Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lets stop with the assumptions... - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Lets stop with the assumptions...

Comments

• Iniz said "Unlike a company here whom maybe hated by a lot but the service is delivered and no front up lies or bs and will gladly help you expand."

Limestone Networks in Dallas? I used them for 3 1/2 years and my only real complaint was that 3 of the 4 hard drive crashes I've had in the past 15 years came during that time (I may have just had bad luck...or maybe they were using leftovers). They have a much better network than Incero, plus they act much more professional in their dealings with clients (i.e. you're not dealing with a company that is dominated by one person with a fragile ego who lashes out at customers on the boards and comes off sounding like an overgrown summer host).

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited November 2013

DomainBop said: Limestone Networks in Dallas?

No, think closer to home.

Though yes I still find LSN good and professional, always there to have a chat. In fact my previous account manager even took time from his work break whilst playing guitar hero with the other staff to talk to me over the phone. That is customer service, not publishing client details and telling up front lies with a cute sales pitch after the money has been taken.

Where as Mr. Gordon here will block you on Skype for asking when IPv6 coming despite his exact words below (check dates please):
    [26/10/2012 22:11:41] StormVZ Sales: Do you provide ipv6?

[26/10/2012 22:11:52] Incero: we're about to roll it out next week

[26/10/2012 22:11:56] Incero: our network is ready

I doubt his network is ready, thats why you still depend on CoreX to announce your v6 range and ask for a ridiculous setup fee and I wonder how many months after that conversation and us leaving you even implanted that.

From what was posted before, their excuse for no V6 is either a) Just because AMS-IX V4 traffic is marginally more than AMS-IX V6 or b) We're working on integration it in our panel (soon)

a) I think you should look at what your client(s) want, not what the AMS-IX traffic is.

Just an example of a outright lie and it appears he's been telling a lot to people here lately.

Some people made remarks on IRC stating there servers have not been delivered despite being paid in full after several weeks with non-sense, and Gordon stating in a ticket they don't do null routes (when the client specifically said he was getting DDoS'ed). Appears not the host for anyone who may want good customer service and a actual meaningful relation with a provider.

• And I find it unacceptable that people respect arrangements in real life but expect free lunch online. That's what I find unacceptable and wrong.

This is not exclusive to web hosting, this is a major problem in the freelance business as well as in the virtual world in general. Why don't you ask for grace period at the supermarket? Listen lady, I can't pay right now but I promise to pay later so if you could just give me my three day grace period I'll be on my way out... DUMBASS!

Thanked by 1ryanarp
  • earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

I wouldn't say Incero is a bad company thought.. didn't they donate servers or at least give a substantial discount to the eduvps project?

https://www.facebook.com/Eduvps/posts/576500319074237

• @kontam That's just wrong. Renting servers online could be the same as your utility bills for example (when it comes to due dates), you're not expected to pay the bill the moment it gets in your mailbox but you have to pay it eventually. Buying from a supermarket could be the same as ordering stuff online (you pay for actual items).

• ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider

@Bogdacutuu said:
    kontam That's just wrong. Renting servers online could be the same as your utility bills for example (when it comes to due dates), you're not expected to pay the bill the moment it gets in your mailbox but you have to pay it eventually. Buying from a supermarket could be the same as ordering stuff online (you pay for actual items).

Your just expected to pay for your services before you use them. So yes I get my utility bill about 15 days before it is due, and your right I don't have to pay it 15 days early, but eventually I need to pay it before the due date or well my lights are turned off at the electric companies disposal.

Thanked by 1kontam
  • BogdacutuuBogdacutuu Member
    edited November 2013

@ryanarp Right, but renting a server is not even nearly the same as buying groceries from a supermarket. (and isn't what you said the same for renting servers?)

• @ryanarp Exactly that. He forgot his utility bill is valid 15 days BEFORE due date, not after.

@Bogdacutuu I was merely painting an example trying to show that people behave differently when it comes to online services and products as opposed to real life. If my example is incorrect, feel free to insert your own, it won't make any difference.

It's almost as if people have no respect for people selling virtual services and goods. You sit behind the computer all day, click a few buttons here and there, my 5 year old son can do that you know... your-work-is-not-worth-anything type of mentality. If they don't see you, talk to you, hand you over cash, receive a bill and know there's law behind every corner waiting to punish them if they brake it, they will behave like idiots.

• people behave differently when it comes to online services and products as opposed to real life.

Define "real life". For businesses that derive 100% of their revenues from the Internet, online sales are very much "real life". :)

• Lot to read, but am I understanding correctly that someone didn't pay their bill and somehow people are shilling Incero as being partially at fault for the result of this person/company's accounting incompetence?

• SpeedyKVMSpeedyKVM Banned, Member
    edited November 2013

How much soft shutdown time is needed for big vps nodes like the ones you guys on LET run? 1 minute? 3 minutes? 5 minutes? The amount of time that it actually needs to complete the process once soft command is sent? LMK, thanks!

• Everyone has a opinion not matter who is right or wrong. It just an opinion take it how you want. Its a lose lose situation that actually should have never been brought out in a public forums and should have been dealt with in a proffesional manner between the parties involved. Yet this has turned into a pissing match or who's slong is bigger type of thread.

• It's pretty clear who's right and who's wrong.

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited November 2013

Generation Whine is disappointing on so many levels.

Thanked by 1ryanarp
  • Closed per request.

Thanked by 2jimpop aglodek
  • Reopened - per thread starter's request.

