Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

~IPv6~ Only CHEAPEST Possible VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

~IPv6~ Only CHEAPEST Possible VPS

stonedstoned Member
edited December 2021 in General

Hello fellow stoned people and not so stoned people! Curious to know if anyone offers IPv6 only VPS, and how cheap they can possibly go? Take out the cost of an IPv4.

:) RAM: 512M-1G (possibly more)
B) CPU: 1 vCPU
:o Bandwidth: Reasonable speed, unmetered.
:p Disk: min 10G (possibly more)
o:) IP: (with or without v4 NAT) IPv6 required, /64 routed + PTR/rDNS management without having to go through support tickets?

Thank you!
Sincerely,

The stoned Guy

Thanked by 1xms

Comments

• Oh noes, he is back. I guess this time he gonna complain that there is no IPv4 :D

Thanked by 2bsh TimboJones
  • hes gonna smoke on a large organic bong and then start bitching about the basement

• @JabJab said:
    Oh noes, he is back. I guess this time he gonna complain that there is no IPv4 :D

Tell us how you really feel.

• @cybertech said:
    hes gonna smoke on a large organic bong and then start bitching about the basement

You need a hug.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Didn't we just had BF? oh boy

• @Neoon said:

Didn't really see any IPv6 only offers. Curious to know if that's a thing.

Thanked by 1xms
  • Scaleway stardust with no IPv4 is pretty cheap and decent quality (EPYC core, serious company).

Thanked by 2stoned xms

@stoned said:

@Neoon said:

Buy VPS and disable IPv4?
    Why even IPv6 only?

• @stoned said: Didn't really see any IPv6 only offers. Curious to know if that's a thing.

Yeh, there were a few. Do you need a specific location?

Thanked by 1stoned
  • @pbx said:
    Scaleway stardust with no IPv4 is pretty cheap and decent quality (EPYC core, serious company).

Does the cost of hosting go down if ipv4 isn't in the picture as it saves on that cost?

How much do ipv4 cost anyway? Racknerd is giving an ipv4 on their cheapest instance, 8 bucks a year or something, so it can't be that expensive, so the difference couldn't be that much between an ipv4 assignment and only ipv6 (no ipv4 at all)?

• @Nekki said:

@stoned said: Didn't really see any IPv6 only offers. Curious to know if that's a thing.

Yeh, there were a few. Do you need a specific location?

I'll take another closer look, thanks. Anywhere on the North American continent should be fine.

• @Neoon said:

@stoned said:

@Neoon said:

Buy VPS and disable IPv4?
    Why even IPv6 only?

Just curious to know. Why does IPv6 face so much resistance from the masses? Why are people clinging to a rope on a sinking ship? I say IPv4 should be secondary and IPv6 should be primary. I prefer 6 over 4 for personal reasons for certain services.

Thanked by 2yoursunny nick_
  • @stoned said:

@cybertech said:
    hes gonna smoke on a large organic bong and then start bitching about the basement

You need a hug.

u need a life. try to break ur virgin if possible. winter is coming.

Thanked by 2Neoon TimboJones
  • pbxpbx Member
    edited December 2021

@stoned said: Does the cost of hosting go down if ipv4 isn't in the picture as it saves on that cost?

Of course. Check out the pricing at scaleway with and with no IPv4.

RackNerd is not a good example. They host off Colocrossing. The pricing they sell at doesn't reflect "how much things cost". CC has tons of IPs. But fuck purple dadys, we don't need to waste our time speaking about CC once again.

IPv4s currently cost a bit more than 0.5$/m. If you had to rent a /24.

If hosts have their own ranges (big ones do), and idling hardware, having deals at a low price might be interesting for them. If they rent IPs it can also be a way to keep the IPs for future use. It can also be a way to justify the hoarding of more IPs from RIPE/ARIN. Many good reasons to "lease" an IPv4 for a fair price to a customer with a small idling VM (or with a super cheap yearly shared hosting plan, like has been done recently by a well known host here).

This worked in the close past, it works now for some providers, it probably won't work in a few years. Anyway IPv4 pricing has to be taken into account in the final price of the product in most cases: going IPv6-only will clearly make it possible for you to save a few bucks/y in most cases.

• @pbx said:

@stoned said: Does the cost of hosting go down if ipv4 isn't in the picture as it saves on that cost?

Of course. Check out the pricing at scaleway with and with no IPv4.

RackNerd is not a good example. They host off Colocrossing. The pricing they sell at doesn't reflect "how much things cost". CC has tons of IPs. But fuck purple dadys, we don't need to waste our time speaking about CC once again.

IPv4s currently cost a bit more than 0.5$/m. If you had to rent a /24.

If hosts have their own ranges (big ones do), and idling hardware, having deals at a low price might be interesting for them. If they rent IPs it can also be a way to keep the IPs for future use. It can also be a way to justify the hoarding of more IPs from RIPE/ARIN. Many good reasons to "lease" an IPv4 for a fair price to a customer with a small idling VM (or with a super cheap yearly shared hosting plan, like has been done recently by a well known host here).

