Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Huge jump in HDD prices, in just 1 week - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Huge jump in HDD prices, in just 1 week

Comments

• @Neoon said:

@tolovall said:

@PulsedMedia said: Bitcoin is not FIAT ...

Bitcoin is a waste of electricity.
    Crypto is estimated to consume the total amount of electricity of Argentina per year (continue to grow). Certainly does not help the situation of the melting North Pole.

You can't waste electricity, physics 101.
    You only convert it into heat and other shit.

The universe has a shiton of it, so its kinda idiotic to say we "waste" it.
    But we are just humans so.

That's not what "waste" means. Feels idiotic to misuse "waste".

• rcy026rcy026 Member

@TimboJones said:

@rcy026 said:

@TimboJones said:

You'll change your tune when the millionth crypto exchange goes tits up, taking millions with them. Or you lose that paper with a shit ton of numbers on it.

There's pro's and con's for everything.

What's the difference between that and losing your savings when a big bank goes tits up or losing fiat paperbills?

Using money has always required a bit of personal responsibility and due diligence, it doesn't matter if its fiat or crypto, it's all the same.

No, it's not. Banks are insured. I don't have the kind of money that insurances wouldn't cover if my bank (credit union) goes tits up.

If people still have cash in their mattress that burns up in a fire instead of security box or deposited into a bank, that's on them.

OK, so if cash burns up its because people are stupid. But when people lose a paper with a shit ton of numbers on it, its Bitcoins fault. Nice and consistent logic there man. :smile:

I'm not even sure if I should point out the fact that in the case of cash, the paper is the value. If it burns, its gone. In the case of bitcoin, you can simple type the same "shit ton of numbers" on a different piece of paper, since the value is not in the paper itself. Heck, you could type the same numbers on 1000 pieces of papers just to be sure you never lose it, and it still works. Take a photo of it, tattoo it on your cat or memorize it. Doesn't matter, still works.
    But you can only spend it once though, counterfeit money only works in fiat.

People act like if fiat has always been some kind of universal proof of value and never has been questioned. They are very quick to forget that when fiat was introduced, exactly the same arguments that are now used against Bitcoin was then used against fiat.

Thanked by 1PulsedMedia
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited May 2021

Meanwhile... 7 exabytes.

• angeliusangelius Member
    edited May 2021

Expected time to farm 1 XCH with 1 TiB.
    2 years 63 days 19 hours 52.2 seconds

This is now for big players only

• defaultdefault Veteran

@angelius said:

• FalzoFalzo Member

@angelius said:

keep in mind, for now you'll only find blocks which are rewarded 2 XCH. so the calculatory time to find one is double.

also keep in mind it works like a lottery still. based just on a certain chance. while you can calculate a time from the given numbers that is in no way guarantued. it can take much less time to hit a block or a lot longer or never happen at all. rather not 'expect' anything in that regard other than best of luck ;-)

• xetsysxetsys Member
    edited May 2021

@default said:

@angelius said:

Not sure if this is a good news or a bad news, considering small players will accept this and move on resulting in better stock availability, or that big players will invest more in HDDs resulting in a very severe shortage.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited May 2021

@xetsys said:

@default said:

@angelius said:

[...] or that big players will invest more in HDDs resulting in a very severe shortage.

I agree with this part. Greed is so important, that sometimes humanity uses hope and patience to justify or even hide greed. Hence why: To the moon! 🚀

Thanked by 1xetsys
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited May 2021

The end is -

• @rcy026 said:

@TimboJones said:

@rcy026 said:

@TimboJones said:

You'll change your tune when the millionth crypto exchange goes tits up, taking millions with them. Or you lose that paper with a shit ton of numbers on it.

There's pro's and con's for everything.

What's the difference between that and losing your savings when a big bank goes tits up or losing fiat paperbills?

Using money has always required a bit of personal responsibility and due diligence, it doesn't matter if its fiat or crypto, it's all the same.

No, it's not. Banks are insured. I don't have the kind of money that insurances wouldn't cover if my bank (credit union) goes tits up.

If people still have cash in their mattress that burns up in a fire instead of security box or deposited into a bank, that's on them.

OK, so if cash burns up its because people are stupid. But when people lose a paper with a shit ton of numbers on it, its Bitcoins fault. Nice and consistent logic there man. :smile:

You're right. If someone can't put their piece of paper with their wallet written on it in a safety deposit box, that's on the person, not bitcoin. I guess I was thinking of more scenarios where it's easier to lose numbers than physical cash in your possession.

I'm not even sure if I should point out the fact that in the case of cash, the paper is the value. If it burns, its gone. In the case of bitcoin, you can simple type the same "shit ton of numbers" on a different piece of paper, since the value is not in the paper itself. Heck, you could type the same numbers on 1000 pieces of papers just to be sure you never lose it, and it still works. Take a photo of it, tattoo it on your cat or memorize it. Doesn't matter, still works.

Now this issue is practically and real world use. Do you keep a thousand copies of all your different passwords?

But you can only spend it once though, counterfeit money only works in fiat.

Counterfeit money isn't really a problem these days with plastic money that's much more resilient than old paper technology. It's actually weird to keep reading about paper money.

People act like if fiat has always been some kind of universal proof of value and never has been questioned. They are very quick to forget that when fiat was introduced, exactly the same arguments that are now used against Bitcoin was then used against fiat.

Well, people forget because they hear of people losing millions from bitcoin exchanges and I've never heard in my life a person losing their checking account at their bank. Investments, pensions, scams, yes. To me, banks are stable.

