Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

finalhosting.nl: chasing pavements - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

finalhosting.nl: chasing pavements

Comments

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@lowending said:
    In another test, but this time with the same 1 vCPU specs as @angelius, I am still getting >2x slower results for AES-encrypting.

CPU: SHA256-hashing 500 MB
        1.961 seconds
    CPU: bzip2-compressing 500 MB
        3.554 seconds
    CPU: AES-encrypting 500 MB
        2.015 seconds

1. Processor info is hidden, as opposed to before.
    2. Why are the AES-encryption results 2x worse?
    3. Why do the sequential write speeds look like they have to "spin up"? I thought NVMes' have no disk to spin?

Only one thing is certain, popcorns for everyone!

This isn't a smoking gun. Simply request CPU passthrough for your VM. He'll probably enable it and then you'll be able to see the processor info.

It looks to me like you are on an i9 node. CPU results are near identical aside from that aes test, but since the aes flag isn't being passed you're getting worse results. Disk results looks like nvme as well.

• tgltgl Member
    edited December 2019

@lowending i guess this will be your final month with them

once its finally over, and you finally move to another hoster the situation will finally become better

• tgl said:

once its finally over, and you finally move to another hoster the situation will finally become better

But will it be the final solution?

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • i hope you are finally satisfied

• @tgl said:
    i hope you are finally satisfied

Only when I'm finally released.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Sad, sad story and evolution of the matter.

@jordynegen11

I perceive @lowending as a reasonable and polite person and I don't understand your way of handling that matter as well as your attitude in this thread.

I'm one of your earliest customers afaik and I always liked your company but now I experience something I hate to experience, doubts, an urge to have a closer look at my VPS (is it still the same or has it been auto-migrated too?), etc.

The problem is not a technical one. The problem is you, your way of handling this matter, the clear impression that you don't play openly and that you don't act transparently, the inconsistencies.
    Frankly, I'm beginning to wonder whether finalhosting is healthy. I always had a good impression of you but right now I got the feeling that something is awfully wrong. Maybe one of you three people left, maybe you've got into some kind of trouble, maybe you failed to get your 3 racks filled with customers, I don't know but it feels as if your line now were "do not let anyone know what's going on or they'll leave in droves and we are done here".

I'd hate to see finalhosting go down and I urge you to be honest and transparent like we came to know you. And do not ignore this thread, do not hide!.
    I'm certainly not the only one here who is willing to help you but that requires you being present and honest with us.

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • @jordynegen11 I think its time to answer man, or its @Gam3over

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • lowendinglowending Member
    edited December 2019

Another VPS looks to be available... but WTF? i9-9900K is Coffee Lake:

root@finalhostingiii02:~# inxi -C
    CPU:       Quad core Intel Core (Skylake IBRS) (-MCP-) cache: 16384 KB
               clock speeds: max: 3599 MHz 1: 3599 MHz 2: 3599 MHz 3: 3599 MHz 4: 3599 MHz
    root@finalhostingiii02:~# (curl -s wget.racing/nench.sh | bash; curl -s wget.racing/nench.sh | bash) 2>&1 | tee nench.log
    -------------------------------------------------
     nench.sh v2019.07.20 -- https://git.io/nench.sh
     benchmark timestamp:    2019-12-06 19:21:18 UTC

Processor:    Intel Core Processor (Skylake, IBRS)
    CPU cores:    4
    Frequency:    3599.960 MHz
    RAM:          7.8G
    Swap:         8.0G
    Kernel:       Linux 4.15.0-66-generic x86_64

Disks:
    vda    300G  HDD

1.977 seconds
        3.410 seconds
        0.688 seconds

ioping: seek rate
        min/avg/max/mdev = 15.8 us / 33.2 us / 16.7 ms / 65.2 us
    ioping: sequential read speed
        generated 58.5 k requests in 5.00 s, 14.3 GiB, 11.7 k iops, 2.85 GiB/s

dd: sequential write speed
        1st run:    353.81 MiB/s
        2nd run:    1239.78 MiB/s
        3rd run:    1525.88 MiB/s
        average:    1039.82 MiB/s

IPv4 speedtests
        your IPv4:    xx.xx.xx.xxxx

Cachefly CDN:         39.57 MiB/s
        Leaseweb (NL):        7.43 MiB/s
        Softlayer DAL (US):   13.34 MiB/s
        Online.net (FR):      51.61 MiB/s
        OVH BHS (CA):         13.37 MiB/s

No IPv6 connectivity detected

• More :popcorn: required.

