Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open Source Control Panel Closest to cPanel? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Open Source Control Panel Closest to cPanel?

Comments

• Strange behaviour for someone who's a provider.

Thanked by 1lentro
  • edited March 2021

@jvnadr said:
    CPanel is CPanel. Every panel has it own interface. Some of the free panels are trying to follow the logic behind CPanel interface, some are using their own logic. But the principles are the same in almost every panel out there.

So, for free, you have those options:

• HestiaCP. Very easy to learn, very stable (using Vesta principles but being much much more secure and maintained). Very stable and good backup system, even if it is not incremental. Has anything you want: flexible web servers (apache, nginx or nginx as proxy), multiple php versions that can be chosen for each web site, CSF integration, very flexible server settings, very handy CLI to work with.
    • Cyberpanel. No, it's not nginx. It's litespeed. And in the background, it is the most close to CPanel free web panel. After all, CPanel uses litespeed. You can easily import a single or multiple accounts/users from CPanel and they will actually work! On the other hand, the interface logic is something different that CPanel, DIrectadmin or all other panels, but if you play with it for a bit, it is easy and quick. Plus, you get the benefits of the Openlitespeed server and, for a single site, the pro version (Litespeed) for free.
    • Webuzo. maybe, the closest to CPanel interface you can get. It is not open source, but the lite version is completely free. In the free version, you cannot install by default many critical elements (multiple php versions, multiple web servers, chosen sql versions etc.) but there is a one month trial of the pro that you can use, install the server just as you want it to be and then, use it with all; features. When the trial ends, the license return to the free one, but the installations (e.g. multiple php versions) are staying installed, so, you have the benefits of the paid versions for free.
    • ISPconfig. Excellent panel but needs quite a lot of experience on Linux administration, and the interface is unique - not close to CPanel. But it is very flexible and with tons of options, more than most of the free (and paid) panels. It has a ton of tutorials on a ton of different configurations, too!
    • Webmin/Virtualmin. Same as ISPConfig, but for even more experienced users and also with unique interface.
    • Keyhelp. A german panel with basic interface, stable and quick. Basic functionality, too.

Now, regarding your list, please avoid:

• VestaCP. It is going downhill day by day. More vulnerabilities, lack of communication, abandoned by main developer and the list going on...
    • CWP (Centos or Control Web Panel). The guy that created it, wanted to give a million of options (even teamspeaker and shoutcast installations) but it lacks on stability, flexibility and it is very very heavy. There are a lot of concerns about security, but on the other hand, it is the most close one as of interface for the end user to CPanel. It can also import CPanel accounts.
    • Sentora, GNUPanel, KloxoMR, WebsitePanel... ZPANEL??? Oh, my God! Either abandoned or extremely insecure panels, no active developers, no modern OS, no no no!
    • AAPanel. Some shady practices in the past (search LET for those), no mail, somewhat buggy.
    • Ajenti. Is it a web panel? Is it a server admin panel? Is it both? Is it a little of everything? Is it easy? Is it popular? Is it worth it? No... Once upon a time it had potentials, but missed the road for success...
    • Cloudtron. It is not a web panel but rather a saas solution. And costs.

This post took you a long time to write and I appreciate you posting it @jvnadr. It's perhaps the best description of these free panels in this thread.

• AAPanel - Not PHP ? I am using it, it supports multi version PHPs.

Thanked by 1Offshore_Solutions
  • edited March 2021

@saosangmo said:
    AAPanel - Not PHP ? I am using it, it supports multi version PHPs.

Some feel control panels written in PHP are security risks so I was identifying the 2 FOSS panels that are not coded in PHP:
    1) AAPanel
    2) Cyber Panel

They both support PHP.

• @Offshore_Solutions said:

@saosangmo said:

Some feel control panels written in PHP are security risks so I was identifying the 2 FOSS panels that are not coded in PHP:
    1) AAPanel
    2) Cyber Panel

They both support PHP.

Patrick from RACK911 Labs wrote this yesterday on Webhostingtalk:

I just installed CyberPanel on a DigitalOcean dropplet and managed to gain root in under 10 minutes...
    It's just bad, I feel like it's nothing but bandaid fixes put together. You report one security flaw to them, they fix -that- flaw but don't go looking for similar flaws or do any sort of code review.

https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1838294

It's stupid to assume that a panel is more secure just because it isn't written in PHP. :-)

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2021

@kasodk said:

@Offshore_Solutions said:

@saosangmo said:

1) AAPanel
    2) Cyber Panel

They both support PHP.

