Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hostmantis won't honor active recurring promotional code - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hostmantis won't honor active recurring promotional code

Comments

• I had similar experience with them. Services were quiet stable and one of my friends new organization was hosted there. Shared hosting with rare utilization.. First time they increased price from to somewhere around 18$. I paid the raised amount considering no fuss hosting. Later price increased to 10x and i asked them to shift to direct admin hosting..

My surprise,they starting asking extra other than hosting price for shifting a small word press blog with 5 pages.

Didn't take much headache. Just found another host and moved the wordpress in next 1 hr.

Quite unprofessional i would say..

Thanked by 2Ympker JasonM
  • I stuck with Hostmantis even through the price hike as the service is stable and I feel it’s a hassle to change provider considering I have about 30 sub accounts in my Reseller plan.

As I didn’t want to upgrade to the next cPanel tier (cost was too high for me), I asked them if they would move my account to DA instead. They wanted a 19.95 fee to do this and I questioned them about this. Basically their reply was to tell me to get out if I don’t like their pricing. Which I did.

Thanked by 2webcraft hostkar
  • @Kobian said:
    I stuck with Hostmantis even through the price hike as the service is stable and I feel it’s a hassle to change provider considering I have about 30 sub accounts in my Reseller plan.

As I didn’t want to upgrade to the next cPanel tier (cost was too high for me), I asked them if they would move my account to DA instead. They wanted a 19.95 fee to do this and I questioned them about this. Basically their reply was to tell me to get out if I don’t like their pricing. Which I did.

Damn, talk about a PR department they got there (or not).

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • spunspun Member

I'm still with them. They've been stable and decent speed compared to several of the hosts on here. The thing that gets me mad on these price hikes is the lack of communication and not giving you the ability to lock in the price before the hikes. I think they should at least give a small window to lock in pricing.

I locked myself in on pricing for a couple of years prepaid. After this I'll see where the market is and decide whether to stay or not. I have several other reseller accounts but they are one of my favorite out of all of them.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@woohoo said:

@angstrom said: Well, I recall that you were acting insufferably back then

Yes.

Okay, at least you admit it :)

@angstrom said: Back then, it was the cPanel price hike that was the cause

No.

If I may ask, in three sentences or less, why not? Wasn't the cPanel price hike the initial/main factor behind HM's decision to reduce the discounts?

• @angstrom said:
    If I may ask, in three sentences or less, why not? Wasn't the cPanel price hike the initial/main factor behind HM's decision to reduce the discounts?

Jesus Christ, you just gave sugar to the hyper 3-year old at bedtime.

• @TimboJones said:

@angstrom said:

Jesus

Jesus did it.

• JasonMJasonM Member
    edited August 2021

@Cyberdigital said: My surprise,they starting asking extra other than hosting price for shifting a small word press blog with 5 pages.

@Kobian said: They wanted a 19.95 fee to do this and I questioned them about this. Basically their reply was to tell me to get out if I don’t like their pricing

that's called greed of money. Such greed will take them out of business soon. Also the more Hostmantis customers write here, the more its revealing how rude their customer support is. Seems they hate people renewing for more than one term!

• It seems almost everyone is ready to leave them if an alternate plan with 3GB Ram and other matching specs are found with another provider. So providers here can come up with a plan.
    Who will ride the horse 🐎?

• bikegremlinbikegremlin Member
    edited August 2021

Came for the MXroute discount, and found this. :)

They did go back on their lifetime price/discount promise twice. :)
    They deleted my automated reseller account backup jobs (not the already created backups themselves) to my cloud storage - twice. <3
    Disabled Softaculous WordPress website import/export.

Uptime, stability, and performance are probably (among) the best I've experienced.

The first price hike was from 50$ to 150$ per three years - with the number of cPanel accounts cut in half.
    The second price hike was from 150$ to 610$, with the number of cPanel accounts increased back to the original (sign-up) number, more storage space, and 1.5 vCPU per account limit (from 1.0) - this gave a noticeable performance boost, so I suppose their servers aren't overloaded.
    So it is a 600% price increase accompanied by a resource increase (I must give them that, it can be noticed and measured).

I was willing to accept the price hikes, it's the backups that got me most worried.
    On the other hand - I can keep an eye on those (not considering it a set-and-forget thing), and I never needed them with this provider. Everything just works, which saves me time and hassle.

My renewal is due in May next year. The price, compared to the others is OK, especially considering performance. The... how to call it... "fluctuating" business policy is what worries me.

Moving to another provider is always a bit of an adventure. Even the very expensive, highly reputable providers have their own peculiarities, problems (IMO the difference between the good and the bad ones is whether they fix problems within a reasonable time and make the effort of preventing the same problems from reoccurring, but stuff will always get "broken" in one way or another).