Thanked by 2bjo dahartigan
  • jordynegen11jordynegen11 Member
    edited December 2019

@lowending said:
    Another VPS looks to be available... but WTF? i9-9900K is Coffee Lake:

root@finalhostingiii02:~# inxi -C
    CPU:       Quad core Intel Core (Skylake IBRS) (-MCP-) cache: 16384 KB
               clock speeds: max: 3599 MHz 1: 3599 MHz 2: 3599 MHz 3: 3599 MHz 4: 3599 MHz
    root@finalhostingiii02:~# (curl -s wget.racing/nench.sh | bash; curl -s wget.racing/nench.sh | bash) 2>&1 | tee nench.log
     nench.sh v2019.07.20 -- https://git.io/nench.sh
     benchmark timestamp:    2019-12-06 19:21:18 UTC

Processor:    Intel Core Processor (Skylake, IBRS)
    CPU cores:    4
    Frequency:    3599.960 MHz
    RAM:          7.8G
    Swap:         8.0G
    Kernel:       Linux 4.15.0-66-generic x86_64

Disks:
    vda    300G  HDD

1.977 seconds
        3.410 seconds
        0.688 seconds

ioping: seek rate
        min/avg/max/mdev = 15.8 us / 33.2 us / 16.7 ms / 65.2 us
    ioping: sequential read speed
        generated 58.5 k requests in 5.00 s, 14.3 GiB, 11.7 k iops, 2.85 GiB/s

dd: sequential write speed
        1st run:    353.81 MiB/s
        2nd run:    1239.78 MiB/s
        3rd run:    1525.88 MiB/s
        average:    1039.82 MiB/s

IPv4 speedtests
        your IPv4:    xx.xx.xx.xxxx

Cachefly CDN:         39.57 MiB/s
        Leaseweb (NL):        7.43 MiB/s
        Softlayer DAL (US):   13.34 MiB/s
        Online.net (FR):      51.61 MiB/s
        OVH BHS (CA):         13.37 MiB/s

No IPv6 connectivity detected

Host-passthrough is now enabled on your server. Reboot it :)

@jsg
    We are not hiding. We made a statement on a previous page. That is what happend and I'm not going to lie just to entertain everyone here. It's not our job to discuss an issue with a customer on a public forum. We have a ticket system or livechat for that.

There has been made a mistake yes, but when a customer has a problem he can contact us an we will fix the issue. If solving the issue takes to much time we will compensate our customer for that.

This can be done in in 2 ways:
    1. We extend his server for a X amount of days. In this case we gave him a month for free.
    2. Within 5 days the customer can specify a claim for the damage that has occurred for the malfunctioning of his server. We are insured for this. (as listed in our terms).

This can not be done in this way:
    1. Put everything on a forum and ask for a 80% refund.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Woh hang on, Skylake CPU's? I thought i9-9900K was Coffee Lake? Confused much.

• tgltgl Member
    edited December 2019

@lowending how do you feel about his final message?

have you rebooted? is it finally an i9?

• Skylake, coffee lake... Its still a lake 😂

Thanked by 1uptime
  • tgltgl Member
    edited December 2019

in this case he did not lie, because the software is older, it does not know about Coffee Lake, so it assumed it was Sky Lake, I suspect he did lie about the automatic migration, but I am not sure and as I have no proof I dont want to put the blame on anyone, it could be the node failed and they moved, but the OP said he had them on different nodes, so maybe he lied about placing them on different nodes, anyway we will see, the next episode could be tomorrow

• @Jord said:
    Woh hang on, Skylake CPU's? I thought i9-9900K was Coffee Lake? Confused much.

Jordy seems a great guy, and everyone makes mistakes. Doing what he is doing now, is one of these mistakes. Maybe in a few days he will change his point of view. It looks like false advertising and that’s not a way to run a business. Do what you promised. Fuck ups are human, but don’t be shady about it.

When I look back to my shitposts on @AnthonySmith and @Clouvider and my DNS fuckup earlier this year, I am not very proud of it. After some time I came to realization I made a mistake and I am gladly willing to admit I was wrong acting to Anthony and Dom that way. I also was wrong for being lazy with the nameserver. I have a different view on things now.

I had a similar case as Jordy some years ago. I offered a product to a customer and within a few days, they were not satisfied. And neither was I. I managed a dedicated server for a customer, but the provider I chose had a poor network connection. They actually linked SSD’s over network and that caused a lot of downtime.

After 3 nights of constant texts and no sleep, I decided to apologize to the customer and offered him a full refund. Pretty sure the customer still won’t do business with me again because of the experience with the server, but at least I tried to handle it correctly.

Losing money is not fun. But losing potential customers will really hurt your business. I hope @jordynegen11 will come around.

This can be done two ways:

• Say sorry and give a full refund (but I think he already damaged his image)
    • Move the customer to the correct specs that the customer ordered and make sure the server performs correctly.

