Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What was your first VPS? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What was your first VPS?

Comments

• WeblogicsWeblogics Member
    edited December 2020

My first VPS was from Urpad. Think it was in 2011 / 2012.

Think this the same spec VPS I purchased.

https://lowendbox.com/blog/urpad-5-99month-1024mb-openvz-vps-in-dallas-tx/

Thanked by 1ChrisMiller
  • windows vps from aminserve on wjunction forum, not the cheapest, not a very good value too.
    and then first linux vps from beamservers, again not a very good value, bought it just because they are the cheapest and pretty popular on wjunction.
    and then that all ended just after someone from wjunction mention about LEB.

• DianTamaDianTama Member
    edited December 2020

My first VPS is with a Local Indonesian provider for hosting my Minecraft Server.
    I got it for $40/Month with 4 Core E3 CPU, 6 GB of RAM. Rented it for 2 years, so far the best local provider I know

Edit: Fix some wording and add invoice

Thanked by 1Ganonk
  • that damnvps. i believe i used them in the past. :D > @K4Y5 said:

@raindog308 said:
    Mine was vpslink. Didn't even qualify for LET pricing. I don't think they've updated their pricing since I bought it...I think I had the link-3. A towering 256MB of RAM, 10GB of disk, and 300GB of bandwidth for $19.95/month!

http://vpslink.com/xen-vps/

The most famous article in LEB history used a vpslink-1 for its example. For its day, vpslink was OK...ish...I didn't stay long.

I then moved on to DamnVPS. That was a sad time in my life. They're dead now.

Then I found LET.

This brings back memories! - https://web.archive.org/web/20120103112811/https://hostigation.com/

My first real VPS (KVM) was with @miTgiB from Hostigation back in October 2012.
    He was one hell of a guy who provided rock solid services, and didn't seem to mind answering some of my newbie questions back then.

I hope he's well in 2020.

hostigation is premium back then.

• Scaleway's arm instance

• I think they were with ginernet ( @jmginer ) 9.99 €/year SSD OpenVZ :: Spain ALICANTE :: 5 GB SSD + 512 MB

• I think I started with a Linode back in 2006-2007 or something, when their smallest instance cost $20 pr month.. :)

• Virtuozzo on ev1servers

• mine was with INIZ, back 2013-2014
    VPSBoard - 2GB - $26 USD
    Operating System: Ubuntu 14.04 32Bit
    Extra IP Address: 0 Extra IPs (1 Total)

• my first vps was namecheap, 512m ram for 27 usd per month.

Thanked by 1farsighter
  • BuyVM OpenVZ 128MB RAM for $15 / year

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
    edited December 2020

@raindog308 @MaxKVM :D

That's for VPS.

First dedicated server would be at Netsonic in 05 and then JustEdge, CoreNetworks and SwiftCo in 07/08 etc..

Thanked by 1MaxKVM
  • I started with ARUBA Cloud 1 eur promo in 2018. I cancelled it when the price increased to 3 eur. I very sattisfied with it.

Currently, I use Contabo, bought a VPSSlim on BF, early tried DigitalOcean and Oracle Free Tier.

• serv_eeserv_ee Member
    edited December 2020

Not an VPS but got my first dedicated somewhere back in 2009 from server4you

First VPS tho? Probably last year. Edit: Nope..my first VPS ever was this year. Lol

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

A "go vserv one" from Pretago back in 2007 (the brand does no longer exist). I do not remember its specs, but it came with Confixx preinstalled which was a pain in the ass to remove from the system.

It cost 9.99 EUR/mo. Wow. I don't pay 9.99/mo for ANY of my VPS nowadays...

• MY first VPS was actually on this one - https://www.vilayer.com/

But it turned out to be a scamming site.. paid and only got wrong login :p

• indiankeshindiankesh Member
    edited December 2020

Not a VPS it was a bare metal dedicated (512$/m) first one was a solid one in 2014 from Softlayer , IBM.

