Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are free domains still a thing? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Are free domains still a thing?

13»

Comments

• Almost all free public domains are blacklisted or has heavy penalties from all search engines. Emails coming from those domains goes to SPAM. Some of those domains associated with heavy malware spread. Why do you need one? Nowadays it is trivial to get your own domain for below 1 united states dollar.

I bet there is also infamous .pushup domain (registrar in Antarctica) for 0.69 of your chosen currency (be it monetary or in kind).

If you have acquired taste, buy domain from balenciaga. Price depends on you shizofrenia level, clothes and medication dosage.

• ninjatkninjatk Signature Restricted

@jmaxwell said:

@ninjatk said:
    Free domain is not easy to get this day.
    I have to pay for my domain https://ninja.tk as it is a ‘premium’ domain, while other people could quickly get it for free.

Trying hard to promote your blog, ain’t we

Please don't overthink, I try to search “related” someone use .tk just like me.

• @_abhishek said:
    Would a free pp.ua subdomain work for you?

noone can read those odds signs

• The last experience I had with Freenom was not good at all. I registered the domain for one year; however, the domain got some traffic from Google, and they directly unregistered the domain, asking for 8.99 USD if I remember well.

• One more comment: I also love the TLD .top, which I guess has a good price of $4.99 (renewal as well). Namesilo.

• I got a free .geek TLD with OpenNIC, it has worked reliably for months to date. It has its gotcha of not being resolvable with a default DNS configuration, but it's been fantastic for my needs. The advantage over having entries in /etc/hosts is that multiple computers and VPS's can be updated from a single DNS config page.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • @davide said:
    entries in /etc/hosts

This should be on the clients connecting to the domain ?

• @jmaxwell said: This should be on the clients connecting to the domain ?

Yep any client that you want to be able to resolve this "domain" to the correct IP.

• Nope, no one will use that gargabe to be honest. They may visit your website, but your bounce rate will be under ~90% or 95%.

For serious project not a good idea, for testing and demonstration like demos? Probably OK.

Even with demos, I shouldn't take the project so serious like a .xyz domain or any cheap domain ;)

@sandoz said:
    Nope, no one will use that gargabe to be honest. They may visit your website, but your bounce rate will be under ~90% or 95%.

For serious project not a good idea, for testing and demonstration like demos? Probably OK.

Even with demos, I shouldn't take the project so serious like a .xyz domain or any cheap domain ;)

People have free will and are free to do anything, so it is okay for that. Beside .tk is a cctld related to Tokelau so, if we use it, the people on that small island could have some profit from freedom and opentld is the good thing people could do, so why not?

• emgemg Veteran

I still use a few free subdomains from FreeDNS, which was mentioned above:
    https://freedns.afraid.org

I use them for dynamic DNS - my firewall updates the DNS IP address automatically if it changes, which happens, but rarely. I create subdomains in their free "mooo.com" domain. They have 7 different free domains, all of them a little "weird." The free tier requires you to login periodically to keep your account active, but they send you a reminder email when it is needed.

I've used FreeDNS for nearly 10 years and can vouch for the owner.

I am not sure how useful FreeDNS would be for other uses, such as email. It would not surprise me to learn that all of their domains are blocked by the big email providers.

• @ninjatk said:

@sandoz said:
    Nope, no one will use that gargabe to be honest. They may visit your website, but your bounce rate will be under ~90% or 95%.

People have free will and are free to do anything, so it is okay for that. Beside .tk is a cctld related to Tokelau so, if we use it, the people on that small island could have some profit from freedom and opentld is the good thing people could do, so why not?

You can use. I'm just telling you that people won't take it seriously. That's OK If you are confortable with that. Fine, nothing wrong with that.

Just don't expect people believing a lot in your project. Being free is associated with scams, phishing and Fraud websites.. People that doesn't have a lot of knowledge but knows that Domains ends with .TK are probably a scam.

That is a thing people will doubt and your bounce rate will be higher. If you understand that and if you are fine with that why not?

Just don't expect me or others trusting in a website with free domain or paid services with free domain.

You are free, but my way and point of seeing are also free. ;)

@sandoz said:

@ninjatk said:

@sandoz said:

You can use. I'm just telling you that people won't take it seriously. That's OK If you are confortable with that. Fine, nothing wrong with that.

Just don't expect people believing a lot in your project. Being free is associated with scams, phishing and Fraud websites.. People that doesn't have a lot of knowledge but knows that Domains ends with .TK are probably a scam.

That is a thing people will doubt and your bounce rate will be higher. If you understand that and if you are fine with that why not?

Just don't expect me or others trusting in a website with free domain or paid services with free domain.

Great to know that, happy for you. free man 🤣

Yes, i know that, and i’m ok with that. That is why you can never found google analytics, hotjar, or anything similar that analytics people tracking on my sites. When enter the games, I know, and i do.

Have you see my website yet? on .tk domain, it a personal showcase and note website, it not business so who care if people see it on 2-5 seconds and turn it off 🥹🤣 no, sir. i dont care about that at all 🤧

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

Just use any ddns service, works hella fine.

• @ninjatk said:

@sandoz said:

@ninjatk said:

@sandoz said:

Yes, i know that, and i’m ok with that. That is why you can never found google analytics, hotjar, or anything similar that analytics people tracking on my sites. When enter the games, I know, and i do.

Have you see my website yet? on .tk domain, it a personal showcase and note website, it not business so who care if people see it on 2-5 seconds and turn it off 🥹🤣 no, sir. i dont care about that at all 🤧

Yes I saw your website. Is not bad.
    But I closed because doesn't give me any trust.

Freelancer who doesn't have few Bucks anually for a domain or hosting is suspicious for me.

Well not for you. However the way of you think is not the way who market and people thinks.

Have a nice day! ;)

@sandoz said:

@ninjatk said:

@sandoz said:

@ninjatk said:

@sandoz said:

Yes I saw your website. Is not bad.
    But I closed because doesn't give me any trust.

Freelancer who doesn't have few Bucks anually for a domain or hosting is suspicious for me.

Well not for you. However the way of you think is not the way who market and people think.

Have a nice day! ;)

Thanks, glad that you visit my site.
    Yes, my thought is not gonna to make profit on the domain. It is my favorite domain, and I love to call it home, even nobody like it, that the way we are different, my friend. Have a good day, I have to take a snap, do not start a new fight, okay ☺️