Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Down - OVH - SBG - Lots and lots of tears. - Page 10
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Down - OVH - SBG - Lots and lots of tears.

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Everything's fine.

• @cociu Have you noticed an increase in the outgoing traffic of your storage VPS, like people trying to restore their remote backups?

• cociucociu Member

@lorian said: @cociu Have you noticed an increase in the outgoing traffic of your storage VPS, like people trying to restore their remote backups?

i just get the confirmation from my tech guy in oradea we have a grow but i don`t think is due of this incident anyway , will see in the next days. Right now we just finish the upgrade network in bucharest so happy finnaly the network is work like i want.

Thanked by 2lorian lentro
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

I feel sad for OVH. Damn. This was huge, I've been following the updates pretty much every hour.

Thanked by 3yoursunny lentro Ympker
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@MikePT said:
    I feel sad for OVH. Damn. This was huge, I've been following the updates pretty much every hour.

) don't feel sad for OVH, not even a bit. They just got what the odds of their hard playing the profit lottery had coming.

Whom I do feel sad for is OVH's customers.

Thanked by 3vero MikePT nitro93
  • cazrzcazrz Member

@jsg said:

@MikePT said:

) don't feel sad for OVH, not even a bit. They just got what the odds of their hard playing the profit lottery had coming.

yes this.

Thanked by 2vero MikePT

I don't feel sad for OVH customers, either.

Thanked by 2bulbasaur ariq01
    edited March 2021

@jsg said:

@MikePT said:

I have been reading some forums etc. If they didn't bother much about fire extinction systems... Then that's pure stupidity. Heh. And OVH was about to IPO.
    Not sure how many millions they just lost. What about insurance? This is horrid.

Granted, I too feel sad for the OVHs customers.

Thanked by 1lentro
  • cazrzcazrz Member
    edited March 2021

@MikePT said:

@jsg said:

@MikePT said:

I have been reading some forums etc. If they didn't bother much about fire extinction systems... Then that's pure stupidity. Heh. And OVH was about to IPO.
    Not sure how many millions they just lost. What about insurance? This is horrid.

Granted, I too feel sad for the OVHs customers.

If there's insurance maybe they even earn 3x more than the lost, as those servers have already earned and paid for their cost.

Thanked by 1webcraft
    edited March 2021

I read that today is supposed to be OVH's meeting over shareholder profit.

Thanked by 1lentro
  • @cazrz said:

@Tony40 said:
    There are No disaster recovery plan, if you don't have backup.. move on!

OVH should have one for itself. No?

Yes. And it is swinging into action. They are moving in equipment to get as much as they can up and running as soon as they can safely gain access to the site.

Of course their DR plan doesn't cover your data unless you were paying for their backup services, clients thinking otherwise are being unreasonable. Shared/reseller/cloud providers that used their DCs and don't have redundancy/backups/other to cope with this in a timely manner can be justifiably upset at those middlemen for not having proper provision, but not the DC.

A $5 vps that earns $50 is still critical to the client.

So it is critical that said client has good backups and a DR plan. They don't need a complete copy of the VPS, just a copy of the data off-site. That could even be at home. They can then push a copy of that copy up to a new VPS, update some DNS records, and off they go.

It is not standard practise for a VPS provider to provide, at least not a cheap one, complete free backups, much less when you are renting a dedicated server. Name an inexpensive provider that does, if you know one.

OVH may not be perfect, but some people seem to be trying hold them to an unreasonable standard over this.

• @jsg said:

@MikePT said:

You mean the customers who didn't have just got what the odds of their hard playing the profit lottery (by not having backups and other DR plans) had coming?

If that is your standard, all health to you. But try to keep to one standard and apply it evenly, eh?

• cazrzcazrz Member

@MeAtExampleDotCom said:

@cazrz said:

@Tony40 said:
    There are No disaster recovery plan, if you don't have backup.. move on!

OVH should have one for itself. No?

Yes. And it is swinging into action. They are moving in equipment to get as much as they can up and running as soon as they can safely gain access to the site.

Of course their DR plan doesn't cover your data unless you were paying for their backup services, clients thinking otherwise are being unreasonable. Shared/reseller/cloud providers that used their DCs and don't have redundancy/backups/other to cope with this in a timely manner can be justifiably upset at those middlemen for not having proper provision, but not the DC.

A $5 vps that earns $50 is still critical to the client.

So it is critical that said client has good backups and a DR plan. They don't need a complete copy of the VPS, just a copy of the data off-site. That could even be at home. They can then push a copy of that copy up to a new VPS, update some DNS records, and off they go.

It is not standard practise for a VPS provider to provide, at least not a cheap one, complete free backups, much less when you are renting a dedicated server. Name an inexpensive provider that does, if you know one.

