Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

London & Chicago offers - NVMe and Storage - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

London & Chicago offers - NVMe and Storage

Comments

• @vimalware said:
    I got the 3TB base model after realizing how many storage plans I could 'retire' in the next 8 months.

heh, I planned on doing the same thing after purchasing one 3TB plan... then I couldn't help myself and bought a second 3TB plan :lol:

• @bdl said:
    and bought a second 3TB plan :lol:

The idea nags at me. I just wasn't sure I was allowed to buy multiple specials. 😬

• @bdl said:

@vimalware said:
    I got the 3TB base model after realizing how many storage plans I could 'retire' in the next 8 months.

heh, I planned on doing the same thing after purchasing one 3TB plan... then I couldn't help myself and bought a second 3TB plan :lol:

I want to know how much CPU is included in the 3TB plan. I see that the number of CPUs is 1, and some are 2

If the number is 2, I can't wait to get it.

• bdlbdl Member
    edited September 2019

@Emm said:
    I want to know how much CPU is included in the 3TB plan. I see that the number of CPUs is 1, and some are 2

One CPU for both Chicago and London - see below for output of lscpu (identical at both locations):

You can pay a little extra to 'upsize your meal' if you want more CPU

Architecture:        x86_64
    CPU op-mode(s):      32-bit, 64-bit
    Byte Order:          Little Endian
    CPU(s):              1
    On-line CPU(s) list: 0
    Thread(s) per core:  1
    Core(s) per socket:  1
    Socket(s):           1
    NUMA node(s):        1
    Vendor ID:           GenuineIntel
    CPU family:          6
    Model:               62
    Model name:          Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2690 v2 @ 3.00GHz
    Stepping:            4
    CPU MHz:             2999.998
    BogoMIPS:            5999.99
    Hypervisor vendor:   KVM
    Virtualization type: full
    L1d cache:           32K
    L1i cache:           32K
    L2 cache:            4096K
    L3 cache:            16384K
    NUMA node0 CPU(s):   0
    Flags:               fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon rep_good nopl xtopology cpuid tsc_known_freq pni pclmulqdq ssse3 cx16 pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand hypervisor lahf_lm pti ssbd ibrs ibpb stibp fsgsbase tsc_adjust smep erms xsaveopt arat md_clear

• @vimalware said:
    The idea nags at me. I just wasn't sure I was allowed to buy multiple specials. 😬

Thanked by 2uptime ITLabs
  • @ bdl said:
    You can pay a little extra to 'upsize your meal' if you want more CPU

which also allows you to then pay monthly. The deal with 2 cores is $14.50 per month (yielding 6 TB of storage to go along with the 2 cores.)

• Just missed in the last minute, cause my office wifi wont let me accessing paypal :(

• What's the policy regarding Windows?

• jbuggiejbuggie Member
    edited September 2019

It's been almost a week since I reported the extremely slow disk problem on one of their new NVMe node. The issue hasn't been resolved so the VPS is just sitting idle because it can't even complete a simple nench.sh test. rDNS still not working but IPV6 is. They offered to move this VPS temporary to a storage node a couple days ago but never did.

I got a second NVMe VPS that just got provisioned last night. Same problem with extremely slow disk access. The installation of Ubuntu usually take 10-15 minues took 4+ hours. Either they put this new NVMe VPS on the same defective node or they're having systemic problem with the whole NVMe setup in Chicago.

We are talking about minimal disk I/O at idle (4-5 iops/sec at 25-30% iowait time). iowait would get to 80-90% for anything more than 20-30 iops. Forget about running a nench.sh test. It just hang forever.

It's my first time with Hosthatch. I kept hearing how reliable/supported they are but I'm starting to wonder. My other storage VPSes with them are doing great, BTW.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited September 2019

@jbuggie said:
    I kept hearing how reliable/supported they are

...? Not sure exactly what you heard but ... they're not known for having the fastest support for these deep-discount deals. They will eventually get any serious problems resolved but it may take longer than you're prepared to wait. Given that they've got a small team busy rolling out who knows how many new nodes for this deal, it may take another few weeks for the dust to settle. Hopefully they'll figure out the serious problem you're dealing with before then, but I'd be pleasantly surprised if it happens this week.
    I've had them follow up on a ticket several weeks after I had given up and forgotten all about it. (And the problem was resolved.)

I can understand that it sucks if you've been holding higher expectations and are caught off guard to discover this just now.

My experience with them (based on services in four locations over the last couple years) is that their stuff works well. And generally their support is very responsive. But it can take a while to get things running smoothly with new rollouts. For me it's worth it and I just try not to put myself in a situation where I feel the need to stress about any delays.

• @uptime said:

I've had them follow up on a ticket several weeks after I had given up and forgotten all about it. (And the problem was resolved.)

I can understand that it sucks if you've been holding higher expectations and are caught off guard to discover this just now.

