Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MLNL.HOST - Rebranding and new NAT Offers ($1) - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MLNL.HOST - Rebranding and new NAT Offers ($1)

Comments

• definitely,It's a great deal.But How can I set up Ns1 prefix and Ns2 prefix when I order one from your link.I have never used NAT VPS before.Can U help me?

• @dahartigan said:

@randvegeta said:

@Francisco said:

@drakula said:
    $3 p/m for NAT VPS is too rich for me

@randvegeta said:

@drakula said:
    $3 p/m for NAT VPS is too rich for me

It's a 'Premium' service :-)

Honestly, given netflix/etc work on their IP's and it's in HK, $3/month is probably a pretty damn cheap deal.

Francisco

For NAT it's not cheap. But it's also not crap, which is usally what NAT VPS are. Bottom of the barrel stuff.

This is somewhat of an experiment though. Throw good resources at this product and see if it stick and has a market.

A lot of people, especially from China, buy our services purely to use as a VPN. Why do they need a dedicated IP for that? They don't... So I thought let's give it a try. Try and make it good rather than make it cheap.

The Chinese need dedicated IP as opposed to shared because all it takes is 1 mjj to get the IP blocked by the mighty mjj wall of China and then you're facing changing the IP just to keep the mjj happy.

Your high price will probably scare away Chinese mjjs from China anyway so maybe a moot point?

Actually Just a few VPNs can work in China Becuase the GFW.And the fee is very high(6 or 7 dollors/mon).So many chinese guys use vps to setup proxy to bypass the GFW.For such purpose,the network is most important factor when they purchase a vps.There is no doubt that HK network is best choice for those people.So NAT VPS sure have appeal for them.

• notarobonotarobo Member
    edited August 2021

how about one IPv6 per vps is it ok, or it is important to have many IPv6

• @notarobo said:
    how about one IPv6 per vps is it ok, or it is important to have many IPv6

If they want to follow RFC3177 recommendations then a /64 should be assigned to end users, but it is not uncommon for NAT VPS to have /112 or /80 IPv6 blocks.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@Jio said: Kick them without refund for wasting staff time.

Probably easier to just provide IPv6 but not actually say we provide it. Then when idiots come a long we just say we dont provide it. And then the smart folks think they've gotten a steal!

@Pixels said: If they want to follow RFC3177 recommendations then a /64 should be assigned to end users, but it is not uncommon for NAT VPS to have /112 or /80 IPv6 blocks

I'm happy to allocate /64. But then people get all confused about the config. In order to give a /64 without creating a separate routing policy for each /64, the servers must be configured on a /48. They can only USE the IPs within the /64 but the gateway is outside the /64, and it's a struggle for some people to wrap there head around it.

@Franzkafka said: definitely,It's a great deal.But How can I set up Ns1 prefix and Ns2 prefix when I order one from your link.I have never used NAT VPS before.Can U help me?

You can leave NS1/NS2 blank.

PM me if you need more help.

• @randvegeta said:

@Pixels said: If they want to follow RFC3177 recommendations then a /64 should be assigned to end users, but it is not uncommon for NAT VPS to have /112 or /80 IPv6 blocks

I'm happy to allocate /64. But then people get all confused about the config. In order to give a /64 without creating a separate routing policy for each /64, the servers must be configured on a /48. They can only USE the IPs within the /64 but the gateway is outside the /64, and it's a struggle for some people to wrap there head around it.

I see, aren't interfaces configured automatically? Knowledgebase might help in that case. Good luck with your offers.

• JioJio Member

@Pixels said: I see, aren't interfaces configured automatically? Knowledgebase might help in that case. Good luck with your offers.

These people don't read documentation and the first button they press is not knowledgebase, it is chargeback

• @Jio said:

@Pixels said: I see, aren't interfaces configured automatically? Knowledgebase might help in that case. Good luck with your offers.

These people don't read documentation and the first button they press is not knowledgebase, it is chargeback

I'll never understand those people. Why bother renting an unmanaged service if you can't bother to read the docs. I am not experienced in this field but I guess hosts could report them to FraudRecord or MaxMind.

• jayjayjayjay Member, Host Rep

So for those keeping track, Clive thought it was a great idea to have a DIY UPS (if you want to know more: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/172977/diy-tesla-ups) in the DC.

He was testing it a few moments ago when thunderstorms started in Hong Kong, and it blew up in front of him. Needless to say, he's dead and I'm now looking for a replacement. 10 seconds of silence

Also to all our clients - don't worry, we'll be back up and running in no time. Maybe we should have just stuck to original plans and kept the diesel UPS... -.-

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@jayjay said:
    He was testing it a few moments ago when thunderstorms started in Hong Kong, and it blew up in front of him. Needless to say, he's dead and I'm now looking for a replacement. 10 seconds of silence

Sorry, just to be clear, you mean "it's dead" (the UPS) right?

