Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VirMach plans for OpenVZ6 [only for CHIOVZ1 and SEAOVZ1 - feedback gathering ] - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VirMach plans for OpenVZ6 [only for CHIOVZ1 and SEAOVZ1 - feedback gathering ]

Comments

• @VirMach great news

Finally .... My wireguard VPN cluster will be completed around all Virmach locations

Also implement docker (kubernetes) and snap and alot more ....

Thanked by 1VirMach
  • Great! Good news! Just received the Migration Email.
    Be glad to be upgraded!

Thanked by 1VirMach
  • brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

Please note, we will not be assigning any IPv6 addresses.

Will it still be possible to request IPv6 subnets again in locations that, well, kind of support IPv6?

• What is the estimated migration time for CHIOVZ5?

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

@China_Jun said:
    What is the estimated migration time for CHIOVZ5?

We'll be adding more of the soft schedules in the next few days. It will be on the network status page.

@brueggus said:

Please note, we will not be assigning any IPv6 addresses.

Will it still be possible to request IPv6 subnets again in locations that, well, kind of support IPv6?

Unfortunately not in the near future.

• I thought virmach would upgrade to OpenVZ7, didn't expect KVM coming, even better.

• I have sent a cancellation request for one of BF2017 OVZ $8/year plan and now I am thinking whether to cancel that cancellation request or not.

• @alilet said:
    I have sent a cancellation request for one of BF2017 OVZ $8/year plan and now I am thinking whether to cancel that cancellation request or not.

Maybe transfer it to me..? :P

• @VirMach I got email. That mean that on BF19 will be extremely low stock for EU offers?

For Phoenix and Frankfurt locations, we have a limited amount of space. You may be moved to Amsterdam instead of Frankfurt, and Los Angeles instead of Phoenix. If this occurs, you will receive a free migration in the future back to the original location, if requested. After initially checking the network issue page for your service's migration date, please check the network issue page again on the day of migration for further updates.

• (edit) Oh and the second main thing we are changing is that MOST people will keep the same IP address for their service as well.

This is what important :smile:

• @alilet said:
    I have sent a cancellation request for one of BF2017 OVZ $8/year plan and now I am thinking whether to cancel that cancellation request or not.

I feel stupid for doing that to my 2017 $14/y Pro+ OVZ, but it looks like you can't un-cancel if there are less than 30 days to expiry. I see "Upgrade" button in place of the "Remove Cancellation".

Anyway good luck to everybody that decided to keep their OVZs.

• williewillie Member
    edited October 2019

VirMach said: all OpenVZ6 plans will be converted to KVM.

Thanks, this is fantastic of you, kudos. Regarding the disk space, I'm currently using under 10%, all on system stuff, but I do occasionally park user files there temporarily. Are you saying in this situation you'd set it to 30% by default? That would be great. I'd be pretty happy with 20%, but 10% would be a bit squeezed.

• @sanvit said:

@alilet said:

Maybe transfer it to me..? :P

I opened a thread about transfer some months ago but got no response.
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/156738/virmach-bf-2017-vps-for-sale

Looks like it cannot be renewed now because it shows "Upgrade" and not "Cancel" button like it was showing before.
    I am not sure if I can still transfer it to someone or not.

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • wow..that's great news. my $0.95/yr OVZ will be KVM, though the bandwidth is very low :(

• Nice, it is good news for me, I am also received the email about migration from OVZ to KVM... hope have a little small free upgrade also..

edited October 2019

@ofit said:
    @VirMach I got email. That mean that on BF19 will be extremely low stock for EU offers?

For Phoenix and Frankfurt locations, we have a limited amount of space. You may be moved to Amsterdam instead of Frankfurt, and Los Angeles instead of Phoenix. If this occurs, you will receive a free migration in the future back to the original location, if requested. After initially checking the network issue page for your service's migration date, please check the network issue page again on the day of migration for further updates.

We could either have almost none, or a lot, depending on how various factors play out.

@willie said:

VirMach said: all OpenVZ6 plans will be converted to KVM.

Thanks, this is fantastic of you, kudos. Regarding the disk space, I'm currently using under 10%, all on system stuff, but I do occasionally park user files there temporarily. Are you saying in this situation you'd set it to 30% by default? That would be great. I'd be pretty happy with 20%, but 10% would be a bit squeezed.

If you're using 10% then you would probably get at least 15% maybe more depending on the size, and you could always click a button to add more as required. So you could easily get to your 20-30% that you are comfortable with in this situation.

(edit) I want to provide a more specific example. If someone has 10GB disk space, and they're using 2GB, they'll end up getting around 5GB and can expand another 5GB to 10GB. If someone has 100GB disk space, and they're using 10GB, they'll end up getting around 15GB and can expand another 5GB to 20GB, and so on, until 100GB.

• guyz92guyz92 Member
    edited October 2019

@VirMach said:
    If you're using 10% then you would probably get at least 15% maybe more depending on the size, and you could always click a button to add more as required. So you could easily get to your 20-30% that you are comfortable with in this situation.

I received the email on migration from OpenVZ6 to KVM Lite.

Does that button automatically resize the underlying MBR record and also resize2fs to resize the file system?

Just a personal opinion that if adding disk space using a button without automatically resize the MBR and resize2fs may not be that great for less technical incline person.

Normally for less technical incline person, they may need to boot a Live CD that contain GParted and resize it.

If GParted Live CD is not available, using fdisk and resize2fs may involve some risk.

Also, another question about swap, since most of the OpenVZ6 plan does not include swap, are KVM Lite users allowed to create swap partition after the migration?

Lastly, for the vCPU, is CPU host-passthrough mode applicable to KVM Lite user?

• What are the KVM Lite specs ?

