Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Friday & Cyber Monday 2020! Calling all providers! - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Black Friday & Cyber Monday 2020! Calling all providers!

Comments

• hzrhzr Member

@Unbelievable said: I'm thinking huge consolidation of industry as customers start abandoning conventional hosting. When you can get a built/tested/secure WP VPS for 3.50 a month from Lightsail - why bother with panels and all the assorted crap

Why bother with real companies when you can pay 3.50 a year for shared hosting and click Autoinstall on an outdated, insecure version of WP

Thanked by 2lovelyserver jsg
  • I wish for good storage yearly deals.

Thanks

• Chance of finding good BF/CM deal you want to keep is low. Most of them either take deadpool road within one year, or is a crap not worth paying 5$/y for...

• @vip3r09 said:
    It’s worth considering businesses might not be able to offer deals this year due to huge financial economic situation COVID-19 has had on the entire world. So I wouldn’t expect to see a lot of deals posted this year.

Might be not true... Most of the hosting businesses have doubled their revenues following COVID19.

Thanked by 1CasualCanvas
  • 2020 bf, looking forward for something interesting. :D

• @a3Bren said:
    2020 bf, looking forward for something interesting. :D

Please define "interesting".

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited October 2020

I am curious who will host Black Friday on LET (cough @Nekki cough), and what will be the theme this year? We may need to search some gifs before all madness breaks loose.

• @default said:
    I am curious who will host Black Friday on LET (cough @Nekki cough), and what will be the theme this year? We may need to search some gifs before all madness breaks loose.

Preferably, not something creepy AF to the average middle aged person.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

I actually sent @Nekki a PM a few days ago checking in. Would be great if he decided to come around!

Thanked by 1zomby1
  • seenuseenu Member
    edited October 2020

@jbiloh said:
    What are people most interested in buying on Black Friday this year?

1. double credits promotion from existing providers like @impactvps @HostSlick
    2. ovz7 or kvm provider with good space to run gitlab-ci runners (150gb ssd or 500GB HDD)

or one dedi with 500GB SSD, 5+ ips to move all vpses into single dedi but i don't have guts to do it yet. :neutral: i highly doubt, that will add lot of server administration work to me even with simple proxmox setup.

over the years, i realized stability is more important than price and many BF providers put you on shitty servers and bans vpses even when you don't use them (virmach), so i am very picky or just try to spend time out side of LET.

• @seenu said:

over the years, i realized stability is more important than price and many BF providers put you on shitty servers and bans vpses even when you don't use them (virmach), so i am very picky or just try to spend time out side of LET.

Keep such opinions for yourself when wanting to derail a thread. Have some respect for other consumers and providers. This is not the thread to throw dirt on other providers in LET. Shame on you.

• @seenu said:
    or one dedi with 500GB SSD, 5+ ips to move all vpses into single dedi but i don't have guts to do it yet. :neutral: i highly doubt, that will add lot of server administration work to me even with simple proxmox setup.

you can obtain this at hetzner now with a 500gb ssd addon for around the 29-30 eur mark. honestly I only needed 2 extra IPs (reverse proxying via nginx/haproxy VM is the way to go; conserve IPv4)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Francisco said: I think this Black Friday is going to be an even bigger blood bath than last years. I think we'll see some larger providers fold/sell if they don't move enough during this BF.

If someone is depending on BF to keep them afloat...

I think there's a time and a place for crazy deals...excess stock (not really as much of a thing in the virtual world), launching a brand/publicity, new market, whatever.

Saying "I hope this is enough to keep the lights on" is a terrible idea because once you sell them, you have to service them. For some hosts, I think the time to work a single ticket pushes them into the red.

Well, I'm saying things you already know. I mean, look at you - those $15/year 128s are unsustainable as you well know :D

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@raindog308 said: If someone is depending on BF to keep them afloat...

Well that's the definition of black friday. It's the time of the year that retail companies make it or break it.

