Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MyW Server Management Review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MyW Server Management Review

deadpooldeadpool Member
edited September 2021 in Reviews

I recently signed up for Server Management through MyW on 9/18 after seeing some posts here. Unfortunately I can't recommend them to any of my friends and family and here's why.

I signed up and had two main objectives.
1st was one of my subdomains wasn't responding even though I had the domain setup in DA
2nd was an initial server hardening.

When I outlined these tasks I was told they would need to wait until the next day as it was 4:30 in the morning their time and they would only respond to emergency requests. That was my first red flag as most companies that provide server management as their primary offering have agents on site to handle all requests 24/7 but I wasn't in a rush so I agreed.

I responded 19 hours later asking for a status update.

Tech responded 20 hours after that request letting me know the subdomain wasn't responding (no sh*t). This was nearly 48 hours after my first request.

We exchanged a few messages over the course of the next 6 hours and they correctly pointed me in the right direction informing me I would need to add an A record to Cloudflare for it to work. Cool first problem solved.

I then asked how initial server hardening was going? The tech asked me what sort of server hardening or server optimization I needed... That threw me off and was a big problem for me. JoneSolutions for example ran through a entire list of recommended changes because I'm paying them to be the expert. If I was an expert and knew what I wanted to have done on my server I wouldn't need server management. For inexperienced users that just isn't an appropriate response.

I inform the tech that I had a previous server that was managed with JoneSolutions. I moved the accounts from the old server to the new server. I literally copied the work log from JoneSolutions from the previous server and said maybe start with that. Again I am not the expert in this situation. I am relying on MyW to fix me up and get me rolling. By me posting the worklog from JS it gives them something to work with and would secure my server to an industry standard.

The tech comes back and says that JoneSolution already did everything I requested and there wasn't anything left for them to do......

I literally used the account transfer button in DirectAdmin when I moved servers. It was a completely new install with the user accounts moved over. Literally nothing JoneSolutions did for me on my previous server moved over. The FIRST lines of the JoneSolutions worklog is "changed ssh port from 22 to 222" well guess what? My current servers ssh is still sitting at port 22. That tells me the MyW tech didn't read a single thing in that work log. He was lazy and simply didn't want to do the task I had given him.

The tech did offer me a refund on the 21st but after 4 days and 3 bumps on my ticket I haven't gotten another response.

Maybe others have had a good experience with MyW but I wouldn't trust them with any of my web hosting needs.

Thanked by 1drunkendog

Comments

• Heard this place loves Deadpool

• Post screenshots op

• @cybertech said:
    Heard this place loves Deadpool

And circlejerking

• OP please provide screenshots with all communication. 95% cases is customers fault. The rest is just a human error.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • Unless OP posts any sort of proof it's OP's fault. And paying normal subscription fee and requesting an emergency solution for a case is actual red flag. Server administration service providers usually have 24/7 support agent. But if anything is too emergency case that requires higher fee than normal.

• Thanked by 1Arkas
  • Proof validated - unacceptable services. Avoid.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@LTniger said: Proof validated - unacceptable services. Avoid.

Agreed.

• From Mike last reply, I can conclude that it was a misunderstanding.

I assune, Mike thought Jones had done all the tasks already.

• deadpooldeadpool Member
    edited September 2021

@Fritz said:
    From Mike last reply, I can conclude that it was a misunderstanding.

Possibly I could see how that could happen but a quick ssh into the server would have said otherwise. Assumptions lead to trouble.

Also it doesn’t excuse how he ghosted me for 4 days after he proposed a refund.

OR asking how I wanted the server hardened. People ordering server management aren’t usually up to speed on current trends. They’re paying for their server management company to be the expert.

Thanked by 1pepa65
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Not defending anyone here but based on the screenshot, it looks like @MikePT misunderstood what OP was trying to say with regards to what needs to be done, which was based on what was done by the previous Provider.

I'm sure you both can work things out once @MikePT responds.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited September 2021

That list from JoneSolutions (whoever that is) is missing one of the more important things - disabling passwords for SSH login. You'd need to give the server maintenance company your public key though, so they can ensure it's configured properly (or just check it yourself). Also disable the root user and only use sudo.

@Fritz said:
    From Mike last reply, I can conclude that it was a misunderstanding.

Yeah this is my interpretation too. He though the list of work was a list of things that had already been done on that server.

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

you get what you pay for is the first thing I concluded from this, and this is lowendtalk,its assumed that you have basic knowlange.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • Thanks for providing screenshot, after reading i totally get there were a misunderstanding. It's caused by JoneSolutions pasted text formating. Since the text is long without any formating, it sounds like you are sharing what JoneSolutions did on the actual host, not what was made in the past and is yet to do.

It's sad when it's happening, it happens more often we can imagine. I feel like MyW support would have to dig a bit more to understand / confirm what customer is saying instead of just validating themselve.