My experience with them (based on services in four locations over the last couple years) is that their stuff works well. And generally their support is very responsive. But it can take a while to get things running smoothly with new rollouts. For me it's worth it and I just try not to put myself in a situation where I feel the need to stress about any delays.

They are a bit slow...that's my experience as well. I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt thinking they must be flooded with orders.

After comitting a good chunk of change for a year, I got a little nervous. I normally don't commit that far ahead but these guys seem to have a good reputation.

They finally moved my NVMe VPS to a storage node temporary and delete the newly provisioned NVMe VPS until they got it figured out. Apparently, one of their tech puts in on the same defective node. I hope things would settle down as you said but it's been a rough start.

• jbuggie said: it's been a rough start

yar, I'm guessing it will probably be a bumpy ride for a few weeks still.

I'm waiting to get setup with a big NVMe in Chicago so hopefully will be comparing notes with you on a new node there soon enough.

I just try to keep in mind that careful human attention is the one thing that's well-nigh impossible to scale past a certain point, but it does seem to me that they do take care to (eventually) circle back around to get everything up to a decent standard. So that's the deal that comes with the high spec / low price offers - definitely not for everyone ... but I keep coming back for more. No ragrats! :smile:

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • Currently waiting on a reply to a ticket I submitted nearly 24 hours ago for a sales request, hopefully I haven't missed out on this deal because of the slower ticket reply :(

• @tester4 said:
    Currently waiting on a reply to a ticket I submitted nearly 24 hours ago for a sales request, hopefully I haven't missed out on this deal because of the slower ticket reply :(

You're most likely fine as there's a timestamp attached to when the ticket was created, but there's probably a big backlog of orders.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • hosthatchhosthatch Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@jbuggie said:
    It's been almost a week since I reported the extremely slow disk problem on one of their new NVMe node. The issue hasn't been resolved so the VPS is just sitting idle because it can't even complete a simple nench.sh test. rDNS still not working but IPV6 is. They offered to move this VPS temporary to a storage node a couple days ago but never did.

We have one bad node that we will be migrating everyone from once the new nodes arrive to the datacenter.

We are talking about minimal disk I/O at idle (4-5 iops/sec at 25-30% iowait time). iowait would get to 80-90% for anything more than 20-30 iops. Forget about running a nench.sh test. It just hang forever.

I am not trying to discount the fact that this issue is real, but this is something specific to how you have setup your VM. While the node has issues where the whole RAID array is acting very slow without any load on it - your server seeing 90% iowait is not replicated to other customers or even our test VM on the node, nor does the 'not even being able to run a benchmark' problem exists. We have had a few complaints about slow disk I/O where the benchmarks show 150-200MB/s instead of the normal 800-1000MB/s.

It's my first time with Hosthatch. I kept hearing how reliable/supported they are but I'm starting to wonder.

I'm sorry to hear your first time with us has not been pleasant and we will do our best to change that. But I think you would agree that we have timely taken care of most, if not all of your issues, out of the 15 tickets you have opened in the past 2 weeks. The migration issue is related to new nodes arriving to the datacenter, and we are doing our best to expedite that. Our support cannot do much to make it faster. This is a new location where we do not have the same capacity as we do in our older location (yet).

You'll find that the complaints to satisfied customers ratio is hugely in the favor of satisfied customers....and I'm sure we will take you to that side soon enough too.

My other storage VPSes with them are doing great, BTW.

Good to hear.

edited September 2019

tester4 said: Currently waiting on a reply to a ticket I submitted nearly 24 hours ago for a sales request, hopefully I haven't missed out on this deal because of the slower ticket reply

If you already deposited the amount before the promotion expired, we will provision it for you, no worries.

uptime said: they're not known for having the fastest support for these deep-discount deals.

Would just like to note that while this was the case, and is to still some effect that promotional customers get different level of support, we are working on delivering better to support to everyone in general. We recently hired a new support team lead (he replies here on LET sometimes).

Some issues we just can't solve quickly because they might have to do with development, or are waiting on external factors (like new equipment to arrive), but I think our support timings (and quality of responses) have definitely been much better over the past month or so, and will continue getting better over time once everyone on the support team is on the same page on how we need to do things better.

Unfortunately - one issue like the one above (with one bad node) happens, and it feels like all the progress we've made is gone, but it is not the case.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • tester4tester4 Member
    edited September 2019

@Abdullah said:

tester4 said: Currently waiting on a reply to a ticket I submitted nearly 24 hours ago for a sales request, hopefully I haven't missed out on this deal because of the slower ticket reply

If you already deposited the amount before the promotion expired, we will provision it for you, no worries.

uptime said: they're not known for having the fastest support for these deep-discount deals.

Would just like to note that while this was the case, and is to still some effect that promotional customers get different level of support, we are working on delivering better to support to everyone in general. We recently hired a new support team lead (he replies here on LET sometimes).

