Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostHatch - TCP Port 25 will be blocked by default on June 14th - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostHatch - TCP Port 25 will be blocked by default on June 14th

12346»

Comments

• OujiOuji Member

@rooted said:

@Ouji said:
    Or you can get Mailgun with 30K free e-mails monthly.

No more such plan now. https://www.mailgun.com/pricing/
    Try us out! Get 5,000 free emails per month for 3 months, then only pay for what you send

Did you even click the link? LOL

• EmilEmil Member, Host Rep

Wow I guess I arrived late at the party. Anyways I will give you some more background so you don't think we are doing this "just because everyone else does".

Keep in mind this is for our customers' own best. The ultimate goal is to increase the deliverability of emails for our customers that do send legit emails by increasing the reputation of our IP space and preventing blacklistings. There are different ways to reduce abuse and it's not unexpected that everyone will have different opinions on this. I am obviously biased towards the decision we have taken, but I'm still surprised people would rather have their packets inspected and risked of being silently filtered instead of sending an email to us saying "pls port 25" (which is all that is needed for current customers especially).

Anyways, this change is good because;

1. It will prevent hijacked servers from sending out tons of spam before it is noticed by the owner, or by us (this is more common than you'd probably know).
    2. It will prevent a large part of the semi-automated sign-up-and-spam abuse.
    3. We don't need to inspect your packets or add any overhead to our infrastructure in other ways.
    4. It's very simple to implement and not as error-prone as more "intelligent" solutions that could effect legit users. People that use port 25 to send emails should not be at risk of being filtered by us which would be very difficult for them to troubleshoot.

I've worked at Google with anti-abuse engineering (incl spam), I designed and implemented changes that affected hundreds of millions of users, so fighting abuse is something that lies close to my heart. This is the lowest hanging fruit and will have a very positive effect for our customers.

As a side note I am also working on other abuse-related projects, all of which are meant to improve our services for legit users. This is the only one that requires any kind of effort from legit users. However that "effort" is simply saying that you need it, it's even easier than posting on LET :smile: