Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Friday 2020 - NVMe and Storage deals - deploy worldwide - Page 123
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Black Friday 2020 - NVMe and Storage deals - deploy worldwide

Comments

• @Moenis I rather use update-grub instead of grub-install, but of course that might totally depend on the OS you used before... other than that your steps looked okay. maybe also check UUIDs in /etc/fstab vs blkid given that those could potentially have changed.

however, glad if you could solve it anyway!

Thanked by 1Moenis
  • Solid VMs for sure. Been hammering mine and it's still crazy fast. When downloading big files has anyone noticed the connection will drop? Not sure if it gets throttled... Like it goes from 20MB/s... to 50 MB/s ... to 80MB/s ... to 100 MB/s .. then 0 MB/s.. seems the connection gets cut off/throttled, like some sort of false DDOS detection? I'd be happier for a lower connection speed (50MB/s) w/o throttling.. Not sure really, maybe it's just my settings.

• @jokotan said:

@Moenis said:
    The data was recovered successfully
    Thank you for your help

did you choose the way with backup&restore or somehow fix the problem with boot?

Unfortunately, I was unable to restore the system, but I backed up all my data from rescue mode.

• MoenisMoenis Member
    edited December 2020

@Falzo said:

I also tried using /usr/sbin/update-grub before, but it prompted me to "/usr/sbin/update-grub line 3:exec: Grub-mkconfig :not found",I'm looking it up on Google.This seems to be a PATH question.But I couldn't solve it, so I abandoned this method

Although I've recovered the data,But Before I reinstall the OS, I checked what you said,But that doesn't seem to be the problem,Anyway, the data is back. In the future, I will do data backup more frequently

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @hosthatch any Christmas deals coming in?

• @Asim said:
    @hosthatch any Christmas deals coming in?

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3179964#Comment_3179964

Most likely 24th. I will let you guys know the date/time before though. We've probably gotten over a hundred requests (counting PMs, emails, sales requests) of people asking for the BF deals.

Christmas promos will not be anything like the BF pricing and I know that will leave many people annoyed/disappointed for not being able to get the same price as they could have less than one month ago. The quantity available per plan will also be quite limited. In the end though - still a lot of value for money, and way better performance than you can find anywhere else for even 2x the price in most cases.

Thanked by 2Asim ferri
  • aRNoLDaRNoLD Member
    edited December 2020

Hosthatch said will let you guys know the date/time, and now it is 21st of Dec, three days before 24th. The best guess is he/they will post a thread of notice/announcement soon, say within 48 hrs? 48 hours is my best guess. Maybe shorter.

Judging from not...get the same price, another guess is, for example, 2tb-sto/chi plan will be 90 usd for two years, in another way, about $5-$10 increase as compared to bf's $40/yr?

Hope I am the fortune teller.

Any other tries on the specific pricing?

Personally, I am eager for the 2C-4G plan in Warsaw, an exotic dc.

• ChronicChronic Member
    edited December 2020

Anyone have their invoice date adjusted to when the server was provisioned, as was promised at some point in this thread? Or the billing period?

• @Chronic said: Anyone have their invoice date adjusted to when the server was provisioned, as was promised at some point in this thread? Or the billing period?

Some of mine were adjusted and some of them were not.

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited December 2020

@Chronic said:
    Anyone have their invoice date adjusted to when the server was provisioned, as was promised at some point in this thread? Or the billing period?

I ordered two storage VPSes, a 10x bundle, and a 3x bundle, all during the flash sales. VPSes in the 10x bundle have all had their invoice dates adjusted, however neither storage VPS has been adjusted yet. The 3x bundle hasn't been provisioned yet (ETA December 31)

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • @aRNoLD said:
    Hosthatch said will let you guys know the date/time, and now it is 21st of Dec, three days before 24th. The best guess is he/they will post a thread of notice/announcement soon, say within 48 hrs? 48 hours is my best guess. Maybe shorter.

Judging from not...get the same price, another guess is, for example, 2tb-sto/chi plan will be 90 usd for two years, in another way, about $5-$10 increase as compared to bf's $40/yr?

Why do you want it in an exotic Warsaw DC?

• @yolo_me said:

@aRNoLD said:

Why do you want it in an exotic Warsaw DC?

I had machines located in North America/US+CA, in Asia/HK+JP, and almost in EU(hostsolution just broke down when placing orders). I want try sth/location new. I have never been to EU, and Warsaw is one of my (perceived) mysterious cities. Hosthatch just has its expansion there, and it has competitive plans globally. So why not wait and see, in addition to predeployed HK machines, the joy of grabbing a new one there? Few people even think of having one there, so my guess is few people will compete with you for hosthatch's customer care programs?

• @Daniel15 said: however neither storage VPS has been adjusted yet

Same, thanks for letting me know guys. They've got time, just wanted to make sure it wasn't just me.

• Looking for a low mem (2GB) personal cloud solution for sycing photos, videos and files to run on the storage VM. tried nextcloud too bulky and slow, also tried owncloud, difficult...need a more nimble and simple solution, please suggest

• @balaji_pitchumani said:
    Looking for a low mem (2GB) personal cloud solution for sycing photos, videos and files to run on the storage VM. tried nextcloud too bulky and slow, also tried owncloud, difficult...need a more nimble and simple solution, please suggest

Try Seafile.

If it's for photos and videos specifically, you could try something more media-focused like OwnPhotos or PhotoStructure. The Google Photos thread in /r/selfhosted has some useful links.

• I just post a test comment to see if I can get email notification on my mobile phone if someone make a comment in this post especially hosthatch.

This was supposed to work because I checked my account setting->notification setting as long as I bookmarked this post and someone make a comment, I should receive email notification.

So that I wont miss the Xmas deal and place an order in seconds, damn, I already missed the Black Friday offer, I don't want to miss this time.

• @newbiclub said:
    I just post a test comment to see if I can get email notification on my mobile phone if someone make a comment in this post especially hosthatch.

This was supposed to work because I checked my account setting->notification setting as long as I bookmarked this post and someone make a comment, I should receive email notification.

So that I wont miss the Xmas deal and place an order in seconds, damn, I already missed the Black Friday offer, I don't want to miss this time.

ooops, this does not work! what can I do? glue my eyes on this post all day?
    anyone have a good idea which I can be informed as soon as hosthatch post something? seems like no function of following somebody.

• Checking this post everyday...> @balaji_pitchumani said:

Looking for a low mem (2GB) personal cloud solution for sycing photos, videos and files to run on the storage VM. tried nextcloud too bulky and slow, also tried owncloud, difficult...need a more nimble and simple solution, please suggest

FileRun is my GoTo solutions if you do not need plugins.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Madrid has just been delivered :)

• @Nyr said:
    Madrid has just been delivered :)

:) now you have something below 5ms

• Italy as well!

• PilzbaumPilzbaum Member
    edited December 2020

Quick YABS, for those who are interested

Italy/Milan:

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2020-12-07                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #

Wed Dec 23 09:15:33 EST 2020

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2690 v2 @ 3.00GHz
    CPU cores  : 1 @ 2999.998 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM        : 1.9 GiB
    Swap       : 64.0 MiB
    Disk       : 19.6 GiB

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 183.68 MB/s  (45.9k) | 2.15 GB/s    (33.6k)
    Write      | 184.17 MB/s  (46.0k) | 2.16 GB/s    (33.8k)
    Total      | 367.85 MB/s  (91.9k) | 4.32 GB/s    (67.5k)
               |                      |                     
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
    Read       | 2.93 GB/s     (5.7k) | 3.20 GB/s     (3.1k)
    Write      | 3.09 GB/s     (6.0k) | 3.41 GB/s     (3.3k)
    Total      | 6.02 GB/s    (11.7k) | 6.61 GB/s     (6.4k)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed     
                    |                           |                 |                
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 932 Mbits/sec   | 1.47 Gbits/sec 
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 937 Mbits/sec   | 1.86 Gbits/sec 
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 922 Mbits/sec   | 1.85 Gbits/sec 
    Biznet          | Jakarta, Indonesia (1G)   | 290 Mbits/sec   | 252 Mbits/sec  
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 888 Mbits/sec   | 1.31 Gbits/sec 
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 848 Mbits/sec   | 1.49 Gbits/sec 
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 830 Mbits/sec   | 1.04 Gbits/sec 
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | busy            | 779 Mbits/sec  