Once again, I fully understand admitting you were wrong is a difficult thing to do. It took me almost half a year to do so.

• https://github.com/smxi/inxi/blob/master/inxi#L8077

ixni Version 3.0.37-1 from 17 days ago still has 'Coffee Lake' commented out.

elsif ( $model =~ /^(4E)$/ ) {$arch = 'Skylake'} # had 9E, cascade lake also 55
    # need to find stepping for cl, guessing stepping 4 is last for sl
    #elsif ( $model =~ /^(9E)$/ ) {$arch = 'Coffee Lake'}

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • Did we find the pavement yet?

• @PHDan said:
    https://github.com/smxi/inxi/blob/master/inxi#L8077

ixni Version 3.0.37-1 from 17 days ago still has 'Coffee Lake' commented out.

elsif ( $model =~ /^(4E)$/ ) {$arch = 'Skylake'} # had 9E, cascade lake also 55
    # need to find stepping for cl, guessing stepping 4 is last for sl
    #elsif ( $model =~ /^(9E)$/ ) {$arch = 'Coffee Lake'}

Thanks for checking, as well as @tgl

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • lowendinglowending Member
    edited December 2019

It is no longer the weekend, for which I refused to spend any quality time responding to you @jordynegen11 . So let me take the time to dissect your response, one by one.

All my VPSes which were supposed to be on i9-9900Ks were downgraded and your website no longer displays them on your product page. With 2 working days without a response, the issue seemed less like a technical problem (with the information at the time)- and more like a fraudulent act.

There has been made a mistake yes, but when a customer has a problem he can contact us an we will fix the issue. If solving the issue takes to much time we will compensate our customer for that.

My VPSes were on more than one of your i9 nodes while you have stated that the technical prbolem happened only happened on one of them. Obvious discrepancies aside, you still have not fixed the issue. It has been 5 days since you said (and you may refer to the screenshots for any doubt) "We are migrating your server as we speak" on Thursday, 5th December 2019. It is Monday, 12 December 2019 (Tuesday now in my time) and I still have one more VPS that is not available to me. Your recovery rate is an average of <1 VPS a day. Honestly a refund sounds way easier, but okay.

This can be done in in 2 ways:
    1. We extend his server for a X amount of days. In this case we gave him a month for free.
    2. Within 5 days the customer can specify a claim for the damage that has occurred for the malfunctioning of his server. We are insured for this. (as listed in our terms).

We've gone over the 1st point so I won't remind you. After this, I'm skeptical that you will honor point 2. at all. With multiple downtimes over the last few months from hardware failures (as you've said), your insurer must be royally pissed!

We are not hiding. We made a statement on a previous page. That is what happend and I'm not going to lie just to entertain everyone here. It's not our job to discuss an issue with a customer on a public forum. We have a ticket system or livechat for that.

You absolutely are hiding. You have not answered a single question from member, customer, provider (as a peer in your industry) and moderator (in their personal capacity).
    The funny thing is almost unanimously everyone here think that while the activities raised are suspect, everyone had a generally good opinion of you and that you would be able to assuage the situation. Instead, you being evasive and virtually avoiding all questions after a week gives us the answers we already need without you. I will not know what kind of damage this will have on your business and reputation, but remember that this was your own doing. I tried to be respectful, and left many windows open for "a clean and amicable exit". That wasn't about a refund, one month extra isn't going to pinch me at all. That was about your opportunity to regain your good standing in the public eye over this issue, and you have wasted that chance.

This can not be done in this way:
    1. Put everything on a forum and ask for a 80% refund.

I love this. Complete denial of the facts presented, refusal to answer any substantive questions and insinuating that I put everything on a forum to pressure you just for an 80% refund of one month when I've been with you since August. I could totally get rich with refunds! /s. Thanks for saying that I put "everything on the forum" though, there's no denial then that I was being transparent with the situation.

What's interesting here to me at least, is that it really is the worst timeline. I considered that in an ideal situtation:-

1. I would find out what happened to my VPSes; and
    2. If satisfied, continue with the service at finalhosting.nl; or
    3. Let it run till dry and quietly leave the service.

Instead what I got was:

1. I would not find out what realllyy happened, and got more questions instead; and
    2. Left completely unsatisifed, and just want to end the service with a shady company; and instead
    3. Shady company would rather prolong the PR disaster than cut the umbilical cord.

You read and hear stories about companies doing counter-productive, self-harming things to themselves. This is one for the LET books.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

We don't take this lightly and we don't like doing this. But we are removing Finalhosting providers tag for now. Until this problem is resolved. There are way too many unanswered questions and these need to be answered.

We can't dictate what you do as a business, but we do want companies to look after their customers fairly. So, therefore, we feel it is the right time to remove the provider's tag for now.