@FAT32 said:

@jayjay said:

Sorry, just to be clear, you mean "it's dead" (the UPS) right?

No. He mean't me. Yes I died, and have been replaced already. I am that replacement.

The UPS is actually working fine. The problem was it was in testing, and not in deployment. So the row of racks it was supposed to be serving was not being served. There's currently a thunderstorm in the area, and there have been brownouts. Unfortunately this has caused several racks to lose power momentarily.

A terribly ironic situation.

The UPS is now being tested in production. Already found a few issues.

1.) Voltage difference between mains and the UPS output. STS does not like it. Keeps switching between sources.

2.) The current draw of the charger is high enough that it trips the switch when the load of the servers is also added.

3.) Some other minor issues with switching speed. The UPS can run in online mode but as far as I can tell, in online mode, the output capacity is reduced by 60-70%. So it must be in offline mode, and switched on. Switch time is 10ms, which should be plenty fast enough, but it still causes problems. Especially when coupled with an STS.

Kinks that can be resolved but annoying none the less.

Thanked by 2jayjay FAT32
  • Fuck the GFW, backup IP is also blocked by it !

• @abiaolaoge said:
    Fuck the GFW, backup IP is also blocked by it !

I also noticed that the backup ip is blocked when my proxy failed.And I opened a ticket ,they say they will change one of them in a day or so and another week or month for the other.So sad! I will wait some time to see whether they will change IP in a few days.

The service is good(the ip support Netflix and HKTV),but the risk is also high because we all shared one public ip.If one man get fucked,everyone will get fucked.

Thanked by 1abiaolaoge
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Thanked by 1chocolateshirt

@abiaolaoge said:

@Franzkafka said:

@abiaolaoge said:

I also noticed that the backup ip is blocked when my proxy failed.And I opened a ticket ,they say they will change one of them in a day or so and another week or month for the other.So sad! I will wait some time to see whether they will change IP in a few days.

The service is good(the ip support Netflix and HKTV),but the risk is also high because we all shared one public ip.If one man get fucked,everyone will get fucked.

We're working on it - it's the first time both have been blocked which only makes things more difficult. The time delay is due to the ISPs - some take longer than others to provide new IPs. cc @randvegeta

Thanked by 1abiaolaoge

@Franzkafka said: The service is good(the ip support Netflix and HKTV),but the risk is also high because we all shared one public ip.If one man get fucked,everyone will get fucked.

Does streaming require direct routing to China? Or Low latency?

We can provide multiple backup IPs that route via HE.net if that's the case.

• @randvegeta said:

@Franzkafka said: The service is good(the ip support Netflix and HKTV),but the risk is also high because we all shared one public ip.If one man get fucked,everyone will get fucked.

Does streaming require direct routing to China? Or Low latency?

We can provide multiple backup IPs that route via HE.net if that's the case.

Actually I vaule HongKong's native IP more ,rather than the route and the latency.Because I just use it to watch Netflix now and then.It will be fine if the network can support 1080P Vedios.No more requirements.

• @jayjay said:

@abiaolaoge said:

@Franzkafka said:

@abiaolaoge said:

We're working on it - it's the first time both have been blocked which only makes things more difficult. The time delay is due to the ISPs - some take longer than others to provide new IPs. cc @randvegeta

Hey,are you guys seeking solutions for current situation?I opened a ticket to U for your Ip blocked by GFW.And five days passed,I still cannot access my server.I am ready to give up your service.But anyway,Thanks for your service!Hope to choose your service someday again.But It won't be NAT VPS again!!!!!

@Franzkafka said:

@jayjay said:

@abiaolaoge said:

@Franzkafka said:

@abiaolaoge said:

Hey,are you guys seeking solutions for current situation?I opened a ticket to U for your Ip blocked by GFW.And five days passed,I still cannot access my server.I am ready to give up your service.But anyway,Thanks for your service!Hope to choose your service someday again.But It won't be NAT VPS again!!!!!

Yes we are, unfortunately it's taking longer than we expected. @randvegeta is on the case!
    Considering it's the first time the IPs are blocked I don't see why our NAT VPS's are suddenly not attractive to you - plus we never guaranteed connectivity from China, however we're trying our best to get it resolved.

• idoridoridoridor Member
    edited August 2021

I can't get access to my account. Tried to forget password but no luck. Cannot go back in to configure my VMs...

Edit: got into my account.
    Edit2: I can't login again. and forgot password doesn't work.

