Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SmallWeb Has Been Acquired By NexusBytes LLC - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SmallWeb Has Been Acquired By NexusBytes LLC

Comments

• Congratulations. Will NexusBytes still continue to provide Shared Hosting?

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@malignify said:
    Congratulations. Will NexusBytes still continue to provide Shared Hosting?

Yes it will and via SmallWeb too

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • @seriesn said:
    We are part of fortune cookie 500! Very delicious. Much wisdom.

• @malignify said:
    Congratulations. Will NexusBytes still continue to provide Shared Hosting?

Each brand will run on its own with very different focus and vision :)

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • coldcold Member

will there be any offers to celebrate the deal ? :D

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited August 2021

@cold said:

Once the dust settles. Who knows. @Jord ?

Thanked by 2cold MichaelCee
  • Bravo! ,
    We have been using NexusBytes for several of their products and we are very satisfied.

Thanked by 2seriesn MichaelCee
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@seriesn said:

@cold said:

This panada doesn't reveal anything ;)

• Curious: Does this mean that previously UK/EU controlled customer data is now held by a US company (implying with substantially worse regulation) / were customers allowed to opt out of their data being sold beforehand?

• @Jord said:

@seriesn said:

@cold said:

This panada doesn't reveal anything ;)

Sounds like a Spanish Panda.

• I have a math problem.

I paid 10$ to Teradelta during a BF deal for lifetime hosting.. Smallweb acquired them (the transition email said existing deals and prices will be honored).. Now Nexusbytes acquires SW. So do I still have the lifetime deal?

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@yoursunny said:
    1. N deletes S server, causing their clients to lose billions of dollars.
    2. Clients sue S to recover billions of dollars.
    3. S sues N for multi billions of dollars.
    4. N buys S to avoid lawsuit.
    5. Clients cannot sue S because S doesn't exist anymore.

Francisco

• @ramesh_vish said:
    I have a math problem.

I paid 10$ to Teradelta during a BF deal for lifetime hosting.. Smallweb acquired them (the transition email said existing deals and prices will be honored).. Now Nexusbytes acquires SW. So do I still have the lifetime deal?

That's a policy problem.

Short answer, it should, since Smallweb still exists and wasn't dissolved.

SmallWeb will remain a separate brand for NexusBytes.

• adlyadly Veteran

I’m surprised there isn’t more ‘hate’ around NexusBytes deleting one of SmallWeb’s servers around a week ago. Sure @MichaelCee took most of the blame (which I don’t accept, if someone accepts a request, ‘official channel’ not, any reasonable person would expect it to be a actioned).

I know @seriesn is ‘prem’ and somewhat of a legend around these parts, but getting away so easily with what most would consider a “never event” is remarkable.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited August 2021

@aiden1 said:
    Curious: Does this mean that previously UK/EU controlled customer data is now held by a US company (implying with substantially worse regulation) / were customers allowed to opt out of their data being sold beforehand?

No. I am customer of SmallWeb. I was never contacted beforehand. Hence why I hate NexusBytes even more than before.

@adly said:
    I’m surprised there isn’t more ‘hate’ around NexusBytes deleting one of SmallWeb’s servers around a week ago. Sure @MichaelCee took most of the blame (which I don’t accept, if someone accepts a request, ‘official channel’ not, any reasonable person would expect it to be a actioned).

I know @seriesn is ‘prem’ and somewhat of a legend around these parts, but getting away so easily with what most would consider a “never event” is remarkable.

There is not much anyone can do at this point. They bought the company, and they are also featured on LET. Creating noise and drama would not solve anything, because NexusBytes already pulled the trigger of that important and volatile weapon which controls the whole world: money.

A customer of SmallWeb has only 2 options now: continue to pay, or cancel their services. I decided to cancel when all invested credit will be consumed by my services.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@adly said:

Yeah, the deletion of that London server was definitely a major mistake, and had it negatively affected more LET users, we probably would have heard more outcry, but in such situations, it certainly helps if the provider in question is generally liked and trusted (i.e., has a good standing).

(I had an account on that server, but I didn't lose anything.)