It's now your choice to continue with MyW, knowing misunderstanding can happen, or go back with JoneSolution, or find a local IT that can manage your service for easier communications.

Good luck, i know this kind of situation sucks and i'm sorry for you.

• JasonMJasonM Member
    edited September 2021

@skorupion said: you get what you pay for is the first thing I concluded from this

yup! MyW responds to their customer ticket damn slow. It's been 33 hours (11 AM yesterday, and right now its 8 PM on second day) and my ticket for whitelisting an IP still hasn't even looked upon!

@MikePT

• Seems to be a recurrent theme of taking on too much / promising too much with too little manpower.

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

I actually signed up in 2019 to myw wanting a server setup. I was advised it would be done the same day or next day and it wasn’t done for 3 days. (I actually forgot I signed up with them in a previous post)

I chased and apparently he was ill 😷 so it didn’t get done.

Thanked by 2JasonM drunkendog
  • @JasonM said:

@skorupion said: you get what you pay for is the first thing I concluded from this

yup! MyW responds to their customer ticket damn slow. It's been 33 hours (11 AM yesterday, and right now its 8 PM on second day) and my ticket for whitelisting an IP still hasn't even looked upon!

@MikePT

It's the weekend. That wasn't considered an emergency. If you expect weekend or overnight responses, you need to go with a bigger company.

• My English sucks, and not my native language. But your English — extremely hard to understand about what are you talking about. I do not want to offend you or stroke anyhow, but please try to explain things much easier like:

"I didn't get what I expected to get, here is screenshots, check and make your own opinion."

While reading what you were writing about, I imagine an old, very wealthy guy who read tons of books and has met with Queen Elizabeth this evening and needs to solve some problem with his servers today.

Please don't be offended by my message. Your English is magnificent, but hard to read for people who don't know English well.

About mywPT and your case.

about MywPT answers.

mywpt manager did a weird thing, he answered without help. Better to ignore and not answer at all, instead of forcing someone to wait after a response.

This is not acceptable to say: "hey, I going to sleep I will check later".

Better to say:
    "let me check... Oh, ouch, dear client you know your problem seems problematic and require some concentration and more focus on the problem for success solving, but I'm out of power right now. Tell me please, is the problem critical, or can be the website offline for some period of time like up to 24 hours? If yes and the website can wait, I will wake up and will setup everything for you with fresh head."

That's the only negative from mywPT that I've seen on your screenshots. Nothing more.

2. Server hardening bullshit.

Please don't use terminology if you don't know the terminology.
    Out of the box different providers doing their best efforts to protect their business by providing as secure as they can environment for their clients. They're professional system administrators and they can the best what and how they must do.

The things that you showed on the screenshot. I understand that someone did it for you.
    But this is the "default" procedure of many system administrators.
    If someone charges money for that, I have for you bad news.

"update system kernel",
    "installed security updates"

And so on. The whole list is some kind of bullshit.
    The list is just for "list", and for "elements of the list".
    To show it as a big amount of work, while it's not.

For sure in this list, some things are done manually, but you can reduce the whole list of 100500 elements in the list to around 5:

1.) we update the system
    2.) we disabled the compiler (wtf why they enabled it before?)
    3.) we setup software & WAF
    4.) we wrote a huge list
    5.) we put in the list duplicate positions of the same tasks to make the list bigger and your wallet more empty.

I think the guy who read your wall of text did think the same as me:
    "wtf the dude writing to me? Will he continue to fuck my brain every single time by terminology what he don't even understand?"

Summary

The case is not weird, mywpt not a scam, their services are correct and good (tried them once).
    But for sure, sometimes need to ask directly what is the problem on the client side and is it urgent or not, if urgent - need to take care of newbie clients and help them and only then go to sleep. If the problem is hard to solve, need to talk with a client and say that we're all humans and need to rest and that you will return back after rest and will help the client.

Strange case.

• @desperand I for a second didn't even want to entertain your message but here I am.

Based on my screenshot I did not throw a fit about Mike needing sleep. I allowed him to go to sleep but he didn't even start work on it until 36 hours after the request. That is unacceptable for a paid service. Platinum Server Management has a 1 hour average response time and a 3 hour average resolution time. AND THEY'RE CHEAPER!!!! If you think 36 hours is an acceptable response time than maybe I should start a server management company and let you be my first client!

Based on what I read on this forum MyW's primary business is server management. It seems as if Mike is the only person running the show which means there's no overhead cost and this is straight revenue. He should be protecting this service's reputation like it's gold....

Your troll post singled in on the wrong reason why I was upset. Again I wasn't upset he needed to go to sleep. I was upset it took 36 hours to even begin work.