Patrick from RACK911 Labs wrote this yesterday on Webhostingtalk:

I just installed CyberPanel on a DigitalOcean dropplet and managed to gain root in under 10 minutes...
    It's just bad, I feel like it's nothing but bandaid fixes put together. You report one security flaw to them, they fix -that- flaw but don't go looking for similar flaws or do any sort of code review.

https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1838294

It's stupid to assume that a panel is more secure just because it isn't written in PHP. :-)

No such thing as perfect panel, and second of all, most of those panels are community developed, with just funding via donations. If you want security, then go with cpanel, or DA, not a free panel

Edit: And don't forget that cyberpanel was created around 2017, while DA around 2003.
    The maturity of a Control Panel matters.

• Keep this thread running. I am taking ideas for my control panel.

edited March 2021

@Boogeyman said:
    Keep this thread running. I am taking ideas for my control panel.

Credit: Andrew fabbro

Thanked by 1Boogeyman
  • fbmyfbmy Member

@skorupion said:
    ...If you want security, then go with cpanel, or DA, not a free panel

Edit: And don't forget that cyberpanel was created around 2017, while DA around 2003.

agree with you.
    Likewise with the ApisCP which was developed in 2002.
    worth considering in the future

Thanked by 2kaz050457 nem

@fbmy said:

@skorupion said:
    ...If you want security, then go with cpanel, or DA, not a free panel

agree with you.
    Likewise with the ApisCP which was developed in 2002.
    worth considering in the future

Exactly, and cyberpanel doesn't have 10-20 full-time devs working on it but 1-2.
    Apis CP, DA, CPanel all have a lot of devs, and are old, so devs had time to look over every bug, and patch it up, and every bug coming from the patch to the last bug.

Thanked by 1fbmy
  • @skorupion said: @Boogeyman said:

Lmao. It is certainly boring to develop things from scratch and sometimes without any feedback/financial support from the actual market does demotivate you. Though I did made a billing from scratch and currently going for control panel which I did some work back in January and now waiting for AlmaLinux release.

• @Boogeyman said:

@skorupion said: @Boogeyman said:

Lmao. It is certainly boring to develop things from scratch and sometimes without any feedback/financial support from the actual market does demotivate you. Though I did made a billing from scratch and currently going for control panel which I did some work back in January and now waiting for AlmaLinux release.

Is your billing system available for sale and what is the link?

Is there a link for your control panel and what language did you code it in? Are you also proficient in PHP?

Are you still part of the team working on Cyberpanel?

@jvnadr said:
    CPanel is CPanel. Every panel has it own interface. Some of the free panels are trying to follow the logic behind CPanel interface, some are using their own logic. But the principles are the same in almost every panel out there.

• HestiaCP. Very easy to learn, very stable (using Vesta principles but being much much more secure and maintained). Very stable and good backup system, even if it is not incremental. Has anything you want: flexible web servers (apache, nginx or nginx as proxy), multiple php versions that can be chosen for each web site, CSF integration, very flexible server settings, very handy CLI to work with.
    • Cyberpanel. No, it's not nginx. It's litespeed. And in the background, it is the most close to CPanel free web panel. After all, CPanel uses litespeed. You can easily import a single or multiple accounts/users from CPanel and they will actually work! On the other hand, the interface logic is something different that CPanel, DIrectadmin or all other panels, but if you play with it for a bit, it is easy and quick. Plus, you get the benefits of the Openlitespeed server and, for a single site, the pro version (Litespeed) for free.
    • Webuzo. maybe, the closest to CPanel interface you can get. It is not open source, but the lite version is completely free. In the free version, you cannot install by default many critical elements (multiple php versions, multiple web servers, chosen sql versions etc.) but there is a one month trial of the pro that you can use, install the server just as you want it to be and then, use it with all; features. When the trial ends, the license return to the free one, but the installations (e.g. multiple php versions) are staying installed, so, you have the benefits of the paid versions for free.
    • ISPconfig. Excellent panel but needs quite a lot of experience on Linux administration, and the interface is unique - not close to CPanel. But it is very flexible and with tons of options, more than most of the free (and paid) panels. It has a ton of tutorials on a ton of different configurations, too!
    • Webmin/Virtualmin. Same as ISPConfig, but for even more experienced users and also with unique interface.
    • Keyhelp. A german panel with basic interface, stable and quick. Basic functionality, too.

