Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SmallWeb Has Been Acquired By NexusBytes LLC - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SmallWeb Has Been Acquired By NexusBytes LLC

Comments

• @iKeyZ said:

@seriesn said:

@default said: A company was bought without informing customers in advance.

@default said: And thanks for buying SmallWeb without informing customers.

Sometimes, you just like to write random stuff I guess? Good habit. Quality time pass while taking dump.

This point is kind of legit though.. normally customers would be informed from the previous owner that the company is being sold prior to it happening. Gives time for the user to know what's coming and also remove themselves if they wish to.

I got informed on the 1st Aug and then transferred the same day with no prior warning with double welcome emails appearing in my inbox over the next two days. The point that I don't have an active service doesn't help either, so it's just transferring my details.

Aha! My bad and I do apologies for the confusion. Please pop in a ticket and you have the right to be forgotten :)

I know Michael did have small issue with outgoing emails and maxing out hourly limits. We switched over to Mailgun to ensure that part never happens again. Communication is key.

Thanked by 2MichaelCee adly
  • @iKeyZ said:

@seriesn said:

Sometimes, you just like to write random stuff I guess? Good habit. Quality time pass while taking dump.

This point is kind of legit though.. normally customers would be informed from the previous owner that the company is being sold prior to it happening. Gives time for the user to know what's coming and also remove themselves if they wish to.

I got informed on the 1st Aug and then transferred the same day with no prior warning with double welcome emails appearing in my inbox over the next two days. The point that I don't have an active service doesn't help either, so it's just transferring my details.

Thank you for answering. This is my point exactly, but @seriesn wishes to ignore it. I hate NexusBytes for their ignorance, even though I became their customer from this sale.

• @redcat said:

Thanked by 1redcat
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited August 2021

@seriesn said:

@iKeyZ said:

@seriesn said:

Aha! My bad and I do apologies for the confusion. Please pop in a ticket and you have the right to be forgotten :)

I know Michael did have small issue with outgoing emails and maxing out hourly limits. We switched over to Mailgun to ensure that part never happens again. Communication is key.

I opened such a ticket (#6795676) to get my account and data deleted (minus the data you are legally obliged to keep for tax/legal purposes) as I have no active service and until the aquisition kind of forgot about the account there. Since GDPR happened, I try to only opt for EU providers these days anyway (my lawyer reminds me to do this about every time we talk) and I currently don't need another service. Did not know which support department to choose (technical or billing) but opted for billing since I assumed that would also be accounting related. Hope that's alright :)

Let me know if you open another sub-branch in an official EU country, though ;)

Thanked by 1default
  • adlyadly Veteran

@seriesn said:
    If you are looking for drama, this ain’t it boss.

You’re the only one talking about drama. I’m looking to understand how a provider can accidentally delete a server, push most of the blame on to the customer, and essentially get away with it.

@seriesn said:
    Only mistake I made was not setting a calendar reminder to extend the service for a broader period. So once the extension expired, automation did, what automation is best known for.

It wasn’t me going, oopsie, what does this button do moment.

Maybe it’s no big deal to you, but ‘only’ forgetting something that ends up with the customers server and data deleted should never happen.

@seriesn said:
    Also, I/we don’t provide live support. But that doesn’t mean when someone reaches out, who you have known for a while, I just push them to open a ticket. I help out whenever I can.

That’s understandable - but if you accept the request, regardless of contact method, that’s on you. It benefits nobody to accept the request if there’s potential that it won’t be handled. Either log it so it’s handled or tell the person you can’t take the request by chat.

@seriesn said:
    So yes, that’s on me and @MichaelCee all together.

Do you not remember, how I at my own will, came out in that outage thread and accepted partial fault?

Partial fault? I’m sorry but as much as @MichaelCee has done to take responsibility, which is laudable, the underlying issue of deleting the server is 100% your fault. Yes you came to the outage thread and accepted ‘partial fault’ at your own will - why wouldn’t you? You caused the problem!

You’re clearly a well respected and top rated provider here, and from what I’ve seen that reputation is well deserved, but I feel you’re not really taking this issue as seriously as it is and are passing off most of the blame. There’s no intent to cause drama - the situation is over and the business is in your hands now - but it would be good to see your actual share of the blame and the severity of what was done acknowledged.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

You can't please everyone.

• @adly said:

@seriesn said:
    If you are looking for drama, this ain’t it boss.

You’re the only one talking about drama. I’m looking to understand how a provider can accidentally delete a server, push most of the blame on to the customer, and essentially get away with it.

@seriesn said:
    Only mistake I made was not setting a calendar reminder to extend the service for a broader period. So once the extension expired, automation did, what automation is best known for.

It wasn’t me going, oopsie, what does this button do moment.

Maybe it’s no big deal to you, but ‘only’ forgetting something that ends up with the customers server and data deleted should never happen.