Thanked by 1adly
  • adlyadly Veteran

@default agreed - just surprised at how quickly it has blown over / been ‘forgiven’. Can’t image many other providers could get away with as little drama. Maybe it’s due to the small number of people affected.

• @adly said: NexusBytes deleting one of SmallWeb’s servers

Wait, what?

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited August 2021

@angstrom said:

@adly said:

Yeah, the deletion of that London server was definitely a major mistake, and had it negatively affected more LET users, we probably would have heard more outcry, but in such situations, it certainly helps if the provider in question is generally liked and trusted (i.e., has a good standing).

(I had an account on that server, but I didn't lose anything.)

Tbh, I was also quite surprised as to how fast this blew over. Not to say I wish it had escalated more but with this happening to another provider we might have seen threads 100 pages and longer as this is usually the drama many people here are looking for.

Thanked by 3adly angstrom AndrewL64
  • adlyadly Veteran
    edited August 2021

Personally I’m fine with it blowing over; it is what it is. I’m just not too keen on @MichaelCee taking 100% of the blame for it. Sure, he said essentially ‘I fucked up’ but I don’t buy it and I don’t like the framing of it as a ‘mutual’ issue by @seriesn.

From what we know, @MichaelCee requested something through a ‘non-official’ channel (though presumably typical for them) and @seriesn forgot to make the changes based on what was agreed. That in no way is @MichaelCee fault - if @seriesn was unwilling or incapable of fulfilling the request and they accepted it through the ‘non-official’ channel then that’s on them.

Prem or not, at the end of the day NexusBytes incorrectly deleted a server of a client and have pretty much came out unscathed.

Thanked by 1default
  • iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran
    edited August 2021

Agree with the above, although I was more unhappy with the 0 notice for this

were customers allowed to opt out of their data being sold beforehand?

I got an email on August 1st which stated

As of 1st August 2021, SmallWeb will become a part of NexusBytes LLC
    and your service contracts will be managed by NexusBytes LLC going
    forward.

No notice and no option to opt out of my details being transferred over - I didn't even have an active service at the time.

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited August 2021

@adly said:
    Personally I’m fine with it blowing over; it is what it is. I’m just not too keen on @MichaelCee taking 100% of the blame for it. Sure, he said essentially ‘I fucked up’ but I don’t buy it and I don’t like the framing of it as a ‘mutual’ issue by @seriesn.

From what we know, @MichaelCee requested something through a ‘non-official’ channel (though presumably typical for them) and @seriesn forgot to make the changes based on what was agreed. That in no way is @MichaelCee fault - if @seriesn was unwilling or incapable of fulfilling the request and they accepted it through the ‘non-official’ channel then that’s on them.

Prem or not, at the end of the day NexusBytes incorrectly deleted a server of a client and have pretty much came out unscathed.

If you are looking for drama, this ain’t it boss.

We extended the service for an extended period without any financial gain to help out our family members business.

Only mistake I made was not setting a calendar reminder to extend the service for a broader period. So once the extension expired, automation did, what automation is best known for.

It wasn’t me going, oopsie, what does this button do moment.

Also, I/we don’t provide live support. But that doesn’t mean when someone reaches out, who you have known for a while, I just push them to open a ticket. I help out whenever I can.

So yes, that’s on me and @MichaelCee all together.

Do you not remember, how I at my own will, came out in that outage thread and accepted partial fault?

Thanks for the concern though.

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • zafouharzafouhar Veteran
    edited August 2021

@seriesn said:

@adly said:

We extended the service for an extended period without any financial gain to help out our family members business.

Only mistake I made was not setting a calendar reminder to extend the service for a broader period. So once the extension expired, automation did, what automation is best known for.

I thought that family is family and you always test everything on family members first and then to customers. :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited August 2021

@seriesn said:

@adly said:

Sorry to inform you: this is a drama. A server was deleted without consent. A company was bought without informing customers in advance.

Good. But this does not change the fact that a server was deleted.