Made a common mistake and rented one big dedicated box instead of going with couple of awesome VPS. Still hurts 😂

Vps were from multiple providers first one was from Digital ocean 2016 then there were hostsailor , linode etc

• i'm newbie here, my first vps from @HostSailor with XEN 512 $12/year. thanks you :heart:

Thanked by 2ariq01 HostSailor
  • Standard 1GB RAM VPS for $5/m on Vultr. Found LET and never return.

• Very early noughties, servelocity.net, UML (user mode linux) and either 16 (yes really) or 32 MB I can't remember; pretty sure it was £10/month.

• It was good 'ol Bezos, found AWS via the GitHub Student Pack. Then found smaller semi-LE providers (Vultr, Linode), then I found LET.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • burstnet, 2009/2010

• gdarkogdarko Member
    edited December 2020

Hetzner - 2013
    Iniz - 2014
    Crissic - 2014-2015

After that i switched to hetzner and lately netcup.

• emreemre Member, LIR

First Ever Dedicated server

Received: from mail.dialtoneinternet.net [216.87.222.22] by mail.xx.net with ESMTP  (SMTPD32-6.00) id A2C06F90122; Fri, 14 Apr 2000 12:09:36 -0400
    Received: from dialtoneinternet.net ([216.87.223.254])          by mail.dialtoneinternet.net (Post.Office MTA v3.5.1 release 219          ID# 0-55229U3000L300S0V35) with ESMTP id net          for ; Fri, 14 Apr 2000 12:12:16 -0400
    X-Priority: 3
    X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
    Sender: "shafty"
    X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.0.6000.16386
    Message-ID: <[email protected]>
    Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 12:09:20 -0400
    Organization: Dialtone Internet
    X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.72 [en] (X11; U; Linux 2.2.14 i686)
    X-Accept-Language: en
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    To: 
    Subject: Important message from Dialtone Internet Technical Department. 

Fri, 14 Apr 2000

Your Machine Specifications are:

CPU Make/Speed: Pentium II 400Mhz
    Hard Disk Capacity: 8.3Gb EIDE
    NIC Make/Model: 3Com 3c905x
    RAM: 64Mb
    Additional: N/A

Redhat 6.1

invoice:

Invoice # 13803 for 'xx'

Issued on 14 July, 2000
    Due date is 16 July, 2000
    Payment is due on or before 16 July, 2000
     (July 16, 2000 thru August 15, 2000 - Billed Monthly)

FOR THE FOLLOWING ITEM(S):

1    x  Linux dedicated  I -  - $225.00

v4 ip addressess were free and you can request more and no limit.

each domain hosted had it's own v4 ip address..

Thanked by 1Daniel15

@emre said: each domain hosted had it's own v4 ip address..

Classic :joy:

• JioJio Member
    edited December 2020

@thedp said: First dedicated server would be at Netsonic in 05 and then JustEdge, CoreNetworks and SwiftCo in 07/08 etc..

This sounds like IRC user haha, I remember my indonesian friend have server at justedge because they provide so many cheap IPs for stupid reverse dns.. 200 character long.. just for show off

What ever happen to corenetworks $10-20 dedicated?

@Jio said:

@thedp said: First dedicated server would be at Netsonic in 05 and then JustEdge, CoreNetworks and SwiftCo in 07/08 etc..

This sounds like IRC user haha, I remember my indonesian friend have server at justedge because they provide so many cheap IPs for stupid reverse dns.. 200 character long.. just for show off

Yeah, I used to run IRC-related services for a bunch of close friends back in the days :D

@Jio said: What ever happen to corenetworks $10-20 dedicated?

Plan:        Dedicated Server: Upper-range UR30
    Bandwidth:   Bandwidth: 3Mbps - Unmetered
    Software:   
    IPs:         3
    Monthly:     $80.95

Mental.

• @thedp said: Mental.

Look at mister fancy with the Upper Range server ;)

The days of "as much ipv4 as you want, just ask, no justification" are so far away...