Hosting is the same. There's many companies that i've talked to that are in bad times, or they're looking to get out because they're tired of things.

@raindog308 said: Well, I'm saying things you already know. I mean, look at you - those $15/year 128s are unsustainable as you well know

Not at all, for us they were fully profitable. That was only the case because we owned our hardware and our IP addresses. We only had to pay rack space so we could keep things under control. Doing them on rented everything is when things get bad.

Francisco

• @default said: Keep such opinions for yourself when wanting to derail a thread. Have some respect for other consumers and providers. This is not the thread to throw dirt on other providers in LET. Shame on you.

:joy: :joy: :joy:

@vimalware said: you can obtain this at hetzner now with a 500gb ssd addon for around the 29-30 eur mark. honestly I only needed 2 extra IPs (reverse proxying via nginx/haproxy VM is the way to go; conserve IPv4)

unfortunately with the server side knowledge i have....i have to use more ips and i like to keep projects in seperate vps and i guess each vps should have an ipv4.

• MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

@Francisco said: Well that's the definition of black friday. It's the time of the year that retail companies make it or break it.

This is so true.

I know a few providers have come back stronger due on the last year's BF and CF sales who might otherwise have closed their business.

For an established business, it is an opportunity to make more sales. But for a weaker one, it is a matter of survival.

• @seenu said: double credits promotion from existing providers like @impactvps @HostSlick

Has this ever happened with them before ?

@rahulks said: Has this ever happened with them before ?

I think credit matches/etc should be banned on this site. You aren't selling anything, you're selling a promise that at some point the credit is worth something.

Francisco

• seenuseenu Member
    edited October 2020

@rahulks said:

@seenu said: double credits promotion from existing providers like @impactvps @HostSlick

Has this ever happened with them before ?

yes, 2 years back @impactvps ran double credits on BF.

• @Francisco said:

I think credit matches/etc should be banned on this site. You aren't selling anything, you're selling a promise that at some point the credit is worth something.

Francisco

It's an investment. You get a decent return for the risk. I'm sitting on a bunch of ImpactVPS credit because they started out strong where I thought I'd use them primarily and then they stagnated and didn't have my needed location for work needs.

For anyone who will use the double credits in 3 months, though, it's usually a good return with minimal risk.

• @Francisco said:

Francisco

I agree here. espeically after last years black friday problems when most companys went bust. its a good way to get people to pay for something they aren't getting then for a company to go bust with nothing to show for it. I guess it can happen either way but at least if you get to buy a product first you've got something to show for it?

@TimboJones said: It's an investment.

And that's something that should be promoted in here? It's one thing if it's a big brand offering it because they're pooled with VC bucks or whatever. Smaller brands doing it is them trying to build capital because their current stuff isn't selling enough.

Francisco

Thanked by 2lukesUbuntu wdmg
  • SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2020

@Francisco said:

@raindog308 said: If someone is depending on BF to keep them afloat...

Well that's the definition of black friday. It's the time of the year that retail companies make it or break it.

We'll see. I expect "online" to be almost identical to what i am seeing with the local it-companies here.

• Half of them are doing extremely bad (lack of predictable long term projects, high operational cost,......)
    • 1/4th in an acceptable sort of shape.
    • 1/4th of them is absolutely killing it in terms of new client acquisition and projects.

Hosting is the same. There's many companies that i've talked to that are in bad times, or they're looking to get out because they're tired of things.

Been seeing quite a few local companies fold, or at least scale down on purpose.
    Picked up some more clients from some of them.

Currently in discussion with a few more to see what parts of their business i can take over/integrate into my infrastructure so that the impact to their (still current) clients is minimal. (Their clients should get the short end of the stick, if the current provider decides to give up/scale back).

If any smaller companies/hosts here want to move on you can pm me, and i will see what i can do for your clients. (or if i can do something to help).

