Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are free domains still a thing? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Are free domains still a thing?

Comments

• Would a free pp.ua subdomain work for you?

Thanked by 1natestamm
  • @Bogddan said:
    You can still get it for free from Freenom, you just need to add the TLD at the end of the search on that site and it will take you to checkout (e.g. example[.]tk). Searching only the domain name without TLD will say that all of them are not available. A friend got one like 2 days ago so I think it's still working.

And according to their site, free domains are still available.
    https://www.freenom.com/en/freeandpaiddomains.html

From where the rumor 'no free domains' came from?

There are still lots of people in the world, who can't pay few cents for a domain. Many western boys and girls can't understand that...

Thanked by 1ninjatk
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited November 2021

@sgno1 said:
    What would be the cheapest renewal domain, is there anything renewing < $3?

.ru is 199 Rubeloos about 2€

Grab here: https://ru-tld.ru/en/

I have been told you can go low as 150, however likely not for western spy.

• freedns.afraid.org is the only one I'd trust for free (sub)domains. Freenom is kinda sketchy and they have a tendency to take good domains, or domains that receive a lot of traffic, away from the person that registered them and make them premium (paid-only).

You do have at least one domain already, right? Or do you just access your servers directly by IP? I'd recommend just using a subdomain off one of your domains. At least you have some rights if it's your own domain.

Thanked by 1dev077
  • @sgno1 said: What would be the cheapest renewal domain, is there anything renewing < $3?

You tell about free domain for testing, now asking for a renewal. Interesting. :smiley:

• AndrewSSDAndrewSSD Member, Host Rep

There is no free domain on .tk now you need to go with something like aa.aa there is no a freewebsite.tld directly overall if you need it for testing you should pick any free tld is that's right?

• You can get a domain for less than a dollar.
    https://tld-list.com/

• rattlecattlerattlecattle Member
    edited November 2021

1.111B Class .xyz domains both sell and renew for $0.99 per year. That is all the domains from 000000.xyz through 999999999.xyz (6, 7, 8 and 9 digit numbers)

NameCheap currently lists them for 0.82 for registration and renewal.

Thanked by 1cname
  • @default said:

@Tejy said:
    .ovh for 0,99€.

Nothing is free in this world.
    .ovh or .xyz are cheapest domains that you can find.

• @Tejy said:
    Nothing is free in this world.

Many things are free, but we barely notice them. We are so connected and dependent on one another, that in our greed for some virtual value which was artificially "educated" in our heads for control (money), we fail to stop and look at the beauty of actually being here and now, with with a deep and profound respect towards all the freedom of life around us.

$0.99 is just in our heads.

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

@sgno1 said:

".feedback" from internet.bs is 1.49

".stream" from domain.com is 2.99

Thanked by 2sgno1 idleparty
  • On the other green forum, there's a post for .eu domains, short term offer till 19th of €11 for 10 years.

Thanked by 2that_guy abtdw
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

Just buy a 0.99 Cents domain to test your stuff. Why do you need to renew? :anguished:

• @typicalGtaTG said:

@sgno1 said:

.ovh is the cheapest renewal I've found.

Please don't buy .OVH domain even some basic function such as setting glue record doesn't work and support doesn't even reply for more than w month

Thanked by 1sgno1
  • ITChristianITChristian Member
    edited November 2021

Freenom is working but you should insist on requesting a domain name. I had to create a second or third account, using another IP, to be able to register a new domain. :)

• Apart from afraid.org and eu.org, are there still any alternative subdomain platforms?

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Freenom is no longer sending renewal notices, or at least they are not reaching Gmail.
    I lost several domains because of this.

Cloudflare forum has several complaints about unable to add Freenom domains.
    The explanation is always WHOIS error.

I could buy .xyz for testing, or I could save the dollar for Coca Cola in McDonald's.

Thanked by 3sgno1 natestamm lentro
  • freenom still exists but the domain extensions are at best for testing purposes as they are used for spam mostly. Domain names are quite cheap with some providers offering for at least £1 or $1

• Freenom Still exist

• @yoursunny said:
    Freenom is no longer sending renewal notices, or at least they are not reaching Gmail.
    I lost several domains because of this.

Cloudflare forum has several complaints about unable to add Freenom domains.
    The explanation is always WHOIS error.

I could buy .xyz for testing, or I could save the dollar for Coca Cola in McDonald's.

Was it the freshest coke?

• Who remembers freedomain.co.nr?

• @jenkki said: Why you need a free domain, if not be able spend few bucks for legit and stable service instead?

free domains are not "unstable" or "not legit", they work just fine, it's just a dns record afterall

• @serveradministrator said:
    Who remembers freedomain.co.nr?

Yes! I remember uni.cc as well.

• pp.ua and free.hr

Both have cheap renewal

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@bruh21 said: ".feedback" from internet.bs is 1.49

Missed to reply sooner, but keep in mind there was some b/s with .feedback, iirc you cannot change nameservers and have to use their provided webhosting and site engine.

Thanked by 1sgno1
  • ninjatkninjatk Signature Restricted
    edited December 2022

Free domain is not easy to get this day.
    [promotion of one's site]

Mod edit (angstrom): deleted

• kdhkdh Member
    edited December 2022

@ninjatk Please don't necropost

Freenom's business is to offer the domain for free (registered as themselves) and take over if you generate some traffic and sell them to others.
    Don't use it if you have cannot host a site 24/7 with that domain & expect lower than like 30 visitors a day.

Just use 1.111B .xyz for testing. ~$1.5/yr for a testing domain is worth it.

• ninjatkninjatk Signature Restricted

@kdh Kim I'm so sorry I didn't mean to necropost here, sorry.
    as i mention it is a dictionary word domain and i really love it. i still using it as My website.
    Thanks for the advice; I appreciate it.

• VoidVoid Member
    edited December 2022

@ninjatk said:
    Free domain is not easy to get this day.
    [promotion of one's site]

Trying real hard to promote your blog, ain’t we

Mod edit (angstrom): deleted quoted text

• @mrTom said: The registration page is still online, but whatever domain you try to register is not available.

This works fine. I just placed a free order for a domain and got it. Maybe try again?