Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[RECOMMENDATIONS FOR NEW MEMBERS]: Most trustworthy, reliable, over all BEST LET providers? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[RECOMMENDATIONS FOR NEW MEMBERS]: Most trustworthy, reliable, over all BEST LET providers?

13»

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Thanks for the shoutouts :)

Francisco

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • miaumiau Member
    edited December 2021

@DP said:

@miau said: Amy recommendation for host with cheaper storage price (other than time4vps) ?

Check out NexusBytes maybe?

Looks good but it's a weak offering, when it is placed between similarly priced , unmetered BuyVM's dynamically attachable block storage system or ridiculously cheap and reliable time4vps ovz6.

I just need a big storage with very basic processing power.

• It’s really interesting that despite apparently being voted the best provider or whatever on LET that Racknerd isn’t being mentioned more as a recommended provider 🤣

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@miau said:

@DP said:

@miau said: Amy recommendation for host with cheaper storage price (other than time4vps) ?

Check out NexusBytes maybe?

Looks good but it's a weak offering, when it is placed between similarly priced BuyVM's dynamically attachable block storage system or ridiculously cheap and reliable time4vps ovz6.

I just need a big storage with very basic processing power.

Or here, take your pick :smiley:

https://www.serverhunter.com/?search=NBN-R0C-IEW

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

@miau said: I just need a big storage with very basic processing power.

How much storage do you need?

• @LeonDynamic said:
    It’s really interesting that despite apparently being voted the best provider or whatever on LET that Racknerd isn’t being mentioned more as a recommended provider 🤣

That’s because many of the RackNerd drones don’t participate in any activity that doesn’t result in double bandwidth.

• AlphaVPS, BuyVM.
    Just my two cents.

• @LeonDynamic said:
    It’s really interesting that despite apparently being voted the best provider or whatever on LET that Racknerd isn’t being mentioned more as a recommended provider 🤣

It's because some of us can still smell shit on his breath when he speaks :D

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • What's so great about racknerd anyway? I have never used them but at least their pricing doesn't look that good.

• xetsysxetsys Member
    edited December 2021

Inception Hosting for network.
    Hosthatch for storage.
    Webhosting24 for value.
    Netcup for power in budget.
    Phpfriends for power in budget.
    Hetzner for dedis. Fucking insane value and brutally professional support.

• Just because I can't really give feedback on any other providers, as I've only had them since BF this year! (Which is a shame, as they seem to be excellent so far in terms of responsiveness to initial setup tickets)

But, would definitely recommend Kimsufi for long term cheap and reliable. They're probably a bit boring, and at the cheap end the specs are low, but I've had my KS-1 server for over 8 years, never noticed any network down-time, and it's never lost power once. I even forgot about updating the distro for a while, and when I finally remembered to do it because that version of Debian reached the end of LTS, I discovered the uptime was well over 1000 days.

• @asd said:
    What's so great about racknerd anyway? I have never used them but at least their pricing doesn't look that good.

I picked up some machines in their 11/11 deals and the pricing seemed good to me.

$12 per year for 1 core, otherwise decent spec, seemed on a par, if not slightly better, with most of the other BF deals.
    $18 per year for 2 cores seemed even better, I think this is better than almost all the other BF deals.

I'm slightly narked that the machine I got in the Chicago DC is in UCEPROTECT3 spam list for the entire /23 and they don't want to do anything about it, presumably because they get a lot more money from spammers than they stand to lose from people who complain about spam moving to other providers, but otherwise their services seem pretty good. No issues at all with the LA DC.

However, since the BF deals, I think I have much better machines elsewhere, especially @Mr_Tom 's machine with the insanely fast network connection, so I'll just let my Racknerds lapse at the end of the year and move those instances to another provider.

Thanked by 1Mr_Tom
  • dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@ralf said:

@asd said:
    What's so great about racknerd anyway? I have never used them but at least their pricing doesn't look that good.

I picked up some machines in their 11/11 deals and the pricing seemed good to me.

$12 per year for 1 core, otherwise decent spec, seemed on a par, if not slightly better, with most of the other BF deals.
    $18 per year for 2 cores seemed even better, I think this is better than almost all the other BF deals.

I'm slightly narked that the machine I got in the Chicago DC is in UCEPROTECT3 spam list for the entire /23 and they don't want to do anything about it, presumably because they get a lot more money from spammers than they stand to lose from people who complain about spam moving to other providers, but otherwise their services seem pretty good. No issues at all with the LA DC.

However, since the BF deals, I think I have much better machines elsewhere, especially @Mr_Tom 's machine with the insanely fast network connection, so I'll just let my Racknerds lapse at the end of the year and move those instances to another provider.

Hi @ralf -- We sincerely appreciate your business and are happy to see that you've been enjoying our services. I'm confident you'll continue to enjoy the level of service we provide, if for any reason this changes be sure to reach out [email protected] -- I'd be happy to help.

In regards to UCEPROTECT -- this is a good read: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/170755/uceprotect-fake-reports/p1

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

@ralf said: especially @Mr_Tom 's machine

Thanks, glad you're happy!

• @ralf said:
    But, would definitely recommend Kimsufi for long term cheap and reliable. They're probably a bit boring, and at the cheap end the specs are low, but I've had my KS-1 server for over 8 years, never noticed any network down-time, and it's never lost power once. I even forgot about updating the distro for a while, and when I finally remembered to do it because that version of Debian reached the end of LTS, I discovered the uptime was well over 1000 days.

