Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What was your first VPS? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What was your first VPS?

Comments

• LeviLevi Member
    edited December 2020

I started from dedicated server at theplanet.com. I don't remember how much it was :-/ . After that it was from jaguarpc.com :) those guys was ultra premium.

• My first VPS must have been with JohnCompanies or RootBSD, since they were basically the only ones supporting BSD in the early 2000's. But it was expensive and a pita to manage, so I pretty soon moved everything to dedicated hardware at Layered Tech and ran my own VPS's on that for about 10 years.

• My first VPS from mpserv.net (now vortexserver),
    128MB $4/year (discount from LEB) since 2014.

Btw, Vortexserver still operate?

• orion504orion504 Member
    edited December 2020

Mine was Bluehost around 2009, unlimited space but mostly idle because of no visitor except myself :joy:. Lurking around LEB for a while before ending up with LET. Still dont know the relationship between them. I thought both were the same 😂 but there are more exclusive deals in LET than in the other.

• my first vps was from a free tier of openstack and 2 paid openvz vps from Crissic in LA and Jacksonville.

• DigitalOcean $5 plan in SFO1 with free credits from GitHub Education

• My first server was a 16mb/2gb UML VPS for $5 from corevps.com in 2005. The site was later acquired by Russell Foster (for those who have heard this name before).

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited December 2020
    • My first VPS came from @BlueVM, and it was obtained from LEB. It was a very good VPS located in Illinois, and was very happy with it. I paid $20/year for it, until company was sold a few years later.

• My first shell came from Nic-Nac-Project.de (now called FreeShell). I obtained it in 2004 by sending a postcard to owner of project Sebastian Krajenski. This shell was my first interaction with Debian Linux, allowing me to learn and test scripting. I still use it today as a backup email. A big thank you to Sebastian Krajenski.

• My first dedicated server came from OVH in 2010. It was a Real Private Server (also called RPS at the time) with about the same specs as the VPS from BlueVM. I paid ~$200/year for this dedicated server and used it for about 3 years.

• My first physical server was a Pentium 1 with 24mb RAM and 500mb HDD. I used it as PC until 2002, then used it as a router + firewall until 2006 for the fun of tinkering with it. Now I have Raspberry Pi Zero and 3B+ for playing.

Thanked by 2themew raindog308
  • i kinda miss lowendadmin

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • 1GB, Shinjiru

• My first VPS I got from a friend working at server4you, on his testing dedi. I used it as a replacement for an old laptop that was used to host teamspeak 3 servers on my 6k DSL line. Thank you Roberto.

• AmplificatorAmplificator Member
    edited December 2020

My first was from LEB.. I just can't remember the providers name for the life of me and I'm fairly sure it was a summer host. I think they had "box" in the name - one day they just disappeared and my server stopped working, so that was great.

They say you never forget your first.. well, I didn't, just not the name or any other actual details of it :smile:

But the first "serious" VPS I got was @LiteServer - I had a bunch of minor ones running with them and always had great support and great uptime.

Thanked by 1LiteServer
  • GiulioGiulio Member
    edited December 2020

I started with a 15$ yearly I believe 128 or 256MB OpenVZ plan from the now long defunct NordicVPS. I had found it on LEB, and despite being a crappy provider overall it had a killer price for the time.
    Still, thanks to them I started my server administration journey!

Here it is:
    https://lowendbox.com/blog/nordicvps-15year-128mb-openvz-vps-in-germany-exclusive-offer/

Ah the good old times:
    http://web.archive.org/web/20110128135356/http://nordicvps.com/

• @LTniger said:
    I started from dedicated server at theplanet.com. I don't remember how much it was :-/ . After that it was from jaguarpc.com :) those guys was ultra premium.

Wow.. theplanet.com -- you just blew my mind. Haven't thought about them in about a decade. :)

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • My first VPS was with Host1Free.

Then my first, real usage, VPS was hosted with budgetvz.com. Back then they were really great - until they deadpooled.

They even had IPv6, back then in 2015, unlike some providers around here nowadays.

Then OVH, Contabo, HostMyBytes, some romanian scam host, Scaleway, WisHosting, Noez, ...

• My first was burst.net lol

• Can't remember who exactly was my first vm did have a burstnet so will say that.

My first dedicated was OVH RPS was pretty much pure garbage with network based disks.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

Mine was URPad.net $12 - 256MB OpenVZ & they were very popular at that time.

https://lowendbox.com/blog/urpad-12year-256mb-openvz-vps-in-los-angeles-dallas-and-buffalo/

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@gdarko said:
    Hetzner - 2013
    Iniz - 2014
    Crissic - 2014-2015

After that i switched to hetzner and lately netcup.

Ah Crissic, My most loved provider it was ! 🥰

• Haven't been using VPS's for that long... First one would've been a OVH VPS SSD 1 (2gb ram / 1 core 2.4GHz CPU / 10gb SSD) for like $3.50/mo.

• 2012 urpad then met chicago vps :D

• My transition was from first dedicated in 2000 at Rackspace managed hosting and then downgrade to my first experience with VPS was a managed VPS with Wiredtree ~2003 IIRC. Come along way from Linux noob to developing my own LEMP stack :D

Thanked by 1Daniel15
  • Greenvaluehost, they advertise here. My first international purchase, using PayPal :)

• BudgetVM, which is still advertising on LEB.

• VPSDIME, 7$, 2015

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@akhfa said:
    Greenvaluehost, they advertise here. My first international purchase, using PayPal :)

Was it also your first chargeback?

Francisco

Thanked by 1lokuzard
  • RackSRV, 12 years ago.

• @akb said: My first server was a 16mb/2gb UML VPS for $5 from corevps.com in 2005. The site was later acquired by Russell Foster (for those who have heard this name before).

Screenshot: XMB Forum :) Another thing from the past, no one use XMB anymore.. was a great alternative that looked cool at the time

• google cloudvps.

• I think BuyVM took my VPS virginity, had to wait on IRC to grab it too. Before that it was all dedicated servers.

Thanked by 1Francisco