Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Huge jump in HDD prices, in just 1 week - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Huge jump in HDD prices, in just 1 week

Comments

• cadddrcadddr Member

@PulsedMedia said: The citizens don't have much choice, Govts are natural monopolies. You cannot live at an area and choose different govt.

Not sure where you live but govts are elected by people of their country. So yes you can choose a different govt and have a different set of outcome. No govt would be a different story.

@PulsedMedia said: Also you can just sell that crypto for your local FIAT monopoly tokens to pay your taxes, aka bribes that they don't throw you into prison.

At this point i see it is just run of the mill anarchism with a crypto twist who thinks that running wild with a wallet in their hard drive will free them from oppression. I will see myself out.

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

@cadddr said: Not sure where you live but govts are elected by people of their country. So yes you can choose a different govt and have a different set of outcome. No govt would be a different story.

Do you also believe the photo with bigfoot riding lochness monster is real?

• ps20090ps20090 Member
    edited May 2021

@PulsedMedia said: Do you also believe the photo with bigfoot riding lochness monster is real?

PulsedMedia - We have new seedbox promo

ps20090 - Great, how much price is it?

PulsedMedia - Uhh, about treefiddy [silent pause]

ps20090 - I ain't giving you no treefiddy you goddam Loch Ness monster! Get your
    own goddam servers!

PulsedMedia - sigh

ps20090 - Well it was about this time I noticed that PulsedMedia was about 8 stories tall and was a crustacean from the protozoic era!

• defaultdefault Veteran

@PulsedMedia said:

Wait, you mean that photo of them creating new titan baby was fake? I just can't believe it was fake.

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • @default said:

@PulsedMedia said:

Wait, you mean that photo of them creating new titan baby was fake? I just can't believe it was fake.

I took the picture while going through a Stargate on my way back to the Pegasus Galaxy. It's definitely real.

• defaultdefault Veteran

@NobodyInteresting said:

@default said:

@PulsedMedia said:

I took the picture while going through a Stargate on my way back to the Pegasus Galaxy. It's definitely real.

So much speculation around me, I do not know what to believe. I feel confused. Everything feels like a horrid dream where everybody wants to be listened and yet trick everybody, from cryptocurrencies where they establish the value, to online news where they establish the reality.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

It's all because the end is nigh.

Believe in the end and join Nigh sect.

• @default said:

@tolovall said:

@PulsedMedia said: Bitcoin is not FIAT ...

Bitcoin is a waste of electricity.
    Crypto is estimated to consume the total amount of electricity of Argentina per year (continue to grow). Certainly does not help the situation of the melting North Pole.

So we use all that nuclear electricity, to mine for an encrypted virtual coin, which only has potential value in our heads.

I can't stop wondering how will future generations think of us in 1000 years, or even in 100 years.

Given that history repeats itself, they'll probably look back and think similarly to how we think about generations from 1000 and 100 years ago.

• momkinmomkin Member

Ooh boy , Hetzner.com and online.net storage servers are out of stock , even the server bidding ones , only OVH left at the moment :D

• iNK79iNK79 Member

someone bought 4x 10 TB for € 242.86 / month; there were 3 all gone

• rcy026rcy026 Member

@default said:
    So we use all that nuclear electricity, to mine for an encrypted virtual coin, which only has potential value in our heads.

I can't stop wondering how will future generations think of us in 1000 years, or even in 100 years.

They will probably wonder what the hell we were thinking using trucks to haul around green pieces of papers and metal coins that only had value in our head, when a totally virtual currency existed that would solve all logistic problems instantly. ;)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@rcy026 said: They will probably wonder what the hell we were thinking using trucks to haul around green pieces of papers and metal coins that only had value in our head, when a totally virtual currency existed that would solve all logistic problems instantly.

This isn't a logistics issue, this is a manipulation issue.

Francisco

Thanked by 1PulsedMedia
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited May 2021

@Francisco said:

@rcy026 said: They will probably wonder what the hell we were thinking using trucks to haul around green pieces of papers and metal coins that only had value in our head, when a totally virtual currency existed that would solve all logistic problems instantly.

This isn't a logistics issue, this is a manipulation issue.

Francisco

And speculation issue.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @rcy026 said:

@default said:

They will probably wonder what the hell we were thinking using trucks to haul around green pieces of papers and metal coins that only had value in our head, when a totally virtual currency existed that would solve all logistic problems instantly. ;)

You'll change your tune when the millionth crypto exchange goes tits up, taking millions with them. Or you lose that paper with a shit ton of numbers on it.

There's pro's and con's for everything.

• defaultdefault Veteran

@TimboJones said:
    [...] millionth crypto exchange goes tits up [...]

Sounds erotic. Will it be beautiful?

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited May 2021

5 exabytes with Chia. So much storage.

I am curious. Are those farming rigs created in such a way, that HDDs may only be powered-on when they're actually needed? This would be good to not count towards Power-On Hours, so we may actually see some nice offers for storage on eBay when Chia fails.

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited May 2021

@default said: that HDDs may only be powered-on when they're actually needed?

no. they need to be spinning all the time for two reasons. a) the challenges occur every ~20 seconds and every few challenges one of your plots might be a candidate to hold the proof so it will then be accessed with a few table jumps. it would not do any good to spin the disk up and down a few hundred times per day. b) on top the challenge should be answered to in less than 5 seconds. obviously spinning up the rust can take longer so this would be a blocker that makes you lose the block even if you'd hold the proof.

TL;DR their needed all the time anyway. despite the accesses itself are very small in size they occur often (at least with more than just very few plots on the storage).

Thanked by 1default
  • PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

huge start stop count can actually be worse than idle power on hours.

