Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VirMach plans for OpenVZ6 [only for CHIOVZ1 and SEAOVZ1 - feedback gathering ] - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VirMach plans for OpenVZ6 [only for CHIOVZ1 and SEAOVZ1 - feedback gathering ]

Comments

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited October 2019

@angstrom said:
    @VirMach

Just curious, why did you decide not to upgrade to OVZ7? (Just saw this as an opportunity to phase out OVZ altogether?)

He said earlier today, "We've pretty much internally confirmed that all OpenVZ6 plans will be converted to KVM. Out of the migrations we did, no single person asked for OVZ7."

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @TimboJones said:

@angstrom said:
    @VirMach

Just curious, why did you decide not to upgrade to OVZ7? (Just saw this as an opportunity to phase out OVZ altogether?)

He said earlier today, "We've pretty much internally confirmed that all OpenVZ6 plans will be converted to KVM. Out of the migrations we did, no single person asked for OVZ7."

Okay, I see, in principle, people had the choice between OVZ7 and KVM, and they chose KVM.

• @angstrom said:

Okay, I see, in principle, people had the choice between OVZ7 and KVM, and they chose KVM.

Not sure why anyone would want OVZ7 over KVM all other things being equal.

• @donli said:

@angstrom said:

OVZ7 does use less system resources than KVM. Not by a big margin tho

• @donli said:

@angstrom said:

Sure, I understand, and it was nice of @VirMach to give people a choice.

But let me put it this way: why did @VirMach not simply upgrade from OVZ6 to OVZ7 without giving people a choice? I would have thought that this would have been the default strategy, also the less costly and less time-consuming strategy.

• donlidonli Member
    edited October 2019

@angstrom said:

But let me put it this way: why did @VirMach not simply upgrade from OVZ6 to OVZ7 without giving people a choice? I would have thought that this would have been the default strategy, also the less costly and less time-consuming strategy.

I suspect they'd like to get away from the OpenVZ end of offerings.

• @donli said:

@angstrom said:

I suspect they'd like to get away from the OpenVZ end of offerings.

Yeah, I suspect this as well (hence my question several posts above)

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Personally, I don't think many providers out there would even consider giving their customers an option to choose whether they'd want to go for OVZ7 or KVM. In most cases it would just be an FYI, OVZ6 -> OVZ7.

But in this case, @VirMach had given them a chance to choose, which is nice of them :) Though it would be a no-brainer for most people that'll obviously choose KVM over OVZ :)

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Excellent move, @VirMach. Good luck!

• Got that mail as well, but it felt so bad to take up this generous offer for my dead cheap OVZ, that I didn't try to remove the open cancellation request. :P
    Even though this little beast proved as one of my most reliable boxes so far with more 400 days of uptime already!

• EdmondEdmond Member
    edited October 2019

@sanvit said:

@donli said:

@angstrom said:

OVZ7 does use less system resources than KVM. Not by a big margin tho

I go with anything really, I only have the tiny 128MB OVZ that'll be migrated and all I really care is that my Python scripts for Reddit keeps working and I'm happy.

@Virmach Thanks for the explanation, looking forward to the additional resources but I really feel guilty that you'll most likely be losing money on me (if not already, it's billed at $3/yr) to keep my service running...

By any chance will we expect any KVM Lite services available during the Black Friday rotations this year? Was planning on picking up a deal to run a Minecraft server this BF if possible!

• @cybertech said:
    should have bought an ovz plan!

If I knew this was happening, I would have gotten a OVZ plan as well last year. I don't care for the KVM really, I just want the rock bottom BF rates!

• carcosacarcosa Member
    edited October 2019

@VirMach
    I got this email for a smaller 128 vps i have in Buffalo,NY but i dont see NY listed on the network status page as being scheduled?
    Node: NYOVZ9L

• @carcosa said:
    @VirMach
    I got this email for a smaller 128 vps i have in Buffalo,NY but i dont see NY listed on the network status page as being scheduled?

Like many other node, they don't have date now, but I am sure you will not be forgotten. They probably don't want to plan date too much in advance as if something happens, it will probably cause more questions.

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

@angstrom said:

@donli said:

@angstrom said:

Sure, I understand, and it was nice of @VirMach to give people a choice.

In our internal discussions with investors we accidentally swapped the labels for "profit" and "hours of work required." They almost went with the converting every individual VPS to a dedicated server option, but they were wondering why we wanted to work negative 10 million hours.

