Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


which Antivirus/Malware software you guys currently using on PC/Laptop.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

which Antivirus/Malware software you guys currently using on PC/Laptop.

Now a days every system needs protection with Antivirus/Malwares

so what is your current Antivirus/Malware software you have it installed in your PC/Laptop?

Thanks would love to see what is currently used on most systems.

if the poll list has your security suite missing please leave a comment.

Antvirus/Malware currently insytalled on your PC/Laptop
  1. Choose which one that are currently installed and select it39 votes
    1. Norton 360
      23.08%
    2. Bitdefernder 2021
      46.15%
    3. TotalAV
        0.00%
    4. Mcafee
      10.26%
    5. Avira
      20.51%
«134

Comments

  • None

    Just using windows defender , it is great

  • Bit defender 1 year trial from PCMag.

    Thanked by 1amsaal
  • None. I use common sense before i hit links and bullshit, open emails from rich uncles and stuff like that. Never had a issue past 15 years. Paid antivirus is a scam.

  • @amsaal said:
    Now a days every system needs protection with Antivirus/Malwares

    so what is your current Antivirus/Malware software you have it installed in your PC/Laptop?

    Thanks would love to see what is currently used on most systems.

    if the poll list has your security suite missing please leave a comment.

    You should really have Windows Defender on the list considering it comes installed with every Windows 10/11 machine. Some people might not like it but it seems to do the job.

    Thanked by 1mrTom
  • @ollietrex said:

    @amsaal said:
    Now a days every system needs protection with Antivirus/Malwares

    so what is your current Antivirus/Malware software you have it installed in your PC/Laptop?

    Thanks would love to see what is currently used on most systems.

    if the poll list has your security suite missing please leave a comment.

    You should really have Windows Defender on the list considering it comes installed with every Windows 10/11 machine. Some people might not like it but it seems to do the job.

    that is just basic antirus/firewall only does not get frequent updates as often like other vendors do IMHO

  • Avast Free

  • @Fritz said:
    Bit defender 1 year trial from PCMag.

    good choice. They still have BF offers for 24 USD

  • @amsaal said:

    @ollietrex said:

    @amsaal said:
    Now a days every system needs protection with Antivirus/Malwares

    so what is your current Antivirus/Malware software you have it installed in your PC/Laptop?

    Thanks would love to see what is currently used on most systems.

    if the poll list has your security suite missing please leave a comment.

    You should really have Windows Defender on the list considering it comes installed with every Windows 10/11 machine. Some people might not like it but it seems to do the job.

    that is just basic antirus/firewall only does not get frequent updates as often like other vendors do IMHO

    I would add this into the Poll but it wont let me :P wish there was edit poll but i have to delete and add back.

  • @Pappeske said:
    None. I use common sense before i hit links and bullshit, open emails from rich uncles and stuff like that. Never had a issue past 15 years. Paid antivirus is a scam.

    what about USB entering into PC/latop ? some might have virus/malwares on it.

  • Windows defender

  • None

  • @amsaal said:

    @Pappeske said:
    None. I use common sense before i hit links and bullshit, open emails from rich uncles and stuff like that. Never had a issue past 15 years. Paid antivirus is a scam.

    what about USB entering into PC/latop ? some might have virus/malwares on it.

    Autorun is disabled these days; this isn't the days of Windows XP anymore.
    Likewise, Windows Defender is a very good antivirus these days, lightweight too.

  • Avast free

  • Windows Defender now.

    I was using Avast free but it was a lot of ads, so I went back to Windows Defender.

  • If using Windows, you're fine with Windows Defender. There is no need to have any additional "protection" if you exercise common sense. Use VirusTotal to scan exectuable files before opening them.

  • edoarudo5edoarudo5 Member
    edited November 2021

    I use my Common Sense™. Works all the time.

    Edited for typo.

    Thanked by 2afn that_guy
  • Wasn't Avast caught selling their free customers information?

  • windows defender preinstalled in windows
    nod32 internet security

  • Used to use Windows Defender. But then I've got rid off Defender and use Windows without any AV. Just the firewall is turned on.

    Majority of my stuff runs in VM's.

  • @Privacy said:
    If using Windows, you're fine with Windows Defender. There is no need to have any additional "protection" if you exercise common sense. Use VirusTotal to scan exectuable files before opening them.

    "using VirusTotal for antivirus testing is a bad idea"
    https://support.virustotal.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002094589-Why-do-not-you-include-statistics-comparing-antivirus-performance-

  • I don't use windows

    Thanked by 2Babynemo AlwaysSkint
  • @Pappeske said:
    None. I use common sense before i hit links and bullshit, open emails from rich uncles and stuff like that. Never had a issue past 15 years. Paid antivirus is a scam.