• @Fran said:
    What are the KVM Lite specs ?

Similar as your current OVZ6 VM

• And how much it will be?

• Paid all my OVZ bills! =)

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@guyz92 said:
    Does that button automatically resize the underlying MBR record and also resize2fs to resize the file system?

Just a personal opinion that if adding disk space using a button without automatically resize the MBR and resize2fs may not be that great for less technical incline person.

Normally for less technical incline person, they may need to boot a Live CD that contain GParted and resize it.

Resizing partitions may cause data loss. Thus, always increase to maximum disk size then reinstall the server.

• Backup, my dude.

• jlayjlay Member
    edited October 2019

Growing is usually a safe operation nowadays, tools have improved a lot for reliability. That's not to say they won't let you shoot yourself in the foot, though.

For example, with certain versions of LVM it's really easy to accidentally shrink the filesystem instead of grow, by simply missing a + after the option - setting the size of the logical volume to that of the desired expansion, not the final size, running the risk of shrinking it by mistake.

Shrinking is where you really need to worry. If anyone is nervous about it, DM me and I can walk you through it.

Thanked by 2uptime vimalware
  • @VirMach

One obvious question

Does this mean no cheap OpenVZ listing on BF?

edited October 2019

guyz92 said: Also, another question about swap, since most of the OpenVZ6 plan does not include swap, are KVM Lite users allowed to create swap partition after the migration?

This isn't disallowed specifically, but it could result in problems with the I/O usage part of our AUP. However, as long as it's kept within the allowed limits, there's no problem.

guyz92 said: Does that button automatically resize the underlying MBR record and also resize2fs to resize the file system?

yoursunny said: Resizing partitions may cause data loss. Thus, always increase to maximum disk size then reinstall the server.

jlay said: Growing is usually a safe operation nowadays, tools have improved a lot for reliability. That's not to say they won't let you shoot yourself in the foot, though.

AFAIK all our underlying templates on KVM are Generation 2, which means automatic resizing. I personally haven't come across any case where a customer upgraded their package to one with higher disk space and had data loss, and this would work the same way.

@noaman said:
    @VirMach

One obvious question

Does this mean no cheap OpenVZ listing on BF?

Correct. We might consider having some KVM Lite specials instead, at similar pricepoints.

Thanked by 2MichaelCee uptime
  • While I could only welcome moving my vps from ovz to kvm, a question comes to my mind: Will you (VirMach) be able to sustain such a move? You sold a lot of cheap vps (myself having a few of them, from 512mb/$5y to 4gb/$20y). I can not imagine how this could cover your costs after moving from openvz6 to kvm...

Thanked by 2MichaelCee uptime
  • TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited October 2019

I would hope you allocate more than 20-30% disk space. I have an 7GB openvz with another provider and recently fail2ban logs have been GB's in size (I think they changed a kernel module to not be included so there's 10x errors in logs). So going from 4GB to 7GB happened in like 1-2 weeks, trips all my monitors for exceeding 90% disk space, etc. A few times, server crashed due to running out of space until I go and manually delete log file.

I'm waiting for them to upgrade to ovz7 and should just fix the firewall and kernel module, but if you have a lot of small servers, 20-30% allocation is still piddly and you should be allocating at least 50% more than in use. Otherwise, you're signing up for a bunch of hassles for you and customers.

I would allocate 100% for people up to 10GB and then do less as disk is larger and percents mean larger GB's.

@TimboJones said:
    I would hope you allocate more than 20-30% disk space. I have an 7GB openvz with another provider and recently fail2ban logs have been GB's in size (I think they changed a kernel module to not be included so there's 10x errors in logs). So going from 4GB to 7GB happened in like 1-2 weeks, trips all my monitors for exceeding 90% disk space, etc. A few times, server crashed due to running out of space until I go and manually delete log file.

I'm waiting for them to upgrade to ovz7 and should just fix the firewall and kernel module

In that case, you can increase the size of your package to the level where you are comfortable, but it sounds like you would still face that problem no matter how much the allocation if you're completely running out.

Fixing the underlying problem would make the most sense.

but if you have a lot of small servers, 20-30% allocation is still piddly and you should be allocating at least 50% more than in use. Otherwise, you're signing up for a bunch of hassles for you and customers.

We are allocating around 50% more than in use, in the sense that if you are using 20% -- you get 50% more which ends up being 30% or so.

I would allocate 100% for people up to 10GB and then do less as disk is larger and percents mean larger GB's.

We'll consider increasing the base amount regardless of actual usage. However, in these edge cases customers can always elect to use the honor system if required and expand their disk. It will not be a complicated process.

@Jarry said:
    While I could only welcome moving my vps from ovz to kvm, a question comes to my mind: Will you (VirMach) be able to sustain such a move? You sold a lot of cheap vps (myself having a few of them, from 512mb/$5y to 4gb/$20y). I can not imagine how this could cover your costs after moving from openvz6 to kvm...

To be fully transparent, we are ordering 4x more disk space on the newer replacement servers to cover the maximum amount required to switch to dedicated disk allocations. This does cost a lot more. We are also taking some temporary losses during the transition period (as we are not continuing to fill old OpenVZ nodes even as space opens up, we are incurring new setup costs, and a period where we're paying to host two sets of servers.)

In that sense, these packages will not be profitable.

However, OpenVZ6 services make up a small percentage of our overall sales, and with the honor system for disk allocations, we may have a chance to use some of the new space for new KVM services. These newer services will help subsidize the cost of the older OpenVZ6 sale-priced packages.

Sometimes it's worth it to improve services regardless of costs, and this is one of those cases.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited October 2019

@VirMach

Just curious, why did you decide not to upgrade to OVZ7? (Just saw this as an opportunity to phase out OVZ altogether?)