• defaultdefault Veteran

8 exabytes.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited May 2021

9 exabytes.

This thing just goes up and up. Storage got more expensive, some providers have issues, while this speculation gets more and more storage fuel.

• @default said: 9 exabytes.

Where to look up this stats?

• defaultdefault Veteran

@tolovall said:

@default said: 9 exabytes.

Where to look up this stats?

https://www.chiaexplorer.com/top-addresses

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@default said:
    9 exabytes.

This thing just goes up and up. Storage got more expensive, some providers have issues, while this speculation gets more and more storage fuel.

9.8 OOF when chia will fall we will be flooded with half free spinning rust

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited May 2021

@skorupion said:

@default said:
    9 exabytes.

True, but I don't think this will happen any time soon, because people will want to get the investment back from Chia, while the energy consumption of "farming rigs" is extremely low. So all farmers have to do, for a few years, is just wait and hope.

@default said:

@skorupion said:

@default said:
    9 exabytes.

True, but I don't think this will happen any time soon, because people will want to get the investment back from Chia, while the energy consumption of "farming rigs" is extremely low. So all farmers have to do is just wait and hope for a few years.

I mean chia seems to be falling again, where just need to wait for 1 thing, owners selling their coins.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited May 2021

@skorupion said:

@default said:

@skorupion said:

@default said:
    9 exabytes.

True, but I don't think this will happen any time soon, because people will want to get the investment back from Chia, while the energy consumption of "farming rigs" is extremely low. So all farmers have to do is just wait and hope for a few years.

I mean chia seems to be falling again, where just need to wait for 1 thing, owners selling their coins.

When to sell... this is speculation. Chia may rise like Bitcoin, or it may become another pump-and-dump. Everybody wants to get rich by doing as less effort as possible. This is the beauty of such popcorn drama.

Meanwhile decent workers and honest providers inside datacenters have more costs with storage, costs on active contracts, which were not anticipated and start creating financial pressure now. To this, add abusers with plotting, which after a few weeks will demolish the rented industrial SSDs, creating even more pressure.

edited May 2021

@default said:

@skorupion said:

@default said:

@skorupion said:

@default said:
    9 exabytes.

When to sell... this is speculation. Chia may rise like Bitcoin, or it may become another pump-and-dump. Everybody wants to get rich by doing as less effort as possible. This is the beauty of such popcorn drama.

Meanwhile decent workers and honest providers inside datacenters have more costs with storage, costs on active contracts, which were not anticipated and start creating financial pressure now. To this, add abusers with plotting, which after a few weeks will demolish the rented industrial SSDs, creating even more pressure.

we should create a LETDRAMA coin so every time someone starts a drama they get 100 coins
    It will barely draw any power plus it won't require top of the art hardware

• defaultdefault Veteran

@skorupion said:

@default said:

@skorupion said:

@default said:

@skorupion said:

@default said:
    9 exabytes.

we should create a LETDRAMA coin so every time someone starts a drama they get 100 coins

Good idea, but how could we reward Bram Cohen for example, who is not member of LET and yet he started Chia drama.

edited May 2021

@default said:

@skorupion said:

@default said:

@skorupion said:

@default said:

@skorupion said:

@default said:
    9 exabytes.

Good idea, but how could we reward Bram Cohen for example, who is not member of LET and yet he started Chia drama.

Hmm, how about an external address and internal one (internal being your let account|) and external being a random string of numbers. Then email him external address with private key

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2021

@dfroe said: Also with those "currencies" rising and falling so huge within shortest time, one simply cannot rely on them. Wouldn't it be horrible to imagine the value of your monthly salary could easily decrease by 90% until your next electricity bill?

Welcome to the 3rd world. This is normal there.

Many coins are more stable than FIAT currencies of some countries.

• I don't get this. Is chia going to do any meaningful work with the storage and space?
    For example, decentralized storage????

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited May 2021

@tolovall said:
    I don't get this. Is chia going to do any meaningful work with the storage and space?

No. The plot itself is filled with random data. There is no "actual information" stored, just random garbage data for filling a given plot.

• @default said:

@tolovall said:
    I don't get this. Is chia going to do any meaningful work with the storage and space?

No. The plot itself is filled with random data. There is no "actual information" stored, just random garbage data for filling a given plot.

What is the point? What is/are the application(s)?

• JabJabJabJab Member

@tolovall said: What is the point? What is/are the application(s)?

Money.
    Money.
    and
    Money.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited May 2021

@tolovall said:

@default said:

@tolovall said:

What is the point? What is/are the application(s)?

The point is speculation. Hoping to win a coin, to have increased it's value over time, to sell it, and make money.

For applications, check Chia website. Enjoy.

Meanwhile, Chia has reached 10 exabytes.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

What has hard drive pricing and availability looked like the last couple days for folks who's re following it closely? I know a few weeks ago prices were high and stocks were very lean.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@jbiloh said:
    What has hard drive pricing and availability looked like the last couple days for folks who's re following it closely? I know a few weeks ago prices were high and stocks were very lean.

Still so. Drives I was paying $110/ea are now $290+.

Even storage chassis like supermicro 847s are up by 250% and basically sold out everywhere.

Francisco

Thanked by 1PulsedMedia
  • @skorupion said:

@default said:

@skorupion said:

@default said:

@skorupion said:

@default said:
    9 exabytes.

I should be granted preseeds.