• VestaCP. It is going downhill day by day. More vulnerabilities, lack of communication, abandoned by main developer and the list going on...
    • CWP (Centos or Control Web Panel). The guy that created it, wanted to give a million of options (even teamspeaker and shoutcast installations) but it lacks on stability, flexibility and it is very very heavy. There are a lot of concerns about security, but on the other hand, it is the most close one as of interface for the end user to CPanel. It can also import CPanel accounts.
    • Sentora, GNUPanel, KloxoMR, WebsitePanel... ZPANEL??? Oh, my God! Either abandoned or extremely insecure panels, no active developers, no modern OS, no no no!
    • AAPanel. Some shady practices in the past (search LET for those), no mail, somewhat buggy.
    • Ajenti. Is it a web panel? Is it a server admin panel? Is it both? Is it a little of everything? Is it easy? Is it popular? Is it worth it? No... Once upon a time it had potentials, but missed the road for success...

He copied your paragraph, posted to his forum, and didn't even delete "(search LET for those)"
    https://hostboards.com/discussion/4238/some-free-alternative-control-panels-to-cpanel-to-consider

• edited March 2021

@skorupion said:

@jvnadr said:

He copied your paragraph, posted to his forum, and didn't even delete "(search LET for those)"
    https://hostboards.com/discussion/4238/some-free-alternative-control-panels-to-cpanel-to-consider

Indeed I did, don't believe it's a crime, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    jvnadr created the best panel comparison.

@skorupion said:

@jvnadr said:

Indeed I did, don't believe it's a crime, Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Then at least go like at the end:
    Written by: @jvnadr

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited March 2021

@skorupion said: He copied your paragraph, posted to his forum, and didn't even delete "(search LET for those)"

Wow.

@Offshore_Solutions , plagiarize much?

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • @skorupion said:

@skorupion said:

@jvnadr said:

Indeed I did, don't believe it's a crime, Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Good point and your suggestion was added to the beginning of the post giving credit.

@skorupion said:

@skorupion said:

@jvnadr said:

Good point and your suggestion was added to the beginning of the post giving credit.

Finally it isin't plagiarism, anyways dms?

• @angstrom said:

@skorupion said: He copied your paragraph, posted to his forum, and didn't even delete "(search LET for those)"

Wow.

@Offshore_Solutions , plagiarize much?

He must have missed the day in grade 7 English class when we all learned plagiarizing was bad.

• edited March 2021

@jvnadr said:

Found the shady coding post you were talking about for AAPanel & it's a good read:
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3127996#Comment_3127996

Looks like AAPanel should not be considered for production.

• Well, the guy was also caught using someone else's logo for his business, and from what I can gather, he doesn't have experience with managing servers. So everything points to the direction of them becoming a summer host.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3214905#Comment_3214898

• edited March 2021

@stevewatson301 said:
    from what I can gather, he doesn't have experience with managing servers. So everything points to the direction of them becoming a summer host.

HAHA 😄
    Going to get me a shirt that says "Summer Hosting Since 2006" when I started managing servers cuz the kids on LET know everything 🤣

• @skorupion said: Finally it isin't plagiarism, anyways dms?

Still copyright infringement though. The way this works is, all countries have agreed to enter the Berne Convention agreement which grants the author of any work a legal protection against copying for their lifetime and some years after their death, by default, without needing to make an application or registration of some kind.

Also, it is never okay to just copy someone's work and just throw back a credit link of some kind. Otherwise, people could copy entire books and it would be legally allowed so long as they mentioned the author and/or publisher.

However, maybe I should just wait for @Offshore_Solutions to run their summerhost and pull an Alpharacks, instead of trying to give them classes on legal provisions. It's been long since we haven't had any drama of that sort.

• @stevewatson301 said: pull an Alpharacks,

I tried to buy that domain for $10. Never got a response back.

• edited March 2021

@Boogeyman said:

@stevewatson301 said: pull an Alpharacks,

I tried to buy that domain for $10. Never got a response back.

🤣

For laughs I tried to buy GreenValueHost.com but they wouldn't take less than $1,899

• @skorupion said: He copied your paragraph, posted to his forum, and didn't even delete "(search LET for those)"

Hahaha, nice discovery! So, maybe "Offshore Solutions" is asking sooo many questions here to get some material for his own website!
    In any case, I am used to that (unfortunately). As a professional journalist, I often see my articles on the websites I work for to be published without source and/or link to many other websites in my country.
    We all are using info from several sources (printed, web, television etc.) in the context we create (e.g. quotes from interviews to other sources to include them to our story) but we should always mention the source directly and use an active link when we can. And if we use multiple sources to create a completely new article with new information, we have to include at the end of the article all the sources we took info from.
    In any case, it's fine by me to repost my comment from here, it was just a post I was expressing my experience on web panels. But in general, you are absolutely right that in cases like this, the original author name should be posted - this is a rule!