This worked in the close past, it works now for some providers, it probably won't work in a few years. Anyway IPv4 pricing has to be taken into account in the final price of the product in most cases: going IPv6-only will clearly make it possible for you to save a few bucks/y in most cases.

Thanks a lot, bruv. That sheds more light on the matter. Though 0.5/mo isn't a big cost at all. I mean the issue isn't even cost. I was just curious.

There was recently an article on krebs https://krebsonsecurity.com/2021/11/tech-ceo-pleads-to-wire-fraud-in-ip-address-scheme/ where they said price of each IP was going for $25. I'm still learning about all this stuff. New to it. Thanks for a great explanation, bruv. Cheers.

• @pbx said:
    Scaleway stardust with no IPv4 is pretty cheap and decent quality (EPYC core, serious company).

Right. It's serious recommendation too.

Thanked by 1stoned
  • @bsh said:

@pbx said:

Right. It's serious recommendation too.

I'm liking what I see so far!

• @stoned said:
    Hello fellow stoned people and not so stoned people! Curious to know if anyone offers IPv6 only VPS, and how cheap they can possibly go? Take out the cost of an IPv4.

:) RAM: 512M-1G (possibly more)
    B) CPU: 1 vCPU
    :o Bandwidth: Reasonable speed, unmetered.
    :p Disk: min 10G (possibly more)
    o:) IP: (with or without v4 NAT) IPv6 required, /64 routed + PTR/rDNS management without having to go through support tickets?

Thank you!
    Sincerely,

The stoned Guy

For the cheapest IPv6 VPS just click the link on my signature!

• @stoned said: There was recently an article on krebs https://krebsonsecurity.com/2021/11/tech-ceo-pleads-to-wire-fraud-in-ip-address-scheme/ where they said price of each IP was going for $25.

I’m pretty sure that’s the one-time cost for sales, not a monthly rental. Sales prices appear to be around $50 though at the moment.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • @stoned Check "Scaleway Stardust"
    https://www.scaleway.com/en/stardust-instances/
    The price will be lower if you don't add ipv4 address.

Thanked by 1stoned
  • They don't meet the requirements though, and wouldn't for another 5 months or so. So any hooking up would have to be based solely on goodwill and not the nanokvm thread

Thanked by 1stoned
  • @Erisa said:

They don't meet the requirements though, and wouldn't for another 5 months or so. So any hooking up would have to be based solely on goodwill and not the nanokvm thread

It’s the season of giving.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • For real though, last time I checked a stardust without ipv4 came out around 0.36 euros which is roughly 4.30/yr (may not be totally accurate, going off memory)

Which considering you get a fairly average Epyc core, 1GB ram and averaged 100Mbps network that can burst to Gigabit if required, is pretty good. Especially from a big, trusted provider.

If you don't care about IPv4 or the 10gb disk, this would be a superb cheap choice.
    They are usually out of stock in Paris but their Netherlands location typically has some.

Thanked by 3stoned xms Ouji
  • Euroserv ??

@Erisa said:

They don't meet the requirements though, and wouldn't for another 5 months or so. So any hooking up would have to be based solely on goodwill and not the nanokvm thread

No, no fucking way.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • I would much rather be a paid customer and not use any free alternatives for various reasons.

• From the perspective of cost, it may a bit surprising that there aren't more IPv6-only offers, but from the perspective of usability, it's not so surprising, given that few people want to rely on an IPv6-only connection.

Also, as others have pointed out, the cost factor isn't always decisive, because if a provider owns their IPv4 addresses, then the provider doesn't incur the cost of renting them and therefore doesn't need to pass this cost on to the customer.

Thanked by 1Ouji
  • Servarica and Webhorizon has some IPv6 only offers I believe. MrVM sells his "NAT VPS" which has a few IPv4 ports but full IPv6 connectivity. I'm sure there are others.

As already mentioned, Scaleways Stardust without an IPv4 is ridiculously cheap, sometimes I even wonder why they bother to charge for it.
    Here is my latest invoice from running a IPv6-only Stardust for a while, didn't even manage to get out of the decimals this time.

Thanked by 1xms
  • @rcy026 said:
    Servarica and Webhorizon has some IPv6 only offers I believe. MrVM sells his "NAT VPS" which has a few IPv4 ports but full IPv6 connectivity. I'm sure there are others.

As already mentioned, Scaleways Stardust without an IPv4 is ridiculously cheap, sometimes I even wonder why they bother to charge for it.
    Here is my latest invoice from running a IPv6-only Stardust for a while, didn't even manage to get out of the decimals this time.

I've signed up with them and tried to create an instance but it seems they are currently out of Stardust. I'll keep a lookout! Thanks!