Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To providers: free giveaway of registration codes for the biggest server/hosting community in China - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

To providers: free giveaway of registration codes for the biggest server/hosting community in China

Comments

• hzrhzr Member
    edited December 2019

Hi please keep politics out of here, please click here to discuss Xinjiang and Uyghur: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/149354

USE CEST PIT FOR POLITICAL DISCUSSION

• @dahartigan said:
    If anyone has some friendly advice for an Australian who speaks only English, on how I could best integrate into that community, I'd be very much appreciative.. I'm surprised I made it through the signup process lol

HostDoc is a recognized brand among VPS lovers/users on the mainland of China. You'll find that in HostLoc. It is not that popular when you compare it to Bandwagon Host or Virmach.

Still there are a few brands, Pacific Rack, WishHosting, CloudCone etc that gain fame or reputation, or maybe notoriety during specific events/promotions. Word of mouth sometimes, or on most cases, plays a huge role. A large amount of people chasing VPSes are not like their western peers who bought machine for work for learning, or as a PC geek, on the contrary, they lack necessary tech/skills to help them judge over good deals from bad ones. They then rely on opinion leaders and community users to provide info before dropping orders. This may be one of the reasons some brands suddenly become overwhelmingly hot and attract eyes/attentions/trust and then almost in a sudden fall into ashes. Sounds like a quick fashion show maybe. China gov's GFW also plays a role.

Going back to your nationality, it would be easy to hire someone as your company's representative, or otherwise it's hard to dig deep and expand into this business in China.

• @aRNoLD said:

@dahartigan said:
    If anyone has some friendly advice for an Australian who speaks only English, on how I could best integrate into that community, I'd be very much appreciative.. I'm surprised I made it through the signup process lol

HostDoc is a recognized brand among VPS lovers/users on the mainland of China. You'll find that in HostLoc. It is not that popular when you compare it to Bandwagon Host or Virmach.

Still there are a few brands, Pacific Rack, WishHosting, CloudCone etc that gain fame or reputation, or maybe notoriety during specific events/promotions. Word of mouth sometimes, or on most cases, plays a huge role. A large amount of people chasing VPSes are not like their western peers who bought machine for work for learning, or as a PC geek, on the contrary, they lack necessary tech/skills to help them judge over good deals from bad ones. They then rely on opinion leaders and community users to provide info before dropping orders. This may be one of the reasons some brands suddenly become overwhelmingly hot and attract eyes/attentions/trust and then almost in a sudden fall into ashes. Sounds like a quick fashion show maybe. China gov's GFW also plays a role.

Going back to your nationality, it would be easy to hire someone as your company's representative, or otherwise it's hard to dig deep and expand into this business in China.

Thanks for your response, I appreciate that :-) I'm happy to hear that @HostDoc is a recognized brand within the Chinese community, we definitely appreciate our Chinese customers as well.

It seems like there are some opportunities to help some of our Chinese friends learn some technical stuff also, which I personally would find rewarding with a language barrier. I have found in the past a lot of Chinese have liked my style of tutorials in English, so perhaps I could hone those skills into something translatable to contribute to that community.

I don't see that my nationality would be an issue, we have a lot of Chinese here in Australia so I suppose we're your brothers and sisters too :-)

Thanks again for your advice, perhaps this helps others too :-)

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2019

aRNoLD said: A large amount of people chasing VPSes are not like their western peers who bought machine for work for learning, or as a PC geek, on the contrary, they lack necessary tech/skills to help them judge over good deals from bad ones.

I'm not sure there is a difference, just look at all the people (in west) who fell for AlphaSpamRacks hosting and got screwed over. Although I suppose that, since most reviews of US-based company would be in English, it's harder for people who do not speak English as first language to gauge the quality of such providers.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @perennate said:

aRNoLD said: A large amount of people chasing VPSes are not like their western peers who bought machine for work for learning, or as a PC geek, on the contrary, they lack necessary tech/skills to help them judge over good deals from bad ones.

I'm not sure there is a difference, just look at all the people (in west) who fell for AlphaSpamRacks hosting and got screwed over. Although I suppose that, since most reviews of US-based company would be in English, it's harder for people who do not speak English as first language to gauge the quality of such providers.

That's probably a more truer statement. LET has its share of newbies also, which is why I, amongst others, do our best to highlight the good hosts and flush out the junk.

Everyone knows lunanode is amazing, and if they don't, it doesn't take much for that to be known. And because it's actually true, others will verify that. LET is pretty good at self regulation these days.

Can't recall the last time someone got scammed by a LET host..

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited December 2019

@dahartigan said:

I do, and it certainly happened more than once throughout my stay here. Trust me, there have been some very shitty hosts here before (although they were quite rare). GoodHosting, HiFormance, AlphaRacks, maybe Woothosting are some fairly memorable ones.

Edit: Oops, let's not forget PSK!

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • w_ho_amiw_ho_ami Member
    edited December 2019

@perennate said:

seriesn said: Only problem would be the massive language barrier and the shitty job that Google translation does.

