Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS bandwidth unused. How to use? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS bandwidth unused. How to use?

Comments

• You remind me of tourists when there is a free buffet breakfast and they load their plate with enough food for 4 or 5 people. The don't even eat everything, they just take it because they can.

Thanked by 3jar vedran vimalware
  • postcdpostcd Member
    edited November 2021

@deank said: no common sense
    @plastik You remind me of tourists

helpful information, good to know, it will certainly help other users who come here with same question as i had - ways to contribute unused b@ndwidth

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited November 2021

The answer to your question is everything is shared, in fact most ISP will write in their Terms of Service that internet is a best-effort service.

Basically, lets say the provider have 20TB of bandwidth that can be allocated, assigned from their upstream. However, the provider sell 40 VPS with 1TB bandwidth each because most people wont even reach half of it.

That said, if everyone use up the bandwidth just because they can (instead of they need), the provider will run out of bandwidth. The overprovision is more like a way the provider allow you to burst your bandwidth when needed.

While you might not be wrong for doing so because you can, but sometimes you have to think about others.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Don't bother, @Fatty_Acid32.

This is someone who walk into the space without a spacesuit simply because he doesn't know what the outcome might be despite people telling him so.

The end is nigh.

Thanked by 2bdl vimalware
  • afnafn Member
    edited November 2021

I think people gave enough reasons, some nicer than others, some trolled. But seriously If you still can't understand, then there is not much we can help with.

Providers offer the average. They offer you 15TB, so in case you do 5 this month, and 15 next one, it will be ok for both of you, cost on provider on average is ok, and your bill every month remains the same.

If every single user on the VPS blast 100% of their traffic, provider will simply reduce included amount in their offers and/or increase prices. This is why we can't have nice things.

I personally, prefer the option to have more traffic, to go a bit beyond my usual traffic **when needed ** without having to pay a huge per TB extra cost.

Also, the operations you will do will utilize other ressources of the node not only the network! mostly hard drive. When you utilize unnecessarily the drives, you make I/O speeds slower for others AND more importantly, drives has a finite life, the more intensive you use them, the faster they die. In other words, the more you consume, the faster the drive will fail, then you will come later crying "I DID NOT BACKUP MY DATA FUCK MY PROVIDER, a drive failed and I lost data on my VPS"

Again, I am not saying do not use your traffic, you have the right to, just don't think you should use it if you have too... I don't pay electricity neither, it does not mean I leave lights in unoccupied rooms always on!

We are worried, not because you are going to use traffic, but because of your way of thinking, the logic should not be "I have traffic, let's see how I can waste it on supporting something, let's find the something ".

It should be "I want to support X, Y projects, do I have ressources (bw, storage, etc) somewhere on my servers to support them"? (example, support linux projects by seeding distros, etc)

it will certainly help other users who come here with same question as i had - ways to contribute unused b@ndwidth

Shit, will there be more people who ask this question!! This is what we are afraid of... more people with the same logic shall not exist. Otherwise, as I mentioned above. Limits on VPSes will start to get reduced, etc... as @deank would say: The end is nigh...

• I guess what you have is virmach

• @postcd said:

@Nekki

If it was clear

yes your statement "This is why we can't have nice things" was not clear to me, obviously we have not common brain to know what each other thinking, though my comment is useless as you apparently are not polite enough and willing to help by explaining.

I wanted to remind that only answer to question in OP in this long thread was provided in this post

This is worse than I though, no wonder the lesson escapes you.

First, you must look inside yourself and answer the question - what is an ‘LET’?

• @Nekki said: you must look inside yourself

Your puzzling suggestions does not help, be more straightforward in teaching me where i am wrong.

@afn said: If every single user on the VPS blast 100% of their traffic, provider will simply reduce included amount in their offers and/or increase prices. This is why we can't have nice things.

Thanks for your explanation. Yes, so he reduce it and increase price or limit my VPS at times other VPS needs more. I do not plan to use bandwidth for useless things. When something is running it should be used, not ordering dedicated resources and let it idle.

@afn said: When you utilize unnecessarily the drives

yes, i am aware about SSD wear and considering it. This is NVMe VPS btw...

@afn said: logic should not be "I have traffic, let's see how I can waste it on supporting something, let's find the something ".

wrong. supporting something does not need to be waste ! waste is when you rent bandwidth and not use it to support something useful.

@afn said: This is what we are afraid of... more people with the same logic shall not exist. Otherwise, as I mentioned above. Limits on VPSes will start to get reduced, etc.

i hope there will be more people who will be willing to contribute their low used VPS for something useful. But people there are too afraid about their pockets or have no clue to suggest some projects to support.