OVH may not be perfect, but some people seem to be trying hold them to an unreasonable standard over this.

So their backup service is hosted on a different dc?

• UrDNUrDN Member

@jsg said:
    What a bunch of BS! In fact it's cheaper to run a colo in France, among other reasons and in particular because they have about the lowest el. power costs in western continental Europe and e.g. much cheaper than what german DCs have to pay (and pass on).

It's not just about power. And it's cheaper than in Germany, it's not that cheap.

No. making use of "free air" for cooling (adiabatic cooling) can be - and is - used in a variety of building styles.

It doesn't matter whether or not it is used in other buildings, other buildings may use free air and yet have a design structure to prevent fire such as having fire door and mechanisms to shut the air flow.

No. The same could be done/achieved with other, and more professional, building styles.

What? Why are you talking about other buildings?

Largely No. The problem is hardly the missing walls but the obvious absence of proper fire detection and fire extinction systems.

No, the fire was detected and the firefighters arrived quickly on site and they couldn't contain it.

What kind of a weird and bent logic. DNS slaves are an utterly inept example because, by their very definition, they are redundant. How about the vast majority of web servers?

What? This was just an example to show that we never used OVH for anything serious or critical.

Plus, OVH indirectly admitted it themselves. They had to wait for the fire service to arrive - which is particularly dumb because putting water onto and into servers is bound to destroy what the fire has left.

This is nonsense, what do you think the firefighters would use to put out the fire? Where did they admit that? They have a standard fire detection mechanism and sprinklers.

What OVH did is actually quite simple. They didn't give a f_ck about the safety of their oh so valued customers and instead cut corners beyond what's acceptable to make more profit. Simple as that.

Correct.

Oh and btw, they are not even particularly cheap.

They may not be anymore. But I'm sure they are still one of the cheapest.

edited March 2021

@MikePT said:
    ... And OVH was about to IPO.

Maybe that is why a fire "broke out" in an environment normally very non-conducive for fire ...

I don't point at anyone but fires don't break out without a reason, especially in a DC and being a very major competitor in a globally very competitive, promising, and strategically relevant field and going towards an IPO ... and having a potentially very dangerous weak spot (like no anti-fire systems worth mentioning) ... well, I guess you get what I mean ...

@MeAtExampleDotCom

???

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @cazrz said:

I've not looked into it, I must admit, though I would have thought so given they have DCs in multiple locations. Either the backups as a whole or one of the copies if the service includes redundant copies. That would be a reasonable standard to expect if you are paying for a backup service from them. I'd verify that if I were looking to use such a service of course, due diligence and all that.

Do you have information that says the paid for backups were held only locally to the servers hosting the data to be backed up?

@UrDN said:
    It's not just about power. And it's cheaper than in Germany, it's not that cheap.

Your point

I think that people should realize that OVH operates in one of the most expensive country in the world and yet provides the cheapest services in the world.

Is wrong anyway. Btw, ask some providers operating globally and you'll learnb about some really expensive places.

No. making use of "free air" for cooling (adiabatic cooling) can be - and is - used in a variety of building styles.

It doesn't matter whether or not it is used in other buildings, other buildings may use free air and yet have a design structure to prevent fire such as having fire door and mechanisms to shut the air flow.

Do you even know what you are talking about? (a) your point was obviously nonsensical. Adiabatic cooling has nothing to do with what happened. (b) plenty of other DCs have smaller, similarly sized, as well as larger halls than OVH. (c) Yes, adiabatic cooling (usually) does save costs - but many DCs use that nowadays.

No. The same could be done/achieved with other, and more professional, building styles.

What? Why are you talking about other buildings?

Because that and the lack of anti-fire systems was the major factor.

Largely No. The problem is hardly the missing walls but the obvious absence of proper fire detection and fire extinction systems.

No, the fire was detected and the firefighters arrived quickly on site and they couldn't contain it.

The relevant points are (a) when, how fast the fire was detected, and (b) how quickly appropriate extinguishing measures were activated. Obviously the answer to both questions are extremely unsatisfactory.

Plus, OVH indirectly admitted it themselves. They had to wait for the fire service to arrive - which is particularly dumb because putting water onto and into servers is bound to destroy what the fire has left.

This is nonsense, what do you think the firefighters would use to put out the fire? Where did they admit that? They have a standard fire detection mechanism and sprinklers.

Try to use your brain. What does "they had sprinklers" plus "the firefighters couldn't put out the fire" plus "one or more DC halls burned down and many thousand servers were rendered unusable" boil down to?
    Hint: Whatever OVH had or had not in place couldn't contain and much less put out the fire.

