Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS bandwidth unused. How to use? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS bandwidth unused. How to use?

13»

Comments

• postcdpostcd Member
    edited November 2021

greed may also be when someone ask how to use unused b@ndwidth of ones VPS and people start being unhappy that this person will be using their bandwidth which they will possibly need in the future. While the one who should control b@ndwidth usage should be the node owner.

• @postcd said: greed may also be when someone ask how to use unused b@ndwidth of ones VPS and people start being unhappy that this person will be using their bandwidth which they will possibly need in the future. While the one who should control bandwidth usage should be the node owner.

Yes, but how much shrimp is in your butt?

Thanked by 3lentro bulbasaur bdl
  • @postcd said:

@MeAtExampleDotCom said: using bandwidth for the sake of using bandwidth

i dislike when something is wasted and i am not aware i said i want to waste bandwidth, maybe i have used bad words, sorry

Many consider using something for the sake of using it to be wasteful. As I mentioned multiple times in bits you've not replied to, if you have a good use for it then you are not wasting it. Heck, I even suggested some potential uses (assuming those are not against your provider's policies).

@MeAtExampleDotCom said: industry currently charges for bandwidth and services with bandwidth bundled

i thought that provider rent 1gbit bandwidth and they paying same price no matter if it is used half or full. i was wrong maybe

They do pay for it even if it isn't used, but they provision based on users having bursty activity and many using relatively little. If it is relatively unused right now then you using extra for no reason isn't a problem, but maybe in the next few minutes a few other users couple see a glut of traffic and need the bandwidth and at that point you using it for no reason becomes an issue. The system can't tell which parts of your traffic are genuinely required and which is just for the hell of it, or for that matter the relative importance of other user's traffic, especially when most traffic is encrypted so can't be inspected (and usually shouldn't be inspected even if it isn't encrypted), so it just has to slow everything down as evenly as is practical. Nor can you detect when to back off the more frivolous use so you are not in the way (in theory something akin to ballooning methods used to manage memory overcommit in some VM solutions could be implemented, but that only really works in a fully cooperative environment (i.e. when one person/group controls all the VMs on a given host)).

@MeAtExampleDotCom said: Not if that is against the FUP/AUP/other

You do not need to comment everything.

I commented on everything I felt I had something valid to say about. It is amusing how often people go direct from using “just stating my opinion” as a defence in some posts, to criticising others for stating their thoughts/opinions (or, as in this case, raising questions to clarify points that are not covered be details provided thus far) in their replies.

The things i am doing are OK according to my provider policies.

C'est bien. Given all the provider policies I've read (and I am anal enough to have read a fair few) using bandwidth or other resource for the sake of it would not be OK, so whatever you do with the bandwidth you have available be comfortable that you have justification for it if the provider asks (and don't take offence if they do ask, they have no way of knowing without inspecting your VMs & traffic in a way most would consider inappropriately invasive - respond politely with “I'm doing X” or “I'm helping project Y” and a reasonable provider will be reasonable, take umbridge and they'll assume defensiveness means you are being deliberately evasive about your interaction with their FUP/AUP/other).

If you tell me that VPS providers have no good way to shape bandwidth to achieve FUP, then ok, but isnt their thing to either make such software or limit bandwidth to a VPS like mine would be?

Traffic shaping is a complex and very subjective topic in a shared environment, and it is not practical to implement a perfect solution that works generally both because of that innate subjectivity and because some will always try to game any system in their favour to others' detriment (or, in some cases, do so accidentally because they don't understand the side-effects of something they are doing).

@angstrom said: I find it astounding that someone who has been around here for as long as you have still gets the analogy wrong

english is not my primary language, long time i have been out of school @ maybe the topic is not my hobby

It is not a case of language issues, but being aware of money & mathematics¹ and resource management², and applying a little common sense. Your account has been here since 2013 so you should have at least a basic understanding of how things work, amongst other things with regard to hosts offering resources like bandwidth with over-selling, how that makes it cheaper, and how using resources for the sake of using them could make things more expensive for everyone, by now.

1: look up how much several gbit of transit and peering costs, then work out how much a provider paying for that to serve some machines full of VMs/containers would have to charge each customer if most of them used even close to their maximum bandwidth allotment

2: you should strive to never routinely run a network link³ close to capacity, or you have no headroom to deal with bursts of extra activity which are inherent in all networks (and more so in shared infrastructure).

3: or any other resource for that matter

• My lease gives me unlimited water usage. Should I open all the taps or does anyone have any good ideas on how I can use all the water thats rightfully mine.

Thanked by 1Logano
  • @CheepCluck said:
    My lease gives me unlimited water usage. Should I open all the taps or does anyone have any good ideas on how I can use all the water thats rightfully mine.

I think it's only fair that you setup Proxmox on your water tank and resell the water.

Thanked by 2AndrewL64 Logano
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited November 2021

Run a traffic forwarding client, like TOR, it works like magic and your traffic is gone.
    I used to push 0.3PB per month.

Thanked by 3postcd webcraft Logano
  • @postcd said:
    i dislike when something is wasted

how about your taxes and health insurance???

all this money goes for example to the army, police, hospitals, doctors, emergency rooms etc.

did you consume all these services completely? up to the limit? are you sure?

you know, 2021 is coming to the end, and it would be such a waste that you paid for it but not used

maybe you should start a war... to find some activity for army

did not have aby contacts with police in this year? be creative, call them, confess to something to let them earn for your taxes

(un)fortunately not filling sick this year? ups. break arm. or simulate something. maybe in your head. wait. not need to...

ps. remember to fill up all bought hard drives in computer/mobile/mailbox. asap. through the roof/last byte of declared capacity

• postcdpostcd Member
    edited November 2021

@MeAtExampleDotCom said: I even suggested some potential uses

Thanks, it is last paragraph here.

@MeAtExampleDotCom said: if the provider asks (and don't take offence if they do ask,

thanks

@MeAtExampleDotCom said: Your account has been here since 2013 so you should

Wrong, having account there for a along time does not mean spending long time studying the topic. Some people does not have time to study all the depths like technical details like being up to date regarding vps node bandwidth management.

@MeAtExampleDotCom said: you should strive to never routinely run a network link³ close to capacity, or you have no headroom to deal with bursts of extra activity

yes, i will not do it, i will put reasonable limit in place

@Andrews You have let your imagination go way too wild, uselessly. I am actually the person who is sparing (right english word?) not only to own things but to other people things. And regarding my bandwidth usage i would allow only bandwidth i think that is important, through link that is unused. And as i was told, i would not use significant portion of such unused link to allow burst traffic of others (you have changed my mind a bit - those who was not lazy/ignorant and explained to me).

• @postcd said:
    Wrong, having account there for a along time does not mean spending long time studying the topic.

Yet you felt you know how things work well enough to make authoritative looking statements like “If everyone contribute resources to P2P networks like that these can be much more useable” and “When something is running it should be used, not ordering dedicated resources and let it idle” when people suggest otherwise.

Thanked by 1Logano
  • Torrents or a botnet

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@MeAtExampleDotCom said:
    The system can't tell which parts of your traffic are genuinely required and which is just for the hell of it, or for that matter the relative importance of other user's traffic, especially when most traffic is encrypted so can't be inspected (and usually shouldn't be inspected even if it isn't encrypted)

You can help the network understand relative importance of your traffic by setting DiffServ bits.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differentiated_services

• @MeAtExampleDotCom said: Yet you felt you know how things work well enough to make authoritative looking statements

I am unsure why you are mentioning it. It is normal that people learn something (not everything) or just gets impression (of how something work and consider it likely to be that way or very similar) which they express then and possibly expect other people explain them wrong.

@yoursunny said: You can help the network

I have quickly displayed that article, but do not understand how it can be used in practice to dedicate more VPS traffic.

@mike1s said: Torrents

20GB space..., i was thinking about the tracker, but i see there is quite enough of these and running it just for limited time like maybe 1 year does not seem too good, possibly would need domain too for hostname.

• @stevewatson301 said:
    OP's post has the vibes of the "I paid for the whole speedometer, I'm gonna use the whole speedometer" meme.

Not a meme where I am from.

• just leave it there. I have idle vps with 40TB BW yet I only used 10MB every month.

Thanked by 2ralf Logano
  • @pike said: Not a meme where I am from.

Germany?

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

If your provider allows it, consider donating resources to I2P. We have a quick guide to installing an I2P+ Router here: https://incognet.io/i2p-routers

We sponsor the official I2P+ outproxy for clearnet browsing and a reseed server for the official I2P and I2P+ routers.

Thanked by 1postcd
  • Basically what people saying is, if you don't need it. Why bother finding a way to use it.

All unused bandwidth is given back to the hosting provider which in turn is given to another customer.

By not using it. You already make it useful. While yes it's your right to use it. You can always give it to others by not using it.

• I just do not believe that on servers like this one the traffic will be used by any of the VPS, and if yes, only for too short periods of time and for such short time they can live with lower bandwidth.

• @postcd said:
    for such short time they can live with lower bandwidth.

Try thinking about it in reverse. Would you be fine with slower speed and higher latency at times when your stuff needs network activity, because someone else was using bandwidth simply for the sake of using it? Or slower speed and higher latency most of the time because everyone on the host was doing that?

If you have genuine use for the bandwidth, which includes donating it to other projects if that can be done within your hosts AUP, no one¹ is going to begrudge you using it, but using it for the sake of using it because it is there is a bit inconsiderate.

[1] other than some bad hosts who have oversold too much, of course

Thanked by 2Logano CheepCluck