Also, do you offer upgrade path? I bought a VM for 1 month just to test, but really rather just buy the year now.

Also, how can I change the VM image?

@idoridor said:
    I can't get access to my account. Tried to forget password but no luck. Cannot go back in to configure my VMs...

Also, do you offer upgrade path? I bought a VM for 1 month just to test, but really rather just buy the year now.

We've just responded to your ticket. We can get you upgraded no problem, and the VM image can be changed directly in the VM panel.

• idoridoridoridor Member
    edited August 2021

@jayjay said:

@idoridor said:

We've just responded to your ticket. We can get you upgraded no problem, and the VM image can be changed directly in the VM panel.

Thanks Jayjay, unfortunately I don't get any e-mails to view my ticket... It seems your e-mail system cannot e-mail me. I have tried both my private email and another gmail account.

Also, I cannot receive the password reset e-mails.

Also, I wan't too sure when I bought the VM. I bought the $5 first, but then it charges an additional $2 for an IP address. So technically the VM price is $7? I suppose there's no IP address if you don't buy one?

@idoridor said:

@jayjay said:

@idoridor said:

Thanks Jayjay, unfortunately I don't get any e-mails to view my ticket... It seems your e-mail system cannot e-mail me. I have tried both my private email and another gmail account.

Also, I cannot receive the password reset e-mails.

Also, I wan't too sure when I bought the VM. I bought the $5 first, but then it charges an additional $2 for an IP address. So technically the VM price is $7? I suppose there's no IP address if you don't buy one?

Ok ping me with VPS IP and email and I'll fix it our end.
    1 IP is always included, 2$ is for any extra IPs.

Update for all our Chinese customers using our NAT VPS's: We now have an additional backup IP in place so you should be able to continue accessing the VPS through the usual route. Customers have also been emailed.

Please reach out if you're still seeing issues and I'll try my best to get it resolved asap.

• Great work. So far so good I’m satisfy with the vps. The minor issue is sometimes my vps seems reseted the uptime due to reboot?

Hoping switching ip will not cause price increase of vps as I’m not in the group affected by those blocked by the GFW. :D

@wahyan said:
    Great work. So far so good I’m satisfy with the vps. The minor issue is sometimes my vps seems reseted the uptime due to reboot?

Hoping switching ip will not cause price increase of vps as I’m not in the group affected by those blocked by the GFW. :D

Thanks for the feedback - the reset may have been because of the bad weather in Hong Kong recently. We had some trouble with thunderstorms but we're working on measures to prevent issues.

No price increases...yet :) Our annual pricing for NAT VPS's is even better, you should take a look.

Any questions let me know

@wahyan said: Hoping switching ip will not cause price increase of vps as I’m not in the group affected by those blocked by the GFW.

No plans to increase the price. Adding more resources to the cluster will cost more, but we expect this to be offset by having more customers.

@jayjay said: We had some trouble with thunderstorms but we're working on measures to prevent issues.

It should be noted that this was caused by my DIY UPS, which does not actually operate as a UPS. Or rather, it does not operate as an 'online' UPS.

An online UPS is always on, converting DC to AC. The power it outputs to equipment is therefore not the same (or in sync) with the mains.

The UPS I built operates as an offline UPS. It comes online in the event of a power outage. The switch over time is <10ms. This SHOULD be fast enough, but it unfortunately does not interact well with our STS. In addition to the added switch time from the STS, the STS does not like the voltage difference output by my UPS. My UPS outputs a slightly high voltage (245) whereas the mains is slightly low (208). The norm in HK should be 220.

I have yet to implement the fix but the plan is to install a new control board into my UPS that will lower the voltage to 220ac. This will hopefully resolve the problem with the STS. If not, I'll add some extra chargers to the batteries, sufficient for the inverter working at full capacity. Currently, the charger charges at 1/3 the max output. It is for this reason I cannot set the UPS up as an 'online' UPS. By adding chargers, One the charger output can match the inverter, it can be a fully online UPS.

Any way. Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to clarify what were are doing, as it may sound odd that a bit of bad weather (thunder/lightning) can cause outages for us. It is simply a matter of brownouts and unexpected behaviour in the interactions of our various equipment. For example, removing the STS should also resolve the problem of the switching time. But it also introduces the problem of being unable to perform maintenance on A/B power sources without affecting equipment within the racks.

edited September 2021

Good news all - we’ve got IPv6 fully setup on our services. For all our customers who’ve asked for this before (especially NAT customers, we listened!), please create a ticket and we’ll get it done for you.

Thanks for your trust in us!

• can i have looking glass for non-optimized china route and optimized china route?

This discussion has been closed.