You will be able to apply again once the above has all been taken care off and a short time has passed without any further incidents.

Any issues please do PM me or submit a support ticket https://support.lowend.party/

• Just refund the customer, bloody hell. @Jord number 3?

• refiund is final opention

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @Gam3over

Snarking aside, I just think this is an unfortunate incident. If @jordynegen11 is willing to come clean and give full facts with apologies the way @HostDoc did, he might still salvage something. Otherwise, he might be better off closing shop because these things live on the interwebs for a long, long time.

Thanked by 3dahartigan tgl coreflux
  • its @Gam3over for jordy too!

edited December 2019

@Jord @lowending What can I say? I have already apologized for our mistake. and posted a statement here. (2 times)

FACT 1: Our system detected a malfunctioning on NODE I9-1
    FACT 2: The detection was false because of a software error
    FACT 3: All the VPS servers of our customer where on node I9-1 that day. (ID 30).
    FACT 5: The VPS servers of our customer where migrated automatically to the best possible nodew with enough space. In this case this was not a node with a I9 CPU.
    FACT 6: We could not just migrate the servers back to I9-1 because this node was still detecting a malfunctioning.
    FACT 7: The BLADE and I9 nodes are in diffrent datacenters
    FACT 8: We had to transfer over 1,3TB of data and 2 times a migration failed.
    FACT 9: We moved the servers to node I9-3 that has an I9 CPU.
    FACT 10: 4 of the servers are back on a I9 node. 1 is still migrating and is expected to be online again today.

This is the full story based on facts.

I already made a statement 2 times. Read the tickets and you find all the answers this forum needs.

We tryed to resolve it directly with the customer and not on this forum and refused to give him a 80% refund. Instead he accepted a 1 month free extension of his service.

And then I haven't even talked about our terms and conditions that the customer has accepted.

For some reason this all will remove your provider tag. But OK, It was a problem with our software and therefore our fault so we will deal with it.

• tgltgl Member
    edited December 2019

@jordynegen11

FACT 3: All the VPS servers of our customer where on node I9-1 that day. (ID 30).

In spite of the above, I was still rather tolerant of FinalHosting. The most I've done was request to shift all my VPSes into different nodes on their network so if one node goes down all my VPSes don't go along with it.

but I told this before, it seems you're not reading the thread, just acting right

in this case he did not lie, because the software is older, it does not know about Coffee Lake, so it assumed it was Sky Lake, I suspect he did lie about the automatic migration, but I am not sure and as I have no proof I dont want to put the blame on anyone, it could be the node failed and they moved, but the OP said he had them on different nodes, so maybe he lied about placing them on different nodes, anyway we will see, the next episode could be tomorrow

@lowending if you agree with @jordynegen11 solution (1 month), i guess you should tell @Jord the incident is resolved

if not, its @Gam3over

edited December 2019

@tgl said:
    @jordynegen11

In spite of the above, I was still rather tolerant of FinalHosting. The most I've done was request to shift all my VPSes into different nodes on their network so if one node goes down all my VPSes don't go along with it.

but I told this before, it seems you're not reading the thread, just acting right

I can confirm that his servers where on the same node that day and not on different ones. The IP addresses that he had only worked on node I9-1. (Or BLADE03 after the migration)

if his servers were on a different node, they would not have an internet connection because of the GRE routing setup.

Yes we have spread his servers in the past but told him specificly that we can't guarantee the node location since we are load balancing to be able to offer the lowest load on our servers.

• @debaser said:

@Falzo said:
    long story short: the i9 offer wasn't sustainable and the nodes have been canceled and everything moved to the blade things.

I noticed that the i9 'Premium VPS' offer is offline as well. So this is probably true. Why you wouldn't inform your customers about this is beyond me.

We have indeed stopped offering the premium servers. But not stopped offering I9 servers. Since we have received so much game hosting orders we did not have enough stock for our premium servers.

Because of that we decided not to accept new premium server orders anymore to have enough stock available for our game servers.

• it probably would have been easier to use the chance and get rid of the (PR) problem when you had the chance and the client offered an easy way out with the partial refund.

all the time spent to migrate stuff back and forth for 60 bucks not to mention the amount of people around here that lost trust in your venture.

see, I guess whatever you say or try to clarify will only make things worse as it's kind of contradicting your statements over and over again, like:

you spread his VMs to multiple nodes, then silently moved them back, then they migrated silently to a blade server because of the same failure on that node though your clients claims a 15 day difference on that. not a single notice or statement towards the customer with that. only after he starts complaining you then need to move him to a different server in a different datacenter because you suddenly don't have any room in the old place? okay.

that's just a big mess. as said I'd rather spent 60 or 80 bucks for less headache.