I hate to throw cold water on Kimsufi/OVH, but in case you weren't aware they had a terribly unfortunate event not so long ago. Maybe it doesn't hurt their business in the low-end or non-critical, high-volume world so much, but I wouldn't be surprised if this made it challenging to win some business when your competitors are highlighting data center designs and fire suppression capabilities in major sales deals and RFPs.

• pkrpkr Member
    edited December 2021

@ralf said:

I also got RackNerd VPS in Chicago DC. My IP was blacklisted by BARRACUDA,
    FABELSOURCES, SORBS DUHL, and UCEPROTECTL3.
    I submitted a request to BARRACUDA, and FABELSOURCES for the removal and they removed my IP from their blacklist. However, SORBS DUHL, and UCEPROTECTL3 want money. RackNerd's support told me that my IP would be clean in a few days. Let's see what happens.
    As many have mentioned that UCEPROTECTL3 is used by Microsoft, I am not sure if Bing will penalize my website. I already saw a big drop in traffic from Bing. I will wait for a few days before moving my website from RackNerd VPS to other.

• ralfralf Member
    edited December 2021

@pkr said:
    I submitted a request to BARRACUDA, and FABELSOURCES for the removal and they removed my IP from their blacklist. However, SORBS DUHL, and UCEPROTECTL3 want money.

FABELSOURCES just whitelisted my IP myself, it was super easy.

SORBS made me fill in a form asking for lots of justification and then just said that I needed to ask the ISP. I did that, RackNerd support promised to action it and didn't. I tried again on my own a week after RN closed my ticket without resolution, and the SORBS bot just whitelisted my single IP. So, despite their original message, you can do it yourself.

Only UCEPROTECTL3 is still active. I'll concede that it does seem a bit scammy, in that they readily say it's not your IP, but instead a very huge range, and then want money to take you off the list. But, and this is the point, not a single one of my other VPS machines has this issue, so I'm inclined to believe them that the colocrossing ASN is in fact a source of a lot of spam.

As many have mentioned that UCEPROTECTL3 is used by Microsoft, I am not sure if Bing will penalize my website. I already saw a big drop in traffic from Bing. I will wait for a few days before moving my website from RackNerd VPS to other.

I will continue to plan to use it for web stuff (I haven't actually deployed anything yet), but I guess I will have to forward on all the email to another machine for outgoing delivery.

RackNerd's support told me that my IP would be clean in a few days. Let's see what happens.

They told me that too. Absolutely nothing happened, and then when I asked again, I got told a whole load of stuff about how evil UCEPROTECT is. So, I wouldn't hold your breath too much!

• @jtk said:
    I hate to throw cold water on Kimsufi/OVH, but in case you weren't aware they had a terribly unfortunate event not so long ago.

Yeah, it'd be hard to miss that event! I'm sure there's a huge amount of stuff they did wrong in the lead up to that, and hopefully they've taken steps to prevent it happening in the future. OTOH, that was just one (well I guess more depending how you count it) DC out of many of theirs, and it doesn't detract from the comment that the machines do seem to just keep going, and they don't meddle with them once they're set up and working, unless you have a hardware failure.

Also, I appreciate that a lot of people lost their backups as well as their servers in this event. I guess that's just another reminder to back-up everything on another server somewhere else, just in case.

• I can't believe people run email from shared hosting from a non-mail specific service without at the very least paying for a dedicated IP. You should expect this shit to happen regularly.

• @ralf said:
    But, and this is the point, not a single one of my other VPS machines has this issue, so I'm inclined to believe them that the colocrossing ASN is in fact a source of a lot of spam.

Correct, ColoCrossing is primarily known as a spam host, while also being known as a host that still has zero ipv6 support in 2021. Most of their ranges are absolutely trashed, I wouldn't host anything too important on them due to that. However, they're fantastic for project boxes due to cheap ipv4!

Thanked by 1KermEd
  • @LiliLabs said:

@ralf said:
    But, and this is the point, not a single one of my other VPS machines has this issue, so I'm inclined to believe them that the colocrossing ASN is in fact a source of a lot of spam.

Correct, ColoCrossing is primarily known as a spam host, while also being known as a host that still has zero ipv6 support in 2021. Most of their ranges are absolutely trashed, I wouldn't host anything too important on them due to that. However, they're fantastic for project boxes due to cheap ipv4!

Spam? Nooo
    https://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/listings/colocrossing.com

• I'd recommend Vultr.com. The best.

Thanked by 2stoned tux
  • stonedstoned Member
    edited December 2021

@Greyhound said:
    I'd recommend Vultr.com. The best.

Been my primary provider for all production stuff for 2+ years, excellent service, excellent support, excellent panel, free ASN for BGP/ Private IP space, rDNS, /64, very cheap snapshot storage (was free for years), and also considered Low End as $6/vps (1vCPU only, 1GB, 32SSD, 1TB BW). I don't really like paying $7/mo (VPS + Snapshot space) ($84/yr) for 1GB VPS. But that's where my primary MX runs and I got a 2+ year email rep built up.

Plus, I don't know the reliability of LET providers. Smaller companies could face a number of factors and go under or disappear and there goes the neighbourhood. Let's see which ones are years old and reliable and go with one of those for a cheap production backup.

Thanked by 1tux