Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Huge jump in HDD prices, in just 1 week - Page 9
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Huge jump in HDD prices, in just 1 week

12345679»

Comments

• @default said:

@skorupion said:

@default said:

@skorupion said:

@default said:

@skorupion said:

@default said:
    9 exabytes.

This thing just goes up and up. Storage got more expensive, some providers have issues, while this speculation gets more and more storage fuel.

9.8 OOF when chia will fall we will be flooded with half free spinning rust

True, but I don't think this will happen any time soon, because people will want to get the investment back from Chia, while the energy consumption of "farming rigs" is extremely low. So all farmers have to do is just wait and hope for a few years.

I mean chia seems to be falling again, where just need to wait for 1 thing, owners selling their coins.

When to sell... this is speculation. Chia may rise like Bitcoin, or it may become another pump-and-dump. Everybody wants to get rich by doing as less effort as possible. This is the beauty of such popcorn drama.

Meanwhile decent workers and honest providers inside datacenters have more costs with storage, costs on active contracts, which were not anticipated and start creating financial pressure now. To this, add abusers with plotting, which after a few weeks will demolish the rented industrial SSDs, creating even more pressure.

we should create a LETDRAMA coin so every time someone starts a drama they get 100 coins
    It will barely draw any power plus it won't require top of the art hardware

Good idea, but how could we reward Bram Cohen for example, who is not member of LET and yet he started Chia drama.

I think he'll be too happy with his Chia coins that he'd not bother with LETCoin.

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@TimboJones said:

@skorupion said:

@default said:

@skorupion said:

@default said:

@skorupion said:

@default said:
    9 exabytes.

This thing just goes up and up. Storage got more expensive, some providers have issues, while this speculation gets more and more storage fuel.

True, but I don't think this will happen any time soon, because people will want to get the investment back from Chia, while the energy consumption of "farming rigs" is extremely low. So all farmers have to do is just wait and hope for a few years.

I mean chia seems to be falling again, where just need to wait for 1 thing, owners selling their coins.

When to sell... this is speculation. Chia may rise like Bitcoin, or it may become another pump-and-dump. Everybody wants to get rich by doing as less effort as possible. This is the beauty of such popcorn drama.

Meanwhile decent workers and honest providers inside datacenters have more costs with storage, costs on active contracts, which were not anticipated and start creating financial pressure now. To this, add abusers with plotting, which after a few weeks will demolish the rented industrial SSDs, creating even more pressure.

we should create a LETDRAMA coin so every time someone starts a drama they get 100 coins

I should be granted preseeds.

you should be granted like 20% of supply

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited May 2021

@skorupion said:

@TimboJones said:

@skorupion said:

@default said:

@skorupion said:

@default said:

@skorupion said:

@default said:
    9 exabytes.

I should be granted preseeds.

you should be granted like 20% of supply

20% for that guy??? What about me? What about @deank ? What about summer hosts and banned members who contributed with lots of dramas, and spent time with popcorn and sleepless nights around here? We should have the right to be greedy and rich too. I protest! To the moon 🚀

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

@Francisco said:

@jbiloh said:
    What has hard drive pricing and availability looked like the last couple days for folks who's re following it closely? I know a few weeks ago prices were high and stocks were very lean.

Still so. Drives I was paying $110/ea are now $290+.

Even storage chassis like supermicro 847s are up by 250% and basically sold out everywhere.

Francisco

nevermind purchase limits in the few places which have stock.

• @default said:
    20% for that guy??? What about me?

What about you? What would be one or two of the biggest drama's you were involved in? Something about being kicked off LES in record time?

What about @deank ?

You mean the guy who has never started a topic and says the same predictable thing over and over to the point where any other person can say it for him? What drama would that be?

What about summer hosts and banned members who contributed with lots of dramas, and spent time with popcorn and sleepless nights around here? We should have the right to be greedy and rich too. I protest! To the moon 🚀

It wouldn't make much sense to give LETcoins to banned members.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@PulsedMedia said: nevermind purchase limits in the few places which have stock.

You can find sellers with new drives on ebay that'll sell you in bulk...at marked up prices. I can get 8TB drives all day for $288 + tax. That's 2.5x more than they were pre Chia.

But, you're right, if you buy from a big box place (newegg, bestbuy, amazon), you're getting limited to 1 or 2 or original MSRP. Bestbuy listed 500 external drives on eBay the other day (brand new, etc), and they sold them all in a few hours. You can check the sell history on it and they sold a drive every minute or three.

Francisco

• defaultdefault Veteran

12 exabytes.