• afnafn Member
    edited November 2021

@postcd said: wrong. supporting something does not need to be waste ! waste is when you rent bandwidth and not use it to support something useful.

do you even read (and properly understand)? When did I say supporting something is a waste? I clearly said, if you have something you believe is nice and worth supporting, then go ahead.

@afn said: It should be "I want to support X, Y projects, do I have ressources (bw, storage, etc) somewhere on my servers to support them"? (example, support linux projects by seeding distros, etc)

Also you seem to have a hard time understanding that you did not "rent" the bandwidth, your rent a "capacity of transfer". The way you phrase it makes it same like "bandwidth" is physical ressource that is made and reserved for you, but it is not. It is NOT like food, once made, you have to eat it, or find someone to eat it otherwise it goes to waste.

Analogy: Imagine you have a house, where the owner tells you I can build more floors if you need (for free). So you just keep telling him "build more", then say "hey, are there any homeless people that need shelter?". While the right way to do it should be "hey, I found a homeless person, so let's add one more floor for that person".

That is what I am saying. Find you goal first, then see how (and if ) you can support it.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@postcd said: lack of answer to initial OP question and being on topic.

The answer is perfectly on topic.

Let me summarize for you:

(1) You're talking about how to be a dick

(2) Don't be a dick

The reason bandwidth is cheap is that not everyone goes out of his way to desperately try to use every last Mbit/sec per month. If everyone did that, bandwidth would be expensive. You are trying to make bandwidth expensive. Don't do that.

The analogy about water is spot on. Do you leave all the taps in your apartment flowing 24x7 just because you can? Why not? Because you know that's being a dick.

tl;dr: Don't be a dick. That's as on-topic as I can be.

Or run tor relays.

Thanked by 2bdl vedran
  • @postcd said:
    VPS can transfer alot of data, yet my usage is very low thanks to I2P, yggdrazil, tor relay, zeronet does not seem to utilize enough transfer.
    Any ideas how to long term utilize bandwidth on 15GB disk VPS with free RAM under 400MB and low free CPU?

Not that would not likely breach your provider's FUP or AUP. If you have no use for it, no need to use it. I'm not using every bit of oxygen in this room right now either! Note that bandwidth is usually a significantly over-sold resource in which case using it unnecessarily makes you a “noisy neighbour” to others on the same network.

If it really bothers you that you are not using the entire resource, could you get a cheaper service with less?

If you had more space you could offer to be a mirror for a project you'd like to support, to help with their bandwidth costs (cygwin, for instance, but you don't have enough for that). Similarly you could seed torrents for a project you want to support (your favourite Linux distro for instance, though again you probably have too little space for that) but be careful there is likely to be a no P2P¹ clause in your providers AUP.

1: or at least no public P2P - such protocols between your own resources for backup purposes may be OK

Thanked by 1postcd
  • @afn said: do you even read (and properly understand)?

Sorry if i misunderstood You.

have a hard time understanding that you did not "rent" the bandwidth

yes, i think that i should use all the bandwidth i can and software should make sure my usage does not prevent demand of other VPSs and if there is such demand, all VPSs should have equal bandwidth

Analogy

Yes, i think i did it that way, i wanted to support the software mentioned in initial post so i have got a VPS, yet that software utilize less bandwidth than i was thinking and apparently server bandwidth posiblity is high (200MB/s +) so i was thinking why to utilize only 1MB/s. Why not to ask on LET if they know any useful software or other need of bandwidth.

@raindog308 said: Let me summarize for you:

I do not waste bandwidth. Providers should make sure they have good FUP so there is reasonable bandwidth for everyone. And they are doing it. As i have mentioned in previous comment. Server with unused uplink is wasted in my opinion (not saying it is right). It can be used to support speed of mentioned P2P networks or other.

• @postcd said: Your puzzling suggestions does not help, be more straightforward in teaching me where i am wrong.

Sorry padawan, if you can't see what just beneath the surface you cannot be my pupil.

Good day to you, shithouse.

@postcd said: I do not waste bandwidth.

Yes you do.

@postcd said: Providers should make sure they have good FUP so there is reasonable bandwidth for everyone.

Not how the world works + you know that = you being a dick.

Thanked by 2Logano lentro
  • postcdpostcd Member
    edited November 2021

@raindog308 said:
    Yes you do.
    you know that

I do not know modern node software, but you know better my brain then myself.

Your dick post, your opinion.

@postcd said: you know better my brain then myself.

