Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DelimiterVPS 12 Hour Atom Review - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DelimiterVPS 12 Hour Atom Review

Comments

• @MarkTurner said:
    You should use the final figure ie 3.39MB which is 27.12Mbps

Are you saying you want to move files between your home and this device or from another server.

Rather than benchmarking against Softlayer's - how can I put this politely - 'optimised' tester - why not stick a 100MB file on your server and test download/upload between your home and the server; then another server and your home for comparison.

From within the Westin building (Seattle) to that URL, I am not even getting 30Mbps and I am 4ms away from that IP.

What do you get from home when download the same URL from Softlayer?

I was planning on using it for backups and things of that nature. I'm getting 10.72Mbps from home.

• And what do you get from your home to the atom server eg ftp/http get? put?

How fast is your home DSL/broadband service? Can you saturate your local connection?

Thanked by 1FlamesRunner
  • @skybucks10 - backupsy would be cheaper I believe.

• @MarkTurner said:
    And what do you get from your home to the atom server eg ftp/http get? put?

How fast is your home DSL/broadband service? Can you saturate your local connection?

I have no idea about the first 3, but I have Comcast which maxes at about 40ish Down and about 10 Up

• @darknessends said:
    skybucks10 - backupsy would be cheaper I believe.

Only issue I had with them was that I was restricted to only backups and nothing else.

• The best way to benchmark it, is to actually shift some files from your home (or whatever the source is) to the server - see what the real performance looks like.

• @MarkTurner said:
    Do the physics - (check my figures - its late here)

Speed of light = 299,792,458 metres/second = 299,792.458 metres/millisecond

Distance (as crow flies) from Seattle to Frankfurt = 5,080 miles = 8175.468km

8175.468 x 1000 = 8,175,468m

8175468/299792 = 27ms assuming that its as the crow flies and 100% optical all the way.

Fiber has a refractive index of about 1.5 so light travels through fiber at about 2/3 the speed of light, or about 200,000 metres/millisecond, so it would be 40ms from Seattle to Frankfurt "assuming that its as the crow flies and 100% optical all the way."

• This was supposed to be a simplistic version, of course there are a pile of other characteristics - fibre grade, wavelength, Raman/No Raman, etc.

• JeffreyJeffrey Member
    edited December 2013

If you need a really cheap dedicated server, I recommend waiting until tomorrow, "Cyber Monday", or ask around datacenters if they have older hardware lying around and they might be able to rent it for you at a really cheap rate.

• @Jeffrey the problem with old equipment - it costs more to power than modern kit. Often the equipment is such a low cost compared to the cost of the power/cooling.

We have about 300-400 Pentium 4's sitting in a storage room in Atlanta and I think about 150 Opteron 270's - these machines were retired years ago, we could fire them up and rent them out for pennies but the electricity/cooling bumps the price through the roof.

• Everyone has a past, some hide it better than others. No one is perfect in this industry.

Like it :D

• @MarkTurner I can imagine that, I had an Intel Celeron dedicated server in Tampa, FL for only $15/Month. I can't see how that DC made a profit on powering that Celeron.

• @Jeffrey - depends on brand, some Celerons are cheap to power. I know these HP units (DL140, DL145) slurp up the power.

• @Jeffrey said:
    If you need a really cheap dedicated server, I recommend waiting until tomorrow, "Cyber Monday"

That's what i'm planning on doing

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Jeffrey said:
    If you need a really cheap dedicated server, I recommend waiting until tomorrow, "Cyber Monday", or ask around datacenters if they have older hardware lying around and they might be able to rent it for you at a really cheap rate.

You got some insight into some sales? You know I have a problem... @earl knows.

• @jarland What are you on about?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Jeffrey said:
    jarland What are you on about?

Sounded like you knew something :)

• @jarland Sorry, but I am really confused at what you are trying to imply here.

• @Jeffrey said:
    jarland Sorry, but I am really confused at what you are trying to imply here.

He is asking you if you know of any good deals on dedicated servers..

Thanked by 1DalComp
  • @earl said:
    He is asking you if you know of any good deals on dedicated servers..

lol. I thought he was implying his employer is going to have a dedicated server blowout like the one in May maybe, but he won't be able to grab one because he's an employee. Something along that line.

• @DalComp said:
    lol. I thought he was implying his employer is going to have a dedicated server blowout like the one in May maybe, but he won't be able to grab one because he's an employee. Something along that line.

Really? Hmm.. no, I took it that Jarland thought Jeffery knew of an up coming deal for Cyber Monday..

Actually you are just as bad as Jarland with your server addiction! lol. you have quite the collection I think.

• @earl said:
    Actually you are just as bad as Jarland with your server addiction! lol. you have quite the collection I think.

Well English is not my first language.

Nope, more like buy and dump rather than collections. I can't keep servers for long, unless for some good ones. :D

Thanked by 1earl
  • @DalComp said:
    Nope, more like buy and dump rather than collections. I can't keep servers for long, unless for some good ones. :D

Same here.. so many deals lately it's kinda hard to keep anything longer than a month or two.

Thanked by 1DalComp
  • @earl said:

Couldn't agree more...

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@DalComp said:
    Couldn't agree more...

I was always puzzled by this as well as providers claiming a high churn rate.
    Since I work for prometeus, i see at least half of the people keeping deals with yearly payment, not to mention others, except, maybe, the chinese, or there were a lot of accounts from the same few people in the time when @prometeus gave great deals to new customers until we learned otherwise.
    For others, while many keep changing plans and transfer credits from one to the other, they usually don't leave, even buy more, i wont hide it that when we wanted to get to the cloud business, we had this motivation, let people manage own instances so we can cut the work with upgrades/downgrades, weird ISOs and templates all the time...
    I consider a good retain rate 1/2 of the people that get to try the service remain customers for year(s), I think the rate is perhaps 2/3 or more, when you are not the cheapest in many areas in this market, this is very good IMO.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • hbjlee17hbjlee17 Member, Host Rep

no wormholes, no tricks. 100% true faster than light information transmission using quantum entanglement of atoms.

• @Maonique I said except for some good ones. ;)
    Additionally, I don't switch VPS providers as frequently as I do dedicated server providers.

• @hbjlee17 said:
    no wormholes, no tricks. 100% true faster than light information transmission using quantum entanglement of atoms.

Sounds scientific, let's go with it!

• @jarland @earl Nope, I am not employed nor affiliated with any VPS/Dedicated Server company.

• @skybucks100 said:
    Here's a 100mb test from Dallas, TX. DC: Incero Speed: 100mbps Host: FlipHost URL: http://gifs.whattherage.com/100.out

haha what the heck is that download file. lame as fuck! it downloaded in about 4 seconds on my 8mbps internet line.

tldr; test file is fake