Websites are working fine, I'm making sure to keep backups (that's regardless of the provider as far as I'm concerned), and I've got almost one year to decide where (and whether) to move.

And I know that everything changes, with every provider. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. The best I can figure is: always be prepared to move (and expect price hikes, regardless of the provider).

Trying to be as objective (analytical) and as cool-headed as possible:
    The hosting quality is very, very good.
    Technical support is competent (not nearly as good as Gnu-Host, for example, but they get the stuff done).

Would I recommend them? I'm using their services for most of my websites. That's as honest a recommendation as it gets. I just make sure to share my experience, because I expect most "normal" people to find that unacceptable. :)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@bikegremlin said:

Your signature is 4 lines.

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • @FAT32 said:

@bikegremlin said:

Your signature is 4 lines.

Fixed.
    ...Unless you find it distracting. :)

Thanked by 1FAT32
  • @JasonM said:

@Cyberdigital said: My surprise,they starting asking extra other than hosting price for shifting a small word press blog with 5 pages.

@Kobian said: They wanted a 19.95 fee to do this and I questioned them about this. Basically their reply was to tell me to get out if I don’t like their pricing

that's called greed of money. Such greed will take them out of business soon. Also the more Hostmantis customers write here, the more its revealing how rude their customer support is. Seems they hate people renewing for more than one term!

Honestly, this is the first time a provider tell me GTFO. Most provider asked me why I canceled their services and asked if there is something they can do.

Thanked by 2bikegremlin JasonM
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@TimboJones said:

@angstrom said:

Jesus Christ, you just gave sugar to the hyper 3-year old at bedtime.

But at least I specified "in three sentences or less" :)

(But, yes, probably better not to go that way)

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @yokowasis said:

@JasonM said:

Honestly, this is the first time a provider tell me GTFO. Most provider asked me why I canceled their services and asked if there is something they can do.

I think their answer (you quoted) explains it:
    "If pricing is not acceptable to you in any way, it is completely your choice to simply not renew your service with us and find another host that may be willing to provide you a lower quality service and a lesser amount of features that are more inline with your pricing expectations."

It's not what either you or I like to hear, but it is a no-bullshit reply.

And I don't think it's reasonable to expect a large/medium sized business to be up-front with their plans and to publicly own their actions if that puts them at the risk of any lawsuits.
    I hate that - but it seems to be the way capitalism works. Larger ones eating the smaller ones, and everyone struggling.

HostMantis seem to have decided to try playing a premium hosting provider.
    Pricing and service quality are there.
    It just boils down to whether they will have enough customers using that business model, or switch back to being a budget provider (or deadpool). We'll see.

And it's not very nice going back on one's word. Definitely.
    Still - the alternative option was deadpooling, or a serious service quality deterioration.
    If they asked me - I'd choose to pay more. In a perfect world, they'd put more faith in their customers and make a vote (the problem with that is that my vote would probably count as much as a vote from a person with twice/half my knowledge and experience, or higher/lower/different ethical standards).

The mistake was made long ago - with the promise of recurring lifetime prices, without having a plan for the infrastructure price hikes. Now, whatever they choose has to suck - one way, or another. They seem to be still struggling to find a marketing, and business model that works for them.

But the service quality has only improved, not deteriorated over the years, at least in my experience.

Go figure... it is a "strange" provider. :)

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited August 2021

@bikegremlin said: They deleted my automated reseller account backup jobs

They do still allow one external backup job from JetBackup, better than the majority of providers. They stated it was a performance concern which I get with so many running backups to external providers. I don't even think it is something that works on DirectAdmin at all, only cPanel.

Not that I have been looking but yet to come across another provider that enables external backups on cPanel or whether it can now be done on DA.

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • @Lee said:

@bikegremlin said: They deleted my automated reseller account backup jobs

They do still allow one external backup job from JetBackup, better than the majority of providers. They stated it was a performance concern which I get with so many running backups to external providers. I don't even think it is something that works on DirectAdmin at all, only cPanel.

Not that I have been looking but yet to come across another provider that enables external backups on cPanel or whether it can now be done on DA.

That's true - and very nice of them (not being sarcastic).

I'm finishing some testing to confirm and then I plan to write an article on external backups - for both DirectAdmin and cPanel resellers.

So far I've made an article on JetBackup, but since JetBackup has made a new version, those backups aren't what they used to be. I've found an alternative solution that makes "normal" backups (not dependant on JetBackup for restoration or editing).

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • LeeLee Veteran

Does anyone know other similar providers that do provide external backups through JetBackup?

One of the reasons I don't fuss too much about a provider and their future is when I don't need to worry about my data. But I suspect there arent too many that are both good in terms of performance and offer external backups.