As for your question: Water. That's what firefighters usually use to put out fires in buildings. And that's exactly why decent DCs have their own and appropriate anti-fire system.

They may not be anymore. But I'm sure they are still one of the cheapest.

Yes, "cheap" as in "anti-fire systems? Nuh, needless cost".

edited March 2021

@jsg said:

@MikePT said:
    ... And OVH was about to IPO.

Maybe that is why a fire "broke out" in an environment normally very non-conducive for fire ...

I don't point at anyone but fires don't break out without a reason, especially in a DC and being a very major competitor in a globally very competitive, promising, and strategically relevant field and going towards an IPO ... and having a potentially very dangerous weak spot (like no anti-fire systems worth mentioning) ... well, I guess you get what I mean ...

@MeAtExampleDotCom

???

It'll be interesting to know what really happened. If we ever do! They had announced the IPO two days ago. Coincidence or not.

Tho, wood floor. Really? Fire proof or they cut corners too?

Thanked by 2jsg lentro

Well, I bet it was electrical fire caused by damaged wires.

That + wooden floor = a recipe for disaster.

Thanked by 1MikePT

@deank said:
    Well, I bet it was electrical fire caused by damaged wires.

That + wooden floor = a recipe for disaster.

Who knows!

• cazrzcazrz Member

@MeAtExampleDotCom said:

@cazrz said:

I've not looked into it, I must admit, though I would have thought so given they have DCs in multiple locations. Either the backups as a whole or one of the copies if the service includes redundant copies. That would be a reasonable standard to expect if you are paying for a backup service from them. I'd verify that if I were looking to use such a service of course, due diligence and all that.

Do you have information that says the paid for backups were held only locally to the servers hosting the data to be backed up?

Nope I have no idea about their backups because I don't use the backup of the provider where my service is at. I use a different dc and diff provider.

Still they are responsible for what happened on their house. Even if someone intentionally burn it or even if caused by nature. Even if they have ToS. That's IMHO.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited March 2021

@jsg said: and instead cut corners beyond what's acceptable to make more profit. Simple as that.
    Oh and btw, they are not even particularly cheap.

They are cheap though... Their Kimsufi brand has dedicated servers for less than $20/month. Sure, they're 12-year-old Opterons or Xeons or low-end Atoms, but it's still a physical dedicated server.

Really, nobody should be relying on a cheap provider to have a full backup of all their servers. I read stories today about some businesses who had both their main servers AND their backups in the same data center, and both were destroyed in the fire. Please DON'T store your backups in the same data center (or ideally even with the same provider) as your main servers!

@UrDN said: In order to achieve that they have to figure out ways to reduce the cost to the extreme, and one good way to achieve this is to make use of Free Air to cool down the servers.

You can use outside air to cool your servers while also having proper fire suppression at the same time :tongue: Facebook's data center in Sweden is air-cooled: https://www.computerworld.com/article/2499653/facebook-will-cool-its-first-european-data-center-for-free-in-sweden.html

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • UrDNUrDN Member

@jsg said:
    Is wrong anyway. Btw, ask some providers operating globally and you'll learnb about some really expensive places.

There are expensive places in France too where you have to pay the price if you want decent fire protection.

Do you even know what you are talking about? (a) your point was obviously nonsensical. Adiabatic cooling has nothing to do with what happened. (b) plenty of other DCs have smaller, similarly sized, as well as larger halls than OVH. (c) Yes, adiabatic cooling (usually) does save costs - but many DCs use that nowadays.

Yes, I know what I am talking about. Thank you. Yes many DCs use free cooling and yet are properly built to prevent fire. What are you talking about? Obviously we are just miscommunicating.

The relevant points are (a) when, how fast the fire was detected, and (b) how quickly appropriate extinguishing measures were activated. Obviously the answer to both questions are extremely unsatisfactory.

The relevant point is, where did you read that the fire wasn't detected and that the sprinklers have not worked? I am pretty confident that they have worked, just that they couldn't stop it.

Hint: Whatever OVH had or had not in place couldn't contain and much less put out the fire.

Who said the contrary?

• I heard something about someone finding some graphite nearby..

Oh, boy, I hope he didn't pick that up!

• @MikeA said: I only have... had.. one server in SBG, but it is a VPS system. Sad but funny I was watching the load skyrocket and wondering what was wrong, I never would have thought that the server was dying from the heat. Then it stopped pinging.

R.I.P SBG2.

Interesting, if you had 3rd party system monitoring to track/chart this, it would be interesting to see!

• @deank said:
    Oh, boy, I hope he didn't pick that up!

Even touching will spell the end anyway. Hell, even getting close will be enough.

The end is nigh.