Congratulations. You are the first provider I know to ever blame the calendar on LET. We have seen providers blaming employees, or inflation, or datacenters. But I don't think anyone ever blamed the calendar. This blame on "calendar" should work on PMS too.

This is not an excuse. People are NOT blaming you for being incompetent. You are NOT a victim of an accident, nor a a victim of stupidity. In fact you are not a victim, you are a provider! So step up and be a man.

Also, I/we don’t provide live support. But that doesn’t mean when someone reaches out, who you have known for a while, I just push them to open a ticket. I help out whenever I can.

It also depends how you help. The fact that you bought a company who was doing just fine, can't be considered as "helping" from my perspective as customer.

So yes, that’s on me and @MichaelCee all together.

Yes. You are responsible for this drama.

Do you not remember, how I at my own will, came out in that outage thread and accepted partial fault?

The fact that you take responsibility is not enough. What do you do to improve? What steps have you taken to prevent this? What promise do customers get?

Tomorrow you may go into involucration and say "we have a partial fault". History will repeat as with HostSolutions - but the only difference is that you will blame the calendar... karma is a b*tch

And thanks for buying SmallWeb without informing customers.

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited August 2021

@ramesh_vish said:
    I have a math problem.

Hi @ramesh_vish

I don't remember the details of this, and I do not know the intentions of the new provider.

But if they intend to charge a renewal and your service is not 100's per year I will pay for 5 years of your service in advance during the next renewal.*

Please send me any communication (plan info, communication regarding honoring).

I do apologise if it comes down to that and you're unsatisfied with 5 years, but if what you say is what you say I can't simply leave you with nothing.

Reach out at (me @ michaelcee.xyz)

*Subject to confirmation of any renewal rates

Thanked by 1abytecurious
  • Thanked by 1seriesn
  • seriesnseriesn Member
    edited August 2021

@default said: Sorry to inform you: this is a drama.

Not yet! But you trying hard though. Admire the persistency.

@default said: A server was deleted without consent.

@default said: Good. But this does not change the fact that a server was deleted.

Read what I wrote. Last time I checked, you didn't like to make assumption. But now you are ignoring the fact cause ya need some drama fix.

@default said: A company was bought without informing customers in advance.

@default said: Congratulations. You are the first provider I know to ever blame the calendar on LET. We have seen providers blaming employees, or inflation, or datacenters. But I don't think anyone ever blamed the calendar. This blame on "calendar" should work on PMS too.

How do you think people does follow up when they write on their help desk "I will get back to with an update in X days?" You are once again ignoring the fact that was laid out.

@default said: It also depends how you help. The fact that you bought a company who was doing just fine, can't be considered as "helping" from my perspective as customer.

How did you get this from what I wrote?

@default said: This is not an excuse. People are NOT blaming you for being incompetent. You are NOT a victim of an accident, nor a a victim of stupidity. In fact you are not a victim, you are a provider! So step up and be a man.

@default said: The fact that you take responsibility is not enough.

Actually yes!

What do you do to improve? What steps have you taken to prevent this? What promise do customers get?

Not offering support via unofficial channel is the first one. Also If you are a SmallWeb customer, you should have gotten an email from us, which also explains about SLA and new backup process ;)

Tomorrow you may go into involucration and say "we have a partial fault". History will repeat as with HostSolutions - but the only difference is that you will blame the calendar... karma is a b*tch

@default said: And thanks for buying SmallWeb without informing customers.

Sometimes, you just like to write random stuff I guess? Good habit. Quality time pass while taking dump.

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran

@seriesn said:

@default said: A company was bought without informing customers in advance.

@default said: And thanks for buying SmallWeb without informing customers.

Sometimes, you just like to write random stuff I guess? Good habit. Quality time pass while taking dump.

This point is kind of legit though.. normally customers would be informed from the previous owner that the company is being sold prior to it happening. Gives time for the user to know what's coming and also remove themselves if they wish to.

I got informed on the 1st Aug and then transferred the same day with no prior warning with double welcome emails appearing in my inbox over the next two days. The point that I don't have an active service doesn't help either, so it's just transferring my details.

• Thanked by 2seriesn MichaelCee