@ben47955 said:

@carcosa said:
    @VirMach

Like many other node, they don't have date now, but I am sure you will not be forgotten. They probably don't want to plan date too much in advance as if something happens, it will probably cause more questions.

We've added more dates now that we're more sure on some factors for them. Unfortunately, it might still be changed.

• OVZ6 to KVM might seem like a bad move for oversellers, but it is a good move for hosts that want to keep their reputation. And ofcourse a great move for users.

OVZ allows overselling on disk space, RAM, and CPU. While KVM allows overselling on CPU and partial overselling of RAM. Thats why most people prefer KVM servers over OpenVZ on shared servers.

In OVZ, even if you dont use the disk space, the host can sell it to others. However for KVM, the disk space is "allocated" to you. This is the reason for @VirMach reducing your disk space to what you are actually using. Since they'll still increase it when you need it, there should not be any issues.

• @somik said:
    OVZ6 to KVM might seem like a bad move for oversellers, but it is a good move for hosts that want to keep their reputation. And ofcourse a great move for users.

OVZ allows overselling on disk space, RAM, and CPU. While KVM allows overselling on CPU and partial overselling of RAM. Thats why most people prefer KVM servers over OpenVZ on shared servers.

In OVZ, even if you dont use the disk space, the host can sell it to others. However for KVM, the disk space is "allocated" to you. This is the reason for @VirMach reducing your disk space to what you are actually using. Since they'll still increase it when you need it, there should not be any issues.

There's always LVM thin provisioning for KVM

Thanked by 1somik
  • @TheOnlyDK said:

@somik said:
    OVZ6 to KVM might seem like a bad move for oversellers, but it is a good move for hosts that want to keep their reputation. And ofcourse a great move for users.

Ya... Didn't consider that... Good catch.

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited October 2019

@somik said:

@TheOnlyDK said:

There's also ZFS datasets/Zvol for containers/KVMs. (caveat : provider needs to closely watch pool utilization to keep it under 85%; live migration is a must-have for these setups.)

• @vimalware said:

@somik said:

@TheOnlyDK said:

There's also ZFS datasets/Zvol for containers/KVMs. (caveat : provider needs to closely watch pool utilization to keep it under 85%; live migration is a must-have for these setups.)

I'm not familiar with ZFS or ZVol...

As for pool utilization, lvm thin provisioning also has similar requirements I think.

• Weird that virmach are losting money and my node is idling all the time so I am losting too.
    This lose-lose situation make me happy.

Thanked by 3NanoG6 uptime Edmond
  • ofitofit Member
    edited October 2019

@VirMach All (KVM and OVZ) DE VPS will be migrate to new DE DC or only OVZ? If yes, OVZ will be transferred first, and then then KVM?

• @VirMach How ressource upgrade will work ? Do they are applied in the convert process ? From how MB of RAM can we expect upgrade to how many ? Thanks.

• @ben47955 said:
    @VirMach How ressource upgrade will work ? Do they are applied in the convert process ? From how MB of RAM can we expect upgrade to how many ? Thanks.

I think it's whatever they want as a goodwill gesture. My migration was yesterday, they bumped the bandwidth form 1gbps to 10gbps and the memory from 128MB to 384MB, which is a 10x upgrade on bandwidth and 3x upgrade on memory, not to mention that the disk space can be expanded as desired.

YMMV and take anything extra as a bonus and that your not entitled to any of it so don't depend on anything I just posted, I'm just sharing my experience. Thanks Virmach for doing this!

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

@ofit said:
    @VirMach All (KVM and OVZ) DE VPS will be migrate to new DE DC or only OVZ? If yes, OVZ will be transferred first, and then then KVM?

If that's done, OpenVZ will be transferred first and then KVM. We haven't fully decided yet, but we're heavily leaning in one direction right now due to various problems but there are some things that need to be worked out first on the other end as well.

I don't want to give out too much information here because I feel like this could be a sensitive subject that should be addressed thoroughly and we don't have enough information to share. We were planning on talking about it first in the HB community, so maybe check around there for an update with all the information. Anyway, again, we're waiting on some pieces of information here and there so we're crystal clear on that.

ben47955 said: @VirMach How ressource upgrade will work ? Do they are applied in the convert process ? From how MB of RAM can we expect upgrade to how many ? Thanks.