• edited March 2021

@jvnadr said:
    Hahaha, nice discovery! So, maybe "Offshore Solutions" is asking sooo many questions here to get some material for his own website!

Yes of course I'm asking questions to get help with my website. This thread is to find out which control panel is most like cPanel so I can use it & modify it for my server. I posted a poll between "Paper Lantern" & cPanel 3x theme so I could use the one most popular on my own server.

Isn't it logical that everyone asks questions for their personal use? A forum saves the answers to help others who later come along with the same question.

@jvnadr said:
    We all are using info from several sources (printed, web, television etc.)

Agreed. A good portion of this forum and all forums are uncited pieces of information copied from various sources around the web. However that doesn't always mean it's plagerism in some circumstances (at least not in the USA) due to the "Fair Use" doctrine. Forum posts are held to a lower standard than books, magazines, or newspapers when "Fair Use" comes into play as detailed below.

@jvnadr said:
    In any case, it's fine by me to repost my comment from here, it was just a post I was expressing my experience on web panels.

Your graciousness and intelligent post is greatly appreciated! Thank you for permission to repost it and your username is credited as the author.

@TimboJones said:
    He must have missed the day in grade 7 English class when we all learned plagiarizing was bad.

It's not "plagerism" when the use of copyrighted material falls under "Fair Use."

[The below is copied, source below]
    "In the USA, the "Fair Use" doctrine allows limited use of copyrighted material without permission from the copyright holder for purposes such as criticism, parody, news reporting, research and scholarship, and teaching. There are four factors to consider when determining whether your use is a fair one. You must consider all the factors below, even though all the factors do not have to be in favor of a use to make it a fair one."

"The four factors judges consider are:
    1) Purpose and character of your use
    2) the nature of the copyrighted work
    3) the amount and substantiality of the portion taken, and
    4) the effect of the use upon the potential market."

"A use that benefits the public or that lends to education also weighs heavily in favor of a finding of fair use."

Looking closer at Factor #1 above:
    1) "Purpose and character of the use, including whether the use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes: Courts look at how the party claiming fair use is using the copyrighted work, and are more likely to find that nonprofit educational and noncommercial uses are fair."

In my case, the material was used to educate others on a non-commercial (nonprofit) website. HostBoards currently has no ads, no adsense, nor any way to make a profit. I currently have no hosting business to advertise.

Sources for above:
    https://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/fair-use/four-factors/
    https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/fair-use-rule-copyright-material-30100.html
    https://www.copyright.gov/fair-use/more-info.html

• @Offshore_Solutions said: In my case, the material was used to educate others on a non-commercial (nonprofit) website. HostBoards currently has no ads, no adsense, nor any way to make a profit.

This does not mean non commercial or fair use.

• edited March 2021

@aiden1 said:

@Offshore_Solutions said: In my case, the material was used to educate others on a non-commercial (nonprofit) website. HostBoards currently has no ads, no adsense, nor any way to make a profit.

This does not mean non commercial or fair use.

And you're an Attorney or expert in "Fair Use"? Please continue with your explanation of why it's not.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@jvnadr said:
    In any case, it's fine by me to repost my comment from here, it was just a post I was expressing my experience on web panels.

Your graciousness and intelligent post is greatly appreciated! Thank you for permission to repost it and your username is credited as the author.

But it's not as though you asked for his permission beforehand to repost his comment verbatim without proper attribution.

So you got the order of things wrong.

(And on my reading, I'm not entirely sure that even now he's giving you permission to repost his comment verbatim without proper attribution, but perhaps he is.)

@TimboJones said:

It's not "plagerism" when the use of copyrighted material falls under "Fair Use."

No, you're confusing different things.

Fair use doesn't mean that your obligation to cite your sources disappears. It just means that you don't need special permission to use copyrighted material for certain purposes, but you're still expected to cite your sources.

When you reposted @jvnadr's long comment without any attribution, that was indeed tantamount to plagiarism because any reader would have thought -- since you didn't say otherwise -- that that was your own text.

Thanked by 2TimboJones bulbasaur