If it has huge power on hours, but very little read & write done to it means that the heads spent all their time parked instead of flying over the platters. Heat was low. Just the bearings could theoretically wear, but since probably all drives have been actually pressure liquid bearings (hydrobearings) there is no wear neither, as the liquid which is the actual bearing does not wear itself, nor can it wear the metal around it.

Thanked by 2Falzo Francisco
  • rcy026rcy026 Member

@TimboJones said:

You'll change your tune when the millionth crypto exchange goes tits up, taking millions with them. Or you lose that paper with a shit ton of numbers on it.

What's the difference between that and losing your savings when a big bank goes tits up or losing fiat paperbills?

Using money has always required a bit of personal responsibility and due diligence, it doesn't matter if its fiat or crypto, it's all the same.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited May 2021

Crypto is almost must have in todays world. Imagine if your currency goes to shit due to bad politics. You can still exchange crypto almost 1:1 to any moderately stable currency in that situation, and further exchange that to your local currency in whichever rates it is at the time. Besides its much convenient than using gold to do such a thing.

The only risk I personally see in well established cryptos like BTC, BCH, ETH, XMR are bugs or bad updates or the encryption being cracked.

And before you say that this is useless fear in EU area, EU can go shit too, and im more worried about possible FIXIT (Finnish Brexit), and after that we would have "Markka" back as our currency, but at what rates? lol. Our goverment is highly incompetent in money politics so its actually a blessing right now that were part of EU.

Thanked by 1PulsedMedia
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited May 2021

@tolovall said:

Crypto is estimated to consume the total amount of electricity of Argentina per year (continue to grow). Certainly does not help the situation of the melting North Pole.

You can't waste electricity, physics 101.
    You only convert it into heat and other shit.

The universe has a shiton of it, so its kinda idiotic to say we "waste" it.
    But we are just humans so.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited May 2021

@Neoon said:

@tolovall said:

Wrong. You can't waste energy (not electricity)! Energy is the one converted from one form (or state) to another. Electricity is an energy, which can also be converted to other forms of energy, but the process of creating crypto is a waste of electricity (as energy conversion) because no physical value is created from this computing process which converted the energy. Those numbers and hashes have value only in our heads, subject to pure speculation of our minds.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
    edited May 2021

@default said:

@Neoon said:

@tolovall said:

Wrong. You can't waste energy (not electricity)! Energy is the one converted from one form (or state) to another. Electricity is an energy, which can also be converted to other forms of energy, but the process of creating crypto is a waste of electricity (as energy conversion) because no physical value is created from this computing process which converted the energy.

By your definition putting an electric heater in a room would be also waste of electricity. Since it does not create any physical value.

Those numbers and hashes have value only in our heads, subject to pure speculation of our minds.

What about fiat money? It dose not have any real value also.
    We still use it and "waste" energy on it.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited May 2021

@Neoon said:
    By your definition putting an electric heater in a room would be also waste of electricity. Since it does not create any physical value.

In your case the physical value is the heat generated by the heater. It converts a form of energy (electric) into another form of energy (thermal). Our bodies love heat, hence the value of such change for humans.

What about fiat money? It dose not have any real value also.
    We still use it and "waste" energy on it.

When money was created it was designed to change a value (for example "milk") to another value (for example "bread"). Meanwhile, the coin itself was considered value because of material rarity (copper, silver, or even gold).

Later, because it was harder to produce and because of greed for control by the rich people, the money was made from cheaper materials, but issued according to the wealth of a country (gold, silver, tin, diamonds, and so on).

And lately, because of our pure greed, we changed it from covering money by wealth, to issuing coin based on speculation of other currencies value, like it happens nowadays. With this in mind, I totally agree with you that even fiat money is a huge waste of energy which feeds humanity greed. Proof of this are some bank accounts designed to hold large numbers (money), just so we can maintain the current status quo of happiness with masses.

Thanked by 1TimboJones

@default said:

@Neoon said:

In your case the physical value is the heat generated by the heater. It converts a form of energy (electric) into another form of energy (thermal). Our bodies love heat, hence the value of such change for humans.

That's what my GPU does too, while mining for shitcoins.
    I see no difference.

• defaultdefault Veteran

@Neoon said:

@default said:

@Neoon said:

That's what my GPU does too, while mining for shitcoins.
    I see no difference.

True. There is no difference. But that proof of work is only done in your head. In the end the hash is just some bits on a storage medium (whether it's metal, silicon, or aluminum). The value of a cryptocurrency is not given by something rare and important (like silver which is the second electric conductor of the world, or like gold which is a rare element with some electric resistancy and great for jewels). Crypto rarity is simply established by designer, but it's not backed up by any phisical wealth.

The bad part is that with fiat coin is about the same, since we calculate this coin based on other coins of the world, issuing coin over and over without any cover; and blocking coin over and over in banks to maintain peace.

All this is smoke, which is why I agree with @deank when he says "the end is nigh". The end might indeed be near, because it's hard for our minds to simply detach from money, simply because we are all flawed (greedy).

• Folks, you can not buy back the melted North Pole and Glaciers. The future generations will thank you if > @Neoon said:

@tolovall said:

I am not against crypto. I am against their consumption of resources (with their own flawed designs) and the damages they are causing. You have to think it through to understand.

• defaultdefault Veteran

More than 6 exabytes in Chia.

• Chia==shit

• @rcy026 said:

@TimboJones said:

What's the difference between that and losing your savings when a big bank goes tits up or losing fiat paperbills?

Using money has always required a bit of personal responsibility and due diligence, it doesn't matter if its fiat or crypto, it's all the same.

No, it's not. Banks are insured. I don't have the kind of money that insurances wouldn't cover if my bank (credit union) goes tits up.

If people still have cash in their mattress that burns up in a fire instead of security box or deposited into a bank, that's on them.