Edmond said: My migration was yesterday, they bumped the bandwidth form 1gbps to 10gbps

Upgrade to 10Gbps will happen if you were on 2Gbps initially and 10Gbps was available. Please note, we do still reserve the right to throttle you back down if for some reason you cause problems bursting to 10Gbps a lot (we doubt this will happen.) I'm just saying that to cover ourselves, just in case, so there's an understanding, not that it needed to be said.

Edmond said: the memory from 128MB to 384MB

Memory will go to 256-384MB in most cases. We were going to go with 256MB for most people, but we found out 384MB may be beneficial in some specific scenarios. Most people might end up with 384MB minimum but please don't contact us if you only get 256MB.

Edmond said: not to mention that the disk space can be expanded as desired.

For disk, we are adding an extra 2GB to some packages for the "max" number. This is to cover the extra space utilized on KVM. If your package has "enough" disk where we find it not to be necessary or affect you negatively, you may not get this extra cap.

Edmond said: Thanks Virmach for doing this!

Enjoy.

Thanked by 2uptime Edmond
  • One of my ovz was "upgraded" some days ago, no ip change but "no route to host", I have back up and I tried to rebuild it twice but after it was rebuilt still "no route to host", then I gave up, I'm busy these days and I'll take a look later but in my case this change was a problem.

• @ScienceOnline said:
    One of my ovz was "upgraded" some days ago, no ip change but "no route to host", I have back up and I tried to rebuild it twice but after it was rebuilt still "no route to host", then I gave up, I'm busy these days and I'll take a look later but in my case this change was a problem.

Well, if you can ping your gateway, the problem is likely your settings in the server. If you can't ping your gateway, then ticket Virmach, they can only fix that.

• The migration for me was so smooth that I barely noticed! Flawless execution. Great work VirMach.

I do have one question for fellow Debian users though: how do you upgrade the Linux kernel after the move? It seems that the linux-image package was not installed and apt upgrade do not automatically upgrade the kernel.

Thanked by 1VirMach
  • @VirMach said:

@ofit said:

If that's done, OpenVZ will be transferred first and then KVM. We haven't fully decided yet, but we're heavily leaning in one direction right now due to various problems but there are some things that need to be worked out first on the other end as well.

I don't want to give out too much information here because I feel like this could be a sensitive subject that should be addressed thoroughly and we don't have enough information to share. We were planning on talking about it first in the HB community, so maybe check around there for an update with all the information. Anyway, again, we're waiting on some pieces of information here and there so we're crystal clear on that.

ben47955 said: @VirMach How ressource upgrade will work ? Do they are applied in the convert process ? From how MB of RAM can we expect upgrade to how many ? Thanks.

Edmond said: My migration was yesterday, they bumped the bandwidth form 1gbps to 10gbps

Upgrade to 10Gbps will happen if you were on 2Gbps initially and 10Gbps was available. Please note, we do still reserve the right to throttle you back down if for some reason you cause problems bursting to 10Gbps a lot (we doubt this will happen.) I'm just saying that to cover ourselves, just in case, so there's an understanding, not that it needed to be said.

Edmond said: the memory from 128MB to 384MB

Memory will go to 256-384MB in most cases. We were going to go with 256MB for most people, but we found out 384MB may be beneficial in some specific scenarios. Most people might end up with 384MB minimum but please don't contact us if you only get 256MB.

Edmond said: not to mention that the disk space can be expanded as desired.

For disk, we are adding an extra 2GB to some packages for the "max" number. This is to cover the extra space utilized on KVM. If your package has "enough" disk where we find it not to be necessary or affect you negatively, you may not get this extra cap.

Edmond said: Thanks Virmach for doing this!

Enjoy.

Well to make sure, I never expected or believe I’m entitled to any additional resources, they are a gift from Virmach that I’ll appreciate and cherish for as long as that VPS still runs for me. Being a Virmach customer is already a privilege and I really appreciate that Virmach is looking out for their customers.

I understand that everything is fair use and hopefully no one takes it for granted. I’m just trying to share my experience from my much welcomed migration/upgrade.

As said before, ymmv on what any free additional resources you may get. You should expect no additional resources and be happy with anything extra that you get.

• After LAOVZ3 failed to complete to migrate at 8th, it still don't have schedule for completion.