• @Spirit said:
    Reopened - per thread starter's request.
    @mpkossen said:
    Closed per request.

Which one is it?

Thanked by 1DomainBop
  • mcmyhost said: Which one is it?

Both - In timeline order ;-)

If there's a request by thread starter for additional clarification we usually don't deny right to do this.

• Host4GeeksHost4Geeks Member, Host Rep

@Spirit said:

More drama.

• I could care less about all this petty bickering and name calling. Mindless chatter... but what I do care about is the fact that my databases have been offline for almost two days now. Why? Because someone didn't pay their bill and someone else took a course of action that was arguably not the best one.

What I as an end user and (up until now satisfied) client of FlipHost get out of this is the desire to end my business relationship with FlipHost (not that they'd care), steer people clear of them AND Incero for the rest of forever, and find myself another provider who makes better decisions.

If I ever get access to my database back long enough to pull down a backup I may be doing just that. (Yeah, I've got backups... they're just not as recent as I'd like)

Thanked by 1perennate
  • @GameBeatDotNet said:
    **Why? ** Because someone didn't pay their bill and someone else took a course of action that was arguably not the best one.

Nope, just the first part . . . Because someone didn't pay their bill.

Thanked by 1ryanarp
  • @GameBeatDotNet said:
    What I as an end user and (up until now satisfied) client of FlipHost get out of this is the desire to end my business relationship with FlipHost (not that they'd care), steer people clear of them AND Incero for the rest of forever, and find myself another provider who makes better decisions.

Totally apologize for this and definitely do care. If you're an existing customer. Feel free to raise a ticket for free credit due to any downtime / data loss or inconvenience. Address it to concerto49 personally and I'll be sure to get to everyone of it until you're satisfied.

A notice will also go out in regards to it.

I understand it is our fault and poor decisions. Announcements will also be made in regards to improvements in the future to prevent this from happening.

We value our customers and our customer relationships.

Policy is 1 thing, customers are another. Policy is used to protect us when there are major dramas, not to cause them.

I thank you again for the understanding and I assure you we've spent many sleepless and no stop hours working on this.

In fact the SQL database was corrupted. We could have rolled back a lost a day or 2 of data, but we've spent many hours restoring and fixing the corrupted database so clients could get their latest data.

• mpkossen said: Exactly! And what bothers me most is that Incero appears to have plainly powered the server down. Not a graceful shutdown, instead just pull the power cable out. I find that quite unacceptable, even though the customer has an overdue invoice. Even more so, it seems they have pulled all the servers, not just the one that wasn't being paid. I mean, come on? Does Incero even want to keep them as a customer or do they want to scare them away?

Sure, it's all in the ToS. But your ToS doesn't make you keep customers. Your service does.

If I made a wrong assumption in the above, please let me know.

Most big data centers (enterprise class data centers) are very reasonable and very flexible when it comes to working with customers. A server that makes money (even at a later time) is much much better than a server that sits and does nothing. Such data centers seem to grasp that really well. Their owners and/or representatives don't go on hosting forums to make accusations or debate why a customer hasn't paid on time. If money needs to be recovered then they employ the help of collection agencies or work out a shut down plan and a payment plan with the customer. In my experience if you are nice to people they will pay, and it's always better to get your money later rather than never.

@mpkossen I think that you were spot on.

My opinions are those of a third party observer.

Thanked by 1DomainBop
  • SpeedyKVMSpeedyKVM Banned, Member

Thanks for all the feedback, it's appreciated! Reviewing the first post here I see that no customer personal information was released (no client name, no address, no email, no reference to any other person). So no privacy concerns at all there.

Also we've updated our shutdown code to perform a soft shutdown wait for 4 minutes, then perform a hard shutdown.

Commits / 5f533b1
    Incero committed 21 seconds ago (raw commit)
    Perform soft shut down, wait for 4 minutes, then do hard shutdown.

This should be a bit easier on suspended machines.

Thanked by 1perennate
  • @Incero said:
    Also we've updated our shutdown code to perform a soft shutdown wait for 4 minutes, then perform a hard shutdown.

Just as an outside observer, I'd like to ask, why wait just for 4 minutes before forcing a hard shutdown?

I'm don't have any knowledge of how you are charged for power, so correct me if I'm wrong, but someone did say the facility you are based in charges on a per circuit basis. So letting it take 10 minutes or 10 hours shouldn't make any difference.

If pulling the server immediately is the concern, it would seem far more reasonable to disable the switch port and then initiate a graceful shutdown without any timeout. Both can be automated and aren't going to increase the work load beyond the initial creation of the script to automate it.

--Adam

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

adly said: Just as an outside observer, I'd like to ask, why wait just for 4 minutes before forcing a hard shutdown?

Most likely because soft shutdown doesn't always work. If a server freezes up or is overloaded the soft shutdown will not shut it down and requires the forced one.

Thanked by 1ryanarp
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Especially if it's openvz, you just can't make a one size fits all rule. Props to anyone for trying but it is what it is. It's just not always the same process twice.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2013

@Incero

In my experience 4 minutes should be enough, if everything works as it should, but at times some containers cannot be shutdown for minutes due to various reasons.
    I would say 15 minutes will not leave anyone hungry and makes sure the server had a fair chance to shutdown properly, if it didnt, it is likely it wouldnt even in 10 hours.

• @Fliphost @jarland Fair enough, thanks for explaining the reasoning behind it. I would still agree with @Maounique about extending it to say 15mins to be sure.

• I kept reading over this thread, however would anyone care to explain (please) how it all started?