Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PHP-Friends vServer Winter Special 2021 SSD Mini - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PHP-Friends vServer Winter Special 2021 SSD Mini

Comments

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@AXYZE said: They are in fact dedicated (logical) cores.

Thanks for the clarification!

• @AXYZE said:

@BarkingIron said:

@drizbo said:
    I know

Dedizierte Kerne 8 (inkl. Nested Virtualization)

But im pretty certain this is not 8 physical cores, its 4 with hyperthreading.

False advertising? Let's see when it delivers. I think it's 8 cores.

No its not false advertising. They are in fact dedicated (logical) cores.
    It means that you will get one thread (logical core) from one physical core dedicated. It DOESN'T mean that you get 4 physical cores. You just get one thread per core and someone else sits on second thread. It can scale perfectly (8x) or slightly worse (6x), but because its dedicated nobody will throttle you to 1/4 performance like on other VPSes in this price range.
    This is middleground between typical VPS and dedi.

Thank you! Do you know how it benches? GB5

Thanked by 1NewToTheGame
  • @AXYZE said:

@BarkingIron said:

@drizbo said:
    I know

It means that you will get one thread (logical core) from one physical core dedicated. It DOESN'T mean that you get 4 physical cores. You just get one thread per core and someone else sits on second thread. It can scale perfectly (8x) or slightly worse (6x), but because its dedicated nobody will throttle you to 1/4 performance like on other VPSes in this price range.

exactly. it nowhere says you get access to raw cpu cores, as in physical cores. it is a virtual core. and it is dedicated to you, so you can use whatever you get out of it. it nowhere says, that this matches the performance of a physical core of the host node cpu either.

if you want your own physical cores, stick to a baremetal server. virtual servers never work that way... ;-)

Thanked by 1AXYZE
  • @Falzo said:

@AXYZE said:

@BarkingIron said:

@drizbo said:
    I know

exactly. it nowhere says you get access to raw cpu cores, as in physical cores. it is a virtual core. and it is dedicated to you, so you can use whatever you get out of it. it nowhere says, that this matches the performance of a physical core of the host node cpu either.

if you want your own physical cores, stick to a baremetal server. virtual servers never work that way... ;-)

Well, learned something today!

• @BarkingIron said: Well, learned something today!

yeah, I know one would like to have it otherwise, but I guess vps providers need to make a living too. so it's more or less obvious that they simply can't offer you dedicated performance for the fraction of the price. it has to be mixed somehow.

of course what you really get out of it in the end depends on the providers choice in how many people to cram on one host and how to balance them. also what kind of audience they attract and how quick they weed out potential abuser and such.

consider it a game ;-)

Thanked by 1dev077
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited December 2021

@BarkingIron said:

@AXYZE said:

@BarkingIron said:

@drizbo said:
    I know

Thank you! Do you know how it benches? GB5

From what I remember their v3 / v4 offers had ~500-600 per core, but at the same time 40k IOPS limit (VERY high). This offer is perfect for webhosting, spinning up VM's (Nest virt is included in price!) or databases, not so great for video encoding.

You can get full refund if you don't like it, there's 14 day cancellation policy in Germany.

• @Arkas said:

@dev_vps said: 8 CPU Threads .... threads are commonly termed as VPS cores
    Check with any provider on LET

This is the problem with some of the German providers. How much would it cost them to translate it properly into English?
    I also translated it as 8 "Kerne" which is cores.
    So it is now threads, and I wonder If they are dedicated. Can anyone confirm?

Check with any provider that offers "dedicated cores" ... the term "core" refers to CPU HWT thread.

Infact one provider gave me "dedicated cpu core" with both its threads. The VPS details still mentioned 2 dedicated cores.

• That is marketing term common in VPS world.

BuyVM SLICE 4096 mentions one dedicated core and no prize for guessing what it really means

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

I love seeing these kinds of conversationson here without people getting bent out of shape! Sorry for going off topic!

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@dev_vps said: Check with any provider that offers "dedicated cores" ... the term "core" refers to CPU HWT thread.

