Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2021 Black Friday / Cyber Monday Official Megathread + Flash Deals ⚡ - Page 313
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

2021 Black Friday / Cyber Monday Official Megathread + Flash Deals ⚡

Comments

• @Murv I just tried Funimation and I got shocked. They speak English rather than Japanese......

• MurvMurv Member
    edited December 2021

@zxrlha said: @Murv I just tried Funimation and I got shocked. They speak English rather than Japanese......

Most anime in Funimation are dubbed (they are in English). But you should be able to change the language back to Japanese in some anime.

Thanked by 1zxrlha
  • @Murv said:

@zxrlha said: @Murv I just tried Funimation and I got shocked. They speak English rather than Japanese......

Most anime in Funimation are dubbed (they are in English). But you should be able to change the language back to Japanese in some anime.

Not some, I've have yet to find an anime that I wanted to watch on Funimation that had only dubs in English. You just need to change to Japanese.

Thanked by 1zxrlha
  • @Murv said:

I see. Thanks. Now I found the settings.

Thanked by 1Murv
  • @Ouji said: Not some, I've have yet to find an anime that I wanted to watch on Funimation that had only dubs in English. You just need to change to Japanese.

Hmm... Maybe things have changed, a few years ago due to some licensing issues with Crunchyroll they removed Japanese audio from some old anime. Guess that's no longer true today...

• @Ouji said:

@Murv said:

Not some, I've have yet to find an anime that I wanted to watch on Funimation that had only dubs in English. You just need to change to Japanese.

Thanks. I've found that.
    The English dubs are really bad.....

• @Murv said: Hmm... Maybe things have changed, a few years ago due to some licensing issues with Crunchyroll they removed Japanese audio from some old anime. Guess that's no longer true today...

I think it may depend on the country. I don't watch a lot of stuff there, but everything I tried had Japanese audio. Now that Sony acquired both, we will probably see both english and japanese audio more proeminent when they merge the platforms.

• @zxrlha said: The English dubs are really bad.....

Hell yeah! Real weebs only watch in Japanese, the language of Gods!

• @Ouji said: Sony acquired both, we will probably see both english and japanese audio more proeminent when they merge the platforms.

Yeah, that's prolly why there are no licensing issues anymore. It'd be great if Sony just merged them...

• @Hxxx said:
    @Nekki would you be interested in storage hosting, but instead of having a full VPS, you are granted access to DA account? Is VPS a must? asking for a friend. Feel free to be a savage in your response.

So I primarily need a dedi. That’s a must for workload.

Backup storage could, in theory, be anything so long as I could use it with Rclone.

Thanked by 2webcraft Hxxx
  • @Murv said:

@Ouji said: Sony acquired both, we will probably see both english and japanese audio more proeminent when they merge the platforms.

Yeah, that's prolly why there are no licensing issues anymore. It'd be great if Sony just merged them...

They mentioned during the acquisition that they intend to, but this might take a while.

• @Murv said:

@Ouji said: Sony acquired both, we will probably see both english and japanese audio more proeminent when they merge the platforms.

They’ve said they will, it’s only a matter of time and logistics and figuring out which brand has more value.

• @Murv said:

@zxrlha said: The English dubs are really bad.....

Hell yeah! Real weebs only watch in Japanese, the language of Gods!

And people in isekai also speak Japanese!

Thanked by 1Murv
  • @Nekki said: figuring out which brand has more value.

I'd put my money on it being Crunchyroll.

• @Murv said:

@Nekki said: figuring out which brand has more value.

I'd put my money on it being Crunchyroll.

I’m with you, my only slight reservation is in relation to the brand’s origins in piracy.

• @Murv said: I'd put my money on it being Crunchyroll.

Worldwide perhaps, on the US Funimation seems to be huge, specially because of the dub and homevideo market. They might scrap all of that and just create a new brand.