@seriesn said:
    Also, I/we don’t provide live support. But that doesn’t mean when someone reaches out, who you have known for a while, I just push them to open a ticket. I help out whenever I can.

That’s understandable - but if you accept the request, regardless of contact method, that’s on you. It benefits nobody to accept the request if there’s potential that it won’t be handled. Either log it so it’s handled or tell the person you can’t take the request by chat.

@seriesn said:
    So yes, that’s on me and @MichaelCee all together.

Do you not remember, how I at my own will, came out in that outage thread and accepted partial fault?

Partial fault? I’m sorry but as much as @MichaelCee has done to take responsibility, which is laudable, the underlying issue of deleting the server is 100% your fault. Yes you came to the outage thread and accepted ‘partial fault’ at your own will - why wouldn’t you? You caused the problem!

You’re clearly a well respected and top rated provider here, and from what I’ve seen that reputation is well deserved, but I feel you’re not really taking this issue as seriously as it is and are passing off most of the blame. There’s no intent to cause drama - the situation is over and the business is in your hands now - but it would be good to see your actual share of the blame and the severity of what was done acknowledged.

Thank you for the detailed clarification. I can see how I may have read it wrong (I guess I came in here with LET drama thought process) and I do apologize if my answers came out wrong.

I have apologized to our direct client, who was Michale, compensated him for the service payment and that was it. We did what was right by our direct client in question and both parted away in happy terms. From the business side, we both shook hands and came to terms that worked for both of us.

If you were a smalllweb LTD customer who was impacted by this, before you became NexusBytes LLC customer, sadly, I do not have the liberty nor the luxury to do anything about that.

I do understand that the community expects us to disclose more details about this incident to people, who weren’t our direct client at that time.

Unfortunately I and we can’t do that as the nature of our conversation is confidential and only stays between the involved parties.

If the same were to happen now, I would have sent an RFO to every customers and posted details here as well, since now smallweb customers are our customers.

However that wasn’t the case before that.

Hope I made myself clear?

• @Ympker said:

@seriesn said:

@iKeyZ said:

@seriesn said:

I opened such a ticket (#6795676) to get my account and data deleted (minus the data you are legally obliged to keep for tax/legal purposes) as I have no active service and until the aquisition kind of forgot about the account there. Since GDPR happened, I try to only opt for EU providers these days anyway (my lawyer reminds me to do this about every time we talk) and I currently don't need another service. Did not know which support department to choose (technical or billing) but opted for billing since I assumed that would also be accounting related. Hope that's alright :)

@Ympker said:

@seriesn said:

@iKeyZ said:

@seriesn said:

You got it jeffe! Will get you sorted in couple of hours once we cleanup some other pending tasks.

Thanked by 2Ympker MichaelCee
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited August 2021

@seriesn said:

@Ympker said:

@seriesn said:

@iKeyZ said:

@seriesn said:

@Ympker said:

@seriesn said:

@iKeyZ said:

@seriesn said:

You got it jeffe! Will get you sorted in couple of hours once we cleanup some other pending tasks.

Thanks, it's all good! Not in a hurry :) Just something to get done. A bit less data of me floating around in the web. I do only have one account, though (you double quoted me) ;)

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • I only hope it will be possible to request account deletion a few years from now, after active services reach their end.

• noobjockeysnoobjockeys Member
    edited August 2021

Is smallweb.net a UK company transferring data outside the European Union????

Or have I got the wrong smallweb....

• @noobjockeys said:
    Is smallweb.net a UK company transferring data outside the European Union????

Yes. Company is now in USA.

• noobjockeysnoobjockeys Member
    edited August 2021

"The GDPR imposes restrictions on the transfer of personal data outside the European Union, to third-party countries or international organisations, to ensure that the level of protection of individuals afforded by the GDPR is not undermined."

"The UK GDPR restricts the transfer of personal data to countries outside the UK or to international organisations. These restrictions apply to all transfers, no matter the size of transfer or how often you carry them out."

So has the data actually been moved to USA so customers data is now hosted on a server in the states?

Thanked by 3default yoursunny _MS_
  • @default said:
    I only hope it will be possible to request account deletion a few years from now, after active services reach their end.

You are free to cancel today if you aren’t feeling much productive.

Thanked by 1default
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited August 2021

@seriesn said:

@default said:
    I only hope it will be possible to request account deletion a few years from now, after active services reach their end.

You are free to cancel today if you aren’t feeling much productive.

Thank you. I will ponder on it.

• @iKeyZ said:

You don't seem to have attended many companies being sold then.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@noobjockeys said: So has the data actually been moved to USA so customers data is now hosted on a server in the states?

No it's currently hosted in London.

Thanked by 2noobjockeys seriesn
  • @noobjockeys said:
    "The GDPR imposes restrictions on the transfer of personal data outside the European Union, to third-party countries or international organisations, to ensure that the level of protection of individuals afforded by the GDPR is not undermined."