Ok, but are the threads dedicated or shared, and If so, what is the steal%?

• @Arkas said:

@dev_vps said: Check with any provider that offers "dedicated cores" ... the term "core" refers to CPU HWT thread.

Ok, but are the threads dedicated or shared, and If so, what is the steal%?

dedicated - Have used them before - was chomping over 99% average for some encoding. No complaints whatsoever.

Steal % - depends on your neighbors - usually they are accommodating if you find things go downhill and will work with you to provide a satisfactory response.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@plumberg said: Steal % - depends on your neighbors - usually they are accommodating if you find things go downhill and will work with you to provide a satisfactory response.

Great, thanks!

• @Brend4n said:
    Just got this offer in email from PHP-Friends, seems pretty solid!

4 Dedicated vCores Intel Xeon E5 v3 / v4
    8GB DDR4 ECC RAM
    80 GB SSD storage (RAID-10)
    1 GBit / s connection
    Unlimited Traffic
    4,99 € (Incl VAT)

There's also a double resources version for 2x the price.

https://php-friends.de/vserver-ssd/vserver-winterspecial-2021-ssd-mini

Please stop reposting... check other threads dude

• Avoid contract companies.

• @swain said: Please stop reposting... check other threads dude

says the person that is resaying, what was already said to him.. lol

• @Ght said:
    Avoid contract companies.

Lolz. It's a free world. You dont like contracts, move on.

If you choose to understand how businesses work in EU especially Germany, this is not the right place for you to be

• @Ght said:

All terms are laid out in plain text. Nothing wrong .

• @plumberg said:

@Ght said:

Lolz. It's a free world. You dont like contracts, move on.

If you choose to understand how businesses work in EU especially Germany, this is not the right place for you to be

No it's not a Free World , who told you that ? You are living into a Closed World and you are LIMITED.

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited December 2021

The customer has the free will to accept (or decline) the offer along with terms and conditions. No one is forcing you to sign the contract

• Yeah it's threads, but still, at this price point it cannot be beat. You also have a dedicated 1Gbps port so this is still competitive with the larger hoster companies such as OVH and this is still a suitable alternative to Kimsufi KS-1 as long as you're okay with it being a VM.

• @Privacy said:
    Yeah it's threads, but still, at this price point it cannot be beat. You also have a dedicated 1Gbps port so this is still competitive with the larger hoster companies such as OVH and this is still a suitable alternative to Kimsufi KS-1 as long as you're okay with it being a VM.

1 Gbps port is not dedicated

• Any YABS for this offer?

I'd buy if GK5 goes 1k on single core

• @nikozin said:
    Any YABS for this offer?

thats definitely not happening. This is not what you want. Your expectations are too high.

Merry X'mas to you and your loved ones!

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

That is a pretty good price

• @nikozin said:
    Any YABS for this offer?

For Intel Xeon E5-1650 v3, single core benchmark would be around 850-875 and for v4 version, it would be around 900-925

• @dev_vps said: 1 Gbps port is not dedicated

Good to know, I've read that it was in this thread...

• Anyone got their machine yet? Tim mentioned it should have happened yesterday but it's xmas so hopefully they are all chilling at home with their families!

• @dev_vps said:

@Privacy said:
    Yeah it's threads, but still, at this price point it cannot be beat. You also have a dedicated 1Gbps port so this is still competitive with the larger hoster companies such as OVH and this is still a suitable alternative to Kimsufi KS-1 as long as you're okay with it being a VM.

https://php-friends.de/vserver-ssd/traffic

It says here that it is dedicated though.

• @TODO said:

@dev_vps said:

@Privacy said:

Maybe @PHP_Friends can clarify the cores and port?

• @BarkingIron said:

@TODO said:

@dev_vps said:

@Privacy said:

Maybe @PHP_Friends can clarify the cores and port?

VPS having a dedicated 1 gbit port .. means
    1. Host machine must have 10 gbit port
    2. No more than 10 VPS per host server