• I have services with them because they have Singapore Reseller with cPanel.
    And they allow LVE Manager at reseller level.
    There server is very stable.
    But I am paying 202$USD for a service from $14 USD, Still using.
    Main issue with them is They have only 12 Hours of Support in a Day. Maybe there don't do anything at night.
    There server was 95% disk space full, but if you inform them they will not do anything, then it will be completely full and the server will go offline. then they will resolve the issue.
    If your website is goes down for a small issue and you contact them to fix but No luck , you have to wait till there morning. because they have 12hours support in a day.

But still using because no other provider provide this what I want.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@buzzyLET said:

@MikePT said:

@buzzyLET said:
    Don't screw with these guys. Wayyy back when I got into Lowend hosting they were offering even more unsustainable deals. I recommended them to friends even. Their support was super rude to me and led to me and the friends I'd invited to leave the service and ask for a refund. At the time on LET it was all suck it up, whatever, aaand then they started with theirs shady billing practices that just keep getting worse.

A lot of people on LET will defend rude providers and tell customers to get over it or whatever but in my experience every time I've noticed that happening (HostDoc is one I can remember) things always go south afterwards.

It's not just good business to be accountable and treat your customers with respect. Providers acting like this are usually indicative of deeper issues and are a red flag for the business being shady in the future.

I can recommend @MikePT whole hearteadly due to this. He's always so positive and kind in his messages here and I feel totally comfortable with the service in terms of accountability going forward.

Thanks mate!! That's a very sweet post! We appreciate it. We are a very small company but do have passion for what we do and for our customers!

It shows and I support you!! If anyone wants a model of how a provider should be handling customer service and public issues here on LET it's @MikePT :) accountability and positivity go a long way!

Thanks for the kind words mate! I can tell you that last week was great finishing the new house's painting, but, support was quite bad as I didn't have much time!

@JasonM said:

@MikePT said: Thanks mate!! That's a very sweet post! We appreciate it. We are a very small company but do have passion for what we do and for our customers!

@notarobo said: there are people who honestly need your help to pay for furnitures. help them instead.

I like Mike's transparency! Such businesses attract more loyalty from patrons.

Thank you! <3

• @Lee said:
    Does anyone know other similar providers that do provide external backups through JetBackup?

ExtraVM with JetBackup and resources similar/better than HM.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited August 2021

@kidrock said: ExtraVM with JetBackup and resources similar/better than HM.

By external backups I am referring to allowing the reseller to add their own external backup location to JetBackup such as AWS.

Thanked by 1kidrock
  • MyW.pt from @MikePT support JetBackups that going to your server via SSH/rsync

Thanked by 2Ympker MikePT

@chocolateshirt said:
    MyW.pt from @MikePT support JetBackups that going to your server via SSH/rsync

We do indeed. SSH/Rsync is recommended for sure.

• LeeLee Veteran

SSH/Rsync is still a hassle vs simply adding your own destination to JetBackup.

• LeeLee Veteran

@bikegremlin said: That's true - and very nice of them (not being sarcastic).

Although a member here sent me a message to say they don't offer it anymore. So I just signed up for a new reseller to find out myself and confirmed. Adding your own destinations on JetBackup has been removed.

• @angstrom said:

@woohoo said:

@angstrom said: Well, I recall that you were acting insufferably back then

Yes.

Okay, at least you admit it :)

@angstrom said: Back then, it was the cPanel price hike that was the cause

No.

Because their increase was several hundred percentages over the cPanel price hike. It's like saying that the price is going to double because of the 3 % inflation.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • webclouddevwebclouddev Member
    edited August 2021

@Lee said:

@bikegremlin said: That's true - and very nice of them (not being sarcastic).

Although a member here sent me a message to say they don't offer it anymore. So I just signed up for a new reseller to find out myself and confirmed. Adding your own destinations on JetBackup has been removed.

Strange, to confirm this i had opened ticket asking them to enable this option for me and they did

`Hello,

JetBackup 5, destinations and backup job creation permissions have been enabled for you.

Please note the following policies regarding JetBackup:

Local destination is not allowed. All destinations created are to be remote only
    Resellers are allowed 1 backup job per reseller
    Resellers may schedule their backup job to run 1 time every 24 hours
    Additional backup jobs created or backup jobs that run more than once every 24 hours will be removed without prior notification.

** If you have any additional questions you can simply reply to this ticket at any time, which will re-open the ticket for you. **
    `

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited August 2021

@webclouddev said: Strange, to confirm this i had opened ticket asking them to enable this option for me and they did

Ah, ok, you have to request it now, that is new.

Edit - Fair Play to HM, I opened a ticket and they quickly enabled it.