"The UK GDPR restricts the transfer of personal data to countries outside the UK or to international organisations. These restrictions apply to all transfers, no matter the size of transfer or how often you carry them out."

So has the data actually been moved to USA so customers data is now hosted on a server in the states?

Good point. Sadly, information is hidden by Cloudflare.

• @Jord said: No it's currently hosted in London.

Thats that settled then.

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • @MichaelCee said:

@ramesh_vish said:
    I have a math problem.

I paid 10$ to Teradelta during a BF deal for lifetime hosting.. Smallweb acquired them (the transition email said existing deals and prices will be honored).. Now Nexusbytes acquires SW. So do I still have the lifetime deal?

Hi @ramesh_vish

I don't remember the details of this, and I do not know the intentions of the new provider.

But if they intend to charge a renewal and your service is not 100's per year I will pay for 5 years of your service in advance during the next renewal.*

Please send me any communication (plan info, communication regarding honoring).

I do apologise if it comes down to that and you're unsatisfied with 5 years, but if what you say is what you say I can't simply leave you with nothing.

Reach out at (me @ michaelcee.xyz)

*Subject to confirmation of any renewal rates

Thanks for responding. I will send you an email and I hope we can work out a good deal. It now shows as a 20GBP/yr plan.

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • @Zerpy said:

@iKeyZ said:

Yeah, there's a distinct lack in this thread of what we'd call "general business knowledge and experience."

In what universe would clients get a heads up that a business transaction is about to happen? Sheesh...

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran

@Zerpy said:

@iKeyZ said:

You would normally get a heads-up, especially if it comes down to billing information needing to be changed. From what I've seen in the past within the hosting-side of business, most will get notified - even in this case they did, although on the same day as the transfer, hence the complaints.

Maybe it's different from where you / @aj_potc are from, although I have been notified many times when suppliers get taken over.

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • @iKeyZ said:
    Maybe it's different from where you / @aj_potc are from, although I have been notified many times when suppliers get taken over.

My point is that a business transaction like a merger or acquisition doesn't automatically invalidate laws relating to the acquired entity. So, there's no reason to ask users for any kind of permission or inform them in advance until something changes.

I just don't see any evidence that NexusBytes has done something improper simply by acquiring a company outside the US. Besides, the existence of the GDPR in the EU (and whatever the UK uses) doesn't necessarily imply that a company in the US doesn't follow similar or even more stringent policies related to personal information handling.

Thanked by 3bdl MichaelCee Arkas
  • @aj_potc said:

I just don't see any evidence that NexusBytes has done something improper simply by acquiring a company outside the US.

It's not about something improper. It's about informing the customers. The provider will respectfully want their money, hence why the acquisition. Customers are not some cattle ready to be traded or milked when a provider wants to.

• @default said:

It's not about something improper. It's about informing the customers. The provider will respectfully want their money, hence why the acquisition. Customers are not some cattle ready to be traded or milked when a provider wants to.

How were the customers not informed?

Companies are acquired every day. Many times the change is transparent, and the old company is operated as a separate brand or division. Notification is a courtesy and good business practice, no doubt. But you write as if you expected to be consulted about it and play some part in the process. That isn't how it works. The existing contracts are assets of the acquired company. If you're unhappy with the arrangement, and the acquiring company doesn't live up to the contract terms, you have all legal avenues available to you that you had before.

• @aj_potc said:

[...] Notification is a courtesy and good business practice, no doubt. [...]

Glad we are on the same page. Thank you.

• @default said:

@aj_potc said:

[...] Notification is a courtesy and good business practice, no doubt. [...]

Glad we are on the same page. Thank you.

Surely!

Since notification did occur here, I assume you must be writing about some other acquisition that was handled differently, in which case I have no idea what your point could be (or why it's relevant to this thread at all).

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited August 2021

I have to say, I am slightly confused by the “no notification” comments, as this is a thread that copy and pastes the notification that was sent.

Granted, I can empathise with @iKeyZ point in regards to timing. Had my email configuration been compatible, most users would have received an email 10-12 hours earlier. I understand this is not a lot of extra time but it is a mistake I own up to.

From recent personal experience, I was a customer of a company who recently sold to another company and the goodbye and hello emails were both within 48 hours.

I can understand that several days would perhaps be preferable to some users.

I can also understand if you would have appreciated more insight and knowledge of the behind the scenes.

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • @adly said:
    @default agreed - just surprised at how quickly it has blown over / been ‘forgiven’. Can’t image many other providers could get away with as little drama. Maybe it’s due to the small number of people affected.

Where's the thread with the topic "NexusBytes deleted all my shit for no reason"? That I would have noticed. Otherwise, it was first I heard about it was just now from you (not a Nexus Bytes customer).

• Wasn't there a recent failed acquisition with another Michael just recently where announcing the company was acquired before due diligence or the company transfer closing or something to that effect? I wondered why they announced it so early, I don't know where this expectation for advance notice on a non-publicly trading company some people here have.