Not at all, for us they were fully profitable. That was only the case because we owned our hardware and our IP addresses. We only had to pay rack space so we could keep things under control. Doing them on rented everything is when things get bad.

Stressful times do show when it comes to bad business practices. Luckily you made the right call and chose initial investment+low recurring cost over low investment+high recurring.

I am happy for you. :)

@seenu said:
    1. double credits promotion from existing providers like ....

This is one of the business practices that i believe to be quite the risk to the provider. As its basically blanket discount on current and future products/services until the credit is used up.

I would be in favor of banning this.

@Francisco said:

I strongly agree.

@raindog308 said:
    I think there's a time and a place for crazy deals...excess stock (not really as much of a thing in the virtual world), launching a brand/publicity, new market, whatever.

Don't how other providers plan their promotions/offers/business.
    But i have a solid plan (and variants of that plan) for the next 2 years when it comes to my brand.

I already know what products i plan to offer, at what price range (min, median, max sales price/volume), Discounts/Adverts (even ordered those graphics designs for the next year already.),.....

Edit: Before someone point out that my webpage is quite ...."curious"/"minimalist". i heard your feedback. Already getting some new design ready. :)

• rahulksrahulks Member
    edited October 2020

@MatthewLeigh said: espeically after last years black friday problems when most companys went bust. its a good way to get people to pay for something they aren't getting then for a company to go bust with nothing to show for it. I guess it can happen either way but at least if you get to buy a product first you've got something to show for >it?

Yes.

With you.

But as @seenu clearly mentioned .

@seenu said: double credits promotion from existing providers

AKA a provider that has been in business for more than X number of years and not like some that surfaced a year ago which is just a plain dumb thing to do generally.

Hence, these can be called

@TimboJones said: an investment.

@rahulks said: AKA a provider that has been in business for more than X number of years and not like some that surfaced a year ago which is just a plain dumb thing to do generally.

There's a provider on here right now that has a long history of not handling any of his issues and sells a terrible service. They've been doing credit matches all year long and only stopped once we called him out for it.

He stopped doing it for all of a month or so, but now he's back at them because...tada, we can assume he's broke.

If the site wants to allow them, put a limit of just 1 promoted credit offer on here. Be it the owner posts it or someone posts it 'on their behalf'.

This crap shouldn't be condoned. If you can't run your brand without selling vapor, then change your operations.

Francisco

Thanked by 2lukesUbuntu wdmg
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited October 2020

Double credit is like a virtual Ponzi Scheme. You use money obtained from doubled credit, to fund services from previous orders, many created using previous doubled credit. Doing this on a low-end market is very risky, but it also generates lots of publicity, therefore it may actually increase sales of more expensive plans due to SEO and online presence.

edited October 2020

@default said:
    Double credit is like a virtual Ponzi Scheme. You use money obtained from doubled credit, to fund services from previous orders, many created using previous doubled credit. Doing this on a low-end market is very risky, but it also generates lots of publicity, therefore it may actually increase sales of more expensive plans due to SEO and online presence.

Its a freaking runescape/bitcoin doubling scam.

Francisco

Thanked by 1wdmg
  • @Francisco said:

@default said:

Francisco

I guess the same could be said about lifetime's too?

@seriesn said:

@Francisco said:

@default said:

Francisco

Absolutely.

There used to be a policy that you couldn't have a promotion for longer than you've been in business.

But, @jbiloh removed that since it would block basically every new provider they were promoting. The policy should absolutely be reinstated.

@jbiloh, do it. Do something positive for once.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@seriesn said:

@Francisco said:

@default said:

Francisco

Absolutely.

There used to be a policy that you couldn't have a promotion for longer than you've been in business.

But, @jbiloh removed that since it would block basically every new provider they were promoting. The policy should absolutely be reinstated.

@jbiloh, do it. Do something positive for once.

Francisco

+1 on this one. It needs to be done, and it's urgent.