也有文化的障礙,你一說台灣是獨立國家,他們會開始DDoS你的网络。你說『光復香港』的話,我也不知道他們會怎麼反應。這些人以為中華民國是中華人民共和國的一個部分。

Damn, why would you say this? Is this related to the topic of this thread? This forum is for hosting providers and customers. Please just do your business. No one is interested in your naive political opinion. Yes, freedom of speech is a basic human right, but it comes with responsibility. If you really want to express your opinion, you should be prepared for the consequence.
    你为什么要这里挑起这个话题?这个论坛是为了网站托管商和用户交流的。做好你自己的事,没人在乎你幼稚的政治观点。确实,言论自由是一项基本人权,但权利和义务都是相伴的。既然你想要表达你的观点,你就应该做好准备来承担相应的后果。

• @FlamesRunner said:

@dahartigan said:

I do, and it certainly happened more than once throughout my stay here. Trust me, there have been some very shitty hosts here before (although they were quite rare). GoodHosting, HiFormance, AlphaRacks, maybe Woothosting are some fairly memorable ones.

Since alphawootracks died, it's a lot calmer here. For one we don't have those posts on LET anymore (if you ignore lebfeed) I haven't forgotten those, but in recent times, past 6 months or so has been okay.

PSK/other alpha related hosts are not whitelisted here. Check out @poisson 's list for a good idea.

The scamming on LET is extremely rare now. I have my scam detector running 24/7 and nothing has set it off since those days. LEB is a different story obviously.

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited December 2019

@w_ho_ami said:
    Damn, why would you say this? Is this related to the topic of this thread? This forum is for hosting providers and customers. Please just do your business. No one is interested in your naive political opinion. Yes, freedom of speech is a basic human right, but it comes with responsibility. If you really want to express your opinion, you should be prepared for the consequence.

Aren't you expressing your opinion right now? You're suggesting that his is naive and would come with consequences, worded almost like a threat. Why, by your logic, should anyone be interested in your ideas?

• @perennate said:

dedipromo said: I think many providers here such as Virmach and BuyVM already have Alipay set up, so yeah that's definitely a good thing to dig into; I'll try to find some info and update here.

They have English website (https://intl.alipay.com/open/index.htm) and there is WHMCS module (https://marketplace.whmcs.com/product/4537), I suspect it is straightforward. Settlement in e.g. USD is supported. 可是阿里巴巴就是中國共產黨,如果外國公使用支付寶,那這錢就會被用來資助新疆種族滅絕。

Edit: is WeChat Pay more popular than Alipay now? Or are they used for different purposes (like PayPal vs Venmo, even though former owns the latter)?

What you said exactly shows how naive you are... Alibaba is CPC? wtf... I don't even want to waste my time on replying to this, just want to show how hilarious this is to the rest of the forum members.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep
    edited December 2019

@dahartigan said:

@FlamesRunner said:

@dahartigan said:

Since alphawootracks died, it's a lot calmer here. For one we don't have those posts on LET anymore (if you ignore lebfeed) I haven't forgotten those, but in recent times, past 6 months or so has been okay.

PSK/other alpha related hosts are not whitelisted here. Check out @poisson 's list for a good idea.

The scamming on LET is extremely rare now. I have my scam detector running 24/7 and nothing has set it off since those days. LEB is a different story obviously.

I'm a highly tuned bullshit detector, I'm good at sniffing it out on LET 😂

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @Jord said:

@dahartigan said:

@FlamesRunner said:

@dahartigan said:

Excellent example, for the record, since you've been a mod, how many LET hosts have scammed people here? Genuinely curious :-)

@FAT32 is also very strong on plow in this regard too IMO :-)

Thanked by 2FAT32 Jord

@dahartigan said:

@Jord said:

@dahartigan said:

@FlamesRunner said:

@dahartigan said:

Excellent example, for the record, since you've been a mod, how many LET hosts have scammed people here? Genuinely curious :-)

I've only been a mod for a short time, but it's been 1 so far, that I've had to remove a provider tag.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • Everyone talking politics should probably take it somewhere else, I doubt it's a helpful line of conversation. Doesn't matter what your political views are, everyone still eats, shits and wants to buy servers :-)

Thanked by 1dedipromo
  • @Jord said:

@dahartigan said:

@Jord said:

@dahartigan said:

@FlamesRunner said:

@dahartigan said:

I've only been a mod for a short time, but it's been 1 so far, that I've had to remove a provider tag.

I missed some premium drama, how the fuck did I miss this? Haha.. any clues who that was? Pm if you prefer lol

• What is happening in Xinjiang? Any large colo facilities for people?

