Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle Cloud Free Tier - Page 30
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oracle Cloud Free Tier

Comments

• @alaraq said:
    After chat with support, they tell me this:
    Resume: After 2 month, free account is empty garbage not usable, if you DONT PAY..... any experience?.
    Asterisk/dotted answer is support.

• in free tier account , one month of trial plus one month of grace
      03:32 am
      Skill says

• total 2 momths
      Skill says

• after that it generally gets purged if not upgraded
      I say
      after 2 month cant use anything?
      I say
      my account is dead?
      03:33 am
      I say
      hi?
      03:35 am
      Skill says

• yes
      03:37 am
      Skill says

• you cant use anything after two months
      03:37 am

I have 2 arm servers that were completely deleted and without warning.
    I will not use oracle again, just for testing.

• I converted all of my accounts to K8 worker nodes. Makes it easier not to worry about it too much (local storage, but don't need to manage it with anything other than K8).

Then maybe about a week ago I noticed my trial expired for a new account I had. I saw two nodes unhealthy and went to investigate. I can enter tenancy info, but as soon as I go to login, I get a "Forbidden" page which is super strange. Replicated it on LTE and external wifi thinking maybe I got rate limited/blacklisted.

Has anyone else encountered this "Forbidden" page before?

• @daxterfellowes said:
    I converted all of my accounts to K8 worker nodes. Makes it easier not to worry about it too much (local storage, but don't need to manage it with anything other than K8).

Then maybe about a week ago I noticed my trial expired for a new account I had. I saw two nodes unhealthy and went to investigate. I can enter tenancy info, but as soon as I go to login, I get a "Forbidden" page which is super strange. Replicated it on LTE and external wifi thinking maybe I got rate limited/blacklisted.

Has anyone else encountered this "Forbidden" page before?

there is a 'cloud account' and an 'orcale account' which I think are not the same. maybe start from the very beginning at oracle.com and search for the correct login page. also might want to verify/reset your password, who knows.

their whole UX on the account and session handling is quite... terrible.

• their whole UX on the account and session handling is quite... terrible.

their [..] handling is quite ... terrible.

• Was finally able to build arm packes on Ubuntu with thee services but for some strange reasons I was not able to do it on a 2core + 12 Gb of ram. On x86 it works fine with 2 gb + 1 core …

• How do you open ports they seem to be blocked

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@daxterfellowes said:
    Then maybe about a week ago I noticed my trial expired for a new account I had.

Each person is entitled to only one trial account.
    If you have more than one account, Oracle support may delete the excess accounts, causing all kinds of trouble.

I have only one account and it's been working well for more than year.

@codelock said:
    How do you open ports they seem to be blocked

👉 How to Host a Website in Oracle Cloud Free Tier

The article only describes IPv4.
    Oracle Cloud has IPv6 now.
    You need to separately add inbound and outbound firewall rules for IPv6 with similar steps.

• I've added the recommended and even all ICMP rules in the default security list and yet IPv6 pings don't get through. ICMP allowed in firewall in OS. Can't figure out wtf I'm missing.

Also, chrome and edge browsers (both supported) don't work but Brave (unsupported) does. Go figure.

• edited September 2021

@yoursunny said:

@daxterfellowes said:

If you have more than one account, Oracle support may delete the excess accounts, causing all kinds of trouble.

They haven't spotted my other ones, so interesting that this one got flagged.

there is a 'cloud account' and an 'orcale account' which I think are not the same. maybe start from the very beginning at oracle.com and search for the correct login page. also might want to verify/reset your password, who knows.

Definitely not a wrong login screen - I login to multiples fine, just not apparently that one...

• @daxterfellowes said:

@yoursunny said:

@daxterfellowes said:

Definitely not a wrong login screen - I login to multiples fine, just not apparently that one...

being creepy is better than greedy.

• @daxterfellowes said:

@yoursunny said:

@daxterfellowes said:

They maybe doing more close inspections only on regions that are out of stock or close to that

• davidavi Member
    edited September 2021

@heringer said:

@xaoc said:

@heringer said:
    What Control Panel you managed to use with Oracle Arm?

I've only managed to get aaPanel working, but the TTFB is horrendous (2000 ms to 8000ms) with LEMP + WordPress.

As I'm quite noob, I think that another panel that isn't shady would be great.

None so far, been searching/testing quite a bit. Even voted on teh plesk uservoice thingy for ARM support. xD

I have vote for ARM support at Runcloud!

Hestiacp works fine on ARM and tested on Ampere A1 Compute instances

sudo su
    cd
    git clone https://github.com/hestiacp/hestiacp.git
    cd hestiacp/
    git checkout release
    cd src/
    ./hst_autocompile.sh --all --noinstall --keepbuild '~localsrc'

cd ../install/
    bash hst-install-debian.sh --with-debs /tmp/hestiacp-src/deb/ .....

Thanked by 2surihost mehargags
  • Hestiacp works fine on ARM and tested on Ampere A1 Compute instances

sudo su
    cd
    cd hestiacp/
    git checkout release
    cd src/

cd ../install/

Use bash hst-install-ubuntu.sh instead as default Ampere has Ubuntu image instead Debian image.