    This.
    I do use Windows Defender. andalso sandoxie

  • @Warkos said:
    I don't use windows

    linux? :)

  • @amsaal said:

    @Warkos said:
    I don't use windows

    linux? :)

    mac os, hackintosh :*

    Thanked by 1amsaal
  • @Warkos said:

    @amsaal said:

    @Warkos said:
    I don't use windows

    linux? :)

    mac os, hackintosh :*

    okay

    Thanked by 1Warkos
  • Eset NOD32

  • AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited November 2021

    Oh. Thread for me.

    First of all lets talk about Windows Defender.
    It has couple of strong points and couple of weak points

    Defender has most users meaning their cloud reputation system has the most samples to work on. Cloud reputation system works by checking how many people used this executable and if not many and its not sure if program is trustworthy it will block it. It looks like this https://www.windows11tips.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/image-25.png
    But... to have this system working Defender will send a lot of data from your PC to cloud, including path to files you execute, sometimes full files. If you respect your privacy you need to turn off Cloud-based Protection and then... This AV becomes works thing on the planet, which cant protect you from 4 years old malware. Same story if you have very limited connection or no internet at all.
    Second thing is that SmartScreen (reputation system) works only in Internet Explorer and Edge. In Chrome you need Microsoft's extention https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/microsoft-defender-browse/bkbeeeffjjeopflfhgeknacdieedcoml and in Firefox etc. youre out of luck. They dont make SmartScreen system-wide because they want to lock-in bigger companies in their ecosystem - there's bigger story about that, but that thread is not about it. Thats why Defender completely sucks with polymorphic samples / malware droppers/downloaders as it doesn't scan connections with anything other than IE/Edge.
    Third thing. Don't think that you can get malware/hacked only by clicking some random links like people in this thread. There's ton on Remode Code Execution exploit's in the wild which are not patched - for example in legit version of CoD:MW2. There was already couple of them (you can find them even on GitHub) and Activision didnt give a f about fixed them, but because of a lot of pressure Valve threathened them and they fixed problems. It was couple of years ago, new RCE's was found and Activision still doesn't care so their older CoD's can mess up your PC just by joining lobby, not even playing. How well Defender protects against that? Well... yea. It doesnt at all. And other solutions can catch such things. Biggest joke is that modders fixed all exploits in unofficial / pirate client for CoD's so they are safe to play and original game is not safe... Even in CS 1.6 there was couple of RCE's found couple of years ago, but Valve is great company in that regard - they fixed problem very fast and pushed update.

    Bottom line
    Defender is good for "average Joe" who just clicks on internet and Microsoft pushes you into their ecosystem - SmartScreen works only in IE/Edge, apps are secured/containerized only if they are installed via Microsoft Store etc. and other solutions try to protect more attack vectors. Also, other solutions can still work fine without cloud. Check this comparison for example
    https://www.av-comparatives.org/tests/malware-protection-test-september-2021/
    scroll down and check "OFFLINE Detection Rate" to verify my words - Microsoft Defender doesnt work great without cloud.

    What I'm recommending?
    For laptop use built-in Defender and use this app https://github.com/AndyFul/ConfigureDefender (ConfigureDefender.exe). Turn on ASR rules, PUA protection and increase Cloud Protection Level to High (dont choose High+, it slowns down PC a lot).

    I recommend also read this doc to understand more about ASR rules
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/security/defender-endpoint/attack-surface-reduction?view=o365-worldwide#attack-surface-reduction-rules

    You can add Comodo Firewall (just firewall, not Internet Security!!) to fix Defender flaws. Comodo product will scan all traffic from other apps and has option to automatically sandbox unknown executables. This combo is VERY solid, has great performance and costs nothing. You can also use cruelsister's settings to have it more like autopilot

    For PC or if you care more about your data then I'm recommending Kaspersky Free, especially if you're from EU/NA. Infrastructure for EU/NA users is in Switzerland and EU government institutions can check SOURCE CODE. For me its way more trustworthy than 100% closed-source app deeply integrated into OS (Defender) coming from country that... has NSA... https://www.kaspersky.com/transparency-center
    But I'm recommending it more from PC than laptop, because its not that great for battery life. Kaspersky protection itself is top-level, it has network protection, can revert even successful ransomware attacks via its Rollback module, protects from 0day exploits via System Watcher module and if you would get paid version then also you will get Application Control module which can be configured to make "tank-level" protection.

    I could write a lot more about this stuff, but IDK if somebody would want to read it.

    And for MacOS you have already-built in couple of "antivirus" solutions - Gatekeeper, Notarization, XProtect and something else I forgot. Adding additional AV can decrease security, as you need to turn off their Secure Boot thingy which accepts only Apple services on boot. But I would still use Firewall solution with default-deny and open connections only to apps that needs internet.

  • Kaspersky to keep the American Spy OS 10 in Check plus Chinese Router.
    Keeps the perfect ballance.

    Thanked by 3amsaal that_guy vovler
  • @AXYZE thanks for your advice.

  • NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Provider

    Malwarebytes

Sign In or Register to comment.