Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open Source Control Panel Closest to cPanel? - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Open Source Control Panel Closest to cPanel?

1235»

Comments

• edited March 2021

@angstrom said:
    (And on my reading, I'm not entirely sure that even now he's giving you permission to repost his comment verbatim without proper attribution,

From the moment Skorupion alerted me to the issue on March 28th, I updated my post to credit @jvnadr for the post and that credit remains in the 2nd paragraph. This was human error on my part, one post out of thousands.

We agree that best practices are to cite your source.

@angstrom
    ...that was indeed tantamount to plagiarism...

From my reading of the "Fair Use" doctrine, I have to disagree with you, but neither of us are attorneys and even then, a Judge would need to render a verdict to be sure. The articles indicate that "Fair Use" cases are tricky & can go either way not allowing an easy interpretation of "Fair Use" exceptions.

I've made my point & we can agree to disagree. I won't comment further on "Fair Use."

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited March 2021

@Offshore_Solutions said:

@angstrom

From my reading of the "Fair Use" doctrine, I have to disagree with you, but neither of us are attorneys and even then, a Judge would need to render a verdict to be sure. The articles indicate that "Fair Use" cases are tricky & can go either way not allowing an easy interpretation of "Fair Use" exceptions.

You still seem to (erroneously) think that fair use excuses one from citing one's sources, but this isn't the case (and there's nothing tricky about this).

Take YouTube as an example. There are a number of YouTube channels that comment on other videos. In order to do this effectively, these channels replay parts of the videos that they want to comment on.

Fair use means these YouTube channels don't need to obtain special permission to do this as long as they don't replay too much of the videos in question. (Just how much they are allowed to replay is the tricky part.)

At the same time, fair use doesn't mean that they're excused from saying where the original videos are to be found ("citing one's sources"), and YouTube channels that do things properly do provide links to the original videos. (In any case, it's nearly always clear from the context that the videos commented on aren't the work of the YouTube channel that comments on them.)

Thanked by 2TimboJones bulbasaur
  • @Offshore_Solutions said:

@angstrom

I've made my point & we can agree to disagree. I won't comment further on "Fair Use."

Good, you are certainly unqualified to speaking on it. You can agree to stop commenting, you'll still be wrong. You just copied his work in whole without creating a new work of value, and you can arguably fail the other 3 tests.

Plagiarism:

"Plagiarism is presenting someone else's work or ideas as your own, with or without their consent, by incorporating it into your work without full acknowledgement."

That did happen. Fact.

You seem like a guy who thinks they can loophole themselves through life, but I'm sorry to say, you can't.

• Back in the day there was a free panel called Kloxo and it was cPanel x3 look a like. Through the years I guess the project is abandoned or lost popularity. But as I recall it it was very close to cPanel in terms of interface. I believe today it still exists as a one man show but not very reliable as I see from several WH forums.

Thanked by 1Offshore_Solutions
  • lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

@Offshore_Solutions said: And you're an Attorney or expert in "Fair Use"? Please continue with your explanation of why it's not.

Oh sweet jesus.

Don't just go around screaming it's fair use. Fair use is for things like news reporting where being able to publish copyrighted material (e.g. letters showing corruption) is needed. Not in this case.

@Offshore_Solutions said: more likely to find that nonprofit educational and noncommercial uses are fair

You are republishing things verbatim, without any value-add. While an educational thing like writing an opinion article on posts on your surprising results on cPanel themes is OK, verbatim reposting is deplorable. Keep in mind it says "more likely." Not profiting isn't a shield from the law.

Oh, how about I repost books online verbatim and don't make any money? I'm not profiting but I would still be infringing on copyright and would be sued accordingly.

Since you included your sources, I'll include one too:

Nonprofit organizations should not conclude that just because they are a “nonprofit” that any use of a copyrighted work is a fair use. In most situations, use of a copyrighted work by a nonprofit will not be a fair use.

https://www.beavandenberk.com/ip/copyright-tm/nonprofits-and-the-fair-use-defense/

Oh yeah, and I doubt you're a 501(c)(3), and you only said you are not profiting from it right now.

Why are you trying to create a separate community? How are you benefiting from that?

If you are benefiting in any way, you are profiting from plagiarizing (doesn't have to be monetary), so you'd be in the wrong. If you are creating a separate community for no reason, then you are crazy.

Thanked by 2angstrom bulbasaur
  • edited April 2021

@DreamCaster said:
    Back in the day there was a free panel called Kloxo and it was cPanel x3 look a like. Through the years I guess the project is abandoned or lost popularity. But as I recall it it was very close to cPanel in terms of interface. I believe today it still exists as a one man show but not very reliable as I see from several WH forums.

Excellent point @DreamCaster! Kloxo looks incredibly close to cPanel 3x Classic,
    screenshot here: https://www.tecmint.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Kloxo.png

The Paper Lantern theme is preferred over the Classic but it's still too bad this panel died in 2017 and it appears that the last version of CentOS supported was 5.

Are these panels ever brought back to life or does the age of the original coding pose too great a disadvantage?

• @Offshore_Solutions said: Are these panels ever brought back to life or does the age of the original coding pose too great a disadvantage?

I believe they are not to be used in a 2021 production environment. Too risky. Even those current ones are regularly having security issues such as VestaCP. I do not even want to think of the risks using these legacy software.

Thanked by 1Offshore_Solutions