Well said. I agree.

Thanked by 1Logano
  • @postcd said:
    I do not waste bandwidth

Not yet. Though you appear to be explicitly asking how you might do so, with the intention of doing so. Your original request could have been more genuine than that, but your refusal to accept your attitude is even a little bit off suggests you believe you can demand that the world works the way you want it to and nothing we say will convince you that it can not practically do so without you and everyone else paying more than we do for servers/VPSs/hosting.

Providers should make sure they have good FUP

They almost certainly do, and it probably excludes using bandwidth for the sake of using bandwidth. Even if it is little more than vague phrases like “fair use”, even that excludes using bandwidth for the sake of using bandwidth. Have you checked all the T&Cs from your provider?

so there is reasonable bandwidth for everyone.

Again, such policies exist. You need to do some research on how bandwidth selling/over-selling works. If the provider guarantees every bit of bandwidth offered to every single account at all times they would have to charge a lot more to every account and customers would not want to pay that. Traffic shaping may be in place to try give fair transit to each node if they all try to use their allocation at the same time, but that is not perfect and anyway is only designed for burst use not all accounts constantly trying to use their full allocation.

Server with unused uplink is wasted in my opinion (not saying it is right).

We are saying that opinion it is not right, at least not the way the industry currently charges for bandwidth and services with bandwidth bundled, unless you have a genuine use for the bandwidth in which case all is fine.

It can be used to support speed of mentioned P2P networks or other.

Not if that is against the FUP/AUP/other of the provider, which you will have agreed to when signing up.

I do not know modern node software

Yet you feel that your opinion of how it should work is correct and without reproach, and seem to take offence at being told otherwise.

Your dick post, your opinion.

You might want to assess which opinion, wrt who is being the dick, is most held and supported here…

Thanked by 1postcd
  • Create sock5 proxy and publish login details to LET and hostloc. Done. You will be done. And your unused vps bw.

Thanked by 2postcd yoursunny
  • @postcd said:
    VPS can transfer alot of data, yet my usage is very low thanks to I2P, yggdrazil, tor relay, zeronet does not seem to utilize enough transfer.

Any ideas how to long term utilize bandwidth on 15GB disk VPS with free RAM under 400MB and low free CPU?

More traffic technically causes more pollution. So don't bother using it, waste of electricity.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@FAT32 said:
    The answer to your question is everything is shared, in fact most ISP will write in their Terms of Service that internet is a best-effort service.

Basically, lets say the provider have 20TB of bandwidth that can be allocated, assigned from their upstream. However, the provider sell 40 VPS with 1TB bandwidth each because most people wont even reach half of it.

That said, if everyone use up the bandwidth just because they can (instead of they need), the provider will run out of bandwidth. The overprovision is more like a way the provider allow you to burst your bandwidth when needed.

While you might not be wrong for doing so because you can, but sometimes you have to think about others.

There's a bit of an extension to this that's worth mentioning outright. The over provisioning is directly responsible for affordable pricing. If you can accomplish everything you need with less than 100% resource usage at all hours, that's part of how you're saving money. A shift in the safety of that bet increases cost for everyone. So it's nice to be able to buy more than you need so you can sometimes exceed your average, instead of buying exactly what you need and having a ceiling for any unexpected spike.

Thanked by 1FAT32
  • postcdpostcd Member
    edited November 2021

@MeAtExampleDotCom said: using bandwidth for the sake of using bandwidth

i dislike when something is wasted and i am not aware i said i want to waste bandwidth, maybe i have used bad words, sorry

@MeAtExampleDotCom said: industry currently charges for bandwidth and services with bandwidth bundled

i thought that provider rent 1gbit bandwidth and they paying same price no matter if it is used half or full. i was wrong maybe

@MeAtExampleDotCom said: Not if that is against the FUP/AUP/other

You do not need to comment everything. The things i am doing are OK according to my provider policies.

@MeAtExampleDotCom said: you feel that your opinion of how it should work is correct and without reproach, and seem to take offence at being told otherwise.

I am sorry if it feel like that. I do not meant that. Maybe it is due to most of users not being easy that i want to make bandwidth more expensive (by putting it into use on my VPS) so i am more sharp since this topic is wasting so much time of the readers instead they stop judging single stupid user choice of amount of bandwidth they use on small low end VPS), but i still think i am polite and i hear arguments and have my opinion. If you tell me that VPS providers have no good way to shape bandwidth to achieve FUP, then ok, but isnt their thing to either make such software or limit bandwidth to a VPS like mine would be?

@LTniger i think that LET members would show themself as the bandwidth wasters, no?

