Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS bandwidth unused. How to use?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS bandwidth unused. How to use?

VPS can transfer alot of data, yet my usage is very low thanks to I2P, yggdrazil, tor relay, zeronet does not seem to utilize enough transfer.

Any ideas how to long term utilize bandwidth on 15GB disk VPS with free RAM under 400MB and low free CPU?

Comments

• Why?

Thanked by 2kkrajk lentro
  • If you actually don't need it why bother using it all?

Thanked by 2kkrajk taizi
  • Set up another VM, and transfer a dataless file back and forth endlessly. add more vm's into the mix til you can just have a massive network of useless traffic doing something but nothing.

• YABS it all day long.

• mcgreemcgree Member
    edited November 2021

What if I have unlimited bw VPS and can't use it all?

• If you don't need to use it, don't use it. Just let your low-end VPS provider have a few dimes of profit, and free yourself of however much time it takes for you to set up unnecessary transfers.

• Donate the bandwidth to Tor of course

Thanked by 1postcd
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

The end is PMSly nigh.

• @cybertech said:
    YABS it all day long.

Search does not return anything relevant, link to official site?

transfer a dataless file back and forth

i have forgot word useful in my request

@Logano said: let your low-end VPS provider have a few dimes of profit

i thought that unused traffic of the dedicated server is wasted traffic (why to spend money to run something that is not used), why is it not so, any link or explain here? I am running just a share of the server and i think i should utilize it fully, someone may know about the software like ones have mentioned that would need my traffic.

@deank said: PMSly

was unable to find out the meaning of this abbreviation

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@postcd said:
    i thought that unused traffic of the dedicated server is wasted traffic (why to spend money to run something that is not used), why is it not so, any link or explain here? I am running just a share of the server and i think i should utilize it fully, someone may know about the software like ones have mentioned that would need my traffic.

Your post specifically mentioned VPS. Traffic is most usually over provisioned as most users wont need all of them, why not be a good neighbour?

Thanked by 2kkrajk webcraft
  • Hahaha, fucking shithouse. This is why we can't have nice things.

• OP's post has the vibes of the "I paid for the whole speedometer, I'm gonna use the whole speedometer" meme.

• @stevewatson301
    maybe that is your style. my understanding of a VPS is that the node software limits the VPS traffic so in case other VPSs needs traffic they will have it and my VPS will be limited or in another words will use its "equal" share to other VPSs. Try to be more ontopic and answer the question please - about useful software like ones i have mentioned.

@Nekki said: This is why we can't have nice things

this post was useless to me, even i would like to learn from it (something useful) !

• @postcd said: this post was useless to me, even i would like to learn from it (something useful) !

This is because you're not open-minded enough to see the lesson.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • It's like water. Assume your water is included in the rent (that is the case where I live). Do you leave the water running 24/7 just because you can? If you internet at home has unmetered traffic, do you leave your PC running 24/7 downloading to dev/null?

Even If you can, and it is your right, when you use the remaining traffic, you put stress on the network and reduce the speed others get, that's totally fine, if you need it. But if not, be a nice neighbor, it does not hurt to be nice. That is the concept of shared ressources. Also the traffic does not come for free (from an ecological point of view), the more stress you put on the server + network, the more electricity will be burnt, which is okay, if you need it.

• postcdpostcd Member
    edited November 2021

@Nekki said: you're not open-minded

And you do not help me by stopping being lazy ass and explaining in bigger detail at the first place. I am not a native english speaker.

@afn said: when you use the remaining traffic, you put stress on the network and reduce the speed others get

thanks, such reduction can not be significant if i use remaining traffic... or you mean this dedi. uplink usage will have any significant impact other dedis in DC and outside? I still think when the provider rented this capacity, it should be used and not idling and i think that Tor, I2P is good usage of unused resources.

the more stress you put on the server + network, the more electricity will be burnt,

i would like this explained in detail. Maybe the routers would have to use more CPU but i would not think this to be any significant for lets say additional 20 MB/s? But in the past i was also curious what is the energetic footprint of the additional home internet usage. For example if i not use 1MB/s but instead 10MB/s worldwide traffic, how much more electricity is burnt on the way.

• bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited November 2021

@postcd said: Try to be more ontopic and answer the question please - about useful software like ones i have mentioned.

Sure, here's one method to utilize the bandwidth of your VPS, by relaying traffic similar to tor. You don't even need to install any additional software for this purpose, and your VPS would be fully secure while at it.

Create the following usernames with the passwords mentioned after the : sign on your system with the useradd command:

username:password
    admin:admin
    ubnt:ubnt
    support:support
    blank:blank
    anonymous:@anonymous
    root:root
    user:123456
    pi:raspberry

Add in the following rules at the top of your /etc/ssh/sshd_config file:

Match User username,admin,ubnt,support,blank,anonymous,root,user,pi
      AllowTcpForwarding yes
      X11Forwarding no
      AllowAgentForwarding no
      PasswordAuthentication yes
      ForceCommand /bin/false

Also make sure that the SSH port is at 22 as it is crucial for this to work.

