Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MyW Server Management Review - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MyW Server Management Review

124»

Comments

• @skorupion said:

@Daniel15 said:

@TimboJones said: nobody expects changing SSH port to be the difference between protected and unprotected, it simply reduces the attack surface and makes the attacker work harder (e.g. portscan). It's 100% correct to say it reduces the frequency of attacks

That's only really the case if you move it to a high port (say over 30000). If the port number is <1024 then it's going to be easily found and attacked.

Installing fail2ban, blocking people after 5 attempts, and using certificate auth (totally disable password auth in SSH config) has way more positive impact than changing the port.

and all of this solved with ipv6
    Just put it on a random ipv6 and it's secure.

It is same. Just matter of time.

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited October 2021

@Daniel15 said:

@TimboJones said: nobody expects changing SSH port to be the difference between protected and unprotected, it simply reduces the attack surface and makes the attacker work harder (e.g. portscan). It's 100% correct to say it reduces the frequency of attacks

That's only really the case if you move it to a high port (say over 30000). If the port number is <1024 then it's going to be easily found and attacked.

Installing fail2ban, blocking people after 5 attempts, and using certificate auth (totally disable password auth in SSH config) has way more positive impact than changing the port.

No. Leaving SSH on port 22 means NO scan is needed. You'll decrease the amount of random attackers with this change alone. Anyone who has the target as a specific target and not just "doors unlocked, I think I'll walk in" will scan ALL ports to look for many/any vulnerability rather than a skid script scanning the Internet.

It's a reduction in attack surface, not a complete block of attack surface.

Thanked by 1pepa65
  • @skorupion said:

@Daniel15 said:

and all of this solved with ipv6
    Just put it on a random ipv6 and it's secure.

There's a number of whitepapers describing this myth. And several RFC's to try and address that.

• @TimboJones said: No. Leaving SSH on port 22 means NO scan is needed.

Same with moving HTTPS to a port other than 443, yet nobody does that. :tongue:

I mean I kinda agree with you, but there's very fast port scanning tools especially if you only scan privileged ports (<1024), so the actual impact these days isn't as large as it used to be.

I run all my servers with SSH on port 22, but with keys only (PasswordAuthentication no) and fail2ban is configured to block people for one week after 5 unsuccessful attempts ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• @Daniel15 said:

@TimboJones said: No. Leaving SSH on port 22 means NO scan is needed.

Same with moving HTTPS to a port other than 443, yet nobody does that. :tongue:

What? No, you're wrong. Publicly accessible services should be on the publicly assigned port for obvious reasons. Private use does not. Every NMS I use is not on 443 by default. Stuff on internal networks are often on non-443 ports. The amount of 443 stuff on 8443 and 8888, 8080, etc is substantial.

I mean I kinda agree with you, but there's very fast port scanning tools especially if you only scan privileged ports (<1024), so the actual impact these days isn't as large as it used to be.

I run all my servers with SSH on port 22, but with keys only (PasswordAuthentication no) and fail2ban is configured to block people for one week after 5 unsuccessful attempts ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

To be clear, moving SSH port is not an "either/or" with using fail2ban. Using both is better than either alone (I use both changing port and fail2ban and permanent ban, none of this pussy one week timeouts ;) ).

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited October 2021

@TimboJones said: permanent ban

I'm worried about locking myself out hahaha. Sure I could VNC in, but typing a long password over VNC is not ideal. Maybe there's a VNC client that supports pasting by emulating keypresses though? Also some IPs are shared very widely (eg some companies have all their outbound VPN traffic route via just a few IPs) so I didn't want to overly use permabans.

@TimboJones said: Private use does not. Every NMS I use is not on 443 by default. Stuff on internal networks are often on non-443 ports. The amount of 443 stuff on 8443 and 8888, 8080, etc is substantial.

I haven't seen much stuff on non-standard HTTP ports for a while, but admittedly I don't use a lot of internal-only stuff so I believe you. :smile:

I do run some stuff on non-standard ports though, usually things I don't want to proxy through nginx. All the DNSTools workers are on port 54561 for example (https://github.com/Daniel15/dnstools/blob/bcf9a9c6533706f2f1dcd8cc0f73bbe0495048dd/src/DnsTools.Web/Services/WorkerProvider.cs#L105) as not all of them run Nginx (particularly the 128 MB VPSes)

• @Daniel15 said:

@TimboJones said: permanent ban

I'm worried about locking myself out hahaha.

It's happened to me on setting up freshly imaged servers. That's why the script I use to install stuff also whitelists my home IP and others. And would you ever wait 1 week to reconnect? No, then it's trade-off between reducing the ban time and entering a 16 character password over VNC. But my home IP and some other long time server IP's aren't going to change where it's a good solution for me.

Sure I could VNC in, but typing a long password over VNC is not ideal. Maybe there's a VNC client that supports pasting by emulating keypresses though? Also some IPs are shared very widely (eg some companies have all their outbound VPN traffic route via just a few IPs) so I didn't want to overly use permabans.

I think there's ways to get the VNC address out of the html and then just use a VNC client with password saving. Might be certain panels.

@TimboJones said: Private use does not. Every NMS I use is not on 443 by default. Stuff on internal networks are often on non-443 ports. The amount of 443 stuff on 8443 and 8888, 8080, etc is substantial.

I haven't seen much stuff on non-standard HTTP ports for a while, but admittedly I don't use a lot of internal-only stuff so I believe you. :smile:

I do run some stuff on non-standard ports though, usually things I don't want to proxy through nginx.

I was wondering if you meant the opposite, where services are setup on nonstandard ports since they are being proxied by nginx (typically running SNI on 443). Anywho, just shows everyone has different use cases.