Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are free domains still a thing?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I remember coming across Freenom/Dot.tk a while back it seems like you can no longer get any domains with them. Are there any other services that provide free domains?

Comments

• There are several free subdomains running, among which eu.org is the most famous one

• Some reg are very cheap .com, such as 123reg in the UK.

but not sure which would offer $0 .com :|

• @swat4 said:
    Some reg are very cheap .com, such as 123reg in the UK.

Not interested in .com, any domain extension that is free and provides a DNS manager.

• @sgno1 said: I remember coming across Freenom/Dot.tk a while back it seems like you can no longer get any domains with them. Are there any other services that provide free domains?

Why you need a free domain, if not be able spend few bucks for legit and stable service instead?

• sgno1sgno1 Member
    edited November 2021

@jenkki said:

@sgno1 said: I remember coming across Freenom/Dot.tk a while back it seems like you can no longer get any domains with them. Are there any other services that provide free domains?

Why you need a free domain, if not be able spend few bucks for legit and stable service instead?

Just need it for testing, not really wanting to spend a few bucks just to test some stuff out for my portfolio, need to run some quick tests pretty much so any extension works

• @sgno1 said:

@jenkki said:

@sgno1 said: I remember coming across Freenom/Dot.tk a while back it seems like you can no longer get any domains with them. Are there any other services that provide free domains?

Just need it for testing, not really wanting to spend a few bucks just to test some stuff out for my portfolio, need to run some quick tests pretty much so any extension works

Just edit /etc/hosts

• @stevewatson301 said:

@sgno1 said:

@jenkki said:

Just edit /etc/hosts

Need a domain, not local testing as I need to share the site to a few people

• Free domains are still good for testing things. I use Freenom for this. After the first free year, you may continue to use it with payment.

• If you dont mind a subdomain https://freedns.afraid.org/

• swat4swat4 Member
    edited November 2021

@sgno1 said:

Not interested in .com, any domain extension that is free and provides a DNS manager.

would you care for a .bid domain? Can give it to you for free. valid until late Jan 2022.

Renew at Namesilo is $3.xx per year

edit: sorry my bad. It is currently at Porkbun. But the transfer/renewal cost is the same.

• sav.com offers several extensions for just $0.69. Usually buy there for dev purposes. Freenom is not good, you can lost everything in a seconds.

• @sgno1 said: Just need it for testing, not really wanting to spend a few bucks just to test some stuff out for my portfolio, need to run some quick tests pretty much so any extension works

$1,50-3,00 too much for your testing? There a lot of xyz or club TLD almost free.

• XYZ only $1 on Namecheap.com

Thanked by 1sgno1
  • @jenkki said:
    $1,50-3,00 too much for your testing? There a lot of xyz or club TLD almost free.

Too expensive. You must be rich or something.

@jenkki said:
    XYZ only $1 on Namecheap.com

Way too expensive. We need to go way lower.

• .ovh for 0,99€.

Thanked by 2sgno1 Zyra
  • Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll look into the ones that are < $1 in that case.

• @Tejy said:
    .ovh for 0,99€.

Thanked by 1Zyra
  • @sgno1 said:
    I remember coming across Freenom/Dot.tk a while back it seems like you can no longer get any domains with them.

Are you sure?
    https://www.freenom.com/en/freeandpaiddomains.html

• .gay for $3.84 at Porkbun

• @that_guy said:

@sgno1 said:
    I remember coming across Freenom/Dot.tk a while back it seems like you can no longer get any domains with them.

Are you sure?
    https://www.freenom.com/en/freeandpaiddomains.html

It seems to be true. The registration page is still online, but whatever domain you try to register is not available.

• jenkkijenkki Member
    edited November 2021

@sgno1 said: I'll look into the ones that are < $1 in that case

Join The end is nigh sect to get you covered.

• FractionFrankFractionFrank Member, Host Rep

Some providers are often offering .co.uk domains free for new customers for the first year with no obligation to renew on the second year.

.ml and .tk are free but almost all mail sent from such domains will land in Junk or Spam so that's worth considering - if you need reliable mail delivery then you'll need to start with a paid domain.

Thanked by 1sgno1
  • @jenkki said:

@sgno1 said: I'll look into the ones that are < $1 in that case

Join The end is nigh sect to get you covered.

Will consider it thanks

• Are free domains still a thing?

But were they ever really a thing for any use that was even mildly serious?

If you want a free (sub)domain to use, then I would echo @djn's recommendation above and get one from afraid.org .

• @angstrom said:

If you want a free (sub)domain to use, then I would echo @djn's recommendation above and get one from afraid.org .

eu.org

• @ascicode said:

@angstrom said:

eu.org

That's also a possibility, also mentioned by @Kousaka above.

• @sgno1 said:

@swat4 said:
    Some reg are very cheap .com, such as 123reg in the UK.

You will find many registrars offering .xyz for $0.99 for the first year.

• What would be the cheapest renewal domain, is there anything renewing < $3?

• typicalGtaTGtypicalGtaTG Member, Host Rep

@sgno1 said:
    What would be the cheapest renewal domain, is there anything renewing < $3?

.ovh is the cheapest renewal I've found.

• BogddanBogddan Member
    edited November 2021

You can still get it for free from Freenom, you just need to add the TLD at the end of the search on that site and it will take you to checkout (e.g. example[.]tk). Searching only the domain name without TLD will say that all of them are not available. A friend got one like 2 days ago so I think it's still working.

Thanked by 2sgno1 that_guy