Reload the ssh daemon by using systemctl restart sshd and wait for a few hours, at which point, your VPS's bandwidth should be fully utilized.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited November 2021

@afn said:
    It's like water. Assume your water is included in the rent (that is the case where I live). Do you leave the water running 24/7 just because you can? If you internet at home has unmetered traffic, do you leave your PC running 24/7 downloading to dev/null?

Electricity is included in my rent.
    I leave the computer running 24/7 copying files between my VPSes.

Example code:

while true; do
      scp -3 vps$((RANDOM%10)):/dev/urandom vps$((RANDOM%10)):/dev/shm/useless.bin || true
    done

• @postcd said:

@Nekki said: you're not open-minded

And you do not help me by stopping being lazy ass and explaining in bigger detail at the first place. I am not a native english speaker.

I don’t spoon-feed the entitled millennial. There is always method in my madness. If you cannot see the message, it is because you need to alter your perspective, not because the message is unclear.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • Democracy is a government by the people of the people for the people but the people are retarded.

• postcdpostcd Member
    edited November 2021

@Nekki said: alter your perspective, not because the message is unclear

Your message was clear about me, but was absolutely useless to help me understand where i may be wrong and why. So yes, it was useless to me and you are that stupid not to help the world by telling me why i am wrong and how it should be.

@Boogeyman said: people are retarded

and you are not (a people), rather tell something useful (and mainly ONTOPIC, ideally answering question of the topic)

@stevewatson301 said: utilize the bandwidth of your VPS, by relaying traffic similar to tor

Thanks. But i do not want to participate in some attacks etc.. Your modification gives my such worry. Can i read more on how such configured TCP relay be used/abused by others? (like usage cases..). Was researching a bit, but unable to find out how such config. can be abused exactly.

So only answer to a question in the first post is so far previous comment from stevewatson301

• ShakibShakib Member, Patron Provider

If everyone started thinking like that, we are gonna have a very slow internet.

Thanked by 2lentro webcraft
  • @postcd said:

@Nekki said: alter your perspective, not because the message is unclear

Your message was clear about me, but was absolutely useless to help me understand where i may be wrong and why. So yes, it was useless to me and you are that stupid not to help the world by telling me why i am wrong and how it should be.

If it was clear, you would not be responding the way you are.

Take a breath, take a moment and come back fresh. I have faith you will see the message, if you really want to.

• postcdpostcd Member
    edited November 2021

@Shakib said: If everyone started thinking like that

or you can take it from other side, If everyone contribute resources to P2P networks like that these can be much more useable

@Nekki

If it was clear

yes your statement "This is why we can't have nice things" was not clear to me, obviously we have not common brain to know what each other thinking, though my comment is useless as you apparently are not polite enough and willing to help by explaining.

I wanted to remind that only answer to question in OP in this long thread was provided in this post

• bdlbdl Member
    edited November 2021

@postcd said:

@Shakib said: If everyone started thinking like that

or you can take it from other side, If everyone contribute resources to P2P networks like that these can be much more useable

@Nekki

If it was clear

yes your statement "This is why we can't have nice things" was not clear to me, obviously we have not common brain to know what each other thinking, though my comment is useless as you apparently are not polite enough and willing to help by explaining.

I wanted to remind that only answer to question in OP in this long thread was provided in this post

remind us again, big daddy

by encouraging you to post, we are using up your bw for you

• bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited November 2021

@postcd said: But i do not want to participate in some attacks etc.. Your modification gives my such worry. Can i read more on how such configured TCP relay be used/abused by others? (like usage cases..).

As you can see, we've restricted the users to only relay TCP traffic, which inherently prevents attacks through it's 3-way handshake protocol. Command execution is fully disallowed, and I myself run a Virmach VPS with a SSH server that allows relaying traffic.

Thanked by 1postcd
  • What the actual fuck.

• postcdpostcd Member
    edited November 2021

@BradND

What the actual fuck.

lack of answer to initial OP question and being on topic.

@bdl said: we are using up your bw for you

more importantly you are wasting the time of the future users and space of this rather offtopic thread

@stevewatson301 said: TCP traffic, which inherently prevents attacks through it's 3-way handshake protocol

i thought abuse can be done even via TCP and had no clue such setup prevents attacks, maybe also why i was asking for details that can make me understand in which ways that setup can be used and why it can not be abused. Also i guess setting root password to root and disallowing SSH commands does not look like a good and safe advice. Your setup seems to be too difficult to understand for me - rather low experience Linux user, i do not want to waste your time. Thank you

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I initially thought this was a troll post. Then upon looking at OP's post history, I realized that he has absolutely no common sense of any kind.

In short, OP, you need some more human interactions. Get out of that basement of yours.

• stratagemstratagem Member, Host Rep

@postcd said:
    rather low experience Linux user

Then this should help you utilise your bandwidth, and you'll learn in the process.