Also note that no updates are currently provided via ATP. I haven't figured out how we can build ARM packages on a x86 machine...

• davidavi Member
    edited September 2021

@eris said:

Hestiacp works fine on ARM and tested on Ampere A1 Compute instances

sudo su
    cd
    cd hestiacp/
    git checkout release
    cd src/

cd ../install/

Use bash hst-install-ubuntu.sh instead as default Ampere has Ubuntu image instead Debian image.

Also note that no updates are currently provided via ATP. I haven't figured out how we can build ARM packages on a x86 machine...

Thanks for your valuable comments. But I have used https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bohanyang/debi/master/debi.sh to install Debian first.

Manual update of hestiacp can be done by using

sudo su
    v-update-sys-hestia-git hestiacp release

• sudo su
    v-update-sys-hestia-git hestiacp release

This will only update hestia package. And not hestia-php and hestia-nginx package.

v-update-sys-hestia-git hestiacp release install all

Should work fine but my experience with ARM is that it usually needs more memory then x86 when building and you run into issues with less ram.

Thanked by 1davi
  • keyhelp also work well with arm after your change the OS to debian 10 (using script).

Thanked by 1v3ng
  • bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

ampere instance works nicely for a wireguard tunnel. ignore the upload, that's my internet

• I am currently running 6 VPS (2 + 4 ARM) on free tier with no issues at all for 5 months

• @kheng86 said: I am currently running 6 VPS (2 + 4 ARM) on free tier with no issues at all for 5 months

You get 200 GB storage. Minimum boot volume is 47 GB. How did you manage to run 6 instances? Multi account?

• @Hakim said:

@kheng86 said: I am currently running 6 VPS (2 + 4 ARM) on free tier with no issues at all for 5 months

You get 200 GB storage. Minimum boot volume is 47 GB. How did you manage to run 6 instances? Multi account?

Probs the deployment bug i mentioned earlier. You'll see charges for the extra storage but since no payment method is specified you won't actually get charged. Best to avoid tho as it might just lead to account termination. Someone told me that one of their boot volumes was being "charged" for like a year because it did not register correctly as always free. Their account is still active but they didn't actually go over the 200gb limit. Told them to edit the volume and change the storage to 49gb and then back to 50gb, that seems to have fixed it as the volume was registering as always free afterwards.

Thanked by 2Hakim yoursunny
  • I'm not sure how I did it either (did it on July), but I have over 300GB in storage. My A1 has 47GB boot volume and a 100GB block volume attached.
    The other two x86 instances have each a 47GB boot volume and a 50GB block volume attached.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2021

Dig around in the billing section, maybe you are getting "charged":
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3237002/#Comment_3237002

As said above, you won't actually get charged, but that's still could be possibly risking your account. I prefer to just run 2x dual-core ARM, less management overhead as well.

Thanked by 1xaoc
  • Haven’t signed up before for Oracle Cloud, is there any space left for free tier? Perhaps in a US-West location?

Don’t need those fancy Asia locations everyone seems to fighting for…

• @Edmond said:
    Haven’t signed up before for Oracle Cloud, is there any space left for free tier? Perhaps in a US-West location?

Never had a capacity related issue here in Indian location. Locations with good connectivity to China are mostly suffer from host capacity issue.

Thanked by 1Edmond
  • @Edmond said:
    Haven’t signed up before for Oracle Cloud, is there any space left for free tier? Perhaps in a US-West location?

Whatever you do don't choose San Jose. Either out of capacity for ARM instances for awhile or I'm just not hitting it at the right time.

Thanked by 1Edmond
  • @xaoc said:
    Told them to edit the volume and change the storage to 49gb and then back to 50gb, that seems to have fixed it as the volume was registering as always free afterwards.

How do you downsize a volume ? It seems I can only expand it...

• @yoshi_312 said:

@xaoc said:
    Told them to edit the volume and change the storage to 49gb and then back to 50gb, that seems to have fixed it as the volume was registering as always free afterwards.

I might have remembered the numbers wrong, must have been something like 53 instead of 50. It should be possible to downsize it 'till 50GB, I don't think that it goes under 50.

• @CyberneticTitan said:

@Edmond said:

Whatever you do don't choose San Jose. Either out of capacity for ARM instances for awhile or I'm just not hitting it at the right time.

In Toronto, I couldn't select the fault domain and auto select always put me on fault-1. The availability probably changes minute to minute...

• @xaoc said:

@yoshi_312 said:

@xaoc said:

I might have remembered the numbers wrong, must have been something like 53 instead of 50. It should be possible to downsize it 'till 50GB, I don't think that it goes under 50.

It seems to me you can't go below your current size. I have a 100GB boot volume and I can't select a value below 100.

• @yoshi_312 said:

@xaoc said:

@yoshi_312 said:

@xaoc said:

It seems to me you can't go below your current size. I have a 100GB boot volume and I can't select a value below 100.

Yeh seems to no longer work, I tried to downsize now with the machine powered off and also tried with the volume detached from the machine. Either my memory is really awful or something changed on their end.
    There is a possibility that the dude had 2 boot volumes @47GB and they increased the one that was getting charged to 53 or something like that. xD