Some issues we just can't solve quickly because they might have to do with development, or are waiting on external factors (like new equipment to arrive), but I think our support timings (and quality of responses) have definitely been much better over the past month or so, and will continue getting better over time once everyone on the support team is on the same page on how we need to do things better.

Unfortunately - one issue like the one above (with one bad node) happens, and it feels like all the progress we've made is gone, but it is not the case.

I didn't deposit the amount as I was awaiting answers to a query about the free upgrade part I didn't understand, I did open the ticket during the offer period so hopefully it will still be honoured. The ticket ID is #577537.

• My client's e-commerce website is struggling on that bad node. We can't wait for it to get fixed as I was more than satisfied with VPS performance before this incident.

• ernie88 said: My client's e-commerce website

with all due respect ...

Thanked by 3ITLabs bdl ernie88
    edited September 2019

@ernie88 said:
    My client's e-commerce website is struggling on that bad node. We can't wait for it to get fixed as I was more than satisfied with VPS performance before this incident.

Please PM me your ticket # and I will get it moved over to a different node.

We can't do majority of the migrations until the new nodes arrive in Chicago but I can get you moved over now.

Also....just throwing it out there, please make sure to actually verify the issue you are seeing. We've had more than a couple tickets opened with "my server is slow" including no information on what exactly is slow and the reason being "someone said it on LET" when asked for more information, where they are not even on the same node.

• Well that's a bit stupid. Opened a ticket 48 hours ago DURING the offer timeframe but have just now had a reply saying I can't get it because it's past the offer time.

'Unfortunately this deal is no longer available at this time. We will not be able to make exceptions at this time. Please keep an eye out for future promotions.'

Looks like I'll be going elsewhere then.

Thanked by 1uptime

@tester4 said:
    Well that's a bit stupid. Opened a ticket 48 hours ago DURING the offer timeframe but have just now had a reply saying I can't get it because it's past the offer time.

'Unfortunately this deal is no longer available at this time. We will not be able to make exceptions at this time. Please keep an eye out for future promotions.'

Looks like I'll be going elsewhere then.

Sorry it did not work out. From the original post:

To order, please sign up/login at manage.hosthatch.com and deposit the appropriate amount of funds. Then open a ticket with sales mentioning the promotion/location you want. All special orders are manually provisioned so please allow up to 24 hours.

We did not have any deposit on your account and the promotion is already over. We honor all orders that follow the rules of the promotion.

Thanked by 4dfroe bdl Ouji chrisp
  • It's all good, bit long on support response times so dodged a potential issue in the future anyways.

Good luck with your business.

edited September 2019

@tester4 said:
    It's all good, bit long on support response times so dodged a potential issue in the future anyways.

I'm truly sorry we did not respond to your sales ticket on a Sunday with a bunch of questions for a promotional server that costs $1.25 per month. The promotion rules were quite clearly written here.

Good luck with your business.

And to you too.

• tester4tester4 Member
    edited September 2019

I opened the ticket on Sunday, didn't receive a reply throughout the entirety of Monday and took half the day on Tuesday to get a response. No need to try and make out that I didn't wait long enough when I did wait the entire of Monday/half way through Tuesday....

Blaming it on the cost of your own service isn't exactly an excuse either when a sales ticket for a $500 product would've been the exact same length. I asked 4 questions by the way, 3 of which were all related to the same thing (network queries). As I said, it's all good - the support reply lengths were too long as it is so I dodged a bullet, no need to take it personally.

edited September 2019

The promotion expired on Sunday night. At that point, our priority is to provision pending servers for customers who read the promotion rules and ordered the right way, rather than responding to sales tickets that we will later have to deny service to because the promotion is already over.

tester4 said: no need to take it personally.

Fully agreed and all the best to you.

Every promotion we have usually brings a customer or two who get angry if they were not able to get it - I even went a step ahead this time to have this promotion in two different periods to avoid this problem altogether.

It's only a promotion if we actually enforce the promotional rules. Sorry you weren't able to get it, nothing personal - as you said.

Thanked by 3bdl skorous coreflux
  • Its perfect... Great promo with two different periods of time and not BF... So, i think excellent timing to drain wallets until BF promos xD

Thanked by 2uptime Ouji
  • @risturiz said:
    Its perfect... Great promo with two different periods of time and not BF... So, i think excellent timing to drain wallets until BF promos xD

The champion milkman of LET.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • jbuggiejbuggie Member
    edited September 2019

My problem was solved after they moved the VPS temporary to a storage node. This graph shows the performance before and after the move. It is the same setup (encrypted disk) I use everywhere else. Hopefully this will clear up any confusion as whether my set up is part of the problem. It is not!

Thanked by 2hosthatch uptime
  • I've been waiting for 5 day to provision a Storage Plan... It seems they are really slow when they making this kind of deals on LET.