Thanked by 2poisson Shot2

@dahartigan said:

@Jord said:

@dahartigan said:

@Jord said:

@dahartigan said:

@FlamesRunner said:

@dahartigan said:

I missed some premium drama, how the fuck did I miss this? Haha.. any clues who that was? Pm if you prefer lol

Maybe your scam meter needs to go back to the maintenance team 😂

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @Jord said:

@dahartigan said:

@Jord said:

@dahartigan said:

@Jord said:

@dahartigan said:

@FlamesRunner said:

@dahartigan said:

Maybe your scam meter needs to go back to the maintenance team 😂

HAHA yeah no shit, it's been a little fucky lately apparently.. needs some calibration again, time to visit LEB.. lol

Thanked by 1Jord
  • In some hosting, they did not provide credit card with union pay. So many Chinese can not buy their service,because they don't use master card or visa card.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • Interestingly, I am seeing an uptick of traffic to The Whitelist from China. If participation on LET is difficult because of language barrier, then referring to my whitelist is a simple way for PRC customers to avoid being scammed. I update the whitelist regularly based on community feedback so the list doesn't favor any provider.

All I can promise is that you have a 99 percent chance of not being scammed if you choose a whitelisted provider, but like I wrote on the page, YMMV (your mileage may vary) depending on how you communicate with the provider. Most providers are genuinely nice people as long as you are also genuinely reasonable in return.

• poissonpoisson Member
    edited December 2019

@vimalware said:
    What is happening in Xinjiang? Any large colo facilities for people?

Hilarious. This is how you explain concentration camps to geeks.

• How about infamous chinese paypal chargebacks? Is that community is immune to this?

• YusumYusum Member
    edited December 2019

@LTniger said:
    How about infamous chinese paypal chargebacks? Is that community is immune to this?

I don't know why you say infamous. All Chinese people can use credit cards and PayPal just like you.

• @poisson said:
    Interestingly, I am seeing an uptick of traffic to The Whitelist from China. If participation on LET is difficult because of language barrier, then referring to my whitelist is a simple way for PRC customers to avoid being scammed. I update the whitelist regularly based on community feedback so the list doesn't favor any provider.

All I can promise is that you have a 99 percent chance of not being scammed if you choose a whitelisted provider, but like I wrote on the page, YMMV (your mileage may vary) depending on how you communicate with the provider. Most providers are genuinely nice people as long as you are also genuinely reasonable in return.

You should consider dual English/Mandarin on that site perhaps? Would certainly help a lot of Chinese also :-)

• poissonpoisson Member
    edited December 2019

@dahartigan said:

@poisson said:
    Interestingly, I am seeing an uptick of traffic to The Whitelist from China. If participation on LET is difficult because of language barrier, then referring to my whitelist is a simple way for PRC customers to avoid being scammed. I update the whitelist regularly based on community feedback so the list doesn't favor any provider.

You should consider dual English/Mandarin on that site perhaps? Would certainly help a lot of Chinese also :-)

I probably won't want to write everything in Mandarin, although I might do so for some pages. Although I am ethically Chinese, Mandarin is a much harder language for me than English. The reason is because I am Singaporean and due to our multicultural societal makeup, we use English most of the time, so I write a lot faster in English than in Mandarin.

TL;DR Bilingualism is really hard.

On the other hand, the code switching I often end up doing when coaching my PRC classmates in English communication at the postgraduate level means that I probably won't suffer from dementia because the brain neurons are firing at light speeds trying to turn native English into native Mandarin and vice-versa.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @poisson said:

@dahartigan said:

@poisson said:

I probably won't want to write everything in Mandarin, although I might do so for some pages. Although I am ethically Chinese, Mandarin is a much harder language for me than English. The reason is because I am Singaporean and due to our multicultural societal makeup, we use English most of the time, so I write a lot faster in English than in Mandarin.

TL;DR Bilingualism is really hard.

On the other hand, the code switching I often end up doing when coaching my PRC classmates in English communication at the postgraduate level means that I probably won't suffer from dementia because the brain neurons are firing at light speeds trying to turn native English into native Mandarin and vice-versa.

That makes perfect sense to me actually. I have spoken to a lot of Singaporeans over the phone at my previous job, and the "Singlish" is difficult to understand at first, but it quickly becomes easy to work it out. The same with "Chinglish", where a Chinese-born who learns English will have a different way of communicating.

Over the years I've developed a way to adapt my vocabulary to match that of the person I'm speaking with (lah!) which I've found incredibly successful when dealing with EAASL (English as a Second Language).

How people can learn more than 1 language is fascinating to me, I've found the best approach to me is to develop an "international english" if that makes any kind of sense.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

I'd love to be there too, selling/auctioning some domains but it seems like my Google Translate plugin for FF is not even able to translate that forum :joy:

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2019

@hzr said:
    Virtually no one changes the domain, and most forums' builtins do not allow changing the domain.

For good reason.

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from www.recaptcha.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). Learn more
    NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID

Hmmm.

• @LTniger said:
    How about infamous chinese paypal chargebacks? Is that community is immune to this?

Most people on Hostloc agree that unreasonable PayPal chargeback is rude. However, people still dispute at the back for their own benefits.

Thanked by 1Levi
  • @poisson said:

@crack said:
    Many Chinese cannot buy foreign VPS.
    Because fraud is so important, it is not possible to verify IP addresses or real information.

I am sorry but providers outside China are governed by their local laws and most will require real information.

Many providers use reCaptcha, which has been blocked in China, that’s why people use VPN to buy.