and don't like to go on public forums to get my issues fixed. The rare times I had to contact any kind of tech support before using MCH I always received useful replies instead of something along the line of "my infrastructure is working fine, it's your problem" or "your knowledge is too limited to use a KVM VPS, want an OpenVZ VPS instead?".

Anyway, YMMV. I think MCHPhil offers a great service at a great price but he's definitely not willing to do that extra work to make his customers happy campers. But hey, who would invest time to fix random issues for a customer who paid 24$ for a year of service?

• agonyzt said: "your knowledge is too limited to use a KVM VPS, want an OpenVZ VPS instead?"

Phil says this to everyone. He never takes responsibility for things out of customers control or express regrets for long down times like this one since yesterday. In all years in hosting industry I never meet more arrogant guy than Phil.

• MCHPhilMCHPhil Member
    edited December 2013

@Rockster said:

Honestly dude, if your that sad with the service provided. Find a new host.

Give me a ticket ID?

I love when people talk trash with no basis :D

I also ALWAYS send emails if there is going to be downtime. So please.. LOL

I'm sorry some of you expect me to hold your hand when there is a problem. That's not how I do business. If that's what you need, you need a different provider. My service is geared towards those that are considered "true" geeks. Those that tinker and are able to work in a break-fix environment. If you put in a ticket and say it isn't working. I check hardware node. I check MY VPS on that hardware node and if the issue is not repeatable, that says it's likely an issue with you and your implementation. I'm sorry if you don't understand this.

Also a big thing, how am I supposed to troubleshoot your KVM VPS? You have the account information, not me. So...

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited December 2013

Well @MCHPhil my VPS is also down 24 hours or so and I actually opened support ticket few hours ago. Things goes like that with you.

Your notification:

This is to inform you that I am aware of the current network loss on CA-VPS4. The server is functioning properly. I can see that via KVM over IP. I'm unable to ping anything past the switch it is connected to.
    I have ticketed OVH.
    Unfortunetly during this downtime, the billing system will be offline due to it being hosted on CA-VPS4.

My ticket day after:

Hello,
    any idea what's going on with my VPS at CA-VPS4 node? I know that you notified us about issue yesterday but your site seems up while my VPS still doesn't come back.

Your standard response:

All VPS are online. Please troubleshoot issue with your VPS.

And now you're wondering why people open threads here? Always when there's some issue at your side, and there's a lot of them all the time, you expect from clients to solve it. And if they insist you throw them in face that THEY aren't capable to manage KVM. Reading always the same things from people here maybe you're the one who should stick with OpenVZ.
    And no, I won't troubleshoot issue for you anymore. VPS which is down all the time and need ticketing and network configuration EVERY MONTH isn't worth of my time no matter what price I pay.

• MCHPhilMCHPhil Member
    edited December 2013

Spirit, lets break down in public why your VPS is still offline. May I access it? You may watch me work via VNC. I'll show you how it's your trouble. Maybe you can explain things to other people.

http://i.imgur.com/J4BpqBy.png

Your VPS is online. Further troubleshooting MUST be performed by you. I do not know your root login. How would I troubleshoot further. I'd love to know.

This offer is open to anyone.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited December 2013

@MCHPhil it's always the same. Node had network issue yesteday, vps never came back - and it supposed to be my problem? Just like guy above said, you never take responsibility for anything.
    Do what you want with my VPS, I don't care anymore - this VPS simply isn't worth of all this work on monthly basis anymore. Keep it, terminate it, donate it to someone.. I don't care. I know that things can go wrong sometimes but in this case I am simply not willing to work on networking problems every month.

• @Spirit said:
    MCHPhil it's always the same. Node had network issue yesteday, vps never came back - and it supposed to be my problem? Just like guy above said, you never take responsibility for anything.
    Do what you want with my VPS, I don't care anymore - this VPS simply isn't worth of all this work on monthly basis anymore. Keep it, terminate it, donate it to someone.. I don't care. I am simply not willing to work on networking problems every month.

Not a problem at all. Have a good day. I'll record video and crack open your VPS fix and post. Should be good for a few.

• Rather work on your attitude.

• I, for one, would love to see @MCHPhil recording a VNC session troubleshooting @Spirit's KVM. That would put everything to rest, whether for or against.

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
This discussion has been closed.