• @Nekki said: I’m with you, my only slight reservation is in relation to the brand’s origins in piracy.

Oh right, they did start out as some fansub sharing site...
    Sony's a quite stingy company IMO, I wouldn't be surprised if they went with Funimation in the end just because of that.

• @Ouji said: Worldwide perhaps, on the US Funimation seems to be huge, specially because of the dub and homevideo market. They might scrap all of that and just create a new brand.

I'm not really sure how popular dubs are compared to subs. I guess dubs would be quite popular in English speaking countries?
    A new brand could be another possibility...

• @Murv said:

@Nekki said: I’m with you, my only slight reservation is in relation to the brand’s origins in piracy.

Sony's a quite stingy company IMO, I wouldn't be surprised if they went with Funimation in the end just because of that.

Combine that with @Ouji’s point about the physical media element of the Funimation brand and I think I’ve talked myself into going with Funimation as the winner.

I think it’s too much to ask that they combine them into either ‘FuniRoll’ or ‘CrunchyMation’.

• Both Crunchyroll's and funimation's UI are quite bad........

• OujiOuji Member
    edited December 2021

@Murv said: I'm not really sure how popular dubs are compared to subs. I guess dubs would be quite popular in English speaking countries?
    A new brand could be another possibility...

I'm not on the US, but dubs seem huge there, Americans are not used to stuff not being in English, so they don't have a culture around subtitled media in general, while the rest of the non-English speaking world does. Also, homevideo is huge on the US, that's how Netflix started.

@Nekki said: Combine that with @Ouji’s point about the physical media element of the Funimation brand and I think I’ve talked myself into going with Funimation as the winner.

I think it’s too much to ask that they combine them into either ‘FuniRoll’ or ‘CrunchyMation’.

FuniRoll would be nice, actually.

• @Nekki said: I think I’ve talked myself into going with Funimation as the winner.

Same... Now I think they'll go with some new brand in the end.
    I'd miss Crunchyroll in that case. I like the name...

@Nekki said: ‘FuniRoll’ or ‘CrunchyMation’.

Those would be hilarious

• @Nekki said:

@Murv said:

@Nekki said: I’m with you, my only slight reservation is in relation to the brand’s origins in piracy.

Combine that with @Ouji’s point about the physical media element of the Funimation brand and I think I’ve talked myself into going with Funimation as the winner.

FuniRoll is a nice name.

• @zxrlha said:

@Nekki said:

@Murv said:

FuniRoll is a nice name.

Well, that’s what WE can call it regardless of what Sony do.

Thanked by 2Murv Ouji
  • @Nekki said: Well, that’s what WE can call it regardless of what Sony do.

Absolutely, as comrades in life and isekai we get to call it whatever we want!

• @zxrlha said: Both Crunchyroll's and funimation's UI are quite bad........

They are awful, but I personally prefer Crunchyroll's app over Funimation. Hope they at least keep Crunchyroll's layout...

• @Murv said:

@zxrlha said: Both Crunchyroll's and funimation's UI are quite bad........

They are awful, but I personally prefer Crunchyroll's app over Funimation. Hope they at least keep Crunchyroll's layout...

Crunchyroll always ask for 14-day trial. Funimation rolls back to English dubs every time.

• @Murv said: They are awful, but I personally prefer Crunchyroll's app over Funimation. Hope they at least keep Crunchyroll's layout...

They're all shocking. This is why I torrent anything I really like and stick it on Plex.

• @Murv said:

@zxrlha said: Both Crunchyroll's and funimation's UI are quite bad........

And it seems that both are quite incomplete?

• MurvMurv Member
    edited December 2021

@zxrlha said: Crunchyroll always ask for 14-day trial. Funimation rolls back to English dubs every time.

You can actually set the audio langauge preference in Funimation's app (Settings -> Audio Preference). It'd then use the same language for every anime
    Not much can be done about Crunchyroll begging you for sub thou...

This discussion has been closed.