Second. You love to bring attention to the list JoneSolution gave me of their work log and attempt to discredit the work they did. You again missed the point. If I am signing up for server management on a recurring basis I expect to have an expert at my disposal. If I request server hardening, I shouldn't be asked what exactly I want. That's like taking my car to a mechanic for a tune up and the mechanic asking me what parts I want to order before popping the hood. That's ludicrous.

~~~

To other people's point of view about Mike misinterpreting the log as work already done. I can absolutely understand how that was a mix up but he also assumed that was work done. A simple ssh into my server would have told a much different story as it isn't listening on port 222 like the log stated. I would be willing to forgive that mistake as it's a breakdown in communication, but that breakdown only happened after he asked me a question he shouldn't have had to ask.

My two issues are:
    1. Response time. I get it's a non emergency request but it's also a paid service and if you tell me you're going to start working on something when you wake up and then let it go on for another day that's an issue.
    2. It doesn't seem like MyW understands their type of client that would need server management. I took issue with Mike asking me what I wanted to have done after I requested server hardening. Initial server hardening should be a standard process and shouldn't need input from me.

• JasonMJasonM Member
    edited September 2021

@TimboJones said: It's the weekend. That wasn't considered an emergency. If you expect weekend or overnight responses, you need to go with a bigger company.

Never in the TOS or contract its written that there's NO SERVICE SUPPORT on weekend.

**Before purchasing the hosting-service @MikePT should have informed it on the Order-Page/Cart-Page that there is NO SUPPORT on weekend if that is so. **

As such, customers will expect support atleast within 6 hours!

If 6 hours also seem too much, then that means its quite de-graded service.

But I'm waiting for like 48 hours now!

I'll rather say avoid MYW.pt services for production sites and use is only for staging sites. It seems its similar to HostSolutions.ro who takes ages to reply to the ticket!

• @JasonM said:

@TimboJones said: It's the weekend. That wasn't considered an emergency. If you expect weekend or overnight responses, you need to go with a bigger company.

Never in the TOS or contract its written that there's NO SERVICE SUPPORT on weekend.

I'll rather say avoid MYW.pt services for production sites and use is only for staging sites. It seems its similar to HostSolutions.ro who takes ages to reply to the ticket!

Mike isn't a bad guy, you don't have to put it in legal terms to be culturally respectful.

Thanked by 1chocolateshirt
  • Ian_Dot_TechIan_Dot_Tech Member, Patron Provider

@caniac22 Genuinely curious, why did you not stick with JoneSolutions after using them before?

Thanked by 1chocolateshirt
  • @Ian_Dot_Tech said:
    @caniac22 Genuinely curious, why did you not stick with JoneSolutions after using them before?

Probably the price. Myw price is peanuts in compare to Jone.

• boka003boka003 Member
    edited September 2021

@caniac22

Why do you move from JoneSolutions to MyW ?

Is it because of price or?

There are not many options when we look for server management.
    I was able to find rack911, MYW, and JoneSolutions, there anyone else with a good reputation?

• desperanddesperand Member
    edited September 2021

@caniac22 said:

I won't argue with you. I'm totally on myw.pt side here after your last answer.
    You're a problematic toxic client in my opinion, and my opinion is based on your answers. I don't think that "any" businesses want to have such toxic clients for any money. That's why you got a refund.

• @desperand said:

@caniac22 said:

I won't argue with you. I'm totally on myw.pt side here after your last answer.
    You're a problematic toxic client in my opinion, and my opinion is based on your answers. I don't think that "any" businesses want to have such toxic clients for any money. That's why you got a refund.

How is he toxic at all ? if a server management company resolves some simple issues in 30+ hours, i will be mad too.

Also when ordering this is stated. He doesn't even know that the client is on default port 22, so he did no security scans, server hardening etc.

Our team will manage your server(s) (DirectAdmin/cPanel) in all aspects including but not limited to monthly security scans, server hardening, initial setup and maintenance, installation of third-party plugins. Your server(s) will be monitored 24/7.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@desperand said: won't argue with you. I'm totally on myw.pt side here after your last answer.
    You're a problematic toxic client in my opinion, and my opinion is based on your answers. >I don't think that "any" businesses want to have such toxic clients for any money. That's why you got a refund.

Overreact much?

Thanked by 2deadpool pepa65
  • @Ian_Dot_Tech said:

@boka003 said:
    @caniac22

Why do you move from JoneSolutions to MyW ?

Is it because of price or?

There are not many options when we look for server management.
    I was able to find rack911, MYW, and JoneSolutions, there anyone else with a good reputation?

It was really quarterly billing. At the time it was $120/qtr and COVID was happening so I cut major expenses. Now it’s $150/qtr which just prices me out unfortunately. I run a web server for some of my websites I like to tinker with, and friends/family business sites. I also run a small Minecraft server on a separate vps instance on the same machine. Due to the nature of what I use a server for I don’t want to lose my ass on paying for something I will hardly use. In the 6 months I had JoneSolutions I submitted 2 tickets.

You might ask why I don’t do hourly bill if I don’t submit many tickets? It’s simple I don’t trust a lot of people.

Thanked by 2Ian_Dot_Tech iKeyZ