Too offtopic it went, there was so far only like 2 suggestions that answered initial question:

• Run SSH TCP relay (was not explained in detail how can be used/abused and if secure)
    • Run socks5 proxy (for anyone to abuse it)
  • angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited November 2021

@postcd said:
    Too offtopic it went, there was so far only like 2 suggestions that answered initial question:

• Run SSH TCP relay (was not explained in detail how can be used/abused and if secure)

But you understand that those weren't serious recommendations, right?

Those recommendations were the equivalent of irony or sarcasm.

• @postcd said:

Again, you could run a Tor node.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

From now on, consider "sharing" your bandwidth with every person that posts/asks for double bandwidth or anything along those lines, anywhere on this forum.

How do you achieve that? You decide :smiley:

• @postcd said:

@MeAtExampleDotCom said: using bandwidth for the sake of using bandwidth

i dislike when something is wasted and i am not aware i said i want to waste bandwidth, maybe i have used bad words, sorry

I find it astounding that someone who has been around here for as long as you have still gets the analogy wrong:

• Wasting (= throwing away) good food or clean water when there are people hungry or thirsty is indeed problematic
    • In contrast, not using all of one's allotted bandwidth is perfectly fine and even recommended in order to help keep server prices low

"Not using all of one's allotted bandwidth" is not equivalent to "wasting bandwidth". On the contrary, in general, it's a good thing not to use all of one's allotted bandwidth.

• @Shakib said: If everyone started thinking like that, we are gonna have a very slow expensive internet.

Thanked by 3Shakib postcd bulbasaur
  • @postcd said:

I don't think you're a dick, to be honest. I think you simply have, hmmm.. I don't know how to say it in English, but beggar-like tendencies? If you're on a VPS, you're automatically using shared, oversold resources based on an average active use, with some extra capacity for people that need more resources for short bursts at a time. It's called being efficient with resource sharing. That's how it only costs $2/mo. If you want to hog everything that you are allowed to hog, that's exactly what a dedicated server is for, and you won't be paying $2/mo. for it. Ironic, but that is how these things work.

What is not exactly the same but gets the point across, is @plastik's example of a buffet. You pay $50 and are entitled to ALL THE FOOD in the freaking place, but you don't take ALL THE FOOD in the freaking place to your table because you don't need to take ALL THE FOOD in the freaking place, and you paid $50, not $5,000. As long as people only take what they need, everyone can keep paying $50 to eat out a few times a month instead of paying $5,000 once every 20 years. Again, it's called efficient use of shared, limited resources so that lots of people can benefit for cheap. If you ACTUALLY want everything in a buffet, don't go there. The proper thing to do would be to rent out an entire restaurant for $5,000. A $50 buffet is NOT the place to do that, just as a $2 VPS is NOT the place where you want to take everything that is allowed. Ironic, yes, but that is how these things work.

If your VPS provider was not over-provisioning his limited resources for $2 the way buffets "over-offer" their food for $50, you would have been given 128MB RAM, 1GB of disk space, and 10GB of bandwidth for your $2 instead of 1GB/10GB/1TB.

Thanked by 3lentro bulbasaur ralf
  • OP is like "stomach very full. how to stuff buffet shrimp in other end? "

Thanked by 3Logano lentro bulbasaur
  • postcdpostcd Member
    edited November 2021

Another offtopic post that does not say anything useful (yet this thread is full of post that does not answer the question of the first post) - i think that wasting disk space of this server is OK per what i see:

@b0lt said: you could run a Tor node

thanks, it was already mentioned in the initial post of this topic (tor node = relay or exit per my understanding)

@angstrom said: I find it astounding that someone who has been around here for as long as you have still gets the analogy wrong

english is not my primary language, long time i have been out of school @ maybe the topic is not my hobby

@angstrom said: it's a good thing not to use all of one's allotted bandwidth

no doubt about that, but at same time i think it is not bad to use available bandwidth as i have explained. If provider will not be OK with that, they will fix their service or limit myself or just let me know

@Logano said: I don't think you're a xxxx

thanks, and i understand your explanation. somehow i am assuming that if provider offer 10TB bandwidth to a VPS, then they are having unlimited 1gbit port prepaid and it does not make them pay more if i utilize 5% or 50% of it when the port capacity is unused. In this light not using available bandwidth i treat as wasted opportunity.

• @vimalware said:
    OP is like "stomach very full. how to stuff buffet shrimp in other end? "

This is an eloquent example of explaining 'greed'. I shall use this....not sure how or when, but I will.