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value                         
                    |                               
    Single Core     | 630                           
    Multi Core      | 648                           
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/5487342

Spain/Madrid:

Wed Dec 23 09:15:28 EST 2020

Read       | 207.18 MB/s  (51.7k) | 1.81 GB/s    (28.3k)
    Write      | 207.72 MB/s  (51.9k) | 1.82 GB/s    (28.4k)
    Total      | 414.90 MB/s (103.7k) | 3.63 GB/s    (56.7k)
               |                      |                     
    Read       | 2.82 GB/s     (5.5k) | 2.92 GB/s     (2.8k)
    Write      | 2.97 GB/s     (5.8k) | 3.12 GB/s     (3.0k)
    Total      | 5.80 GB/s    (11.3k) | 6.05 GB/s     (5.9k)

Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 713 Mbits/sec   | 690 Mbits/sec  
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 928 Mbits/sec   | 936 Mbits/sec  
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 932 Mbits/sec   | 935 Mbits/sec  
    Biznet          | Jakarta, Indonesia (1G)   | 744 Mbits/sec   | 191 Mbits/sec  
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 887 Mbits/sec   | 893 Mbits/sec  
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 846 Mbits/sec   | 863 Mbits/sec  
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 807 Mbits/sec   | 477 Mbits/sec  
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | 572 Mbits/sec   | 567 Mbits/sec  

Test            | Value                         
                    |                               
    Single Core     | 675                           
    Multi Core      | 679                           
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/5487314

EDIT: Most interesting is the network to me (HH manages to keep disk and cpu performance, which is top notch btw, very equal on all machines, so this is basically the same for every location).
    I am super impressed by those network speeds. I certainly believe there are quite some route optimizations in place, even latency to far away locations is mostly very nice. Thanks, they are epic!

Disclaimer: Those are probably on a completely empty node, and cpu performance is burstable upto 100% on those. Numbers might vary in the future and from machine to machine.

Thanked by 1chocolateshirt
  • @Pilzbaum said:
    Quick YABS, for those who are interested

Italy/Milan:

Wed Dec 23 09:15:33 EST 2020

Read       | 183.68 MB/s  (45.9k) | 2.15 GB/s    (33.6k)
    Write      | 184.17 MB/s  (46.0k) | 2.16 GB/s    (33.8k)
    Total      | 367.85 MB/s  (91.9k) | 4.32 GB/s    (67.5k)
               |                      |                     
    Read       | 2.93 GB/s     (5.7k) | 3.20 GB/s     (3.1k)
    Write      | 3.09 GB/s     (6.0k) | 3.41 GB/s     (3.3k)
    Total      | 6.02 GB/s    (11.7k) | 6.61 GB/s     (6.4k)

Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 932 Mbits/sec   | 1.47 Gbits/sec 
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 937 Mbits/sec   | 1.86 Gbits/sec 
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 922 Mbits/sec   | 1.85 Gbits/sec 
    Biznet          | Jakarta, Indonesia (1G)   | 290 Mbits/sec   | 252 Mbits/sec  
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 888 Mbits/sec   | 1.31 Gbits/sec 
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 848 Mbits/sec   | 1.49 Gbits/sec 
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 830 Mbits/sec   | 1.04 Gbits/sec 
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | busy            | 779 Mbits/sec  

Test            | Value                         
                    |                               
    Single Core     | 630                           
    Multi Core      | 648                           
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/5487342

Spain/Madrid:

Wed Dec 23 09:15:28 EST 2020

Read       | 207.18 MB/s  (51.7k) | 1.81 GB/s    (28.3k)
    Write      | 207.72 MB/s  (51.9k) | 1.82 GB/s    (28.4k)
    Total      | 414.90 MB/s (103.7k) | 3.63 GB/s    (56.7k)
               |                      |                     
    Read       | 2.82 GB/s     (5.5k) | 2.92 GB/s     (2.8k)
    Write      | 2.97 GB/s     (5.8k) | 3.12 GB/s     (3.0k)
    Total      | 5.80 GB/s    (11.3k) | 6.05 GB/s     (5.9k)

Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 713 Mbits/sec   | 690 Mbits/sec  
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 928 Mbits/sec   | 936 Mbits/sec  
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 932 Mbits/sec   | 935 Mbits/sec  
    Biznet          | Jakarta, Indonesia (1G)   | 744 Mbits/sec   | 191 Mbits/sec  
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 887 Mbits/sec   | 893 Mbits/sec  
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 846 Mbits/sec   | 863 Mbits/sec  
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 807 Mbits/sec   | 477 Mbits/sec  
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | 572 Mbits/sec   | 567 Mbits/sec  

Test            | Value                         
                    |                               
    Single Core     | 675                           
    Multi Core      | 679                           
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/5487314

EDIT: Most interesting is the network to me (HH manages to keep disk and cpu performance, which is top notch btw, very equal on all machines, so this is basically the same for every location).
    I am super impressed by those network speeds. I certainly believe there are quite some route optimizations in place, even latency to far away locations is mostly very nice. Thanks, they are epic!

Disclaimer: Those are probably on a completely empty node, and cpu performance is burstable upto 100% on those. Numbers might vary in the future and from machine to machine.

You know which DC?

• hosthatchhosthatch Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Seeweb Milan and Interxion Madrid. We'll add the info and LGs to the website later today.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@Pilzbaum - Are those from the Combo (Milan, Madrid & Sydney) deal?

• @webcraft said:

@tetech said:
    Since things have quietened down, question about the 10% for existing customers mentioned on the first page,

In addition to this, if you choose to keep your old service with us active (ie not replace it with a new server, but add a new server), you will have another 10% off.

I saw questions about how this is applied but not the mechanics of activating it. Does it require a ticket? To be honest, I'm not too fussed about this year which is already paid, but maybe for next year's invoice.

Give them a note in your order ticket. If your service has already been deployed, just drop them a sales inquiry/request (via their ticket system).

As an existing customer I did drop a ticket about this but was told NO. I guess you had to apply the 10% yourself during the order process, which seemed risky to me at the time.

• PilzbaumPilzbaum Member
    edited December 2020

@thedp said:

Nope, I selected some locations I wanted to have myself. Luckily, Madrid and Milan were both one of these. I got Warsaw as well. I can share some yabs results (or any others if preferred) as well, if needed.

• @Pilzbaum said:

@thedp said:

Nope, I selected some locations I wanted to have myself. Luckily, Madrid and Milan were both one of these. I got Warsaw as well. I can share some yabs results (or any others if preferred) as well, if needed.

how can you get Warsaw as well? I don't locate these places from the control panel.

Under KVM section, there are only Zurich & Vienna (besides osl, lon, sto, and etc).

• hosthatchhosthatch Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@cochon said:

As an existing customer I did drop a ticket about this but was told NO. I guess you had to apply the 10% yourself during the order process, which seemed risky to me at the time.

Someone requested a discount to be applied recently and was it was done. This person shared it on some forum, and we got nearly 50 requests for discounts in the next couple of hours, mostly from people who didn't even qualify for it.

So we made the decision to not apply this anymore for all requests. Otherwise we will be dealing with these requests 6 months from now too. The promotion has expired.

Thanked by 2vyas11 JohnFilch123
  • @hosthatch said:

@cochon said:

Someone requested a discount to be applied recently and was it was done. This person shared it on some forum, and we got nearly 50 requests for discounts in the next couple of hours, mostly from people who didn't even qualify for it.

So we made the decision to not apply this anymore for all requests. Otherwise we will be dealing with these requests 6 months from now too. The promotion has expired.

Yes, no problem, I am indeed one of those who only remembered about the discount after being prompted in a post, probably one of the 50. It's no big deal, the node was good value at the BF price and working very well, Merry Christmas to you all at HostHatch.

Thanked by 1hosthatch