Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Down - OVH - SBG - Lots and lots of tears. - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Down - OVH - SBG - Lots and lots of tears.

Comments

• @bradyh Where is the proof of no fire suppression system?

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • cazrzcazrz Member

its just the bots failed to trigger the alarm. Must be a glitch on their automated system :-P

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

• DerekDerek Member

That fire was going, I'm curious on how the building was designed and what really caught fire.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited March 2021

There is an unconfirmed message on Twatter that the building had wooden floors.

I doubt that is the case though. I mean, that would be really, really, .... French.

Thanked by 1pike
  • jtkjtk Member

@LTniger said:
    Holy F... This seems first time in datacenters history that actual fire destroy it. I never heard of such incidents in the past.

There have been incidents before. One of the earliest was at the dawn of the modern tech era. The fire that destroyed a CO outside Chicago

Thanked by 1lentro
  • Looking at the pictures I am not sure which ones are before and which ones are after the fire. SBG3 looks like a proper building, but SBG1&2 look like just a bunch of containers stacked on top of each other. Really scary, makes me wonder how my other server locations look like.

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • hetzner has also no real firefighting system

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Now people can start reaching out to their provider(s) asking for pictures of their DCs and racks, so if and when shit hits the fan, you'll know what it looked like before and what it looks like now/after :joy:

• verovero Member, Host Rep

@xx00xx said:
    hetzner has also no real firefighting system

But their servers are cheaper, control panel is incomparably faster and Germany overall has higher standards for everything (construction etc).

Thanked by 3webcraft pike nitro93
  • cazrzcazrz Member

@vero said:

@xx00xx said:

But their servers are cheaper, control panel is incomparably faster and Germany overall has higher standards for everything (construction etc).

Do they also use refurbished containers?

• @xx00xx said:

Source? and which location? @Hetzner_OL might be able to clarify things, although I think your comment is random gibberish

Thanked by 3Falzo pike ariq01
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited March 2021

@xx00xx said:

Interesting, the page mentions only a Fire Detection system but no Fire Suppression system.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@thedp said:
    Now people can start reaching out to their provider(s) asking for pictures of their DCs and racks, so if and when shit hits the fan, you'll know what it looked like before and what it looks like now/after :joy:

My website at @SpartanHost SEA is in good hands:

building

sprinkler

My other server in @MaxKVM AMS looks like this:

So, the wooden floor message was actually true?

• burnt .

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

@cazrz said: Do they also use refurbished containers?

No. You can get a glance of Hetzner's system here:
    https://youtu.be/BiqWKJGRvNM

Their DCs are much nicer than OVH's.

Hetzner (FSN, DE) vs OVH (BHS, CA)

(skip to 0:17 of the OVH video to see their BHS facility. Quite old)

• @DataGizmos said:

@xx00xx said:

Source? and which location? @Hetzner_OL might be able to clarify things, although I think your comment is random gibberish

"your comment is random gibberish" but i am the one who can google ;)

https://www.hetzner.com/unternehmen/rechenzentrum/ at the bottom

Fire Protection

-Modern early warning fire system with direct connection to the local fire department
    -Special door locking systems

Well, if that direct connection system has a hiccup, we will have another OVH DC fire.

I guess OVH DC might have the exact same system as Hetzer but the system malfunctioned like always.

• verovero Member, Host Rep

It looks like some sort of cheap temporary building.

@yoursunny said:
    My website at @SpartanHost SEA is in good hands:

building

The hands holding X6 steering wheel should be really special. Definitely worth the cream you're paying for.

• cazrzcazrz Member

I remember when I purchased a vps at OVH with gravelines location and the system deployed strasbourg instead. LOL looks like its manual deployment I guess.
    I wonder how they will distribute now free credits to those 300k clients in SBG.
    300k X 5 days resolution ticket time = 1.5million days / 100 staffs = 150,000 days = 410 years LOL

It's an accident by fire which, by their ToS, frees them from any SLA compensation.

• btw. nectup:

"Fire alarm system, targeted fire fighting

Smoke alarms in raised flooring and air conditioning units can detect fires very early on and trigger an alarm. The local fire brigade is familiar with the data centre layout and can target firefighting to avoid excessive damage from fire extinguishing materials."

let hosts who have real fire suppression systems are for example:

liteserver (serverius):

php-friends (maincubes):

Fire Suppression Type:
    -Gaseous - Argon/Inergen
    Fire Detection Type:
    -VESDA above/below raised floor

• cazrzcazrz Member

@deank said:
    It's an accident by fire which, by their ToS, frees them from any SLA compensation.

"In RBX+GRA we have the stock of new servers, pcc, pci ready to be delivered for all the impacted customers. Of course for free. We will add 10K servers in the next 3-4 weeks."

Maybe they are only talking about for those 10k clients with SLA with them.

Thanked by 1o_be_one
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

So much for OVH's fire protection system (and DC 'buildings') ...

• cazrzcazrz Member

"In RBX+GRA we have the stock of new servers, pcc, pci ready to be delivered for all the impacted customers. Of course for free. We will add 10K servers in the next 3-4 weeks."

Double bandwidth?

Double of unmetered?

• EddingEdding Member
    edited March 2021

welp atleast during construction there was a wooden floor

• cazrzcazrz Member

@deank said:
    Double of unmetered?

Yes must be double everything or triple in SBG2